2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should everyone who interviewed for UP hear back by this Friday?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Accepted! SO Stoked! Does anyone know if there's a 2016 facebook group? And are many folks going to second look?

OMG ...Accepted!!! Ahhhh!!!! (it'll take me a couple of seconds to calm down) :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Or Tuesday. This is extremely likely to be the case.

For the University program i'm looking for some clarification. I am currently on 'hold for a future decision'. Does this mean I am still being considered for acceptance or just for a spot on the alternate list? Also is there a high priority hold list?

It is said that to land a competitive program, your step 1 + bench press must be at least 400. Thus, to maximally gun for orthopedics, go to the gym during your study breaks. :)

Only 400? I'm shooting for 550. :cool: 100 Step 1 + 450 bench! jkjk Haha.

So, I assume there is a space on orthpedic residency applications for bench press numbers? :laugh:

Yes! Accepted! SO Stoked! Does anyone know if there's a 2016 facebook group? And are many folks going to second look?

OMG ...Accepted!!! Ahhhh!!!! (it'll take me a couple of seconds to calm down) :soexcited:

Congratulations! :luck:

Only 400? I'm shooting for 550. :cool: 100 Step 1 + 450 bench! jkjk Haha.

So, I assume there is a space on orthpedic residency applications for bench press numbers? :laugh:

You may joke, but I've actually heard of some applicants being tested for grip strength at interviews. :p

You may joke, but I've actually heard of some applicants being tested for grip strength at interviews. :p

Well considering the fact that ortho is pretty much sterile carpentry, I can completely see that as reasonable! :D

Any idea if/when the admissions office will contact people from the alternate list to attend CCLCM second look?

Any idea when we might hear from CCLCM on whether we are waitlist or rejected? Still nothing for me... no update whatsoever

Members don't see this ad :)
Really could use some good news from Case. I am starting to feel a little bitter towards another school (I'm sure you can easily figure it out based on my post history). :xf: for a waitlist spot in April.

Any idea when we might hear from CCLCM on whether we are waitlist or rejected? Still nothing for me... no update whatsoever

Do you live in a place that would be far by snail mail? I would expect it to be coming soon...

Snail mail? The rest of us got updates on iApply. I think that poster should call in and ask.

Got the update late last night. On the alternate list. Didn't even need to use my snail mailbox to update iApply. :cool:

Are there great places to go running outside on/near campus? Thanks!

:zip:

I was recently placed on the alternate list to CCLCM, and then was also invited for second look today. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not going to the revisite day would decrease chances of getting in? I would love to go but plane tickets are very expensive from LA to Cleveland (~$500-$600)...

On a separate note, I am planning on deferring for a year if I am accepted (off of the alternative list). Do you think this would be possible? At this point, I am pretty determined on taking a year off (I was able to convince Northwestern to let me defer so I would assume my reasons to take a year off is at least a little bit legitimate).

I am afraid of this:
[sometime in the future]
CCLCM: congrats you are accepted from the alternative list!
Me: yay! actually I want to defer for a year.
CCLCM: JK lollerz we don't want to accept you anymore.

Any suggestions? Has this been done before?

Thanks!

I was recently placed on the alternate list to CCLCM, and then was also invited for second look today. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not going to the revisite day would decrease chances of getting in? I would love to go but plane tickets are very expensive from LA to Cleveland (~$500-$600)...

On a separate note, I am planning on deferring for a year if I am accepted (off of the alternative list). Do you think this would be possible? At this point, I am pretty determined on taking a year off (I was able to convince Northwestern to let me defer so I would assume my reasons to take a year off is at least a little bit legitimate).

I am afraid of this:
[sometime in the future]

Thanks!

I would call them and ask.

Congratulations on your other acceptances.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/03/01/medethics-2011-100411.short

This horrifying and disgusting journal article that is essentially proposing legalized infanticide for economic and convenience purposes should make you pretty angry. Just read the abstract and it tells you all you need to know about this bigoted piece of filth.
:wow:
:bang::boom:

:mad::mad::mad:

I can't believe it was even published, let alone in J. Med!

Sorry for all the emoticons, but this article was particularly infuriating for me to read.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/03/01/medethics-2011-100411.short

This horrifying and disgusting journal article that is essentially proposing legalized infanticide for economic and convenience purposes should make you pretty angry. Just read the abstract and it tells you all you need to know about this bigoted piece of filth.
:wow:
:bang::boom:

:mad::mad::mad:

I can't believe it was even published, let alone in J. Med!

Sorry for all the emoticons, but this article was particularly infuriating for me to read.

It's an ethical journal. And the authors are from a different culture and country.
Tolerance of others opinions is a virtue. And consider that the article is trying to provoke a response from you.

