2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any of the accepted applicants heard anything or received any mail or email from Hopkins? I sent in my agreement to matriculate weeks ago (the form that came with the acceptance letter), and when I called the admissions office, the lady I spoke with told me that it "looks like it has been received".

I haven't heard anything from them since, and I feel uneasy because I want to make sure that I don't lose my spot. Do they send anything or change the online status for accepted applicants? I might need to call again. Is there another number that I can call other than the office of admissions, with their limited hours? 🙁 Or am I worrying too much?
 
Have any of the accepted applicants heard anything or received any mail or email from Hopkins? I sent in my agreement to matriculate weeks ago (the form that came with the acceptance letter), and when I called the admissions office, the lady I spoke with told me that it "looks like it has been received".

I haven't heard anything from them since, and I feel uneasy because I want to make sure that I don't lose my spot. Do they send anything or change the online status for accepted applicants? I might need to call again. Is there another number that I can call other than the office of admissions, with their limited hours? 🙁 Or am I worrying too much?

you should have gotten an email from them that "confirms your acceptance." but if the admissions office says you're fine, then you're fine. no worries! 🙂
 
you should have gotten an email from them that "confirms your acceptance." but if the admissions office says you're fine, then you're fine. no worries! 🙂

Thanks - that's very strange because I never received that email. I'll definitely call tomorrow.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any of the accepted applicants heard anything or received any mail or email from Hopkins? I sent in my agreement to matriculate weeks ago (the form that came with the acceptance letter), and when I called the admissions office, the lady I spoke with told me that it "looks like it has been received".

I haven't heard anything from them since, and I feel uneasy because I want to make sure that I don't lose my spot. Do they send anything or change the online status for accepted applicants? I might need to call again. Is there another number that I can call other than the office of admissions, with their limited hours? 🙁 Or am I worrying too much?

you're definitely worrying too much. you'll hear either late january or february about second look but you shouldn't expect anything until then. if you've already called the admissions office and they said the letter has been received, what are you worried about?
 
Thanks - that's very strange because I never received that email. I'll definitely call tomorrow.
I think we got accepted around same time. I never got an email either and have been feeling the same way. I hope i didnt loose my spot if not i will march to their office if needed lol. I never called tho i dont know if i should check too.
 
I think we got accepted around same time. I never got an email either and have been feeling the same way. I hope i didnt loose my spot if not i will march to their office if needed lol. I never called tho i dont know if i should check too.

I ended up calling, and the lady told me that a confirmation of acceptance had been sent to my email on Dec 20. I checked all the emails that I received on Dec 20, and there was nothing there from Hopkins. So I called back and asked her to resend the email, since I was worried that my email provider was rejecting messages from that particular address. I got the email a few minutes later.

Since you didn't get your email either, I suspect they might have just forgotten to send out that batch.
 
I think we got accepted around same time. I never got an email either and have been feeling the same way. I hope i didnt loose my spot if not i will march to their office if needed lol. I never called tho i dont know if i should check too.

Hey, we interviewed on same day and got accepted at the same time. I did receive an email after I sent my acceptance letter. It is a pdf attachment. I got mine on november 20th. I am sure you are fine. Just call them to make sure.
 
hi! quick question..
does anyone know if jhu keeps enough spots open such that every interviewee there on the last interview date could potentially be accepted? most texas schools practice that, but i'm not sure if schools in other states operate the same way.

that being asked.. how many interviewees (ish) are there at each interview? i'm sorry if this has been asked before.. ><

thanks!
 
hi! quick question..
does anyone know if jhu keeps enough spots open such that every interviewee there on the last interview date could potentially be accepted? most texas schools practice that, but i'm not sure if schools in other states operate the same way.

that being asked.. how many interviewees (ish) are there at each interview? i'm sorry if this has been asked before.. ><

thanks!

The way it is now set up, Hopkins waitlist does not move much (3 in 2009 and none 2010 ?), so when they interview you, they are doing it for an actual spot.
You will have about 12 interviewees at each interview... Good luck!
 
