2010-2011 University of Alabama Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know any details on what the school requires for laptops? For example I have a friend in the dental school that said his entire class has MacBook Pros. Just wondering as I will need to replace my undergraduate laptop sometime this summer. Best of luck to all those still waiting on acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know any details on what the school requires for laptops? For example I have a friend in the dental school that said his entire class has MacBook Pros. Just wondering as I will need to replace my undergraduate laptop sometime this summer. Best of luck to all those still waiting on acceptances.

http://medicine.uab.edu/education/74203/

Members don't see this ad :)
Just about everything on the market these days (sans netbooks) meet the requirements.

Some general suggestions though-- a mac is good for getting it repaired quickly at the apple store. They're expensive though.

A Dell XPS has at-home service (they come to you) which works quite well (it's what I have). You don't have to send your computer in or leave it somewhere, so if you just need the speakers fixed or something you're not down a computer for a week.

It's really up to you though, and depends on your usage. If you're going to use it at a desk most the time, a desktop might be the better option. I know I'm going to transition to a desktop+tablet setup, since that fits my usage style the best. (I would still have my old laptop though, for those rare instances I need it)

I will be buying a new laptop...suggestions? Any advice is welcomed
Where to buy it? What brand? What screen size? and an estimate of price?
Thanks
Erica

I just bought this...

HP Pavilion dv6t Entertainment PC
• black cherry
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-370M Dual Core Processor (2.40 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) + Intel(R) HD Graphics
• FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• FREE Upgrade to Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 3 Year Subscription from 2 Year Subscription
• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.25 hours of battery life +++
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision Webcam and Digital Microphone
• Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN
• Standard Keyboard
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

I thought it was the best deal for the money. I've never owned an HP before, but my dad has and highly recommends them. Plus I got an awesome deal on an all-in-one wireless printer. :p

I couldn't get her to respond about the tier but did who else could the background check email this morning?

Did the rest of the people who got in recently get their official letter? If so, are those of you accepted/waitlisted at USA going to drop? Thanks and congrats!

I couldn't get her to respond about the tier but did who else could the background check email this morning?

Gonna need you to translate the last part of that sentence

Oh....wow....

I wrote that from my phone when I first woke up. I just saw the e-mail and remembered it from last year's thread. I probably should have waited to write that until I had woken up.

I received an e-mail from AAMC asking for me to complete a background check because it was requested by a school. I remember reading that UAB did this around the same time last year. So I was curious who else received this e-mail.

Oh....wow....

I wrote that from my phone when I first woke up. I just saw the e-mail and remembered it from last year's thread. I probably should have waited to write that until I had woken up.

I received an e-mail from AAMC asking for me to complete a background check because it was requested by a school. I remember reading that UAB did this around the same time last year. So I was curious who else received this e-mail.

Don't know if either one of us are going to get many replies, this board is dead now. I'm sure you can rule us lower third folks out of having received that email. The CBC email is good though, it seems like the large majority of those who received it got in over the course of the summer.

I also received this email. And I don't think this forum is dead, just a little quieter since UAB seems to be releasing information in spurts inestead of last year's continual flow. I have a good feeling middle and lower tier members are still checking back - just nothing to comment on.

Did the rest of the people who got in recently get their official letter? If so, are those of you accepted/waitlisted at USA going to drop? Thanks and congrats!

I haven't received my official letter yet. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, the CBC email went out on June 1st for a lot of people on the waitlist. It seemed to be an indicator that one might get in because no one that didn't get it was accepted. However, not everybody that got it was accepted.

It seems like once you cleared the background check, there would be no reason for another one.

Accepted:
Gnocchi Monster's friend (A: 4/7, 1st tier)
BamaMed19's friend (A: 4/13, 1st tier)
RTR10 (A: 4/15, 1st tier)
aeea's friend (A: 4/15, 1st tier)
virginiagirl (A: 4/15, 1st tier)
alienshards' friend (A: 4/20 1st tier)
premed3753 (IS) (5/20 1st tier)
alienshards (5/20 1st tier)
aeea (IS) (5/20 1st)
Ditto1114 (IS) (5/20 1st)
AUpremed22 (IS) (5/20 1st)
HP9965 (IS) (5/20 1st)
pikpik55 (IS) (5/20 1st)
alienshards' friend (5/20 1st)
piper19 (IS) (5/20 1st)
bulldog11 (IS) (5/20 1st)
NeverDefeated (IS) (5/20 1st)
spate36 (5/20 1st)
Bambalam (5/20 1st)
Pluto or Astro (5/20 1st)
AUGuy's friend (5/26 ??tier)

