2009-2010 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Wait List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:soexcited: Accepted! :soexcited:
Top Third
Middle Third
Bottom Third

nickv429--------------top 1/3, I: 2/24-----------A: 3/8
azrael87--------------mid 1/3, I: 2/3------------A: 3/9
NotFound404---------mid 1/3, I: 2/3-------------A: 4/5 via email (MSTP x_o)
bamtuba--------------top 1/3, I: 8/26-----------A: 4/17 by mail *Withdrew*
eric51----------------top 1/3, I: Early Sept------A: 4/20 *Withdrew*
codenamekris'bf-------top 1/3, I: Mid-March------A: 4/19 by mail
pelliper---------------top 1/3? ------------------A: 4/21 by mail *Withdrew*
beachbabe27---------mid 1/3, I: 10/7------------A: 4/23
beachbabe27's friend--top 1/3, I: Early Nov------ A: 4/23
hi123-----------------mid 1/3, I: Late Nov------- A:4/22
offensiveline61--------Mid 1/3 -------------------A: 5/2 (prob bumped to top 1/3)
Suenya---------------top 1/3, I: early Oct ------A:5/5 by email
KGill36 ---------------top 1/3, ------------------A: 5/7 by mail *Withdrew*
jtink------------------top 1/3, I: Early April------A: 5/10 via status checker
Gromz----------------top 1/3-------------------A: 5/11
ItsAMarathon---------top 1/3-------------------A: 5/10ish *Withdrew*
hoping4accept--------top 1/3, I: Early March----A: 5/17
Paiger----------------top 1/3, I: Mid December--A: 5/19
Medmad--------------top 1/3, I: Mid April---------A: 5/20
Hopeful M D-----------top 1/3-------------------A: 5/18ish

Mizu------------------top 1/3, I: Late April

annihilatorpro---------top 1/3 (prev mid 1/3), I: Early February
bonkersNYC-----------top 1/3(prev mid 1/3), I: Early April

Jase834--------------Middle 1/3, I: Late November
Zarika----------------Middle 1/3
htcstd----------------Middle 1/3, I: Early April
ilivshi1----------------Middle 1/3, I: 4/28
nss4------------------Middle 1/3, I:October
a0K------------------Middle 1/3
softmed--------------Middle 1/3, I: November
danello87 ------------Middle 1/3, I: 2/24
Moose3---------------Middle 1/3, I: 1/27

onb2014--------------Bottom 1/3
sydsue027------------Bottom 1/3, I: 3/8
cardiology88----------Bottom 1/3
Madzera---------------Bottom 1/3

Members don't see this ad.

No, you can withdraw from Buffalo if you are accepted off the waitlist at a different school. However, being that it is past May 15 you will lose your 100 dollar deposit if you withdraw.

Congratulations!!

Thanks ... but if I call Buffalo and tell them I accept, it wont hurt my chances at the other schools? Like, does AMCAS notify them that Ive accepted a position, and so the other schools will no longer consider me for admission?

Thanks ... but if I call Buffalo and tell them I accept, it wont hurt my chances at the other schools? Like, does AMCAS notify them that Ive accepted a position, and so the other schools will no longer consider me for admission?

Admission committees know where you have had interviews and acceptances. For example, when I spoke with Mr. Rosso on 5/14 he told me that 79/140 students accepted to UB are/were holding multiple acceptances. I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes they know where you have accepted, but I don't know how they (admissions committee) take/handle that info. I would imagine that it wouldn't matter that much at this point, and would probably matter more as we approach August where the school would scramble to find committed students that would accept with no questions asked.
Sorry if this sounds like its all over the place, just a little tired.
:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)

Admission committees know where you have had interviews and acceptances. For example, when I spoke with Mr. Rosso on 5/14 he told me that 79/140 students accepted to UB are/were holding multiple acceptances. I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes they know where you have accepted, but I don't know how they (admissions committee) take/handle that info. I would imagine that it wouldn't matter that much at this point, and would probably matter more as we approach August where the school would scramble to find committed students that would accept with no questions asked.
Sorry if this sounds like its all over the place, just a little tired.
:sleep:

based on my understanding of it, other schools know where you are waitlisted/accepted; and yes it does seem to me that if they know you've been accepted elsewhere they're less likely to offer you an acceptance -- because they'd like to have their class filled/set so it would make more sense to offer the acceptance to someone that they know would take the spot for sure. i think that if you're certain that you would go to the other school that you're waitlisted at, you should let that school know.

