2009-2010 University of Southern California (USC - Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would withdraw all my apps except for mt.sinai and wiat for march 12th to roll around. congrats

I wouldn't withdraw all your apps. You might want to wait on financial aid offers. I have a pretty firm view that applicants should make a ranked list of their schools and once they are accepted to certain institutions, withdraw from all schools below them on the list. This is what I've been trying to do, especially if I felt a very clear cut feeling against or for a particular medical school. If financial aid is an issue, again I'd wait. Personally, I think I wouldn't go to the interview (an oddly enough, I'm facing a very similar situation..also was offered a USC interview and am thinking of withdrawing.) We also seem to have applied to basically the same schools, although you may have fared a bit better on the interview offers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I got an interview invitation and signed up for March 12th (which seems really late....and I just feel like it's an interview for the waitlist). I've already been accepted to Sinai, NYU, Boston U, Temple and Georgetown and should be hearing about decisions from Yale, Penn, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, and Cornell (hopefully) by before March 12th. So I'm not sure if I should go or not? Or, make plans but cancel them if things change. Some of those schools are definitely higher up on my preference list.

I was really interested in Keck when applying, and the prospect of moving to LA, so I figure it still might be worth it to check things out. It's also a good excuse to visit some of my friends in LA (but an expensive plane ticket and hotel might not be worth that).

What would you do?

first thing I would do is NOT book a hotel, but rather stay at the friends' place.

first thing I would do is NOT book a hotel, but rather stay at the friends' place.

Yeah....but my friend lives in Long Beach. USC is near Hollywood. I am well aware of the reality of LA traffic and I'd probably spend nearly as much on a cab there and back to his house as I would on a cheap hotel near the medical school. It'd probably be 1.5 hours of driving each way (not fun). I think a hotel room is worth not having that stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah....but my friend lives in Long Beach. USC is near Hollywood. I am well aware of the reality of LA traffic and I'd probably spend nearly as much on a cab there and back to his house as I would on a cheap hotel near the medical school. It'd probably be 1.5 hours of driving each way (not fun). I think a hotel room is worth not having that stress.

I stayed with a student host. It was fun and free. . . but with all those acceptances it looks like you won;t be coming. I loved USC if it means anything though, I really think they have a world class program and are very underrated.

I stayed with my godbrother in Santa Monica. I was planning to take a cab but he loaned me his car. I expected the traffic to take an hour or more, but it only took 20 minutes. See if your friend has a car you can barrow -- that would make things very easy to drive to the interview. Also it would be awesome to have people to celebrate with afterward.

Can any current students *cough cough. . .Antibodies cough* lets us know what the revisit weekend is like. What ususally goes down?

Hi guys, Im planning to apply this coming June and just want to know if it's ok to take classes at CC to fulfill that 45 quarter hrs of humanities AFTER being accepted. I am not in school anymore so I will only take classes if I am accepted. Thanks for your help :D.

Hi guys, Im planning to apply this coming June and just want to know if it's ok to take classes at CC to fulfill that 45 quarter hrs of humanities AFTER being accepted. I am not in school anymore so I will only take classes if I am accepted. Thanks for your help :D.

Before my interview I was almost 100% positive that I was going to have to take more classes because I'm an engineering major, and have very few classes in the humanities. When I got to the interview, I saw my interview sheet said I wasn't missing any classes. I asked her if this was correct. She pulled my file and looked at my AMCAS "All Other" credits, which is way over 45 units, and said "Nope, you have fufilled the requirement" I was accepted in Nov, and they havn't said a peep about it.

The wierd thing is when people on SDN were calling at the beginning of the app cycle, they said that they would not accept classes like Engineering as humanities, but obviously they did it for me. I would say apply, and take the classes if you get offered an interview. At your interview, have them check your status.

Good luck.

what's the rejection rate like for post-interviewers here?

It looks like 354/622 (57%) were offered acceptence, so about 43% are rejected.

-------------------------------

From US News (Fall 2008 Admissions Data):

Total admissions data 6617 applied, 622 interviewed, 354 were accepted, 159 enrolled

In-state admissions data 3540 applied, 236 were accepted, 121 enrolled

Out-of-state admissions data 3077 applied, 118 were accepted, 38 enrolled

Women's admissions data 3085 applied, 295 interviewed, 178 were accepted, 73 enrolled

Minority admissions data 3059 applied, 275 interviewed, 159 were accepted, 80 enrolled

International admissions data 314 applied, 10 were accepted, 6 enrolled

Alternate list by snail mail. Because the letter was reasonably thick I got excited, but it turned out to be an alternate response form and return envelope. Hopefully I'll hear encouraging news later.

