2010-2011 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossing fingers -- they're still interviewing???

Unfortunately, our last interview day will be Friday.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interviewing Jan. 7th too. Those of you interviewing on the 7th, are any of you out-of-staters?

Interviewed 12/03
recieved pre-match on 12/16

I am not very prolific on SDN and also I was too dazed to post and I have finally recovered now...but before I ask my dumb question, I really should thank the wonderful Tech MS IIs and MS IIIs ( Aggie08, Agshan08), fellow applicants (especially Noshie, I hope you get in...your blogs were so cool and you will make a perfect classmate) and the terrific student ambassadors who make tech the great medical school it is...Thank you all for all the help.

Now the dumb dumber question....

I almost made the mistake of not ranking tech after accepting my pre-match (I just assumed that since I rejected other schools and accepted Tech...I am done). I did not realize that the process is different this year ( PLEASE read TMDSAS guidelines like you studied the MCAT VR section!)...Also the TTUHSC SOM had conflicting information based on last year's process (already called them about it). I rectified my mistake and now went back in and ranked Tech # 1. Again this is what I did:

1. Accepted the pre-match offer after logging through Merlin
2. Signed and sent all the paper work ( no $100 yet)
3. Completed background check
4. Ranked Tech # 1 in TMDSAS.

Am I still missing anything that I should do before jan 10th ? (just paranoid after I discovered my near goof up!)

Thanks,

:soexcited: Texas Tech SOM Class of 2015!:soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 12/03
recieved pre-match on 12/16

I am not very prolific on SDN and also I was too dazed to post and I have finally recovered now...but before I ask my dumb question, I really should thank the wonderful Tech MS IIs and MS IIIs ( Aggie08, Agshan08), fellow applicants (especially Noshie, I hope you get in...your blogs were so cool and you will make a perfect classmate) and the terrific student ambassadors who make tech the great medical school it is...Thank you all for all the help.

Now the dumb dumber question....

I almost made the mistake of not ranking tech after accepting my pre-match (I just assumed that since I rejected other schools and accepted Tech...I am done). I did not realize that the process is different this year ( PLEASE read TMDSAS guidelines like you studied the MCAT VR section!)...Also the TTUHSC SOM had conflicting information based on last year's process (already called them about it). I rectified my mistake and now went back in and ranked Tech # 1. Again this is what I did:

1. Accepted the pre-match offer after logging through Merlin
2. Signed and sent all the paper work ( no $100 yet)
3. Completed background check
4. Ranked Tech # 1 in TMDSAS.

Am I still missing anything that I should do before jan 10th ? (just paranoid after I discovered my near goof up!)

Thanks,

:soexcited: Texas Tech SOM Class of 2015!:soexcited:

Aww, thank you for your sweet words!!! :) You totally made my day! I didn't even think that people read my blogs on Mdapps… Haha. I hope we get to be classmates too!

To answer your question… What do you mean you were "not going to" rank Tech? You should be ranking all of the schools you interviewed with. Have you applied before? This process has been the same since the dawn of time! :laugh: I guess their website confused you…

Looks like your list of things to do are perfect! You even did more than you have to right now! So, are you ranking Tech as #1 because it is your first choice, or are you just doing it because you got the prematch and think that is what you are supposed to do? Because if it is not really your top choice, you will have no chance at the other schools you interviewed with. Sounds like it is your top choice, but just making sure! ;)

Accepted yesterday (12/16)!
Interviewed 12/10

Accepted MD/MBA today (1/6)!
I didn't realize that my letter on 12/16 was for MD only

Best of luck everyone :luck:

ahhhh I wish this school wasn't so far away. I loved it on interview day but i am having dilemmas on where to put it in my rank list. Why can't Texas schools just accept or reject you normally!!

