2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have stated looking at medical schools to apply to this upcoming cycle and am interested in Case, but am curious if you guys know of other programs that have similar research focus like the CCMCL Program or other schools that encourage additions degrees? (I am not looking to do MD/PhD, but am very interested in continued research throughout my career).

I figured you guys would know best since you probably did similar research last year.

Thanks!

The Physician Scientist thread is usually a good resource for things like this. Here's a link to the FAQ, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=64282 check out post 4 for a few useful links. I think I saw another post on there with a list of alternative programs like CCLCM.

Also, what kind of research are you interested in doing, basic science, clinical, population level? Keep in mind these programs are updating and changing all the time and there are often informal options available to interested students as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Look for NIH M.S. in Clinical Investigation programs. These are funded masters that you complete during medical school that (from what I've heard) will give you good training. Case has one (available to UP and CP), Pitt, NYU, maybe Cincy, Northwestern ... I would search around on the NIH site to find a list of all the MSCI programs, and find the ones that will take medical students.

Alternatively you could do a funded research year (ie NIH CRTP, Doris Duke, Sarnoff) which you would be able to apply for from any medical school.

At least 5 on SDN alone last year, so I would double that (check out May 12ish in last years thread). However, last time that 2nd look was this popular was 2008 when they had almost zero waitlist movement until June esp. since they had overfilled the class.

I sincerely hope Im wrong, but I think its going to be a tough year for us "Hold"ers.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
USNews says 499/1108 interviewed were accepted last year. Assuming UP accepts 2X their class size (this is variable, it may be more), almost 200 were pulled for the waitlist.

Hoping for a good shot this year :xf:

USNews says 499/1108 interviewed were accepted last year. Assuming UP accepts 2X their class size (this is variable, it may be more), almost 200 were pulled for the waitlist.

Hoping for a good shot this year :xf:

Thx.

Does anyone know if there is a link to the 2012 Case or CCLCM match lists?

Anyone accepted to CCLCM and not going to go there?

For any current students. Are there any ipod/android apps that you have found especially useful to have during medical school? I just got an Ipod and I am downloading all sorts of cool stuff. :-D

Haha what a generous offer! Either pay for my tuition or a traffic ticket. I wouldn't want to put them in that situation ;)
:laugh:

1. Does anyone know if Case and CCLCM accept online credit for Biochemistry?
In the past CCLCM has accepted online biochem classes. I would double check with the admissions office to make sure that is still true though.

2. Does Biochemistry lab matter to admissions?
Not necessary for CCLCM.

Hey guys, I have stated looking at medical schools to apply to this upcoming cycle and am interested in Case, but am curious if you guys know of other programs that have similar research focus like the CCMCL Program or other schools that encourage additions degrees? (I am not looking to do MD/PhD, but am very interested in continued research throughout my career).
I have a post about this on my blog, or the suggestions that other people gave are good too.

For any current students. Are there any ipod/android apps that you have found especially useful to have during medical school? I just got an Ipod and I am downloading all sorts of cool stuff. :-D
You won't really need that kind of stuff as a pre-clinical student, but it's helpful to have some kind of drug app once you hit the wards. A lot of people like Epocrates.

Just posted the match list for Case/CCLCM: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=897848
It was an impressive match for us this year!

From a med school applicant's point of view, a great indicator of where a school can take you is its match list. Our match list speaks for itself.
It IS a great match list (and congrats to any c/o 2012 grads reading this). But you're misleading applicants to suggest that they can conclude much of anything from reading a med school's match list. I say this for several reasons. First, a student's individual effort matters a lot more than what med school they attended. The med school does not earn a high Step 1 score for you, and it does not guarantee that you get honors in your clerkships. (Or, for CCLCM, it doesn't guarantee great clinical evals.) Second, when you look at a match list, you have no idea how far people went down their match list, or even if they matched into the specialty they really wanted. So for example, if someone wanted to match into anesthesiology at Vanderbilt, and they wound up matching in internal medicine at BID (which is one of the Harvard hospitals), that would look great on a match list. However, it doesn't change the fact that they failed to match in anesthesiology, which is the specialty they actually wanted! Third, people self-select a lot. Someone might have wanted to do ortho, but if they didn't do well enough on Step 1, they might not even try applying in ortho at all, and just go for gen surg (which is much less competitive) instead. So again, they don't wind up in the specialty they really wanted.

