2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I am very "chill". Like I said, I am very unfamiliar with the differences between the Canadian and US application systems and I just wanted opinions from those who knew more than I.
2) I posted in 4, not 12. I didn't know if different schools had different wait times, or respond differently to update letters. Again, just trying to wrap my head around this process. I apologize for the extreme inconvenience it caused you to read my 50 word post 4 times.



+1. It's one thing if someone is trolling or asking a very obvious question that a simple forum search would answer. Western's question, however, doesn't fall into either category and shouldn't have received the rude responses it did. However, I'm going to assume that tensions are high right now, especially for those who haven't heard a yay or nay from these schools, and most of the responses are the result of that. Relax people, we're all in this together 🙂

I wasn't trying to be rude in my earlier post. I find that a question that has been answered MULTIPLE times in each of the threads is considered "very obvious" and the very opposite of being "chill." In fact, it seems a bit neurotic.

To WesternMD: Since you're so "sorry" that you've caused me such an inconvenience of reading the same thing over and over again, I'll apologize for implying that browsing through past pages is too easy a task for a premed student and repeat the information others have posted.

Some people have been completed in the summer and they still have not heard back. I understand that you are from Canada and have a different application process, but seriously, a 6 week wait for these schools is nothing. Judging from your posts in other threads, it's clear that you have amazing numbers, but the schools you have applied to have hundreds if not thousands of applicants with a 4.0 GPA so it's still extremely difficult to get an interview (and more so since you're international).

And clearly, the longer you wait, the higher the probability that they have read your application but have not granted you an interview. But at this time, all you can do is wait.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone from the 10/28 interview group hear back yet? I thought we would hear back this week.
its only tuesday and if they said they were meeting this week u will probably hear next week.

Did anyone who sent out their acceptance form hear back? are we supposed to get some receipt or something in the mail?
 
its only tuesday and if they said they were meeting this week u will probably hear next week.

Did anyone who sent out their acceptance form hear back? are we supposed to get some receipt or something in the mail?

No, we are not supposed to get anything back. The next contact is going to be prior to Second Look Weekend, which btw, seems to be amazing. Activities include a talk with one of their Nobel Laureates, a Baltimore Orioles Game, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, multiple socials (basketball, bowling, soccer and frisbee), a Night Out at Fells Point, a Colleges Carnival and a Reed Hall Party. Can't wait!
 
No, we are not supposed to get anything back. The next contact is going to be prior to Second Look Weekend, which btw, seems to be amazing. Activities include a talk with one of their Nobel Laureates, a Baltimore Orioles Game, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, multiple socials (basketball, bowling, soccer and frisbee), a Night Out at Fells Point, a Colleges Carnival and a Reed Hall Party. Can't wait!
Ok spring come already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news..............

I'm an oct. 28th interviewee.........

But today i called the admissions office and the lady told me that all accepted candidates have already been called and notified.
Rejection letters were sent yesterday in the mail.

It seems that we should all be seeing them either today or tomorrow.

I guess we can all cry together on this forum lol.
 
Do you know what weekend in April 2nd look is? Is there any information that was sent out to accepted students about it already? I'm so excited!
 
Do you know what weekend in April 2nd look is? Is there any information that was sent out to accepted students about it already? I'm so excited!

No set date yet, but it will probably be the first or second week end in April. I believe we will know after january.
 
I'm sure this is probably a stupid question but interviews are offered via email right? My roommate said I had a letter from them, I"m just assuming rejection. 😛
 
lol I had a dream yesterday that I got an interview invite by snail mail from Johns Hopkins. I am obsessed with this school...
 
lol I had a dream yesterday that I got an interview invite by snail mail from Johns Hopkins. I am obsessed with this school...

If you said "dream about getting accepted," I think I would have understood...

a dream about an interview invite is a bit...much haha...

just goes to show how much this process takes it toll on us =(
 
If you said "dream about getting accepted," I think I would have understood...

a dream about an interview invite is a bit...much haha...

just goes to show how much this process takes it toll on us =(

OMFG you have 20 interview invites!!!! That has to be some kind of a record.

