2010-2011 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in staying with a student host, but I didn't see an option to select this. Looking back on my dashboard it says if you selected "Yes" to wanting a student host you will be contacted, but I don't recall being prompted to respond to that question. Does anyone know where I can change this so that I can find a student host? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in staying with a student host, but I didn't see an option to select this. Looking back on my dashboard it says if you selected "Yes" to wanting a student host you will be contacted, but I don't recall being prompted to respond to that question. Does anyone know where I can change this so that I can find a student host? Thanks!

Anyone? Thanks!

Anyone? Thanks!

I did this as well. You have to go back to your confirmation email after you scheduled the interview. There's a small line in there about it. You have to fill out a Google document with your preferences and submit it. However, I did not get a response from this, so I had to call the admissions office as well, and they told me to email them. I believe it was [email protected] or something like that, but they can give it to you, but you should try the Google doc first because many ppl got a response just from that

Members don't see this ad :)
40P 3.8
complete 3.5 weeks ago
no interview =/ i like my essays too. i guess i have to just trust that they made the right choice and that Duke isn't my best fit. good luck everybody!

Interviewing here Thursday! Super excited about going back to Duke! Any advice/interview process info/experiences?

40P 3.8
complete 3.5 weeks ago
no interview =/ i like my essays too. i guess i have to just trust that they made the right choice and that Duke isn't my best fit. good luck everybody!

I was complete on 8/2/10 and I just got invited this morning. You have nothing to worrry about.

Just interviewed at Duke today! Their campus is beautiful and their interviews are fairly laid back... If there is one problem with Duke it's that they don't have rolling admissions...

I was complete on 8/2/10 and I just got invited this morning. You have nothing to worrry about.

i should have been more specific. my status on their website has changed to something along the lines of "we won't be able to offer you an interview cycle". It's ok though. I'll see what happens with other schools. Thanks for the attempt at encouragement though =]

i should have been more specific. my status on their website has changed to something along the lines of "we won't be able to offer you an interview cycle". It's ok though. I'll see what happens with other schools. Thanks for the attempt at encouragement though =]

aw bummer, dude! sorry to hear that, but you have the right attitude completely. tons of other amazing schools, and with your stats, you will walk into most of them with ease. stay psyched!

all's quiet on the western front...

all's quiet on the western front...
yeah duke doesnt start accepting till march so unlike other threads that have been buzzing all weekend, its mega quiet...
Nehows, question for those who chose virtual interviews...how long is the wait usually before you hear back from an interviewer? I switched to virtual 3 weeks ago and havent heard a peep since.

yeah duke doesnt start accepting till march so unlike other threads that have been buzzing all weekend, its mega quiet...
Nehows, question for those who chose virtual interviews...how long is the wait usually before you hear back from an interviewer? I switched to virtual 3 weeks ago and havent heard a peep since.

My interview invite was on August 2nd, and it was almost six weeks before I heard anything back about the virtual interview. You seem to be in good shape.

Any updates on the virtual interviews? I talked to an interviewer a little over a month ago... he said to be patient... is it time to get nervous yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking to submit in the next week week and a half. 3.86/3.88 34P. Worth submitting?

Definitely: your MCAT is right at the average and your GPA is above average.

Hi guys, I am having a hard time figuring out how to upload my rec letters. I am supposed to send it with virtual evals right? How do you go about uploading letters through that service? Do I have to sign up or my letter writers sign up?

Also, we are supposed to send our letters before our interview dates?

Hi guys, I am having a hard time figuring out how to upload my rec letters. I am supposed to send it with virtual evals right? How do you go about uploading letters through that service? Do I have to sign up or my letter writers sign up?

Also, we are supposed to send our letters before our interview dates?

If your school uses virtual evals you can use that at any time, otherwise I believe you are supposed to wait until you are offered an interview and then forward a packet via snail mail. When I had my interview one of the other applicants hadn't gotten their letters in yet and the secretary said they could figure it out later so it doesn't necessarily have to be in by the time you have the interview, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to get it in early.

