2009-2010 University of Southern California (USC - Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any luck sending a letter of intent to get off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any luck sending a letter of intent to get off the waitlist?

These are taken very seriously from what I understand.

To all those who have the opportunity to come to second look, do your best to come, especially if you're not sure about where you want to be. I know that they day had a big impact on me and on many others. Plus, they put together a really great program, and the food is AMAZING.

Feel free to PM with any questions you all might have but don't want to put out here for all to see.

To those still waiting, good luck and fight on!

These are taken very seriously from what I understand.

To all those who have the opportunity to come to second look, do your best to come, especially if you're not sure about where you want to be. I know that they day had a big impact on me and on many others. Plus, they put together a really great program, and the food is AMAZING.

Feel free to PM with any questions you all might have but don't want to put out here for all to see.

To those still waiting, good luck and fight on!

where did you send your LOIs? I emailed one to the admissions committee email and never heard back

where did you send your LOIs? I emailed one to the admissions committee email and never heard back

E-mail them to the admissions office. I don't know if they reply back or not but you can always call and double check.

Waitlist letter today. Interviewed 2/17 and they mailed the letter 3/26, so about 5.5 weeks. Here's to hoping to getting in off the waitlist - I'm not very excited to be looking at doing the whole application process again.

Does anyone know if the status update page displays accepted/waitlist status? Interviewed 3/5

Everyone mentions this so...

Is smog really an issue in LA? I mean, can you feel the deleterious effects from it when you're working out or something?

Oh, and does the weather get unbearable often?

sorry for the possibly stupid questions.

Everyone mentions this so...

Is smog really an issue in LA? I mean, can you feel the deleterious effects from it when you're working out or something?

You can see the smog over downtown on certain days... but it doesn't have any effects on you... yet (who knows.. maybe when we are all old.. but on a daily basis there is no effect)

Oh, and does the weather get unbearable often?

sorry for the possibly stupid questions.

Not really, all the buildings have AC. The first year lecture hall is actually extremely cold.
On the really hot days you just do: Lecture hall -> car with AC -> home with AC.
But again, not that big of a problem.

Also, when renting an apartment make sure there is an air conditioner. Pretty much all buildings have them so this shouldn't be a problem, but still double check. Central AC is better than the single window unit.

Last edited:
So these letters of intent are just addressed to the Admission Committee or do we direct them to the dean?

I was also curious about the timing of these letters. I haven't heard back from my interview yet so I have no idea where I stand. Would it be in bad taste to send a letter of intent this early, even if I'm sure this is the school I want to attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
So these letters of intent are just addressed to the Admission Committee or do we direct them to the dean?

I was also curious about the timing of these letters. I haven't heard back from my interview yet so I have no idea where I stand. Would it be in bad taste to send a letter of intent this early, even if I'm sure this is the school I want to attend?

I would address it to the adcom.
When I applied, I sent my LOI before hearing back--if it's well-written & compelling, why wouldn't you want it available when they're making a decision on you?

Sorry I'm new to this writing LOIs and been away from this forum for a while, but am I just addressing this letter "To Whom it May Concern," or "To the Admission Committee", or is there a specific person I should address it to?

Thanks for all your help.

Hey gnu!

For what it is worth, I addressed one to Dr. Quinn and one "To the Admissions Committee". I don't think you can go wrong either way though. Best of luck!

Hey all, i interviewed 3/2 and I just got a letter placing me on the alternate list. This may have been mentioned on this thread before, so I apologize if the following question is redundant, but does the alternate list move very much at USC? Plus, does USC reject applicants post interview, or is there a huge alternate list? Thanks!

Hey all, i interviewed 3/2 and I just got a letter placing me on the alternate list. This may have been mentioned on this thread before, so I apologize if the following question is redundant, but does the alternate list move very much at USC? Plus, does USC reject applicants post interview, or is there a huge alternate list? Thanks!

There is good waitlist movement.
It does not seem that there are post-interview rejections. Everyone is either waitlist or accepted. However, don't start to worry just yet. Remember that Keck doesn't interview that many applicants to begin with. So overall the acceptance rate (straight out acceptance and acceptance from waitlist) is pretty high.

"Dear Members of the Admissions Committee"

Sorry I'm new to this writing LOIs and been away from this forum for a while, but am I just addressing this letter "To Whom it May Concern," or "To the Admission Committee", or is there a specific person I should address it to?

Thanks for all your help.

"Dear Members of the Admissions Committee"

I've tried to address letters to each school to the Dean of Admissions followed by the committee...so in a fairy tale case...

"Dear Dean Dumbledore and the Hogwarts Medical School Admissions Committee..."

I've tried to address letters to each school to the Dean of Admissions followed by the committee...so in a fairy tale case...

"Dear Dean Dumbledore and the Hogwarts Medical School Admissions Committee..."

I would address the LOI to Dr. Quinn.

Also, tomorrow is financial aid package day!! wahoo!

Is it really?? Did they just tell you that or is that for everyone?

that's what fin aid said and it's also on your 'my financial documents' log-in site.