I don't think your toll is similar to mine lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OMFG you have 20 interview invites!!!! That has to be some kind of a record.

I don't think your toll is similar to mine lol

meh...well when some of your interviewers tell you that your low GPA (despite a high MCAT and interesting activities) will probably keep you from being accepted at their school and wish you the best at another school, then suddenly those interview invites don't really seem all that great anymore.
 
meh...well when some of your interviewers tell you that your low GPA (despite a high MCAT and interesting activities) will probably keep you from being accepted at their school and wish you the best at another school, then suddenly those interview invites don't really seem all that great anymore.

Your tale of sorrow and woe is so harrowing! The tears will not stop flowing from my face...
:d
 
I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news..............

I'm an oct. 28th interviewee.........

But today i called the admissions office and the lady told me that all accepted candidates have already been called and notified.
Rejection letters were sent yesterday in the mail.

It seems that we should all be seeing them either today or tomorrow.

I guess we can all cry together on this forum lol.

Ladies and gents, please allow me to offer a few words of advice....

1. If you did not get admitted to Johns Hopkins, it is definitely not the end of the world. Your dream is to become a physician first and foremost; the institution of training is merely a stepping stone to that dream!

2. I would highly advise that each of you consider how you treat your fellow man/woman. My premedical advisor used to tell me all the time that "...what you are going to be, you are now becoming..." What he meant by that was that your everyday actions, especially the ones that are done when no one is watching, are what shape your character, and thus will influence the type of physician that you will be in the future. You can practice the doctor patient relationship everyday by how you treat your friends and family, but more importantly how you treat a stranger (i.e., a stranger that comes on a forum asking a seemingly redundant question). How you treat people every day (even the seemingly annoying ones) is a reasonable predictor as to how you will engage patients (even the seemingly annoying ones)!

3. If you are interested in an institution, it would serve you well to NOT make disparaging remarks about that institution on a public venue for all to see. In the end, if you say you don't want to be at a particular place for whatever reason, someone may very well grant you that wish!

Please try to take this process for what it is, a stepping stone to the next level. And although it may be a stressful time, it soon will pass, and you will one day have bigger stressors in your life to deal with. Congrats to everyone that has been accepted, and best of luck to you all regardless of the school with which you matriculate!
 
Last edited:
You can practice the doctor patient relationship everyday by how you treat your friends and family, but more importantly how you treat a stranger (i.e., a stranger that comes on a forum asking a seemingly redundant question). How you treat people every day (even the seemingly annoying ones) is a reasonable predictor as to how you will engage patients (even the seemingly annoying ones)!

That's very true!! Gl with your md/phd.
 
Ladies and gents, please allow me to offer a few words of advice....

1. If you did not get admitted to Johns Hopkins, it is definitely not the end of the world. Your dream is to become a physician first and foremost; the institution of training is merely a stepping stone to that dream!

2. I would highly advise that each of you consider how you treat your fellow man/woman. My premedical advisor used to tell me all the time that "...what you are going to be, you are now becoming..." What he meant by that was that your everyday actions, especially the ones that are done when no one is watching, are what shape your character, and thus will influence the type of physician that you will be in the future. You can practice the doctor patient relationship everyday by how you treat your friends and family, but more importantly how you treat a stranger (i.e., a stranger that comes on a forum asking a seemingly redundant question). How you treat people every day (even the seemingly annoying ones) is a reasonable predictor as to how you will engage patients (even the seemingly annoying ones)!

3. If you are interested in an institution, it would serve you well to NOT make disparaging remarks about that institution on a public venue for all to see. In the end, if you say you don't want to be at a particular place for whatever reason, someone may very well grant you that wish!

Please try to take this process for what it is, a stepping stone to the next level. And although it may be a stressful time, it soon will pass, and you will one day have bigger stressors in your life to deal with. Congrats to everyone that has been accepted, and best of luck to you all regardless of the school with which you matriculate!

Exactly. Thank you.
 
Ladies and gents, please allow me to offer a few words of advice....

