2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have 24/7 access to that beautiful study lounge!? :woot::woot:Yes! I know the medical school library has definite hours, but that is wonderful news! I can't study in my living quarters very well, and I love getting comfy in a nice study area. Does it stay relatively quiet in that area at night?

Once the dental students leave? Yes. They apparently have no idea that you are forbidden to produce even bodily noises without penalty.

エディット:トップ

item-079-i.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

The running options here are surprisingly numerous.There are a lot of great places to run around Case, though I would be a bit scared if my wife ran to many of them alone. Nice, safe places include Shaker Lakes (there is a system of trails that runs between North Park and Fairhill as well which is fantastic, and very lightly traveled), and the towpath (which is a bit of a drive). Running Shaker Blvd or Woodland are also good options. The cemetery is ok, but short. From campus, you can run MLK to the lake and then run up the frontage road to the Rock Hall (though this can be a bit scary on MLK, depending on the time of day you run it- and there were a pack of wild dogs that would chase people here about 3 years ago). Same deal for Forest Hill Park- nice with a group of people but not too safe for a single female, also supposedly has wild dogs. If you go out of town a bit, there are some amazing trails on the east side of town (North/South Chagrin, Case farm, West Woods, Chapin Forest). There is also a group that meets at Case track on Tuesdays to do speed workouts from April-November.

Once the dental students leave? Yes. They apparently have no idea that you are forbidden to produce even bodily noises without penalty.

The dental students get to use it? :mad: What if I don't want to share! ha jk. I get seriously PO'ed if people are loud around my study area. You could say I get a bit territorial.

Members don't see this ad :)
The running options here are surprisingly numerous.There are a lot of great places to run around Case, though I would be a bit scared if my wife ran to many of them alone. Nice, safe places include Shaker Lakes (there is a system of trails that runs between North Park and Fairhill as well which is fantastic, and very lightly traveled), and the towpath (which is a bit of a drive). Running Shaker Blvd or Woodland are also good options. The cemetery is ok, but short. From campus, you can run MLK to the lake and then run up the frontage road to the Rock Hall (though this can be a bit scary on MLK, depending on the time of day you run it- and there were a pack of wild dogs that would chase people here about 3 years ago). Same deal for Forest Hill Park- nice with a group of people but not too safe for a single female, also supposedly has wild dogs. If you go out of town a bit, there are some amazing trails on the east side of town (North/South Chagrin, Case farm, West Woods, Chapin Forest). There is also a group that meets at Case track on Tuesdays to do speed workouts from April-November.

How about places up/around Overlook? The neighborhoods up there, while not trails or parks, seem very nice and safe.

How about places up/around Overlook? The neighborhoods up there, while not trails or parks, seem very nice and safe.

Yeah, that area is safe as well for the most part. There is just less distance to be covered there. When I had to run early in the morning before rotations 3rd year, I would always run the neighborhoods around Overlook/Edgehill out to Cottage Grove and never had any problems.

Yeah, that area is safe as well for the most part. There is just less distance to be covered there. When I had to run early in the morning before rotations 3rd year, I would always run the neighborhoods around Overlook/Edgehill out to Cottage Grove and never had any problems.

Thanks for your insight!

Awesome, sounds like there are many options. I think it'd be safest for her to become part of a running group or something since at any hour of the day I'd be worried with her running by herself. As for me I think I'll find some OK areas and maybe run with some people like you mentioned at the track or elsewhere.

I called yesterday regarding CCLCM. I was told that no one so far has dropped their spot. Does that mean that thats it for alternate people? April 16th already passed.

Last edited:
I called yesterday regarding CCLCM. I was told that no one so far has dropped their spot. Does that mean that thats it for alternate people? April 16th already passed.

Just relax. Just wait until early May. Maybe people have been granted an extra week or two to decide. Who knows.
At this point, there's nothing more we can do.

i'm sure a lot of people are still waiting on waitlists for other schools, so I wouldn't start worrying until May 15.