Interview invite today. Submitted 8/31. I chose a virtual interview since I interviewed in person there last year (and was waitlisted) so I saw the campus and whatnot already. Woo!

did anyone who applied PCLT hear back yet? I got an interview invite before i applied PCLT so now im waiting to hear back for a virtual interview and hopefully for a PCLT interview

I am waiting to hear from PCLT too. I do know some information about it, I don't know what has been discussed, but I called the guy who is running the program and he gave me a brief breakdown of numbers. He said that the PCLT interview is skype only, so no need to travel twice to Durham (although I loved it there, so I wouldn't be upset about going back!) He said that there are approximately 8 spots for the program, and that so far they have received about 200 applications. He said that the screeners are currently reading/scoring essays and that interview invites could be going out this month.

I am nervous, because I really LOVED Duke, and I would love to be apart of this program!

I am waiting to hear from PCLT too. I do know some information about it, I don't know what has been discussed, but I called the guy who is running the program and he gave me a brief breakdown of numbers. He said that the PCLT interview is skype only, so no need to travel twice to Durham (although I loved it there, so I wouldn't be upset about going back!) He said that there are approximately 8 spots for the program, and that so far they have received about 200 applications. He said that the screeners are currently reading/scoring essays and that interview invites could be going out this month.

I am nervous, because I really LOVED Duke, and I would love to be apart of this program!

Thanks for the info. And again :xf:

Did you guys use Interfolio to send your rec letters to Duke?

Rejected MSTP :( I'm bummed though I can't say I didn't see it coming.
Still in the running for MD but who knows....

:luck:

Interview invite today. Submitted 8/31. I chose a virtual interview since I interviewed in person there last year (and was waitlisted) so I saw the campus and whatnot already. Woo!

Same deal for me. Interviewed here last year and was waitlisted. Hopefully we get better news this time around.

still quiet on the PCLT front? Anyone hear ANYTHING?

secondary was a monster....finished it 11/15 11:00 p.m. EST (hopefully they won't hold that against me)

but FINALLY finished it....

Any opinions on whether to pick the virtual interview or go in person?

Any opinions on whether to pick the virtual interview or go in person?

I think it's always better to go in person if you can afford it. It will give you a much better impression of the school and whether or not you would want to go there. Duke also has a pretty unique way of doing things (all courses in the first year, 3rd year you can use to do basically whatever you want, most do research, etc.), so it would be helpful to meet the current students, etc. and decide how well you fit. Also might give you time to explore Durham and decide if you could spend 4 years there.

Can anybody comment on the degree of difficulty of teaching (and learning) all that material in only 1 year? What is the experience like for the DUKE med students?

Are there any sources where one could find out statistics about how different med school students do on the USMLE?

i know duke decisions are non-rolling. does anyone know when is a good time to send an update letter

I ve been waiting to hear back after requesting a virtual interview for 2 months now, is anyone else in my shoes? Im getting worried i guess

I interviewed on 9/23 and fell in love with Duke--love the curriculum, love the people (especially Richard Wallace :)), love the location. Its literally killing me inside to have to wait til March to hear back from them.

I heard that Duke interviews more applicants than most medical schools. Does anyone know about what percentage of interviewees are accepted?

:luck: to those who have upcoming interviews.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 9/23 and fell in love with Duke--love the curriculum, love the people (especially Richard Wallace :)), love the location. Its literally killing my inside to have to wait til March to hear back from them.

I heard that Duke interviews more applicants than most medical schools. Does anyone know about what percentage of interviewees are accepted?

Haha! Did Mr. Wallace show you the teddy bear?

I interviewed on 9/23 and fell in love with Duke--love the curriculum, love the people (especially Richard Wallace :)), love the location. Its literally killing my inside to have to wait til March to hear back from them.

Mr. Wallace is awesome!

Did anyone apply for a student host and not get one?

Oh no he didn't! What is this teddy bear you speak of?

While sitting in the admissions office waiting on one of my interviewers to come in, Mr. Wallace strolled by holding a teddy bear. Of course, one of us just had to ask why in the world a fully grown man was lugging around such a thing. As soon as Mr. Wallace turned around, I knew it was story time.