What would be helpful is if match lists told you 1) how many people got into the specialty they actually wanted, and 2) how far down their rank lists people went. That's the info you really want to know, right? Unfortunately, you're never going to get that from reading a simple list of where a school's grads are going for residency. So my advice to pre-meds is that you not consider match lists AT ALL when deciding where to go to medical school. If you get into your state school and it's half the cost of all the private schools once you factor in financial aid, then save your money and go to the state school. Where you go from there is largely up to you, and not on where you went to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any students currently/previously living at The Triangle or Waldorf care to comment on the apartment buildings themselves/area/etc? I already know they are both costly, but close to campus. Just looking for more student insight! Thanks! :thumbup:

Also, that Match List for this year is extremely impressive. I know it's not a proper barometer of medical school quality, but it's still damn exciting that I'll be attending a medical school that places students in such excellent residency programs.

Last edited:
I'm at the Triangle. PM me, so I can tell you all about it when I get back in town.

UCI is having a few future housing opportunities meetings over the next few months. I'll see if I can drum up that email...

Any accepted applicants thinking about turning down the CCLCM program? I called and supposedly there has been no movement so far.

Any accepted applicants thinking about turning down the CCLCM program? I called and supposedly there has been no movement so far.

I am also curious. Beginning to worry that being on the alternate list is simply a state of pre-rejection... :scared:

I am also curious. Beginning to worry that being on the alternate list is simply a state of pre-rejection... :scared:

Guys calm down.

At least wait till April 15th for accepted peeps to make a decision.

Can someone please clarify the April 15th rule? Is it that every person can claim intention to enroll in only one school by April 15th?

Skip to 5:25. If Case ever switched to an MMI... !

[youtube]Nc2bTDoivyQ[/youtube]

It's not, don't worry!:luck:

You're going to anyway, but that's how things go for applicants this time of year. Good luck!:xf:

It's not, don't worry!:luck:

You're going to anyway, but that's how things go for applicants this time of year. Good luck!:xf:

Thanks, Myuu! and also thanks to CCLCMer, you helped me think more clearly about this process when I read your comments from 3/18 :thumbup:

....on a related note, I just made one of the more difficult decisions of my life: withdrew my acceptance for UP. It was a tough call, but it was the right thing for me. Hopefully, this will free up a spot for somebody else out there. Considering that I am waiting for waitlist movement, I am choosing to only hold one acceptance at a time.

Best of luck to all!! :luck:

Guys calm down.

At least wait till April 15th for accepted peeps to make a decision.

I think Case makes students choose by May 1st (according to the acceptance notification status):

MULTIPLE ACCEPTANCES: We are aware that many applicants will receive more than one acceptance, and understand that making a final decision regarding matriculation can be difficult, as many factors can impact the decision-making process. Our office is prepared to be as helpful to you as possible, and we ask that you not hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance in this regard. Our deadline for accepted applicants to decline other acceptance offers is Tuesday, May 1, 2012. Since our classes begin in July, the AAMC Recommendations for Medical Schools allows us to request an earlier notification date. Please review the AAMC Recommendations for Applicants to understand your responsibilities in this portion of the matriculation process. For those few individuals who continue to hold more than one acceptance after this date we reserve the right to withdraw our offer of acceptance. Please notify us immediately if extenuating circumstances become present with regards to this deadline.

From my letter, it seems like multiple acceptances must be withdrawn by the May 1st deadline, and not the April 15th deadline. Just a heads up to those still waiting to hear. Good luck to all! :luck::luck:

I think Case makes students choose by May 1st (according to the acceptance notification status):

MULTIPLE ACCEPTANCES: We are aware that many applicants will receive more than one acceptance, and understand that making a final decision regarding matriculation can be difficult, as many factors can impact the decision-making process. Our office is prepared to be as helpful to you as possible, and we ask that you not hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance in this regard. Our deadline for accepted applicants to decline other acceptance offers is Tuesday, May 1, 2012. Since our classes begin in July, the AAMC Recommendations for Medical Schools allows us to request an earlier notification date. Please review the AAMC Recommendations for Applicants to understand your responsibilities in this portion of the matriculation process. For those few individuals who continue to hold more than one acceptance after this date we reserve the right to withdraw our offer of acceptance. Please notify us immediately if extenuating circumstances become present with regards to this deadline.

From my letter, it seems like multiple acceptances must be withdrawn by the May 1st deadline, and not the April 15th deadline. Just a heads up to those still waiting to hear. Good luck to all! :luck::luck:

April 15th is for CCLCM. May 1st is only for UP.

Incredible 2012 CWRU Match List! :banana:

Attachments

• 2012 CWRU Match List.pdf
    98.6 KB · Views: 91
to those who wrote LOIs, I know you're suppose to send updated to Christian Essman but who did you address the letter to?

I'd do Dr. Mehta for UP. Dr. Franco for CP. Maybe mention the Admissions Committee as a whole too.

Good luck!

to those who wrote LOIs, I know you're suppose to send updated to Christian Essman but who did you address the letter to?

I addressed mine to both Dean Mehta and Mr. Essman, as well as sent it in to both of them. The hold letter says to send it to Mr. Essman, so you would be fine either way.