The dental students get to use it? :mad: What if I don't want to share! ha jk. I get seriously PO'ed if people are loud around my study area. You could say I get a bit territorial.

Have pity on them, for they have no lounges or good study areas.

Breathe.

Any news about openings for college track :)?
No.
nope, no phone calls or anything.
Nope.
Any ideas on the timeline for notification off the alternate list for CCLCM?
No
Didn't keep up with them...I hope we hear back soon!
Unknown.
Someone could always call the admissions office...I would, but excuse.
Hmmm.
So, IMO, the chances of anyone on the alternate list hearing today are slim.
Not true. Plenty of people are accepted to other programs after the deadline and there is almost always movement.
You can cut the neurosis in here regarding CCLCM with a knife.
Indeed.
Any news regarding CCLCM? This time last year a few people who got in off the alternate list posted.
No.
If people have news they want to share, they'll post it.
True.
This is correct. In addition, accepted people sometimes get extensions for a week or two so that they can attend second looks at other schools before making a final decision. I wouldn't count on hearing much before the end of this month.
True.
This. Seriously.
+3
...I guess we just wait this out...
Si.
Y u no tell me what's going on for alternates???
:slap:<-- what's wrong with you?
Dear. lord.
Indeed.
...... Does that mean that thats [sic] it for alternate people?
No.
April 16th already passed.
True.
Just relax. Just wait until early May. Maybe people have been granted an extra week or two to decide. Who knows.
At this point, there's nothing more we can do.
All good ideas
i'm sure a lot of people are still waiting on waitlists for other schools, so I wouldn't start worrying until May 15.
True.
Yes.

End Transmission.

Members don't see this ad :)
For shame vc7777, you forgot to include a relevant STEP fact in your last post.

Perhaps some physiology or drug relating to stress would be suitable? :)

For shame vc7777, you forgot to include a relevant STEP fact in your last post.

Perhaps some physiology or drug relating to stress would be suitable? :)

I was thinking more inhalational anesthetics...:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Good point Samwise Gamgee..

My brothers actually still call me this.

On another unrelated note, I've lost 17 pounds so far working out and eating healthier! I love spring!

Last edited:
This may be a silly question, but how formal or otherwise do most students dress to class/IQ sessions? I know we're professional students, but I assume most still dress in casual jeans, t-shirts, etc. I'm just curious what the latest fashion trends in med students are :D haha.

This may be a silly question, but how formal or otherwise do most students dress to class/IQ sessions? I know we're professional students, but I assume most still dress in casual jeans, t-shirts, etc. I'm just curious what the latest fashion trends in med students are :D haha.

Just don't show up in pajamas and you'll be fine.

My brothers actually still call me this.

On another unrelated note, I've lost 17 pounds so far working out and eating healthier! I love spring!

17 pounds for me too! :highfive: Eating healthy and working out makes me feel so much better. Congrats!

PHN - did you see Abraham Verghese when he was in town a few weeks ago? I was out of the country presenting research. :(

No :(. I had something or another and couldn't go. I'm almost done with Cutting for Stone, and it's making me more sad that I couldn't see him!

Though, I was able to go to go to Dr. Jerome Groopman's lecture at Severance. Did you catch that? It was alright.

Do you guys find Groopman's "How Doctor's Think" to be at odds with Gawande's "Checklist Manifesto?"

I really like Groopman's message of not taking the humanity out of a doctor's decision making process. He seems to warn against pure statistics-based diagnosis or behavior while Gawande spends an entire book justifying its importance.

I also wasn't a fan of Gawande's opinion on Doctor's in the Death Chamber in his book, "Better." I dislike the idea of the AMA mandating ethical codes to individual doctors (or anyone for that matter). I'd prefer each doctor publish a mission statement of their moral codes and then patients pick and choose which doctor they visit based on those beliefs.

Do you guys find Groopman's "How Doctor's Think" to be at odds with Gawande's "Checklist Manifesto?"

I really like Groopman's message of not taking the humanity out of a doctor's decision making process. He seems to warn against pure statistics-based diagnosis or behavior while Gawande spends an entire book justifying its importance.