I can't even decide what I want to eat for lunch.....how am i suppose to decide where I want to go to med school!!! haha oh well.

ahhhh I wish this school wasn't so far away. I loved it on interview day but i am having dilemmas on where to put it in my rank list. Why can't Texas schools just accept or reject you normally!!
I understand how you feel about it being far away, my whole first year my parents were in Atlanta, GA but now they are back in Texas. Last year I was able to fly home at least once a semester (usually for 5 days or so)and also spent Christmas and summer in Atlanta. I will say that a lot of my friends at school use Southwest Air to get home pretty cheap.

anyone switching tech to their number 1 spot hours before match deadline?

anyone switching tech to their number 1 spot hours before match deadline?
After many weeks of debate, I just switched Tech to number one over Houston, A&M, and San Antonio. I got the best vibe from students at Tech, and I love the way the curriculum is set up (half days, one class at a time). Clinically, I am looking forward to working in small groups with friendly professors. Anyways I am very excited about it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
noshie, I think you have an awesome chance to get into Tech, my impression from talking to many applicants in the last month is that Tech did not send out very many pre match offers and many of those that did receive offers seemed to have strong ties to the area. I really hope that you end up at Tech, u certainly deserve it after all you have been through to get to this point.

noshie, I think you have an awesome chance to get into Tech, my impression from talking to many applicants in the last month is that Tech did not send out very many pre match offers and many of those that did receive offers seemed to have strong ties to the area. I really hope that you end up at Tech, u certainly deserve it after all you have been through to get to this point.

:rolleyes: So sweet. I really hope so too! But part of me wishes that I didn't want it so bad, that way I don't end up sad and locked up in my room on February 1st. I'm just not so sure that everything is going to end up as I want it to... There are plenty of amazing applicants this year. :)

I really liked the school and the vibe I got from the students as well however I cannot imagine myself living in Lubbock. Thus I had declined Tech's offer...
Hope you will get in Noshie!

Hey, I remember hearing something on my interview day about a weekend in the spring when the next years class come out to Lubbock. It is supposed to be a short introduction deal and then it also gives you a time to look for housing.

Did I just make this up? Also if I didn't make it up, does anyone know when this is planned? I have to tell my work when I need to take off a long time in advance so I would love to know sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Hey, I remember hearing something on my interview day about a weekend in the spring when the next years class come out to Lubbock. It is supposed to be a short introduction deal and then it also gives you a time to look for housing.

Did I just make this up? Also if I didn't make it up, does anyone know when this is planned? I have to tell my work when I need to take off a long time in advance so I would love to know sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

This is called "Spring Training" I think... They do it at most (if not all) of the med schools in Texas. I can't wait! Sounds like an amazingly fun weekend. It should be around Juneish if I remember correctly. I am not sure when it is planned for, or who plans it exactly. Maybe you should call the admissions office and just ask. They should know about when it will be.

This question is for Aggie08 or anyone else who can help. I was accepted into the MD/MBA program at Tech but I was concerned about its intensity. When I interviewed Dr. Nix explained that the students had little time for outside activities i.e. research. I really would like to do some research and was just generally concerned about issues with the program (mainly its accreditation).

Can anyone post what they believe to be the cons to the program?

Thanks!

PS Good Luck Noshie. I'm rooting for you!

This question is directed to any current TTUHSC students. What book do y'all use for physiology? Which book would you recommend?

I just started a physiology course and would like to buy a text that I could use now and when I start med school.

We use Costanzo's physiology book for our Phys block. It's actually a really good book. I normally tell people not to worry about what they'll learn in med school until they get here, but in this instance I guess it wouldn't hurt for you to use this book. Just don't try to learn everything in it or overlearn. Use this book as an outline. Overall, though I would recommend that you do well in your class and get a good foundation from what they teach you there. Don't worry about reading the entire book or anything - that won't help you. Get a good idea of basic phys for all the organ systems and you will already be ahead of 90% of your class. Our phys block is good, you don't need to be come in knowing physiology really. So, just learn what they are teaching in class and make a good grade, but use this as your text book if you really want to.

http://www.amazon.com/Physiology-ST...2165/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294846717&sr=8-1

A lot of people also like BRS Physiology for a review book. It's also written by Costanzo, I believe. You shouldn't need that until you get here, though.