Wow!! Accepted Yesterday! What a nice acceptance letter, the hand written note by the Dean was a great touch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my letter in the mail last night! (I interviewed 12/8) My first acceptance, I'm so excited!

Can't wait to see some of you at orientation. :)

Has anyone who has interviewed during the week of 1/18 - 1/22 heard anything yet?? Im starting to get anxious...

yea i interviewed 1/19 and got my alternate list letter yesterday... BOO!!:(

Same here, interviewed 1/19 and got my alternate list letter today.
1. Are people sending in a personal letter with the form
2. Do all alternate letters say the same thing about how everything went great (interviews and all)
3. do usc reject peopleat all post interview?

Same here, interviewed 1/19 and got my alternate list letter today.
1. Are people sending in a personal letter with the form
2. Do all alternate letters say the same thing about how everything went great (interviews and all)
3. do usc reject peopleat all post interview?

From what I seen last year on SDN, they don't reject post interview. (Eventually yes, but not right after the interview).

All the letters are very nicely worded.

int. 1/19. Acceptance letter and google group invite via e-mail today.

Words cannot express how grateful (and exhausted) I am.

I'm going to have to change my signature now!

:laugh:

I got in!!! I received an invitation to the Google group, but haven't received the official letter yet... I interviewed 1/19.. Yayayayaya!!!

Congratulations! Are you going to second look?

What IS second look day anyway? Just an excuse to check out the school again, figure out financial and living stuff? In either case it'd probably be a good excuse just to go party in LA for a weekend.

In either case it'd probably be a good excuse just to go party in LA for a weekend.

Lets be honest. This is the real reason for second look LOL. You gonna go? I think it could be fun.

Lets be honest. This is the real reason for second look LOL. You gonna go? I think it could be fun.

Yeah, I'll be there for sure. The tickets are pretty cheap, my job ends in April, and I've got close friends/family in LA so it will be great to visit. You going?

Also, the basketball game on thursday sucked. That little guy Randle kicked our a**es. Were you there?

Yeah, I'll be there for sure. The tickets are pretty cheap, my job ends in April, and I've got close friends/family in LA so it will be great to visit. You going?

Also, the basketball game on thursday sucked. That little guy Randle kicked our a**es. Were you there?

Yeah I was there to witness Randle in all his glory. You go to UDub? So you can understand my feelings of never rooting forma trojan sports team if I decide to go to keck? Lol

I'm pretty sure I'll be there second look. Have nothing to lose.

Yeah I was there to witness Randle in all his glory. You go to UDub? So you can understand my feelings of never rooting forma trojan sports team if I decide to go to keck? Lol

I'm pretty sure I'll be there second look. Have nothing to lose.

Yeah I'm a Husky. I'll be fine rooting for the Trojans for some games but I'll always bleed purple, so you know what color shirt I'll be wearing when the huskies fly to the Colosseum next fall.

Actually, my faculty interviewer asked me "what do you think the hardest part about coming to school at USC will be?" and I told him, "Well... I've got a lot of purple shirts."

Congrats to all those accepted. Looking forward to meeting you all at the second look weekend.

I'm trying to finalize my summer plans, so does anyone know when orientation will be?

I have no idea where to even begin to look for housing. Which of these tabs on the Craigslist is the campus? Or which is closest to the campus? Which ones have USC transportation passing through?

Westside-Southbay
SF valley
central LA
San Gabriel Valley
Long Beach 562
Antelope Valley

I don't want to drive if I can help it to the school.

I have no idea where to even begin to look for housing. Which of these tabs on the Craigslist is the campus? Or which is closest to the campus? Which ones have USC transportation passing through?

Westside-Southbay
SF valley
central LA
San Gabriel Valley
Long Beach 562
Antelope Valley

I don't want to drive if I can help it to the school.

That is a lot of questions hehe. Search the back boards for my username. We had a housing discussion here before.

You will pretty much have to drive (or bike). There are some close by housing that will allow you to walk. There is an apartment building (called Mozaic Apartments) right by Union Station. I believe their is a USC bus that goes from there to campus. Might be worth looking into. However, the area by Union Station is sort of loud and the apartments there are expensive (however they are nice)

Anyone know if Keck hands out any merit based scholarships? I'm still debating whether or not to attend an interview there next month...but if they offer scholarships it's totally worth it for more to try it out.