It's an ethical journal. And the authors are from a different culture and country.
Tolerance of others opinions is a virtue. And consider that the article is trying to provoke a response from you.

I'm sorry, but the "different culture" and "tolerance" argument cannot be made in any circumstance to really justify infanticide. Objectivity overrules any subjective excuse for infanticide.

I'm sorry, but the "different culture" and "tolerance" argument cannot be made in any circumstance to really justify infanticide. Objectivity overrules any subjective excuse for infanticide.

They attempt to justify their opinion through their paper. Personally, I disagree with them, but I can understand how an argument could be made. In many cultures it is still considered acceptable. If you want to be taken seriously, you should treat other peoples opinions with respect even when you strongly disagree with them. The first step in swaying others to your opinion is tolerating theirs.

And remember, it's an ethics journal. The perfect place for such an argument.

I just read a book, "The Good Earth" where a family leaves a baby to die because they are starving and don't want to risk killing the mother to feed the baby. Is infantacide justified to you then? Maybe. Who's to say. I think ethics are fascinating. There's no real objective right or wrong. There's only what's right to you. The burden is on you to prove to others that your moral compass is the correct one.

By the way, I like heavy metal, star wars, and am interested in ortho too. And I would be interested in attending above concert if I am accepted.

Last edited:
They attempt to justify their opinion through their paper. Personally, I disagree with them, but I can understand how an argument could be made. In many cultures it is still considered acceptable. If you want to be taken seriously, you should treat other peoples opinions with respect even when you strongly disagree with them. The first step in swaying others to your opinion is tolerating theirs.

And remember, it's an ethics journal. The perfect place for such an argument.

I just read a book, "The Good Earth" where a family leaves a baby to die because they are starving and don't want to risk killing the mother to feed the baby. Is infantacide justified to you then? Maybe. Who's to say. I think ethics are fascinating. There's no real objective right or wrong. There's only what's right to you. The burden is on you to prove to others that your moral compass is the correct one.

By the way, I like heavy metal, star wars, and am interested in ortho too. And I would be interested in attending above concert if I am accepted.

I love ethics too, but questions like this I consider completely off the table. I can openly respect the opinions of others, but when they are so beyond extreme, I really don't think they should be taken seriously. Tolerance has an incredibly important role in our society and in medicine, but there is a line that is drawn (in my opinion), and justifying infanticide for economic and convenience reasons is beyond that line. Their should be no gray area in what they are trying to argue for. It's murder, and it should not matter if said culture previously accepted it.

Anyway, it's great to find somebody with similar interests! Please let me know if you're accepted (best of luck with that :luck:). Iron Maiden tickets go on sale tomorrow, and I am planning on going to the show in Detroit. I need a fellow metal-head buddy in Cleveland to go to shows with. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I love ethics too, but questions like this I consider completely off the table. I can openly respect the opinions of others, but when they are so beyond extreme, I really don't think they should be taken seriously. Tolerance has an incredibly important role in our society and in medicine, but there is a line that is drawn (in my opinion), and justifying infanticide for economic and convenience reasons is beyond that line. Their should be no gray area in what they are trying to argue for. It's murder, and it should not matter if said culture previously accepted it.

Anyway, it's great to find somebody with similar interests! Please let me know if you're accepted (best of luck with that :luck:). Iron Maiden tickets go on sale tomorrow, and I am planning on going to the show in Detroit. I need a fellow metal-head buddy in Cleveland to go to shows with. :thumbup:

We could arm wrestle too. Don't forget, grip strength is important! Or beat our chests in a manly fashion. Who says we can't give in to stereotypes? :)

The last time I saw Iron Maiden play was at OzzFest back in 2005, right after I got married. Yeesh, I'm old.

We could arm wrestle too. Don't forget, grip strength is important! Or beat our chests in a manly fashion. Who says we can't give in to stereotypes? :)

The last time I saw Iron Maiden play was at OzzFest back in 2005, right after I got married. Yeesh, I'm old.

Yes! Of course we can. :laugh: Maybe we can mess with the future anesthesiologists too?

F2
bmj00317-0020-b.jpg

I've never been to OzzFest, but I did catch Maiden in Chicago during their last world tour. I can't wait to see them on this tour! Definitely keep me posted if you get accepted! :xf:

I am afraid of this:
[sometime in the future]

Thanks!

General advice for anyone who is invited to second look:

I have no connection with the admissions process, so this is all personal opinion, but I would try to make it out for second look.

1) We're a unique program in many ways so this gives you a much better sense of what it is and if this is really how to want to learn (ex. a group of second years come in and show you how a PBL session works, which really cleared that up for me, which is important because it's a huge part of our curriculum).

