2009-2010 University of Southern California (USC - Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interviewing in March thought about staying with a student?

I got the Student Housing list from admissions and have contacted two different students so far... neither have replied back though.
Can anyone recommend a particular student from the list before I mass email them all....

Please and thank you. !!

I e-mailed every last individual on that list. Half did not respond and half told me they are on spring break when I'm interviewing (Feb 26). Given the low response rate, I'd spam the entire list.

Ascenda

Members don't see this ad.

I got the prank rejection followed by the retraction too, and haven't heard anything since. I also applied to this school two years ago. This may be the only school I applied to twice, and rejected from three times.

Well, I just got that third and final rejection letter.

I wonder why they couldn't have just let the prank rejection letter stand, and only rescind it for applicants who were granted interviews?

zing, same here.

I wonder why they couldn't have just let the prank rejection letter stand, and only rescind it for applicants who were granted interviews?

seriously rude of them. fortunately i have been accepted to another school that i am happy with, but what if this was my absolute dream school, i wouldn't be able to handle x2 the rejection...

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected again!

yeah, being rejected twice suckssss... but at least their rejection letter was slightly better than a few other schools!
and the fact that i am now oh-so conditioned to rejections!

Me too! Stay classy USC :cool:

I didn't stay with a student host, but just interviewed there on Wednesday, The M1's have a big test on Friday, so may be really busy studying.

Ahh... that makes sense.
So where did you stay at, and do you have any pointers for the interview.
This is my only one and I'm pretty nervous/excited.

Thanks in advance.

Ascenda, thanks for your comment about the student housing at USC.
I'm gonna spam the whole list and cross my fingers.

Best of luck to you and thanks again!

Ascenda, thanks for your comment about the student housing at USC.
I'm gonna spam the whole list and cross my fingers.

Best of luck to you and thanks again!

If you can't get housing definitely try priceline. I got a room at a Westin about 2 miles from USC in downtown LA for like $79.

fortunately i have been accepted to another school that i am happy with, but what if this was my absolute dream school, i wouldn't be able to handle x2 the rejection...

Me too. Although Cali would be nice (who doesn't love the weather there?), I'm very happy with my acceptances.

Still, the earlier rejection letter would have got the message across and avoided all the subsequent drama.

Ahh... that makes sense.
So where did you stay at, and do you have any pointers for the interview.
This is my only one and I'm pretty nervous/excited.

Thanks in advance.

I stayed downtown at the Wilshire Grand, but it was rather spendy, especially overnight parking. The metro lines run to Union Station, and from there you can get a shuttle bus to the campus. It is nice to have a car though if you want to do some sightseeing or see more beyond the campus.

Both of my interviews were very laid back. My best advice is to just be yourself, and be prepared for warm weather (I was way too hot).

Good luck! :xf:

I've noticed a lot of Oregon kids on this thread...interesting.

Anybody interview here on 2/2/10? Getting anxious!

I've noticed a lot of Oregon kids on this thread...interesting.

Anybody interview here on 2/2/10? Getting anxious!

We dream of sunshine :). Though Portland has had some nice weather this past week.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I'm counting on, but I believe I read about somebody on here hearing around 3 weeks. No guarantees until 6 weeks though.

I interviewed 1/15 and heard back 2/6. That was much faster than they told me at the interview (6 weeks).

That's what I'm counting on, but I believe I read about somebody on here hearing around 3 weeks. No guarantees until 6 weeks though.

I interviewed 12/1 and got the letter 2/8. So they sometimes go over 8 weeks. But my letter was printed 1/14 or something.

I interviewed 12/1 and got the letter 2/8. So they sometimes go over 8 weeks. But my letter was printed 1/14 or something.

That's encouraging! At least it sounds like they review/decide within a couple weeks of the interview, then send out decisions in batches. Did you receive this fortuitous Google groups invite earlier than the physical letter? I swear I'm not obsessing about this.

There is a possibility that the admissions committee did not meet in December (Christmas Holidays). They met on 1/14 and it is the decision date. You have to find out the day the admission committee meets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone know how we can access the supplemental financial aid application? Its asking for a 10 digit USC ID. Thanks

anyone worried they're giving out too many acceptances? :scared:

it's probably just the neurotic paranoid pre-med... i mean... accepted, soon-to-be matriculated med student in me..

Got the acceptance today. :love:

Via snail mail. No email. What's the google group?

Got the acceptance today. :love:

Via snail mail. No email. What's the google group?

I assume this is the acceptance letter! When did you interview? When was this mailed out? Thanks for the info.

Did anyone out there gain acceptance to Keck after testing out of (in effect, skipping) first quarter Gen. Chem?

Naturally, your transcript reflected that you tested into a more advanced gen. chem class when you started the gchem series and finished the series in a shorter amount of time, but did Keck make you go back and take another chemistry class to fulfill the admissions requirements? After all, the requirements for Keck are "General Chemistry + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters." http://www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/...m/require.html

But if testing out of 1st quarter gen. chem "doesn't count" for the admissions requirements then what is there left to take, assuming one also completes the orgo series in its entirety?

It's not clear to me. Maybe someone out there with an acceptance from Keck this year who overcame this situation can shed some light on this for a friend of mine. She is applying next year. Suddenly, since I managed to get into this place myself I am supposedly an expert in admissions, but I honestly don't know.

On a side note, I don't know who asked but I wanted to suggest CALLING the admissions office before going to this website to submit the Supplemental Form: https://camel2.usc.edu/ESD/IOL/login.aspx

When you call, ask them for your USC Student ID (it's instant) and then you can sign up for an account within the Financial Aid Information Gateway to submit all the forms you want, including the Supplemental Form.

