2010-2011 UC Berkeley & UCSF Joint Medical Program Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoChino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those interested in the 5-year MD/MS program offered through UC Berkeley and UCSF, otherwise known as the Joint Medical Program! While this program is technically part of the UCSF application process, it is sufficiently different (and goes through a different admissions review system) that I think it deserves it own thread. Basically, the JMP is a cohort of 16 UCSF students that spends the first three years at Berkeley: students have a 100% case-based preclinical medical curriculum with an emphasis in clinical skills experience. Additionally, students also take classes in a variety of graduate departments and write a thesis towards the completion of an M.S. degree in Health and Medical Sciences. The subject of the thesis is completely up to the student, and can be in any field related to health - from biomedical/basic sciences, to medical anthropology, or health policy/econ to give a few examples. After graduating with the M.S. from Berkeley, students transfer to UCSF to complete their last two clinical years with the regular M.D. class.

More info below at the Berkeley and UCSF sites below:

http://jmp.berkeley.edu/
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions...ulum.aspx#mdms

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten into this program before? what kind of students do they accept?
Thanks!

The students at the JMP tend to be a fairly diverse and non-traditional bunch. The unifying theme is that they have an interest in academic health work in a broader sense than what you get from a typical medical curriculum. More students tend to be interested in the socio-political aspects of health, but plenty have done more traditional bio-medical / basic science work. You can think about it as an ability to do a research project without taking the time to go through an MD/PhD.

Admissions really focuses on personality/experiences/extracurriculars, perhaps more so than other med schools. This is because they are crafting a class of 16 and they want to be sure that the individuals will have the maturity and dedication to be able to teach each other during problem-based learning. Grades/stats are on par with UCSF averages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply!
I assume it is very competitive to get in?

...Looks like interviews are starting up for the coming application cycle. Feel free to post questions or message me about anything related to the JMP, or the interview day.

Anyone else schedule an interview and not get a confirmation email? I can't remember whether I was supposed to get a confirmation email from JMP in addition to UCSF...

I would just call the office. Admissions interviews are handled by one person (Mary Rita), and you can call anytime during work hours to check.

Do you know how many people they interview for the class of 16? Just curious about the numbers :)

Anyone have news or updates? Any rejections or acceptances?

Has anyone heard back yet? I was told I might hear back sometime in January but still no news.

Does anyone know how responses come back? Are rejections snail mail and waitlists/acceptances by phone?

Does anyone know how responses come back? Are rejections snail mail and waitlists/acceptances by phone?

Wait lists are definitely by snail mail (mine was), and I would guess that rejections are too. Not sure about acceptances.

Good luck!

Thanks! I hope the waitlist goes your way.

Does anyone know if acceptances come in large envelopes?

I just received a phone call for acceptance. Apparently, since it's spring break there this week, it will take a while to get any acceptance material sent through the mail. I would assume that any other acceptances would be via telephone call for that reason. Good luck to anyone else who was on the alternate list!

Are there any other interviewees still awaiting an admissions decision?

Interviewed in February. Mary Rita told me I might not hear back until April (which sounds right, as it's almost April.)

Status
Not open for further replies.