1. If you did not get admitted to Johns Hopkins, it is definitely not the end of the world. Your dream is to become a physician first and foremost; the institution of training is merely a stepping stone to that dream!

2. I would highly advise that each of you consider how you treat your fellow man/woman. My premedical advisor used to tell me all the time that "...what you are going to be, you are now becoming..." What he meant by that was that your everyday actions, especially the ones that are done when no one is watching, are what shape your character, and thus will influence the type of physician that you will be in the future. You can practice the doctor patient relationship everyday by how you treat your friends and family, but more importantly how you treat a stranger (i.e., a stranger that comes on a forum asking a seemingly redundant question). How you treat people every day (even the seemingly annoying ones) is a reasonable predictor as to how you will engage patients (even the seemingly annoying ones)!

3. If you are interested in an institution, it would serve you well to NOT make disparaging remarks about that institution on a public venue for all to see. In the end, if you say you don't want to be at a particular place for whatever reason, someone may very well grant you that wish!

Please try to take this process for what it is, a stepping stone to the next level. And although it may be a stressful time, it soon will pass, and you will one day have bigger stressors in your life to deal with. Congrats to everyone that has been accepted, and best of luck to you all regardless of the school with which you matriculate!


Hear, hear!
 
Got a snail mail letter indicating that I was placed on the "alternate list" (I interviewed around 11/2). I really enjoyed the line in the letter about "coping" with the decision. I got a real laugh out of that one. :laugh:

Anyway, best of luck to everyone in the cycle! I'll likely be withdrawing since Hopkins didn't get me that jazzed.
 
Got a snail mail letter indicating that I was placed on the "alternate list" (I interviewed around 11/2). I really enjoyed the line in the letter about "coping" with the decision. I got a real laugh out of that one. :laugh:

Anyway, best of luck to everyone in the cycle! I'll likely be withdrawing since Hopkins didn't get me that jazzed.

wow if you didn't get in...I'm wondering who did...
 
Got a snail mail letter indicating that I was placed on the "alternate list" (I interviewed around 11/2). I really enjoyed the line in the letter about "coping" with the decision. I got a real laugh out of that one. :laugh:

Anyway, best of luck to everyone in the cycle! I'll likely be withdrawing since Hopkins didn't get me that jazzed.
Well, if you got an alternate letter, I'm wondering when I get my pre-interview rejection.
 
Got a snail mail letter indicating that I was placed on the "alternate list" (I interviewed around 11/2). I really enjoyed the line in the letter about "coping" with the decision. I got a real laugh out of that one. :laugh:

Anyway, best of luck to everyone in the cycle! I'll likely be withdrawing since Hopkins didn't get me that jazzed.

Sorry to hear that man, and sorry to hear also that you did not get too excited about the school. Hopkins was my first interview and after being in the interview trail for a while, I can see that other schools really go out of their way to show their "greatness". Hopkins does not try at all. ( I even remember the Dean stating how they get letters from applicants criticizing their Secondary Application. She was laughing about it)

But, you have some great choices already and I think one of them you had "initially" listed as one of three top choices anyway 😉 G' luck with the remaining ones!.
 
wow if you didn't get in...I'm wondering who did...

What happens with one applicant has absolutely NO correlation with what happens with another applicant. Students with less than 3.5 and less than 30 have been accepted in addition to students with 4.0 and 42's. The purpose of the interview is to try to get an idea of what type of person you are, and how interested you really are in that institution! Many students make OR BREAK themselves during the interview. The interview is a time for YOU to sell yourself, not the other way around. In the end, you can never please everyone! At Hopkins, we try to pride ourselves on presenting the school without coming across as holier than thou. Can you imagine what people's response would be like if, during the interview, all we did was talk about how awesome we are, and what the medical school, hospital, and public Health schools are ranked? You would likely walk away saying, wow, what a bunch of arrogant jerks! That is not what we are about, and we are cognizant to make sure that that's not how we portray ourselves. The time for us to "sell ourselves" comes during revisit weekend! We go all out that weekend, and have a great time, and that's the time to pull out the big guns like Ben Carson, and Carol Grieder, and Peter Agre, and Solomon Snyder, and all of the other outstanding faculty and say hey, we want you, this is what we offer, come and be a part of the family. There is a time for the courtship, but it is NOT during the interview!