To keep things short, he informed us that this particular bear hangs out in the admissions office, which just so happens to be frequented by medical students in need of free candy and coffee. Well, one student (forgive me, as I can't recall his name), would often smack the bear around, slap it and throw it on the floor and such. Maintaining civility, Mr. Wallace tried to ignore the abuse. However, one day, he came into the office and found that the bear had been pinned by its neck to the wall. Rightfully infuriated, revenge came to mind.

As such, Mr. Wallace took a photograph of the bear holding a knife and a note reading "I'm coming for you." He then gave the photo to one of the offending student's friends, who then slipped it under his pillow one night. Upon waking, the student felt the rustling of the photograph under his pillow.

The bear hasn't been bothered since.

Did anyone apply for a student host and not get one?

I did not get a host. Since Duke interviews so many students, I know a lot of people have been unable to get hosts due to exam conflicts and such, but it's worth trying! Just make sure to get a hotel as a backup.

While sitting in the admissions office waiting on one of my interviewers to come in, Mr. Wallace strolled by holding a teddy bear. Of course, one of us just had to ask why in the world a fully grown man was lugging around such a thing. As soon as Mr. Wallace turned around, I knew it was story time.

To keep things short, he informed us that this particular bear hangs out in the admissions office, which just so happens to be frequented by medical students in need of free candy and coffee. Well, one student (forgive me, as I can't recall his name), would often smack the bear around, slap it and throw it on the floor and such. Maintaining civility, Mr. Wallace tried to ignore the abuse. However, one day, he came into the office and found that the bear had been pinned by its neck to the wall. Rightfully infuriated, revenge came to mind.

As such, Mr. Wallace took a photograph of the bear holding a knife and a note reading "I'm coming for you." He then gave the photo to one of the offending student's friends, who then slipped it under his pillow one night. Upon waking, the student felt the rustling of the photograph under his pillow.

The bear hasn't been bothered since.

Haha I love this and I loved him on my interview day as well! Gahhhh I wish we could hear sooner than March! This wait is killing me!

for anyone still waiting to hear back for virtual interviews, i had to email richard wallace before he set a date with me. I called the office first and they recommended i did that

Can anybody comment on the degree of difficulty of teaching (and learning) all that material in only 1 year? What is the experience like for the DUKE med students?

Are there any sources where one could find out statistics about how different med school students do on the USMLE?

I am not a Duke medical student but I know several and this aspect is either loved or hated, from my limited experience. If there are any Duke students here with experience, please chime in - this is not an attempt to cast a negative light on Duke.

In conversations I've had with people, several do not like the accelerated first year approach. It's a murderous stretch of months but the bigger issue has been taken with problems retaining a lot of the information after speeding through it, especially when it comes to applying the didactic info to the clinical rotations. I've heard this from both MY-4s and new residents.

Personally, it's why elected to not continue my application with Duke. Their emphasis on the third year does not match my background and interests and, therefore, it was hard to justify a crammed first year. It's a great fit for a lot of their students, though. In applying to Duke, I think one has to carefully consider whether their different approach to medical education truly aligns with interests and priorities.

I am not a Duke medical student but I know several and this aspect is either loved or hated, from my limited experience. If there are any Duke students here with experience, please chime in - this is not an attempt to cast a negative light on Duke.

In conversations I've had with people, several do not like the accelerated first year approach. It's a murderous stretch of months but the bigger issue has been taken with problems retaining a lot of the information after speeding through it, especially when it comes to applying the didactic info to the clinical rotations. I've heard this from both MY-4s and new residents.

Personally, it's why elected to not continue my application with Duke. Their emphasis on the third year does not match my background and interests and, therefore, it was hard to justify a crammed first year. It's a great fit for a lot of their students, though. In applying to Duke, I think one has to carefully consider whether their different approach to medical education truly aligns with interests and priorities.

Duke MSII here. Thought I would chime in since this is, I think, one of the most misunderstood aspects of DukeMed when I chat with incoming applicants (and when I was first starting out here as well). I could say a lot, but I will try to be brief. Don't read this as an "excuse" for our first year, but rather just some friendly advice to step outside the box when thinking about med school, especially DukeMed.

