2010-2011 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
guys, seriously, be glad. we had THREE essays to write! a tip i'd give you though is to focus on writing about a memorable and remarkable experience that you would really like them to know about, and THEN tie it to leadership, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Writing about your research experience and shadowing experience and what you have learned from them would be a good idea as well. Think leadership, altruism, and interprofessionalism. I also thought that the VTC essays were some of the hardest, but like IDoIt4Love said, we had three of that length. If we can do it, you guys can too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I should only do one experience?

I think I am just going to go for my research for my masters right now -- it has some innovation (and things no one else knows but me!), teamwork (even some interdisciplinary teamwork), and leadership (I have my summer undergrad that I mentor)

Or should I do multiple -- like this research, my leadership as a club president, ect.

Sounds good! The school seems to have a focus on "interdisciplinary leadership" and it looks like your experience hits on all the points. I wrote about a similar experience. Good luck :)

Sounds good! The school seems to have a focus on "interdisciplinary leadership" and it looks like your experience hits on all the points. I wrote about a similar experience. Good luck :)
awesome! Now I just need to make it sound pretty. And not make toooo much fun of engineers. :p

Does anyone know what their LOR requirements are?
I can't find anywhere that says it needs 1 science, 2 non science...etc...
And what is the max # we can send it?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what their LOR requirements are?
I can't find anywhere that says it needs 1 science, 2 non science...etc...
And what is the max # we can send it?

"If you choose to complete the ETS PPI process, we request three (minimum) to five (maximum) evaluations, including one from a science or math faculty member w ho has had significant contact with you. You are free to choose your other evaluators. It is NOT necessary to use the same evaluators as the faculty members who wrote your standard letters of recommendation. We would encourage you to get PPI evaluations from some of the supervisors, mentors, or employers that you listed in the Work/Activities section of your AMCAS application."
-- I assume this is true if you just send in LOR (without ETS) - 1 science and the rest people who know you well.

I have not received the secondary. Does this mean I've been screened out :( I have received no word, except that they got my primary application, and that was a long time ago.

It seems like they screened through a handful of people and then all kind of activity from VTC just sort of disappeared off the radar. Should I call them? I'm from the south and I'd really like the opportunity to submit a secondary. :xf:

I have not received the secondary. Does this mean I've been screened out :( I have received no word, except that they got my primary application, and that was a long time ago.

It seems like they screened through a handful of people and then all kind of activity from VTC just sort of disappeared off the radar. Should I call them? I'm from the south and I'd really like the opportunity to submit a secondary. :xf:

You will know if they screened out when they send you an email saying that you will not be recieving a secondary. VTC is really busy getting ready for the new class. It will take time but until you get the official "no" then don't get down on yourself.

You will know if they screened out when they send you an email saying that you will not be recieving a secondary. VTC is really busy getting ready for the new class. It will take time but until you get the official "no" then don't get down on yourself.

Thanks for the info Panda :thumbup: Have some people already been screened out??
That makes sense that they are putting all their efforts into being organized for the first class.
I was happy to see that this cycle they sent the secondary out early-ish, sort of like other med schools; because on last years thread the whole process looked a bit disorganized. But now that there's been no further action on VTC's admissions, I've been feeling a bit in limbo:(
I'll just have to hurry up and wait. Hey, when is the official start day for VTC? Congratulations!!

Anyone know the stats of accepted students here? I'm trying to decided if I'm competitive enough to apply: MCAT: 27 (VR = 7) and 3.95 GPA OOS.

Freezer quoted a newspaper article that stated the accepted students MCAT range from 30-41. I don't know how true that is... but having below a 30 might hurt you. If you think you fit the VTC mission well (it sounds like they like research alot) and like the curriculum, I would say go for it. But you should probably wait to hear what the incoming students say.

I'm having the last person read my VTC essay tonight and hopefully submitting tomorrow! :woot:

Freezer quoted a newspaper article that stated the accepted students MCAT range from 30-41. I don't know how true that is... but having below a 30 might hurt you. If you think you fit the VTC mission well (it sounds like they like research alot) and like the curriculum, I would say go for it. But you should probably wait to hear what the incoming students say.