Did anyone out there gain acceptance to Keck after testing out of (in effect, skipping) first quarter Gen. Chem?

Naturally, your transcript reflected that you tested into a more advanced gen. chem class when you started the gchem series and finished the series in a shorter amount of time, but did Keck make you go back and take another chemistry class to fulfill the admissions requirements? After all, the requirements for Keck are "General Chemistry + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters." http://www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/...m/require.html

But if testing out of 1st quarter gen. chem "doesn't count" for the admissions requirements then what is there left to take, assuming one also completes the orgo series in its entirety?

It's not clear to me. Maybe someone out there with an acceptance from Keck this year who overcame this situation can shed some light on this for a friend of mine. She is applying next year. Suddenly, since I managed to get into this place myself I am supposedly an expert in admissions, but I honestly don't know.

On a side note, I don't know who asked but I wanted to suggest CALLING the admissions office before going to this website to submit the Supplemental Form: https://camel2.usc.edu/ESD/IOL/login.aspx

When you call, ask them for your USC Student ID (it's instant) and then you can sign up for an account within the Financial Aid Information Gateway to submit all the forms you want, including the Supplemental Form.

Just call admissions and ask.

I had this question also and called their office. I was told that you must have taken two semesters (3 quarters) of gen chem or have taken an upper division chemistry class, besides biochem, to fulfill their gen chem requirement. Also your ochem series does not fulfill the gen chem requirement.

That's encouraging! At least it sounds like they review/decide within a couple weeks of the interview, then send out decisions in batches. Did you receive this fortuitous Google groups invite earlier than the physical letter? I swear I'm not obsessing about this.

I received the Google Group invite letter the same day I received the letter.

Got the letter and google invite today! Letter was dated Feb 22nd and was mailed on the 1st. I interviewed at the end of January, so be in the look out if you did too

Got the letter and google invite today! Letter was dated Feb 22nd and was mailed on the 1st. I interviewed at the end of January, so be in the look out if you did too

Congratulations! I received the google invite yesterday, but haven't received the snail mail letter yet. So excited!!

Hey all-

So I have an interview at USC on Friday...only I haven't really been given any details about who I'm interviewing with, what the day is like, where to show up. Do they email/send you something beforehand?

Hey all-

So I have an interview at USC on Friday...only I haven't really been given any details about who I'm interviewing with, what the day is like, where to show up. Do they email/send you something beforehand?

They e-mail you two days before with the name of your interviewer, the time and other instructions. Then you have to call the office the day before to confirm.

They e-mail you two days before with the name of your interviewer, the time and other instructions. Then you have to call the office the day before to confirm.

oh ok. gotcha. so they'll email me Wednesday?

oh ok. gotcha. so they'll email me Wednesday?

Also it might show up on your online status. Look under the "schedule interview" for the interview procedures, my faculty interview was listed there.

Match results are in for the graduating class.
Once again Keck had an awesome match.

small summary:
11 orthopedic surgery
3 derm
11 radiology
7 Otolaryngology
13 family medicine
25 internal medicine
22 pediatrics
15 EM

Hi everyone,

I have two questions:

(1) What is the earliest that USC Keck notifies incoming students that they have received a scholarship? Are the notifications this Spring, Summer, or Fall?

(2) I interviewed at Keck on Feb 26. I'm trying to gauge what the current notification lag time is. I haven't seen any recent interview/admit dates posted to this forum. Anyone have news they want to share? Also, has anyone been rejected post interview at Keck? I have seen only acceptances and nothing else.

Thanks for your guys' input.

Best,
Ascenda

(1) What is the earliest that USC Keck notifies incoming students that they have received a scholarship? Are the notifications this Spring, Summer, or Fall?

Hi Ascenda,

I don't know about current lag times. I hope the best for you! To answer the scholarship question, I heard that a lucky few get $ with their admission offer, need based grants come out in early April after you fill out their fin aid forms, and, for other school based scholarships, you apply in the summer. Many scholarships are not given out until MS3, I've heard.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Ascenda: The turnaround time between interviewing and the final decision is about 6 weeks. This wait is KILLING ME!!!!

Hi everyone,

I have two questions:

(2) I interviewed at Keck on Feb 26. I'm trying to gauge what the current notification lag time is. I haven't seen any recent interview/admit dates posted to this forum. Anyone have news they want to share? Also, has anyone been rejected post interview at Keck? I have seen only acceptances and nothing else.

Thanks for your guys' input.

Best,
Ascenda

1. Don't know.
2. No post-interview rejection. Either acceptance or waitlist. (At least that is how it was before).

Hey guys,

Antibodies - Thanks for the info. It's definitely comforting to hear!

caseofthemndays - Yeah, no kidding. I eagerly open my mail box every day, even though I know the decision is a ways off. When did you interview?

hobbes23 - Hey buddy, recognize me? H to the A to the O-D-B! ;)

Best,
Ascenda

Ascenda: march 5th, so I don't expect to hear back until mid-late April. That doesn't stop me from checking my e-mail and status update page about every hour, and that's on a good day.

Ascenda: march 5th, so I don't expect to hear back until mid-late April. That doesn't stop me from checking my e-mail and status update page about every hour, and that's on a good day.

Inbox open all day. My mailman shows up between 1:40 and 2:00pm. I don't know what I'll do with myself once I don't have something to wait around for.

Inbox open all day. My mailman shows up between 1:40 and 2:00pm. I don't know what I'll do with myself once I don't have something to wait around for.

Me neither. Personally, I'm into stocks - provides endless opportunity to watch, hit refresh, and obsess!

How are the waitlists ordered? Are they by rank or by interview date?

Status
Not open for further replies.