First, about step 1 scores ... Moral of the story: Duke students do phenomenally in residency match (and that is made public). That's what step 1 really matters for anyway. But to dispell your fears about scores: Duke students have huge flexibility as to when they can take the exam Third Year, and thus how much they'd like to prepare is their own choice. Add the fact that since Duke students already have a clinical year under their belts (which includes 3 elective periods to "try out" specialties/subspecialties), they have a much clearer idea of what they may like to go into. I personally know many who score 240/250, because they choose to make studying for this one standardized test a priority (making you competitive for Ophto, Ortho, Derm, Radiology, etc). Yet I know others who did not make such a high priority of a top score, because they are choosing Family Med, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, etc. Thus, even if the Step 1 scores were public, Duke's average would be naturally biased. But the moral of the story ... first year prepares you to do very well on step 1, if you choose to put in the study time again before you take it. And unlike most other schools, you get to determine what that looks like (Need 6 dedicated weeks to cram? Need 8 months of gradual study? Have family issues and need to postpone it? Done.)

Moving on ... yes, first year is a long, strenuous stretch of time compared to other med schools' first years. But to be honest, no one told me med school was going to be easy. If you've heard otherwise, then you may want to reconsider the whole shebang! Regardless, don't fall into the trap of thinking you "stop" learning material during your clinical years. We only spend one year in lectures, yes, but that is really just to prepare us enough to start learning medicine on the wards. You may not retain it all, but you don't necessarily retain it much better with 2 years either. I would argue that the best kind of learning is when you are working with patients, where you can still learn and read about things like physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology but equate them with actual patients (no written test, however good, can achieve that). Actually, someone far more experienced than me came up with such an idea:
"Medicine is learned by the bedside and not in the classroom. Let not your conceptions of disease come from words heard in the lecture room or read from the book. See, and then reason and compare and control. But see first." (Sir William Osler aka legendary Doctor)
Also remember that when choosing a med school, you are choosing a 4-year package. Medicine is a life of learning, and I am happy to know that my 4-year package includes early clinical time (and not just "exposure", but being responsible for patients, taking histories, doing physicals, forming differentials, making treatment plans, performing procedures) as well as an entire dedicated year of research which I would be very hard-pressed to find anywhere else until well into residency (for me, it will be research in global health). Our 4th year is just like any other school's.

But if you take nothing away from all my rambling, know this: DukeMed's community is as much a reason to come here as the curriculum. My class is an amazing group of people--yes, in their accomplishments and professional potential, but also in their humanity, humility, and concern for each other. That question about the most humbling experience? Yeah, that actually matters here. That same community extends well into a multitude of professors, alumni, administrators I've gotten to interact with (and even the Dean herself). Sure, there's a few bad apples but in general, it's pretty awesome.

Basically, it boils down to this re first year: I worked real hard and there were some strenuous times, but I was not nearly as miserable as I thought I would be. In fact, I more often found myself thriving than struggling.

So much for brevity! Best of luck in your application and decisions, those who read this. There are many places you can learn to be a great doctor, and DukeMed is certainly among the best. And don't believe everything you read on SDN. It's a very select population with a very loud voice, and not necessarily representative of the whole. You already know that, but just a friendly reminder.

And I think Duke basketball is pretty good too. (Shameless plug.)

I just got an email from my virtual interviewer asking me to reply with dates I was available. I'm a bit confused as to how we find out which days are options. They gave a time of day and then January of February date preferences. Should I just throw out some dates choices do you think? Or is there somewhere with a list of options?

Duke MSII here. Thought I would chime in since this is, I think, one of the most misunderstood aspects of DukeMed when I chat with incoming applicants (and when I was first starting out here as well). I could say a lot, but I will try to be brief. Don't read this as an "excuse" for our first year, but rather just some friendly advice to step outside the box when thinking about med school, especially DukeMed.