Anybody know how many people got into CCLCM off the alternate list in the past few years?

Do any current students have an idea about when UP holds can expect to hear news?

Probably April.

I feel like I've answered this question on every page for the last ten pages.:laugh:

Anybody know how many people got into CCLCM off the alternate list in the past few years?

vc7777 said 40 total admissions is about right, so 8 off the alternate list? I heard CCLCM admits 50-60 in total during interview day but I imagine it changes from year-to-year.

Since we don't know how many people are on the alternate list (could be 1/2 the interview pool or 100 candidates), it's not really worth stressing over. :rolleyes:

Can any current students comment on what you do to study for exams? How much you use the texts? If you use old tests, etc? I'm just curious. Also, I have read countless times that for most schools you do NOT need to buy all of the recommended texts; what are your views on that for the Case curriculum? Thanks for any pertinent input! :-D

I understand that the CCLCM students are required to put together formative and summative portfolios, but my UP interview day materials also say that UP students write a summative ePortfolio that they share with faculty reviewers. I don't remember any of the students that I met during my interview day talking about having to write reflective essays. I spoke with mostly 1st years, so this is probably why I didn't hear about it. Can any current UP students weigh in on the summative portfolios? In addition to your case based essay tests and other forms of assessment, do you also have to make a ePortfolio? Do you find it helpful for personal and professional development? Do you get meaningful feedback on the portfolio?

The website says that you submit 3 ePortfolios, one at the end of the 1st year, one at the end of the last pre-clinical block, and one in March of the 4th year. Do you think it is well integrated into the curriculum?

Also, can any current UP students provide some information about the Professional Learning Plan (PLP)? Can you talk about your personal experiences with it? Do you find it helpful? I found this on the website, but I didn't hear about this during my interview day either so I am not sure if it still exists.

Thanks in advance! I've been accepted to the UP, and I'm just trying to learn more about the program. Specifically whether these aspects of the program are genuinely helpful, or just annoyances. They seem like they could be helpful if they are well structured and closely mentored.

Does anyone know when the people on the alternate list for the CCLCM should hear?

For UP Holders:

In case you dont have twitter, they announced that they will hopefully be releasing alternate/not alternate decisions next week. :luck:

Can any current students comment on what you do to study for exams? How much you use the texts? If you use old tests, etc? I'm just curious. Also, I have read countless times that for most schools you do NOT need to buy all of the recommended texts; what are your views on that for the Case curriculum? Thanks for any pertinent input! :-D

I am a current 1st year student just popping in to say hi!
The most importantthing at Case to study for block exams are IQs, as they guide us toward what the professors want us to learn. The SEQs ( weekly quizzes which doesn't count for a grade but you have to do that are short answer format) is also important. We end up using a combination of lecture ppt and textbooks recommended from upperclassmen to do IQ research and study for exams. Everyone at Case is very generous, and any pdf of textbooks are shared in the class so I have access to every book I need. Also, many of the books you need is available online as Case buys the access rights. If you want a paper copy, they are always on reserve at the library , or you can buy them cheap from upperclassmen wanting to sell. I did end up buying some books off anazon but not much.

Overall, I love the case curriculum and hope many of you considering Case will join us next year!!!!

I am a current 1st year student just popping in to say hi!
The most importantthing at Case to study for block exams are IQs, as they guide us toward what the professors want us to learn. The SEQs ( weekly quizzes which doesn't count for a grade but you have to do that are short answer format) is also important. We end up using a combination of lecture ppt and textbooks recommended from upperclassmen to do IQ research and study for exams. Everyone at Case is very generous, and any pdf of textbooks are shared in the class so I have access to every book I need. Also, many of the books you need is available online as Case buys the access rights. If you want a paper copy, they are always on reserve at the library , or you can buy them cheap from upperclassmen wanting to sell. I did end up buying some books off anazon but not much.

Overall, I love the case curriculum and hope many of you considering Case will join us next year!!!!

Awesome! I am very excited to start. I'm going to enjoy these next few months of free time. I always have to fight the urge to pre-study since I've been out of school for nearly 2 years, but I am NOT gonna do it! :-D I'm sure I'll be glad once I am stuck in the books and want a break. Thanks for your input. It is wonderful to be able to learn medicine with such a great curriculum. Thanks again.

Does anyone know when we can expect to get our financial aid packages? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Does anyone know when we can expect to get our financial aid packages? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

I just called the financial aid office and they said that on or before the May 15th deadline. She said if our applications were on time then we will probably hear earlier even, possibly the beginning of May.

I just called the financial aid office and they said that on or before the May 15th deadline. She said if our applications were on time then we will probably hear earlier even, possibly the beginning of May.

But our deadline to release multiple acceptances for Case is May 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.