Just got the google group invite/acceptance today! so grateful, what an awesome school :) It was rather strange getting an acceptance through a google group invite though, anyone know if they actually call, or if its just a letter?
Interviewed - 1/15/10 Accepted - 2/16/10

Anyone know if Keck hands out any merit based scholarships? I'm still debating whether or not to attend an interview there next month...but if they offer scholarships it's totally worth it for more to try it out.

They do, but I don't think that many. I wouldn't count on it. More go to the 3rd and 4th years.

Just got the google group invite/acceptance today! so grateful, what an awesome school :) It was rather strange getting an acceptance through a google group invite though, anyone know if they actually call, or if its just a letter?
Interviewed - 1/15/10 Accepted - 2/16/10

You will let a letter in the mail too. No call.

I know someone who has received a 25, 000 a year scholarship. Even before filling out his fafsa.

yes, you could say that. Why do they only give them to URMs?

I'm not sure if it had any relevance. Sometimes there's more scholarships specifically for URM's entering the medical profession...i.e. money set aside to help promote diversity in medicine. I don't disagree with this at all (I am not URM). Just curious.

is anyone else here still rocking the complete-but-no-interview-invite status? i got that prank rejection a few weeks ago, followed by a retraction. you'd think it'd be pretty cruel to hand me a second rejection pre-interview. at least i'd be among the few in the history of USC to be rejected twice from their school in the same app cycle :laugh:

BTW decided to attend. Booked my flights and got a four star hotel in downtown LA for $80 on priceline. Woot! Anyone else going the 12th?

For those who filed fafsa for this school...

the federal code for this school is 001328 right? And the category is professional/graduate school?

How can they tell the difference in tuition between usc law/dental/graduate/med school?

did i do something wrong?

For those who filed fafsa for this school...

the federal code for this school is 001328 right? And the category is professional/graduate school?

How can they tell the difference in tuition between usc law/dental/graduate/med school?

did i do something wrong?

Some schools have separate codes for Med versus Law or Undergrad, but some of them just have one code that encompasses all of the schools within that university.

I'm pretty sure.

BTW decided to attend. Booked my flights and got a four star hotel in downtown LA for $80 on priceline. Woot! Anyone else going the 12th?

What hotel did you book at? I'm flying down the 25th for an interview the next day.

Has anyone stayed at the Marengo Inn across the street from Keck? It looks sketchy but I would save on a 7AM taxi trip.

By the way, does anyone have advice on taxis? Did you have the hotel arrange for one at the appropriate time?

Thanks,
Ascenda

I called the admissions office today to make sure they had received my deposit and affirmation letter. She told me they received it several days ago. So, I guess there is no notification, either status page or email, when they receive it.

I mention this b/c several pages back some people were concerned that they sent in their money and had heard nothing.

Give them a call...they are super nice and it took about 30 seconds...(and made me feel better:D)

I called the admissions office today to make sure they had received my deposit and affirmation letter. She told me they received it several days ago. So, I guess there is no notification, either status page or email, when they receive it.

I mention this b/c several pages back some people were concerned that they sent in their money and had heard nothing.

Give them a call...they are super nice and it took about 30 seconds...(and made me feel better:D)

Yup, there is no notification. Just call them. And they probably know your name already. Admissions has very nice people.

Anyone interviewing in March thought about staying with a student?

I got the Student Housing list from admissions and have contacted two different students so far... neither have replied back though.
Can anyone recommend a particular student from the list before I mass email them all....

Please and thank you. !!

is anyone else here still rocking the complete-but-no-interview-invite status? i got that prank rejection a few weeks ago, followed by a retraction. you'd think it'd be pretty cruel to hand me a second rejection pre-interview. at least i'd be among the few in the history of USC to be rejected twice from their school in the same app cycle :laugh:

I got the prank rejection followed by the retraction too, and haven't heard anything since. I also applied to this school two years ago. This may be the only school I applied to twice, and rejected from three times.

Anyone interviewing in March thought about staying with a student?

I got the Student Housing list from admissions and have contacted two different students so far... neither have replied back though.
Can anyone recommend a particular student from the list before I mass email them all....

Please and thank you. !!

I didn't stay with a student host, but just interviewed there on Wednesday, The M1's have a big test on Friday, so may be really busy studying.

Status
Not open for further replies.