First, about step 1 scores ... Moral of the story: Duke students do phenomenally in residency match (and that is made public). That's what step 1 really matters for anyway. But to dispell your fears about scores: Duke students have huge flexibility as to when they can take the exam Third Year, and thus how much they'd like to prepare is their own choice. Add the fact that since Duke students already have a clinical year under their belts (which includes 3 elective periods to "try out" specialties/subspecialties), they have a much clearer idea of what they may like to go into. I personally know many who score 240/250, because they choose to make studying for this one standardized test a priority (making you competitive for Ophto, Ortho, Derm, Radiology, etc). Yet I know others who did not make such a high priority of a top score, because they are choosing Family Med, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, etc. Thus, even if the Step 1 scores were public, Duke's average would be naturally biased. But the moral of the story ... first year prepares you to do very well on step 1, if you choose to put in the study time again before you take it. And unlike most other schools, you get to determine what that looks like (Need 6 dedicated weeks to cram? Need 8 months of gradual study? Have family issues and need to postpone it? Done.)

Moving on ... yes, first year is a long, strenuous stretch of time compared to other med schools' first years. But to be honest, no one told me med school was going to be easy. If you've heard otherwise, then you may want to reconsider the whole shebang! Regardless, don't fall into the trap of thinking you "stop" learning material during your clinical years. We only spend one year in lectures, yes, but that is really just to prepare us enough to start learning medicine on the wards. You may not retain it all, but you don't necessarily retain it much better with 2 years either. I would argue that the best kind of learning is when you are working with patients, where you can still learn and read about things like physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology but equate them with actual patients (no written test, however good, can achieve that). Actually, someone far more experienced than me came up with such an idea:
"Medicine is learned by the bedside and not in the classroom. Let not your conceptions of disease come from words heard in the lecture room or read from the book. See, and then reason and compare and control. But see first." (Sir William Osler aka legendary Doctor)
Also remember that when choosing a med school, you are choosing a 4-year package. Medicine is a life of learning, and I am happy to know that my 4-year package includes early clinical time (and not just "exposure", but being responsible for patients, taking histories, doing physicals, forming differentials, making treatment plans, performing procedures) as well as an entire dedicated year of research which I would be very hard-pressed to find anywhere else until well into residency (for me, it will be research in global health). Our 4th year is just like any other school's.

But if you take nothing away from all my rambling, know this: DukeMed's community is as much a reason to come here as the curriculum. My class is an amazing group of people--yes, in their accomplishments and professional potential, but also in their humanity, humility, and concern for each other. That question about the most humbling experience? Yeah, that actually matters here. That same community extends well into a multitude of professors, alumni, administrators I've gotten to interact with (and even the Dean herself). Sure, there's a few bad apples but in general, it's pretty awesome.

Basically, it boils down to this re first year: I worked real hard and there were some strenuous times, but I was not nearly as miserable as I thought I would be. In fact, I more often found myself thriving than struggling.

So much for brevity! Best of luck in your application and decisions, those who read this. There are many places you can learn to be a great doctor, and DukeMed is certainly among the best. And don't believe everything you read on SDN. It's a very select population with a very loud voice, and not necessarily representative of the whole. You already know that, but just a friendly reminder.

Thanks for chiming in - it's good to get some firsthand experience re: reality vs. myth.

When I say Duke's third year is not for me, I already have a graduate degree and established research; therefore, while I could use their third year to continue those endeavors, I'd rather spend more time with clinical medicine. That, and, there are other top schools (e.g., UNC, Michigan, Hopkins) that are stronger in my research field (public health). I appreciate what you elect to do with your third you is rather flexible and their approach to Step 1 is great.

Now that most top schools integrate clinical exposure from day one, I think Duke's approach boils down to preference. It's not a matter of one method (one vs two years) being 'easier' than the other but rather how you want to spend your four years of medical education. Duke certainly provides its students an abundance of opportunity and resources.

By and large the people I know at Duke love it but - for me - some of their comments were informative (and, to reiterate, I was paraphrasing their comments, not expressing my assumptions).

Thanks for your insight - I'm sure many people on here will find it useful in interpreting their curriculum.

Oh, and, Go Tar Heels.

I just got an email from my virtual interviewer asking me to reply with dates I was available. I'm a bit confused as to how we find out which days are options. They gave a time of day and then January of February date preferences. Should I just throw out some dates choices do you think? Or is there somewhere with a list of options?

Just send them a couple of options and they'll work with you from there. That's what I did, and it was pretty straightforward. Don't stress it.

Wow, thanks for posting!! Loved your input :thumbup:
Your basketball plug was over the top, but I don't blame you :laugh:
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.