(also, maybe my advice/comments are slightly biased, because if you got into that other school, i think there are a bunch of people here who have UB as their first choice and would LOVE to have your spot :) so GOOD LUCK!!! :luck:)

lets see some movement today!!:luck:

Has anyone spoken with admissions/Mr. Rosso lately? Any new news?

I kinda wish I never found this forum...It is very informative, but I can't stop checking it! AHHHH!!!!!! :eek:

;)

i tried calling in today, but got the answering machine. he probably gets a ton of phone calls haha.

+1 to Mr. Rosso, I am surprised he can sanely field so many phone calls all probably asking the same probing questions.

It doesn't look like there will be movement today :(

Megadisappointment here. It does look like it's slowed down. But I'm sure some people are getting in, just not SDN.

It doesn't look like there will be movement today :(

Megadisappointment here. It does look like it's slowed down. But I'm sure some people are getting in, just not SDN.

i hope people are getting in and just not posting, and its not just an overall slowing down. :xf:

I kinda wish I never found this forum...It is very informative, but I can't stop checking it! AHHHH!!!!!! :eek:

;)

I think it's our coping mechanism for our fear of the unknown to neurotically check the forums - it makes no difference to if/when we'll get accepted, but we do it anyways :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Annihilatorpro and BonkersNYC must be getting in any day now! :thumbup:

i hope people are getting in and just not posting, and its not just an overall slowing down. :xf:

Hopefully we'll be getting the trickle down effect of those who were recently accepted to Buffalo around the 15th and need to make their decisions.

Here's a post from the U of Arizona thread that puts our situation down in words:

ehandber said:
I agree. But also remember that even if we went through our list of people who were dead-set on NOT choosing UA (which is what it seems like, given the speed) we will see trickle-down spots for a while.

1) StudentA "Well, looks like I'm going to UA!"
2) StudentB "OH MY GOD I FINALLY GOT IN TO HOPKINS!!!!" (withdraw from Baylor)
3) StudentC "OH MY GOD I FINALLY GOT IN TO BAYLOR!!!!" (withdraw from UCLA)
4) StudentD "OH MY GOD I FINALLY GOT IN TO UCLA!!!!" (withdraw from Chicago)
5)***StudentA "OH MY GOD I FINALLY GOT IN TO CHICAGO! I guess I'll give up my UA spot afterall..." (withdraw from UA)

....And, another waitlist spot opens up.

The waitlist season has JUST begun, let's not lose hope that the list is slowing down :)

Hopefully we'll be getting the trickle down effect of those who were recently accepted to Buffalo around the 15th and need to make their decisions.

I think Buffalo is also at the bottom of the list for most SUNY hopefuls. The majority would like to go the closest to home, and Western NY only has about 2 million people (the rest of the state has 20 million). And for many of those people it would be a toss-up between Buffalo and Syracuse.

That's why there will be more movement. The question is, HOW much more movement. We're really dependent on other schools at this point.

Just want to add my self to the top 1/3. I was bumped up into the top 1/3 in April.

Top Third

Middle Third
Bottom Third

offensiveline61--------Mid 1/3 -------------------A: 5/2 (prob bumped to top 1/3)

eyushva1 -------------top 1/3(prev mid 1/3), I:Sept 09

Wow, this really isn't looking good.

that means we're not as close to the mid 1/3rd as we thought if eyushva1 was bumped up in april. I got bumped up at the end of april, after the last of the interviews.

that means we're not as close to the mid 1/3rd as we thought if eyushva1 was bumped up in april. I got bumped up at the end of april, after the last of the interviews.

And we also haven't moved (on this board anymore) for about a week now. Has anyone called the admissions office to find out if the WL has slowed down considerably?

just talked with Mr. Rosso, he said that there was a high turnover last week, and even movement today. he echoed what someone else posted last week saying that as of today, we're moving very similar to last year's waitlist. and he reiterated that last year 100% of the top 1/3rd got in. Anyway, I guess theres nothing in there, just keep hoping!

All of those bumped up in April to the top 1/3 could be a good sign though......means there are less people from the April interviews who were waitlisted and more people from the waitlist accepted during April. Ultimately-less people on the waitlist as a whole.

(If that makes no sense don't tell me......It's keeping my hopes up :idea: )

just talked with Mr. Rosso, he said that there was a high turnover last week, and even movement today. he echoed what someone else posted last week saying that as of today, we're moving very similar to last year's waitlist. and he reiterated that last year 100% of the top 1/3rd got in. Anyway, I guess theres nothing in there, just keep hoping!