2) We're a class of only 32 and everything you do will be in groups, so how you mesh with your classmates is really important. This gives you an opportunity to come out and meet potential future classmates / roommates (But keep in mind they are potential, you don't know who will accept offers somewhere else or who is actually on the waitlist - especially because you shouldn't ask, it's rude, and no one needs to feel like they have to offer that information up).

3) For people on the alternate list, if you are really truly in love with this program, and this is where you want to go, then I would definitely make the trip out. If they invited you out here, it means they think you're a strong candidate and have a very good chance of eventually getting an acceptance, they wouldn't waste your time/money otherwise. This is an opportunity to really shine for the admissions committee. Come in your suit, sit next to the Dean or director of admissions at dinner, and wow them. While still being cordial and pleasant dinner company of course, tell them how much you want to be here and why.

Also, if you know this is where you'll go if you're accepted, go ahead and send in a letter of intent. Update them on what you've been up to for the past year and how those things make you such a great match for CCLCM.

See you at second look :luck::luck:

Not everyone on the alternate list is invited to second look correct? I haven't received an email, so I'm assuming not.

I'm on alternate list too and did not get invited for second look. Does that mean my chances of getting in are pretty low? I called and the lady said their alternate list is unranked, but then why would they only invite some people to second look.

I'm on alternate list too and did not get invited for second look. Does that mean my chances of getting in are pretty low? I called and the lady said their alternate list is unranked, but then why would they only invite some people to second look.

Okay, they take 32 in total, but the alternate list probably has at least 50 people on it. (considering the number of people on SDN who are put on that list) So chances are not great anyways. I've stopped worrying.

Actually i'm pretty sure its not 50 people on the alternate list. I remember Dr. Franco saying something like 60 people eventually get acceptances or there are 60 acceptances/alternate list letters. More likely around 28 on the alternate list. Still not great chances, but you never know.

Hi ycf, I'm almost sure I was in your interview group. I know your circumstance, and I have a feeling CCLCM would accommodate if you wanted to defer. If they decide to pull you off the alternate list in a month, I don't think they'd rescind their offer by your mere mention of "I'm considering deferring." You'd have more info, at least, if you had a conversation with them after getting accepted.

Congrats on the invite to 2nd look! I'm told that that's a very positive sign.

Hi ycf, I'm almost sure I was in your interview group. I know your circumstance, and I have a feeling CCLCM would accommodate if you wanted to defer. If they decide to pull you off the alternate list in a month, I don't think they'd rescind their offer by your mere mention of "I'm considering deferring." You'd have more info, at least, if you had a conversation with them after getting accepted.

Congrats on the invite to 2nd look! I'm told that that's a very positive sign.

Just FYI, your user name keeps reminding me of my upcoming parasitology test that I haven't started studying for. Back to the books :(

+1 how do they decide who gets invited from the alternate list to second look? How do they contact you about second look...iapply/email/phone?

To summarize:

CCLCM has now accepted 32 applicants, from a pool of 200+ interviewees. From now on, until the start of school, there will be only 32 accepted. For anyone on either waitlist to be accepted will require someone else to withdraw. While this can happen at any point going forward, it is more likely to happen as the "Traffic Date" draws near. Even after the traffic date, when people are only allowed to hold a single acceptance, there will be movement. In fact, it is possible to be accepted right up until the beginning of orientation in July.

Finally, a few RANDOM (I stress this) applicants who are on the waitlists will be invited to second look. This is because we have made provisions for 32 people to come to Second Look. If some of the acceptees cannot make it to second look (which is not mandatory) - the adcom will invite others to attend. An invitation to attend Second Look while on the waitlists is NOT an indication of your likelihood to be accepted. Likewise, lack of invitations to Second Look means nothing. So, before people start getting upset about this, I'm letting you all know.

Just FYI, your user name keeps reminding me of my upcoming parasitology test that I haven't started studying for. Back to the books

I'll be sure not to reveal my SDN name offline so no one associates me with a blood parasite. :D

Living downtown is slightly more feasible if you're CP, but for UP that's a lovely 30 min drive you'll be doing daily.

do people on the UP hold list get a chance to get in before being put on the waitlist? or does the UP hold list go directly to either reject or waitlist?

do people on the UP hold list get a chance to get in before being put on the waitlist? or does the UP hold list go directly to either reject or waitlist?

Straight to reject/waitlist, though there are rare exceptions.

Living downtown is slightly more feasible if you're CP, but for UP that's a lovely 30 min drive you'll be doing daily.

Didn't realize traffic would be that significant. So places on the west side (Lakewood, Rocky River) would mean a >30 minute commute?

Didn't realize traffic would be that significant. So places on the west side (Lakewood, Rocky River) would mean a >30 minute commute?

From the west side, definitely. Lakewood is nice, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.