I'm having the last person read my VTC essay tonight and hopefully submitting tomorrow! :woot:

Ah, thanks. Well, research is the strongest point of my application and I love it...which is actually why I am interested in the school. I just don't know if I'll have a chance with my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, thanks. Well, research is the strongest point of my application and I love it...which is actually why I am interested in the school. I just don't know if I'll have a chance with my MCAT.
Well if you have extra money around, the secondary is $50 and I can imagine it hurting to apply. They seem like a school that would look beyond just your MCAT score.

Hey guys!

The class of 2014 has orientation from Aug. 2 - Aug. 6, and our first day of class is Aug. 9. So yes, it is just around the corner!

As for the 30-41 range MCAT, the statistic is true, but they never told us that they screened out anyone who scored less than a 30. Also, our GPA range is pretty wide (granted if you are below a 3.0 your chances are pretty slim at any US allopathic schools), so the school definitely isn't just all about numbers.

Good luck you guys! I just spent the weekend moving down to Roanoke, and it looks like our class is all really excited to start! :luck:

Hey guys!

The class of 2014 has orientation from Aug. 2 - Aug. 6, and our first day of class is Aug. 9. So yes, it is just around the corner!

As for the 30-41 range MCAT, the statistic is true, but they never told us that they screened out anyone who scored less than a 30. Also, our GPA range is pretty wide (granted if you are below a 3.0 your chances are pretty slim at any US allopathic schools), so the school definitely isn't just all about numbers.

Good luck you guys! I just spent the weekend moving down to Roanoke, and it looks like our class is all really excited to start! :luck:

Thanks for the info :) Would you happen to have the specific range of accepted GPAs also?

got screened in today! :D
for anyone wondering, that means they look beyond just numbers bc mine are not that great lol

got screened in today! :D
for anyone wondering, that means they look beyond just numbers bc mine are not that great lol

Wow! They are back in the screening business! Thanks for posting. My MCAT scores are :eek:, so we'll see if they show me any love. I do have a lot of research background, so maybe that might offset my MCAT dilemma.;)

BTW, Congratulations!! IS or OOS?

I got an email from them like month ago saying that they recieved my primary application and the would get back to be shortly with the secondary, but I still haven't recieved anything else. I am starting to get worried.

I got an email from them like month ago saying that they recieved my primary application and the would get back to be shortly with the secondary, but I still haven't recieved anything else. I am starting to get worried.

i wouldnt worry just yet ... it took them a while to get to mine too and i just heard this morning. i would say give it another week, maybe week and a half before calling. people on this thread have suggested that the adcom took a break from reviewing files in order to finish getting ready for the incoming class, so they might be backed up.
but i do know how you feel ... this process is crazyy!!:scared: :laugh:

oh and im OOS for those wondering

Irrelevant.

edit: Also judging by your SN, are you linking to your own blog? Or perhaps someone you're related to? :rolleyes:
No- no relation to the "blogger". And no relation to the author of the newspaper article that was the subject of the blog.

And if you think that the financial stability of the primary teaching hospital/medical system that is the base for clinical rotations, etc. is irrelevant, you are quite naive.

Just got screened in and got the secondary today. Got the original acknowledgment on 7/26. OOS 3.6+/35+

No- no relation to the "blogger". And no relation to the author of the newspaper article that was the subject of the blog.

And if you think that the financial stability of the primary teaching hospital/medical system that is the base for clinical rotations, etc. is irrelevant, you are quite naive.

It's not like Carilion is on the verge of bankruptcy. Everyone has been hit by the recession, it's no secret. You can likely find articles like this about any hospital system.

http://thesunnews.typepad.com/opini...-in-trouble-health-care-is-really-broken.html

Here's one on how Mayo Clinic struggled. Guess nobody should apply to their medical school?

The school will likely be unaffected by any of this. The students will still do rotations, still get residencies(these are federally backed, FYI), still get a quality education, and still get their MD. In fact, I doubt the school would have been offering scholarships to their students if they were worried about the financial backing of the program.

...In fact, I doubt the school would have been offering scholarships to their students if they were worried about the financial backing of the program.

And about those scholarships...