Middle Tier:

AUGuy (IS) (CBC email)
Remedy27 (CBC email)
WillCall (IS) (CBC email)
buckmaster11 (IS) (CBC email)
Putters (CBC unknown/South acceptee)
rrroddy (IS) (CBC unknown/South acceptee)
GnocchiMonster
ruraldoc7
Dapado33
elmo42

Bottom Tier:
YH5
BamaMed19 (IS)
OdoyleRulez
jmb222 (IS)
Spibumosa
bur2334
nossan (IS)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they notify you twice for CBCs from different schools?

I got a CBC email for South back in December. I have yet to receive another one for UAB, but my secondary application page says my background check is "In Process." So, I would say they only send you one e-mail.

Last edited:
anybody looking for apartments should check out Brian at hoover.selectmyspace.com , he directed my wife and I to a place that is a great fit for us (he saved us a lot of legwork and his service is free)

i still haven't received the official letter :(

but i plan on withdrawing from south as soon as i do! good luck!

i still haven't received the official letter :(

but i plan on withdrawing from south as soon as i do! good luck!

I got mine yesterday and subsequently withdrew from South! Good luck to everyone still waiting! :)

On another note, do you think UAB still has some scholarships to give out? I would think that they gave out everything, but the financial e-mail and the official letter packet said that everyone accepted is in the running for scholarships. I ask because I don't want to redo my FAFSA to include my parents finances. Any ideas?

I got mine yesterday and subsequently withdrew from South! Good luck to everyone still waiting! :)

On another note, do you think UAB still has some scholarships to give out? I would think that they gave out everything, but the financial e-mail and the official letter packet said that everyone accepted is in the running for scholarships. I ask because I don't want to redo my FAFSA to include my parents finances. Any ideas?

I emailed Peggy at South about withdrawing but never heard anything back from her. What do I need to do to officially withdraw from South?
Thanks and Good luck to everyone out there still waiting

I emailed Peggy at South about withdrawing but never heard anything back from her. What do I need to do to officially withdraw from South?

I just e-mailed Peggy. I haven't heard back from her yet either. That's all I did at the other schools I withdrew from so I don't think there's anything else?

AUGuy - Is it possible that your friend was accepted into the Rural Program? The date is about right and it would explain the lack of "tier information."

Last edited:
In the interest of making this list as accurate as possible, could the rest of the middle tier-ers check in? Are you CBC, no CBC, or CBC/requested by South?

Even more importantly, if you're a "middle tier" person out there who isn't on the list yet, please check in. The more complete the list, the better its predictabality factor.

Last edited:
Accepted:
Gnocchi Monster's friend (A: 4/7, 1st tier)
BamaMed19's friend (A: 4/13, 1st tier)
RTR10 (A: 4/15, 1st tier)
aeea's friend (A: 4/15, 1st tier)
alienshards' friend (A: 4/20 1st tier)
premed3753 (IS) (5/20 1st tier)
alienshards (5/20 1st tier)
aeea (IS) (5/20 1st)
Ditto1114 (IS) (5/20 1st)
AUpremed22 (IS) (5/20 1st)
HP9965 (IS) (5/20 1st)
pikpik55 (IS) (5/20 1st)
alienshards' friend (5/20 1st)
piper19 (IS) (5/20 1st)
bulldog11 (IS) (5/20 1st)
NeverDefeated (IS) (5/20 1st)
spate36 (5/20 1st)
Bambalam (5/20 1st)
Pluto or Astro (5/20 1st)
AUGuy's friend (5/26 ??tier)

Middle Tier:

AUGuy (IS) (CBC email)
Remedy27 (CBC email)
WillCall (IS) (CBC email)
buckmaster11 (IS) (CBC email)
Putters (CBC unknown/South acceptee)
rrroddy (IS) (CBC unknown/South acceptee)
fire89 (CBC unknown/South acceptee)
GnocchiMonster
ruraldoc7
Dapado33
elmo42

Bottom Tier:
YH5
BamaMed19 (IS)
OdoyleRulez
jmb222 (IS)
Spibumosa
bur2334
nossan (IS)

Welcome fire89!