I ended up calling, and the lady told me that a confirmation of acceptance had been sent to my email on Dec 20. I checked all the emails that I received on Dec 20, and there was nothing there from Hopkins. So I called back and asked her to resend the email, since I was worried that my email provider was rejecting messages from that particular address. I got the email a few minutes later.

Since you didn't get your email either, I suspect they might have just forgotten to send out that batch.
I called she said im fine but still didnt get the email.
 
Anyone know how to get from BWi to the school without paying for a cab? I like to save myself some money whenever possible.
 
Anyone know how to get from BWi to the school without paying for a cab? I like to save myself some money whenever possible.

You can take the MARC train to Penn station if it's during the work week. Then you can pick up the Hopkins shuttle from Penn station. The Baltimore light rail also goes to the airport and you can transfer to Penn station: http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/ground-transportation/trans/lightrail

The Hopkins shuttle runs pretty frequently and it's free! http://www.parking.jhu.edu/shuttles_jhmi_homewood.html

Also, Super Shuttle is about half the price of a cab and will take you straight to the med school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when were you complete raginfly? Complete since August. Have they sent out pre-interview rejections yet?
 
Just got an interview, complete in late October. I can't believe it, so stoked.

For anyone who has interviewed already, would you suggest staying at Reed hall or getting a student host?

Thanks
 
Just got an interview, complete in late October. I can't believe it, so stoked.

For anyone who has interviewed already, would you suggest staying at Reed hall or getting a student host?

Thanks

Definitely with a student host...you get student contact on the day of your interview, but it's great getting student perspectives outside of that as well. I had a great time with my host and her roommate!
 
not it 😉

I'm pretty sure last year the december decisions came out in late January--around the 27th or so. i could be wrong though...
 
Hi, where do you guys send your thank you letters for your interviewers? Is it to the admissions office or directly to your interviewers at JHU? Also, is it customary to send a handwritten/typed letter or can it be just an email? Thanks!
 
Hi, where do you guys send your thank you letters for your interviewers? Is it to the admissions office or directly to your interviewers at JHU? Also, is it customary to send a handwritten/typed letter or can it be just an email? Thanks!
You have to send the letters to the admissions office. I think a handwritten thank you card is the usual way of doing it. But i guess it depends on your preference.

And does everyone get invited to the second look weekend? cuz it seems like some schools choose who gets to attend the second look weekend.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And does everyone get invited to the second look weekend? cuz it seems like some schools choose who gets to attend the second look weekend.

Everyone gets invited to the 2nd look/revisit weekend!
 
thanks 4ksibe! i just thought of this question as i was going to mail it haha, but do i need to write the name of my interviewer in the front of the envelope or just address it to admissions? Then will they actually read the letter and see who it is for and forward it to them? How does this work?
 
thanks 4ksibe! i just thought of this question as i was going to mail it haha, but do i need to write the name of my interviewer in the front of the envelope or just address it to admissions? Then will they actually read the letter and see who it is for and forward it to them? How does this work?
I put their name on the envelope and C/O the admissions office but either way they read the letters before forwarding them to the interviewr cuz apparently there was an incident of a student harrassing an interviewer or some like that. So i guess it wouldnt really matter since they will read it anyway
 
if any you decide to send a thank you letter to your interviewer.... please be sure that you actually get their name right... not sending a letter is much better than sending "John" a letter that starts off ... Dear Paul, it was great meeting you... :nono:
 
if any you decide to send a thank you letter to your interviewer.... please be sure that you actually get their name right... not sending a letter is much better than sending "John" a letter that starts off ... Dear Paul, it was great meeting you... :nono:
lol true I had forgotten my student interviewer name so i called to make sure i get it right. That surely would not be pleasant
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the letter when I got home- Waitlisted. Anyone know how many people are alternate listed? There's not much movement, huh?

ETA: Never mind, looked upthread. Deeee-pressing.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.