So, again, please do not get discouraged by anyone that did not get into Hopkins, and compare yourself to them. You are your own person! If you are genuinely interested in Hopkins, and you have a good heart, it will show through, and that is what can really put you over the top at ANY institution! HOWEVER, if you come across as an arrogant prick that would rather be cleaning your sock drawer than interviewing, then that will be seen as well and I'm sure the committee will be happy to give you ample time to clean your sock drawer away from that institution!
 
No offense, but the arrogant jerk part came in the letter saying that I would need to "cope" with the decision.

It all depends on what you're looking for I guess. I don't get a hard-on from prestige or names. If I don't feel like I'm wanted, then I'm not going to want to go there. But I'm sure there are many people that would line up to go to JHU no matter what, and for many the interview day was probably amazing. I guess I'm just the rare malcontent.
 
The value of a Hopkins medical education is unrivaled making Hopkins medical graduates among the most desirable according to many residency program directors. The training of medical students at Hopkins has always been revolutionary and became an example and a model which the rest of US medical schools followed. That is where the "prestige" and the name recognition come from. Everyone involved in a health related field is aware of that, therefore the fact that Hopkins did not trumpet its "awesomeness" during the interview really did not come as a surprise to me. (Harvard is the other institution that never feels the need to do it either, although for somewhat different reasons).

I got excellent vibes from everyone at Hopkins, from the faculty to the students and that was everything I needed. At the end, it is a matter of personal fit. From my experiences with other schools I am also becoming more convinced that this admission process is not that random either. There is a certain method to the madness. It worked for me in undergrad and I ended up at the right school. I hope the same happens with med school. Second Look Week end is very important for everyone fortunate enough to have a couple of choices.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The value of a Hopkins medical education is unrivaled making Hopkins medical graduates among the most desirable according to many residency program directors. The training of medical students at Hopkins has always been revolutionary and became an example and a model which the rest of US medical schools followed. That is where the "prestige" and the name recognition come from. Everyone involved in a health related field is aware of that, therefore the fact that Hopkins did not trumpet its "awesomeness" during the interview really did not come as a surprise to me. (Harvard is the other institution that never feels the need to do it either, although for somewhat different reasons).

I got excellent vibes from everyone at Hopkins, from the faculty to the students and that was everything I needed. At the end, it is a matter of personal fit. From my experiences with other schools I am also becoming more convinced that this admission process is not that random either. There is a certain method to the madness. It worked for me in undergrad and I ended up at the right school. I hope the same happens with med school. Second Look Week end is very important for everyone fortunate enough to have a couple of choices.
truth
 
I had a question about how Hopkins compares to Penn. While I hate us news as much as the next guy, i'm not sure quite what to make of penn's jump over hopkins. Has Hopkins settled to 3 for the long term? What are people's opinions on this?
 
I had a question about how Hopkins compares to Penn. While I hate us news as much as the next guy, i'm not sure quite what to make of penn's jump over hopkins. Has Hopkins settled to 3 for the long term? What are people's opinions on this?

Johns Hopkins has dropped to number 3 only two or three times in the last twenty years.

Also, if you look at the "composite scores," it's not like Hopkins was that far ahead of the pack in the first place either.
 
I had a question about how Hopkins compares to Penn. While I hate us news as much as the next guy, i'm not sure quite what to make of penn's jump over hopkins. Has Hopkins settled to 3 for the long term? What are people's opinions on this?

The schools at the top are pretty much neck-and-neck as far as US News' metrics go. They jostle around in the rankings a lot even when nothing meaningful has changed.
 
The schools at the top are pretty much neck-and-neck as far as US News' metrics go. They jostle around in the rankings a lot even when nothing meaningful has changed.

Agreed.