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/252900

The article begins..."Top officials at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine are pleading with the region for scholarship money even as Carilion Clinic has agreed to pay tuition and fees for the first year for the inaugural class.
Stephen Workman, director of admissions for VTC, told the Kiwanis Club of Roanoke on Wednesday that there were "final details still yet to be put into place" before the school opens in 26 days. He asked the business community to consider making financial donations to support the school."

I wonder how much they actually screen: I have a low GPA and no research and I just got my secondary today (verified 7/29). Odd because it's the weekend.

Last edited:
Hmm, if I opt to send in traditional LORs, are there minimum requirements? Is 2 science and 1 clinical okay?

deleted

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
Just submitted my secondary yesterday...I guess I missed the first round of invites.

Do they send pre-secondary rejections? Or is it silent?

My secondary isn't marked complete yet so I guess I missed that boat too. It's all good though -- I plan on going to a baseball game that day anyways (and would be sad if an interview changed my plans) :laugh:

[i kid-- I would have loved it]

jadealer -- they seem to slowly be going through applications and sending people secondaries. I'm sure they will let you know if they rejected you.

Just submitted my secondary... i'm surprised they would consider me 3.2ish 32mcat but I do have a large amount of research

The Sunday Roanoke Times article was incorrect regarding interview invitations for the August 28 MMI date.

Those invitations will start going out later this week. :)

As always, if you have any questions, you are welcome to give us a call!

VTC Admissions Office
(540) 581-0136

Ah, that makes me feel better for some reason. Thanks!

My secondary isn't marked complete yet so I guess I missed that boat too. It's all good though -- I plan on going to a baseball game that day anyways (and would be sad if an interview changed my plans) :laugh:

[i kid-- I would have loved it]

jadealer -- they seem to slowly be going through applications and sending people secondaries. I'm sure they will let you know if they rejected you.

Hmm, mine was marked complete immediately upon submission. Is there another place you're looking other than applyweb?

Hmm, mine was marked complete immediately upon submission. Is there another place you're looking other than applyweb?
I'm waiting for the complete email. I got an email stating: "Your Secondary Application has arrived at Virginia Tech Carilion SOM." I forgot to mark my LORs on AMCAS to be sent to VTC until two-days after I sent the secondary... so I assume once they get those, they will send me a complete email.

Applyweb only states that I have sent my secondary in and paid the fee. Not that they received my LORs and are reviewing my application.

I'm waiting for the complete email. I got an email stating: "Your Secondary Application has arrived at Virginia Tech Carilion SOM." I forgot to mark my LORs on AMCAS to be sent to VTC until two-days after I sent the secondary... so I assume once they get those, they will send me a complete email.

Applyweb only states that I have sent my secondary in and paid the fee. Not that they received my LORs and are reviewing my application.

So we should expect a complete email then? I got the "your secondary has arrived" email 07/27 after submitting 07/16..wasn't sure if I should call to see if I'm actually complete or not.

So we should expect a complete email then? I got the "your secondary has arrived" email 07/27 after submitting 07/16..wasn't sure if I should call to see if I'm actually complete or not.
I would expect a complete email. They might have just started looking at secondaries though and marking them complete considering I submitted 7/26 and got the complete email 7/27, so I wouldn't call just yet.

My primary was verified 6/25 and I haven't received any notification that they've received it, let alone news about a secondary. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Just applied to this school, and got the notification that they received my primary app. Fingers crossed to get past the secondary screen!

Has anyone gotten rejected by this school?!? Did you get a notice?? or should I just assume since they have had my application since 7/10 that is a pre-secondary rejection?

Has anyone gotten rejected by this school?!? Did you get a notice?? or should I just assume since they have had my application since 7/10 that is a pre-secondary rejection?

I have no idea, but I'm in the same boat. I'm getting irritated with this school.

yeah in the same boat. received my primary, no word of a secondary. i guess we have to wait?

Filled out the secondary on 8/1, but never got the complete email and there doesn't seem to be a place online to check?

I have no idea, but I'm in the same boat. I'm getting irritated with this school.

I called, and they said that they would notify the applicant if they were not going to be receiving a secondary from VTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.