Thanks for the update, bonkersNYC :thumbup:

if there was a high turnover last week, it would be nice to see people getting accepted and posting on this thread. c'mon accepted people please post :)

Adding myself to the list. So happy I got accepted. be hopeful and don't give up guys. Good Luck

Top Third
Middle Third
Bottom Third

ceilingkitteh-----mid 1/3(prob moved up), I: Early April-----A: 5/25

Adding myself to the list. So happy I got accepted. be hopeful and don't give up guys. Good Luck

CONGRATS! i interviewed early april, mid 1/3 and got bumped up too. i hope this means we're getting closer to where we are!

Hi guys - this is by far the most helpful thread. Best of luck to everyone still on the WL, I'm sure movement will pick up again soon.

Last edited:
IM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck everyone!! its gonna move!

Top Third
Middle Third
Bottom Third

bonkersNYC-----------top 1/3(prev mid 1/3), I: Early April-----A 5/26

Congrats! I knew you'd get in this week!!!! :thumbup: :D

This is great! I knew you guys/girls (whatever) would get in this week! WOO HOO! Almost to the middle!

That's awesome! Congrats folks!:)

Has everyone in the middle 1/3 called to make sure they're still middle? I know that once the top 1/3 is gone, you're still called middle, but some of you that may have interviewed a while back might actually have moved down (sorry if that's the case). But, I just wondered. Our middle looks big, so it was just a thought.

CONGRATS to all of you getting in! Yay for movement!

Has everyone in the middle 1/3 called to make sure they're still middle? I know that once the top 1/3 is gone, you're still called middle, but some of you that may have interviewed a while back might actually have moved down (sorry if that's the case). But, I just wondered. Our middle looks big, so it was just a thought.

I called at the beginning of May (when Mr. Russo said the WL would be finalized). I'm still in the middle third. But, I agree the middle third looks huge. I'm guessing that might be selection bias. If someone was in the bottom third, they might not be very active on this thread, b/c even if they get in (they've gotten to the bottom third plenty of times), it probably won't be until at least mid-July.

Congrats annihilatorpo and Bonkers NYC!!!!!!!!! I knew you guys would make it. And good luck to the Middle thirders (You guys are next).

I think the people in the lower are just not posting. I called a few days after the last day to make sure I was still in the middle (hoping I'd been moved up) but I was still there. The other possibility is that there are less people on the lowest tier.

If you look in last year's thread, they had two people that posted from on the lower tier at this point. As we've been getting closer to the middle tier, more people have been adding themselves to that list and I expect that as we get closer to the lower tier more people will add themselves.

Last edited:

Yup - i checked. Definitely middle 1/3 . This waiting thing is sort of a bummer.

Thanks for the info, the 3 who replied. That makes sense about bottom 1/3's not posting.....I feel like an idiot being there too.... :'(

Oh well, hopefully we'll all get in! I'm pretty sure if I have any chance it'll be right before school starts, which is fine by me, as long as I get in at some point!

Thanks everyone for the support - I hope the waitlist keeps moving at this pace and we can all laugh in august about how we were neurotically checking our statuses and SDN :)

Top Third
Middle Third
Bottom Third

bonkersNYC-----------top 1/3(prev mid 1/3), I: Early April-----A 5/26
annihilatorpro---------top 1/3 (prev mid 1/3), I: Early February---A 5/27

rooting for lots of movement tomorrow and the upcoming weeks. :xf:

HAHA! I'm psychic!

They were just next in line. Mid 1/3 we're up next! :D

I was accepted earlier this week sorry for the late post I very rarely go on this site. Received an email from AMCAS regarding a background check being requested from a school I had applied to and within a few minutes my online status changed to “Accepted” hope this info helps. Good luck to everyone still waiting be patient and stay positive, I wish you all the best!

HAHA! I'm psychic!

They were just next in line. Mid 1/3 we're up next! :D

:)

We really are! Someone will have to call late next week and see exactly what day they moved into it.

Congrats Annihilator, Bonkers, and Mizu!

I know this is a bit too early for me to be asking about it, given that I haven't gotten in yet. But, supposing I get off the middle third sometime in the middle of June, is that enough time to take out loans and to find an apartment in Buffalo? Does anyone care to explain how the loan process works? I didn't take out any loans for undergrad, so I'm completely new to this.

Thanks!

boy i must be the very last one in the top 1/3. I keep getting scared they skipped over me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.