I loved Penn and think they have something diff than Hopkins to offer, but based off of rankings, it just doesn't give off the "research mecca" vibe that Hopkins does. I wanted to propose a different measurement instead of US news methodology...# of HHMI scientists:
take this (as everything) with a grain of salt. Thoughts?

37 - Harvard (undergrad, HMS + all hospitals)
21 - Cornell (Weill, Sloan-Kettering, Rockefeller -- note: only 1/21 is from Weill)
18 - Stanford (med & ug)
17 - UCSF
17 - Yale (med & ug)
16 - MIT (not a med school, but pushes harvard higher if you think about their HST program)
13 - Berkeley (think + UCSF)
13 - Columbia (med + ug)
12 - Hopkins (med + ug)
11 - UTSW
10 - Cal Tech
10 - U Washington
10 - UCSD
8 - Penn (med + UG + CHOP)
7 - Michigan (med + UG)
7 - UCLA
5 - WashU med
 
If you look up The US News Rankings methodology it really does not seek to measure medical education. I always have considered the residency directors school rankings, which is published under US News I believe, much more valuable in terms of preparation for a career as a clinician.
 
I have been checking this forum constantly, waiting for someone to know if the acceptances went out for the Friday group. When I interviewed they said that they would have the committee meeting on the 20th of December. I have been scared since the 20th to call and ask if all the acceptances for 11/5 went out. I didn't want to be heartbroken over the phone.

Did anyone have the courage to ask?
 
I have been checking this forum constantly, waiting for someone to know if the acceptances went out for the Friday group. When I interviewed they said that they would have the committee meeting on the 20th of December. I have been scared since the 20th to call and ask if all the acceptances for 11/5 went out. I didn't want to be heartbroken over the phone.

Did anyone have the courage to ask?

My friend interviewed that day and got a call on Monday.
 
I had a question about how Hopkins compares to Penn. While I hate us news as much as the next guy, i'm not sure quite what to make of penn's jump over hopkins. Has Hopkins settled to 3 for the long term? What are people's opinions on this?

UPENN is a great medical institution. Many of their hospital's residency programs have rankings similar to, slightly behind, or slightly ahead of Hopkins' residency programs. But more importantly, THEY GIVE MERIT BASED SCHOLARSHIPS which is a huge plus and bonus feature that neither Harvard nor Hopkins can say that they do! When Hopkins decided to do a curriculum overhaul, we took a number (but not all) of features from UPENN's curriculum. UPENN is a fantastic institution and if you are accepted, I would highly advise you to attend their revisit weekend!

Now, in regards to the rankings, the biggest problem with them is that the research dollars section is completely self reported with absolutely no oversight whatsoever. This reported income is worth 40% of the research rankings. So when you see schools like UPENN jump from #4 to #2, this occurs simultaneously with their reported research dollars jumping from 400+ million to 600+million. Now some will say that this is because they counted the NIH's stimulus grants as part of their dollars. The problem is, no one really knows because no one (including US News and World report or an outside agency) verifies any of this information.

As part of recruiting, I don't cite the rankings because I feel that many/most of them are flawed and biased. Yes, there is some method to the madness, but there's a bit of elitist bias in all rankings (including Hopkins Hospital's 20 year reign as the #1 Hospital). In short, when you combine genuine excellence with subjective measurements and unverified financial reports, you get the mess that is US News and World Report. So again, as someone mentioned earlier, you have to take these rankings, positive and negative, worth a grain of salt.

If one decides to choose a medical school based solely off of some sort of ranking, review, etc, then I would say peer assessment and residency program assessment scores are two of the best criteria to use. I find it interesting that most schools (including Hopkins) refuse to report the percentage of graduates receiving their top 3 choices for residency. One thing that would surely stir the pot is if schools actually released their yearly match list to the public. But I can say, in a very unbiased way, that if I were a total stranger to Hopkins, and I saw the match list, peer assessment score, and residency program assessment score for the institution, it would ease any trepidation I had in regards to rankings!
 