This question is for Aggie08 or anyone else who can help. I was accepted into the MD/MBA program at Tech but I was concerned about its intensity. When I interviewed Dr. Nix explained that the students had little time for outside activities i.e. research. I really would like to do some research and was just generally concerned about issues with the program (mainly its accreditation).

Thanks!

I know a lot of them were really busy, but they do well and adapt fine to the schedule. I'm not sure about the research or accreditation or pros and cons since I'm not involved with the program. If you'll PM me your email address I'll pass it along to a couple friends I have in the MD/MBA program and see if they can give you more information.

Thanks!

I am rooting for you too! Though it sounds like you are doing really well already! I see you are new to SDN, welcome :)

My student host was in this program. She told me a lot about it, and she did mention that it leaves her with pretty much no time to do research or anything else. She said it was a hard decision between just doing the MD somewhere else and getting the MBA later or doing the MD/MBA at Tech. She didn't say if she regreted it, and I bet she is happy with her decision. But she did hint that she wanted to just do the MD and then get the MBA later, but she had to go to Lubbock because of her husbands job...

So... Are you sticking with this program? Any other acceptances? :D

Thanks!

It is called spring training and for us here at Tech it is usually in April. The information with details is sent out in the first packet after match day. If you don't think that will give you enough time just email student affairs and let them know your situation, they can talk to the first year class officers and get the dates for you. It's a super FUN and no-stress weekend. I totally recommend coming if you can ;)

Noshie-
I don't know if I'll be accepting the offer. However, TTUHSC was my top choice in TX. I was accepted to other schools but felt uncomfortable at the interview days. TTUHSC just felt like "home"..... as corny as that sounds. I'm still waiting to hear back from the CA schools that I interviewed at. Hopefully you'll get my spot if I decline.

Aggie08-
How do I PM? I'm new to SDN.

Thanks!

Noshie-
I don't know if I'll be accepting the offer. However, TTUHSC was my top choice in TX. I was accepted to other schools but felt uncomfortable at the interview days. TTUHSC just felt like "home"..... as corny as that sounds. I'm still waiting to hear back from the CA schools that I interviewed at. Hopefully you'll get my spot if I decline.

Aggie08-
How do I PM? I'm new to SDN.

Thanks!

<---- Click my name over there and you should see an option to "Send a private message to aggie08"

We use Costanzo's physiology book for our Phys block. It's actually a really good book. I normally tell people not to worry about what they'll learn in med school until they get here, but in this instance I guess it wouldn't hurt for you to use this book. Just don't try to learn everything in it or overlearn. Use this book as an outline. Overall, though I would recommend that you do well in your class and get a good foundation from what they teach you there. Don't worry about reading the entire book or anything - that won't help you. Get a good idea of basic phys for all the organ systems and you will already be ahead of 90% of your class. Our phys block is good, you don't need to be come in knowing physiology really. So, just learn what they are teaching in class and make a good grade, but use this as your text book if you really want to.

http://www.amazon.com/Physiology-ST...2165/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294846717&sr=8-1

A lot of people also like BRS Physiology for a review book. It's also written by Costanzo, I believe. You shouldn't need that until you get here, though.

I know a lot of them were really busy, but they do well and adapt fine to the schedule. I'm not sure about the research or accreditation or pros and cons since I'm not involved with the program. If you'll PM me your email address I'll pass it along to a couple friends I have in the MD/MBA program and see if they can give you more information.

Along the lines of Textbooks... does tech have a big bro/sis program? I know UTH has a note/book sharing program were books are passed down from MS2 to MS1's every year.

Along the lines of Textbooks... does tech have a big bro/sis program? I know UTH has a note/book sharing program were books are passed down from MS2 to MS1's every year.