Last edited:
I stumbled upon these forums recently and decided to post on nossan's request. :thumbup:

I'm a middle-tier at UAB and accepted at South. I got the CBC e-mail back in January (South probably asked for it) so I'm hoping :xf: it doesn't mean anything that I didn't get one this time like you other middle-tiers.

Congrats to all of you guys that have been accepted!!

I will be attending school in Mobile at South, so my apartment is up for rent. It's a 1 bedroom, updated apartment in Southside within walking distance (15 min) to UAB. It is the upstairs unit in a triplex. There is shared laundry. Rent is $510 water included.

PM me for more information!

Same here I emailed yesterday to withdraw and didn't get a response, so maybe they just don't respond back. I mentioned to let me know if there was anything else I needed to do to withdraw, so I'm assuming that was all.

I'm still looking for a roommate for next year if anyone on here but not in the fb book group is interested. PM me.

Same here I emailed yesterday to withdraw and didn't get a response, so maybe they just don't respond back. I mentioned to let me know if there was anything else I needed to do to withdraw, so I'm assuming that was all.

I sent a certified letter.

Has anyone heard of people getting in off of the middle third. It almost seems like they are holding acceptances to give out a bunch at one time. Any thoughts?

Has anyone heard of people getting in off of the middle third. It almost seems like they are holding acceptances to give out a bunch at one time. Any thoughts?

Who knows, but I hope sending the CBC email to a lot of us means that they expect more movement. Btw, have you or anyone else asked for feedback? I haven't gotten a response in almost 2 weeks.

At this point it looks like Dr. Smith's prediction of one acceptance per week is coming to fruition. The good news is - it could be anybody with the "CBC" accepted next.

Last edited:
Congratulations YH5 on today's acceptance at South:)!

Congratulations YH5 on today's acceptance at South:)!

Thanks! FWIW, I'm withdrawing from UAB. Doesn't look like it was gonna happen for me anyway. Good luck to the remaining waitlistees!

YH5 - I don't know. I'd be tempted to stay on the list just to get that end-of-the-year statistical breakdown of this years app cycle.

Good luck to you at South!

Sad to see so little movement! I've been gone traveling for a while but I thought I'd just throw in some updates. I'm IS and accepted at South. I also got the CBC email back in January.

Accepted:
Gnocchi Monster's friend (Accepted: 4/7, 1st tier)
BamaMed19's friend (4/13, 1st tier)
RTR10 (4/15, 1st tier)
aeea's friend (4/15, 1st tier)
alienshards' friend (4/20, 1st tier)
premed3753 (5/20, 1st tier)
alienshards (5/20, 1st tier)
aeea (5/20, 1st)
Ditto1114 (5/20, 1st)
AUpremed22 (5/20, 1st)
HP9965 (5/20, 1st)
pikpik55 (5/20, 1st)
alienshards' friend (5/20, 1st)
piper19 (5/20, 1st)
bulldog11 (5/20, 1st)
NeverDefeated (5/20, 1st)
spate36 (5/20, 1st)
Bambalam (5/20, 1st)
Pluto or Astro (5/20, 1st)
AUGuy's friend (5/26, ??tier)
rrroddy's friend (5/?? 2nd tier)

Middle Tier:
AUGuy (CBC email)
Remedy27 (CBC email)
WillCall (CBC email)
buckmaster11 (CBC email)
elmo42 (CBC email)
Putters (CBC requested/South)
rrroddy (CBC requested/South)
fire89 (CBC requested/South)
GnocchiMonster (CBC requested/South)
ruraldoc7
Dapado33

Bottom Tier:
YH5
BamaMed19
OdoyleRulez
jmb222
Spibumosa
bur2334
nossan

Thanks for checking in GnocchiMonster. I've cleaned up the list a little - I think it's clear that we're all IS (between self reporting, names, South acceptances, rural program etc)

I can't imagine UASOM requesting CBCs unless they think that applicant is is a probability vs possibility. Does anyone think they could be holding up notifications AGAIN?

Last edited:
i'd guess 6/20 may be the next time they notify people since pretty much everyone accepted happend on 4/20 and 5/20

Status
Not open for further replies.