I had a question about how Hopkins compares to Penn. While I hate us news as much as the next guy, i'm not sure quite what to make of penn's jump over hopkins. Has Hopkins settled to 3 for the long term? What are people's opinions on this?

Really? notes postcount = 1

The rankings have some limited use when comparing schools but you have to look at them keeping in mind a good knowledge of what the US News and World Report methodology is.

Penn, Hopkins, Harvard, etc are peer institutions. They are among the very best medical schools in the country and there are very few schools in the entire world that are equals. If you are lucky enough to get into more than one of them, it'd be ridiculous not to make your decision based on which you would actually prefer to spend four years at rather than where they are on the rankings.
 
Really? notes postcount = 1

haha I know. pretty pathetic as far as first posts go. the question was the product of an argument with a friend and i didn't think about what it would do for my forum persona.

thanks for the interesting responses (especially rjdmmfl). it's an embarrassing question to ask, and i agree that anyone who would base a decision based on 2nd vs. 3rd place on a weak ranking system probably has some issues. that being said, it would be naive to think that the ranking system, as weak as it is, doesn't factor into people's perceptions of schools. this seems to apply especially to hopkins, which has a reputation as "the best" (which is a motivation for many to apply/attend), and that reputation is reinforced for many by the number on that list. if that number changes, the "best" reputation gets called into question, as does that motivating factor for many applicants. again, i'm not trying to say it should, just that it does.
 
haha I know. pretty pathetic as far as first posts go. the question was the product of an argument with a friend and i didn't think about what it would do for my forum persona.

thanks for the interesting responses (especially rjdmmfl). it's an embarrassing question to ask, and i agree that anyone who would base a decision based on 2nd vs. 3rd place on a weak ranking system probably has some issues. that being said, it would be naive to think that the ranking system, as weak as it is, doesn't factor into people's perceptions of schools. this seems to apply especially to hopkins, which has a reputation as "the best" (which is a motivation for many to apply/attend), and that reputation is reinforced for many by the number on that list. if that number changes, the "best" reputation gets called into question, as does that motivating factor for many applicants. again, i'm not trying to say it should, just that it does.

you're absolutely right... for some folks a change like that would matter, but as mentioned, there is really not much that you can make of that other than the fact that one school and its affiliated hospitals reported a lot more money than another one. Harvard receives (reports) 1.7 billion dollars in research dollars between the medical school and its 17 affiliated hospitals. The next closest school doesn't receive half of that amount, so Harvard will NEVER be anything other than #1 on that list as long as the rankings are done the way that they are. So US News and world report rankings are essentially a yearly race for 2nd through 10th place. In the last 4 or 5 years, WASHU has been as high as 2 and as low as 5, Duke has been as high as 3 and as low as 6. And this is all happening (as mentioned earlier) with no real change in anything. All of the top schools are strong research institutions, but some are stronger in certain fields than others. So if a student is picking a school based on research opportunities, that specific research interest should be weighed in the eventual decision, more so perhaps than the overall research acumen of the institution.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview this week and was curious to know when it the interview day ended for most as I have a flight to catch at 6pm, which sucks, but was the only one I could get. I know the it takes 30 min to get to airport so finishing at 5pm would be okay..
 
I have an interview this week and was curious to know when it the interview day ended for most as I have a flight to catch at 6pm, which sucks, but was the only one I could get. I know the it takes 30 min to get to airport so finishing at 5pm would be okay..

I believe at my interview day we were all gone by 4:30 but I remember some people leaving around 4. The latest interviews should be START by 4:15 pm. Hope that helps, good luck! :luck:
 
Last edited:
I believe at my interview day we were all gone by 4:30 but I remember some people leaving around 4. The latest interviews should be done by 4:15 pm. Hope that helps, good luck! :luck:
the latest interview starts at 4:15 and ends around 4;45PM (i had the latest interview.)
 
the latest interview starts at 4:15 and ends around 4;45PM (i had the latest interview.)

oops, sorry, wrote the wrong thing above. you should definitely be done by 5 but it is possible to be done earlier too depending on when your interviews are scheduled for 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.