We have a big sib program for advice-giving and stuff, but I haven't heard of the MS2s (who are the big sibs for the MS1s) giving away their books to the incoming first years. Most people won't want to get rid of their books until they finish Step 1 studying so I'm actually really surprised the UTH kids would get rid of them like that. A lot of the MS3s will sell their books to the incoming MS1s for a low price, though - because you better bet a lot of us will be clearing our bookshelf after June of this year. :D

We have a big sib program for advice-giving and stuff, but I haven't heard of the MS2s (who are the big sibs for the MS1s) giving away their books to the incoming first years. Most people won't want to get rid of their books until they finish Step 1 studying so I'm actually really surprised the UTH kids would get rid of them like that. A lot of the MS3s will sell their books to the incoming MS1s for a low price, though - because you better bet a lot of us will be clearing our bookshelf after June of this year. :D

Haha. So true, I didn't even think about keeping books till after step. Thanks Agg

Aggie is right in that most people want to keep books to study for step, but that being said I still (as well as a bunch of other people) let my little sib "borrow" books to see if they wanted to end up buying them or just use them for the class. Like I didn't use my anatomy or embryo books during the fall so i just let my little sib use them. the down side is that my little sib returned them to me now so she will have to buy them if she wants to use them later for step. Although i haven't cracked open my anatomy or embryo book yet and i'm well into studying for step now - so she may not ever need to buy them. Her choice i suppose. ;)

Aggie is right in that most people want to keep books to study for step, but that being said I still (as well as a bunch of other people) let my little sib "borrow" books to see if they wanted to end up buying them or just use them for the class. Like I didn't use my anatomy or embryo books during the fall so i just let my little sib use them. the down side is that my little sib returned them to me now so she will have to buy them if she wants to use them later for step. Although i haven't cracked open my anatomy or embryo book yet and i'm well into studying for step now - so she may not ever need to buy them. Her choice i suppose. ;)

True I handed down my Netter flash cards to a first year, speaking of I forgot to get those back. Oops.

I need a teeny bit of advice regarding transcripts from last semester.

My transcripts from Fall 2010 have been received by TMDSAS, but does anyone know if they automatically forward them to the medical schools in a timely fashion? I interviewed at both Tech campuses and want to make sure they've gotten them before match, simply because I graduated in December and my new grades raised my GPA (a teeny bit, admittedly, from a 3.89 to a 3.91, but enough to push me to graduate Summa Cum Laude).

Should I call the admissions office to verify that they got the new transcripts? Does anyone know if they'll give much consideration to these updated grades? Being a liberal arts major, I know that they may have wanted to see how I did in some upper level science courses (they asked me how biochem was going in El Paso), but I didn't think that an update letter was warranted for information that could be easily viewed from a transcript. I don't want to annoy the admissions office so close to match! Haha.

/inquisitive minor panicking

Match Day is coming up quick (as if y'all didn't know that, I'm sure you have a second-by-second count down as your background ;) ) - I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone the best of luck!! Hope to see some of you at TTUHSC next year!

Match Day is coming up quick (as if y'all didn't know that, I'm sure you have a second-by-second count down as your background ;) ) - I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone the best of luck!! Hope to see some of you at TTUHSC next year!

They should put a like button on sdn, like Facebook.

I just got done plain 5 games of softball. Can't wait to beat those law students in rec ball next year!

They should put a like button on sdn, like Facebook.

I just got done plain 5 games of softball. Can't wait to beat those law students in rec ball next year!

I am ready for the flag football game!!!

I am ready for the flag football game!!!

When does this take place and who all can play in it? I played a bit of IM FF at UT and play almost every Sunday now with my friends at home. Sounds awesome.

When does this take place and who all can play in it? I played a bit of IM FF at UT and play almost every Sunday now with my friends at home. Sounds awesome.