Thank you for visiting the USC Financial Aid Office. Your financial aid information is currently unavailable because your award has not yet been determined. Graduate students should receive their Financial Aid Summaries starting April 1 and continuing throughout the summer. Continuing undergraduate students will begin receiving their Financial Aid Summaries in June. Thank you for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, or need to speak with a financial aid counselor, please visit www.usc.edu/financialaid or contact us at www.usc.edu/contactfao

Hey everyone, even though I absolutley loved the program at keck, the price is just too much for me and I will be withdrawing. This leaves me with a question. The AAMC reccomendations for schools says that the $100 deposit should be refundable before may 15th. Does keck have to follow this, or is it just a "reccomendation". None the less I hope one of you guys gets off the waitlist. Good luck everyone.

That was my point. The AAMC guidelines say that they should be refundable until May 15th. So does that mean Keck is breaking some rule, or is this only a "reccomendation" and not a rule.

I think you answered your own question in your original post. A school doesn't have to follow a guideline.Likewise a guideline is not a requirement or a rule.

that's what fin aid said and it's also on your 'my financial documents' log-in site.

Thank you for visiting the USC Financial Aid Office. Your financial aid information is currently unavailable because your award has not yet been determined. Graduate students should receive their Financial Aid Summaries starting April 1 and continuing throughout the summer. Continuing undergraduate students will begin receiving their Financial Aid Summaries in June. Thank you for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, or need to speak with a financial aid counselor, please visit www.usc.edu/financialaid or contact us at www.usc.edu/contactfao

Is anyone able to view their FA award yet?

I submitted my documents in early March and I'm still getting the above message. I am not too concerned because I was originally told that awards would come out in early April (rather than on the 1st specifically).

Is anyone able to view their FA award yet?

I submitted my documents in early March and I'm still getting the above message. I am not too concerned because I was originally told that awards would come out in early April (rather than on the 1st specifically).

not yet.

Has anyone who interviewed in late Feb or March been accepted? I've only seen people being waitlisted. I interviewed March, and I was waitlisted as well...

Has anyone who interviewed in late Feb or March been accepted? I've only seen people being waitlisted. I interviewed March, and I was waitlisted as well...

I interviewed on February 26, and have not heard back yet. Kinda odd that you've already heard back even though you interviewed after me.

I interviewed on February 26, and have not heard back yet. Kinda odd that you've already heard back even though you interviewed after me.

I also interviewed Feb. 26, and I just arrived home after a week in Yosemite [staying away from the mailbox] to find... nothing.

I also interviewed Feb. 26, and I just arrived home after a week in Yosemite [staying away from the mailbox] to find... nothing.

It was a big group that day (though it's probably big any day). I wonder if we spoke to each other? Regardless, I hope you get in!

It was a big group that day (though it's probably big any day). I wonder if we spoke to each other? Regardless, I hope you get in!

I was that guy with the hair. It was a big group, yeah, that's why we had to move to the other side of the lobby to accommodate everyone.

I was that guy with the hair. It was a big group, yeah, that's why we had to move to the other side of the lobby to accommodate everyone.

I do remember switching to the other side. But I can't remember the hair... Let's see, there was the flamingly gay guy, there was the buff guy, I was the Pakistani guy, and then there were two other dudes.

I do remember switching to the other side. But I can't remember the hair... Let's see, there was the flamingly gay guy, there was the buff guy, I was the Pakistani guy, and then there were two other dudes.

Pakistani from Oregon, I think I actually remember you. I don't really have that impressive hair, but I was the local from Orange County.

Yes, accepted. Interviewed March 5th, letter dated March 22.

Waitlisted. March 9th interview. Dated March 22nd. Best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear!

Wow you heard already? I interviewed March 12th. Did you find out via snail mail?

Yes, snail mail, postmarked March 29. Best of luck to you; I'd imagine you'll be hearing very soon.

Yes, snail mail, postmarked March 29. Best of luck to you; I'd imagine you'll be hearing very soon.

Thanks. Where do you live? I'm on the East Coast so I assume it'll take a while to get here with my decision. I was kind of expecting a waitlist anyway, because I was under the impression they weren't really giving out any more acceptances.

Wait listed too. :(
Interview March 9. Dated March 22.

Last edited:
Thanks. Where do you live? I'm on the East Coast so I assume it'll take a while to get here with my decision. I was kind of expecting a waitlist anyway, because I was under the impression they weren't really giving out any more acceptances.

Live in NY, so working with the same delivery timeline you'll see.

They're clearly still giving out acceptances so don't lose hope. Good luck, buddy.

Pakistani from Oregon, I think I actually remember you. I don't really have that impressive hair, but I was the local from Orange County.

I remember you now. You had a goatee too - and I do remember the hair. I was waitlisted on Friday. *sigh*

If I'm pretty sure I'm going to USC is second look really important/necessary?

My problem = no time & no money and we all know time = $$$$

If I'm pretty sure I'm going to USC is second look really important/necessary?

My problem = no time & no money and we all know time = $$$$

By the looks of the mass emails, people are gona try to hook up with roommates during the second look or at least scout housing. Might be worth it if you're unfamiliar with socal.

Status
Not open for further replies.