Who knows when it takes place but Im sure sometime in the fall.

This could be referring to the "Malpractice Bowl" against the TTU Law students, which I have no info on. But, as a medical student you can pay a rec fee (not much if I remember right) to use the on campus rec facilities as well as play intramurals. There is flag football in the fall, softball in the fall and spring, volleyball in the fall, basketball in the spring, plus a football tournament in the spring. There are also some other sports tournaments throughout the year: golf, table tennis, inner tube water polo, tennis, and a few more I think.
Hope that helps, I am an undergrad at Tech, so I know about our intramurals! The main sports usually have a lot of teams, and a playoff system that lets everyone in.

This could be referring to the "Malpractice Bowl" against the TTU Law students, which I have no info on. But, as a medical student you can pay a rec fee (not much if I remember right) to use the on campus rec facilities as well as play intramurals. There is flag football in the fall, softball in the fall and spring, volleyball in the fall, basketball in the spring, plus a football tournament in the spring. There are also some other sports tournaments throughout the year: golf, table tennis, inner tube water polo, tennis, and a few more I think.
Hope that helps, I am an undergrad at Tech, so I know about our intramurals! The main sports usually have a lot of teams, and a playoff system that lets everyone in.

No fee for rec use. I don't think there is one for intramurals (I haven't played them...) either.

Well, let me correct that. Your fee is in your tuition. Anyone can use the rec.

This could be referring to the "Malpractice Bowl" against the TTU Law students, which I have no info on.

Lol what a great name for a game. And dude, we're going to be classmates.. word.

Is everyone lumped into one league for IM i.e., undergrads and graduates play together or undergrads and grads play in separate leagues? Also, are there A, B, and C divisions? Not sure how much time I'll have to play but having the option is nice. Vedy nice.

Lol what a great name for a game. And dude, we're going to be classmates.. word.

Is everyone lumped into one league for IM i.e., undergrads and graduates play together or undergrads and grads play in separate leagues? Also, are there A, B, and C divisions? Not sure how much time I'll have to play but having the option is nice. Vedy nice.

Everyone plays together and it is serious business. :) I'm not sure on the divisions. You will definitely have time to play if you like doing that sort of thing.

Everyone plays each other and you aren't guarenteed to play the law students (sign ups are first come, first serve by day of week). Most sports have mens, women's, and co-ed divisions and some (football for sure not positive on others) further break that into competitive and rec categories.

I have only played on a couple teams but all the team sports I have played in have a $50 forfeit fee that usually someone volunteers to pay and then they get a check back at the end of the semester if you don't forfeit.

I hope that helps- I have loved having it available and have been surprised how many people in our class have participated either by playing or just coming out to cheer and enjoy the games.

Agg or any of the other Tech MS's floating around. Did Tech send any weird/funny/goofy/cool/interesting thing with there email acceptance?

I heard last year UTMB send an e-card with "Tonights going to be a good night" (BEP song) because you've been accepted to med school ... lol. Anyone else heard of anything like that from any school?

Agg or any of the other Tech MS's floating around. Did Tech send any weird/funny/goofy/cool/interesting thing with there email acceptance?

I heard last year UTMB send an e-card with "Tonights going to be a good night" (BEP song) because you've been accepted to med school ... lol. Anyone else heard of anything like that from any school?

UTMB did that our year, as well - I haven't ever heard of another school doing it though.

Inner tube water polo sounds righteous. I hope I match here solely to get in on some of that. :laugh::laugh:

Inner tube water polo sounds righteous. I hope I match here solely to get in on some of that. :laugh::laugh:

I haven't ever got the chance to play personally due to class and work schedules - but my roomates said it was awesome :thumbup:. Don't forget our leisure pool either. They don't talk up the undergrad campus much for med school interviews - but we have a pretty nice leisure pool (lazy river, two slides, lap pool, volleyball pool, and some other cool stuff). Plus the other pool connected to the rec that is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.