I also wasn't a fan of Gawande's opinion on Doctor's in the Death Chamber in his book, "Better." I dislike the idea of the AMA mandating ethical codes to individual doctors (or anyone for that matter). I'd prefer each doctor publish a mission statement of their moral codes and then patients pick and choose which doctor they visit based on those beliefs.

+1 I have no idea who you are all discussing, but I abhorrently despise "one-size fits all" medicine. If it is concluded that statistics should dictate how doctors treat patients, then it redefines in a poor way what role physicians (if you could even call them that at this point) play in society.

So, I have it in my mind that Case wants a decision from us by May 1st, instead of May 15th (you know, just holding one spot, etc...). Unfortunately I cannot remember where I got this idea from, and the admissions people at another institution told me that this cannot possibly be.

Is this an urban myth?

So, I have it in my mind that Case wants a decision from us by May 1st, instead of May 15th (you know, just holding one spot, etc...). Unfortunately I cannot remember where I got this idea from, and the admissions people at another institution told me that this cannot possibly be.

Is this an urban myth?

After you acknowledge your acceptance to CWRU, if you click on the link acknowledging your acceptance, they have a technical standards, revisit weekend, etc information. Listed on that is multiple acceptances:
MULTIPLE ACCEPTANCES: We are aware that many applicants will receive more than one acceptance, and understand that making a final decision regarding matriculation can be difficult, as many factors can impact the decision-making process. Our office is prepared to be as helpful to you as possible, and we ask that you not hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance in this regard. Our deadline for accepted applicants to decline other acceptance offers is Tuesday, May 1, 2012. Since our classes begin in July, the AAMC Recommendations for Medical Schools allows us to request an earlier notification date. Please review the AAMC Recommendations for Applicants to understand your responsibilities in this portion of the matriculation process. For those few individuals who continue to hold more than one acceptance after this date we reserve the right to withdraw our offer of acceptance. Please notify us immediately if extenuating circumstances become present with regards to this deadline.

Also, Case is allowed to make applicants choose by May 1st because school starts before July 30th

(AAMC Website)
9. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program choose the specific school or program at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools or programs from which acceptance offers have been received.

The AMA is an interest group and as such has no enforcement capabilities. Maybe a month ago I flipped through a comic book where a doctor says "The AMA doesn't allow..." and just about died laughing.

Is this an urban myth?

That is not an urban myth. However, if you are waiting on financial aid decisions from other schools (or other similarly legitimate reasons), contact admissions and they can work something out for you.

Prepping for second look performance (among other things).

Bummed I can't be there! Hope it goes wonderfully!

Last edited:
Hey all! Has anyone who applied for a scholarship this cycle heard back yet?

Random question: are there any IMAX theaters that play non-science museum movies in/near Cleveland?

Random question: are there any IMAX theaters that play non-science museum movies in/near Cleveland?

Man, you won't have anything left to discover when you get here lol. And yes, there's two. One downtown at the Great Lakes Science Center (about a 15-20 minute drive from campus) and one in Crocker Park, which is a nice outdoorsy shopping center (about 25 minutes away)

Man, you won't have anything left to discover when you get here lol. And yes, there's two. One downtown at the Great Lakes Science Center (about a 15-20 minute drive from campus) and one in Crocker Park, which is a nice outdoorsy shopping center (about 25 minutes away)

Hahaha thanks! I just need to make sure there will be an IMAX within reach when Catching Fire comes out ha. Oh, and the last Dark Knight movie! :)

Anybody on here going to be living at/adjacent to Lewis Manor up on Overlook?

Last edited:
Second Look weekend was fantastic. A big thanks to everyone on here who helped put it on!

Were both the Case UP and the CCLCM CP second look this past weekend?

Does anyone know if merit scholarship displaces need-based scholarship or does it displaces loans?

Could any current UP students comment on what the Becoming a Doctor block is like. It mentions professionalism, population health, intro to medical anatomy, bioethics, etc. Is this block similar in difficulty/time commitment to the other blocks? I'm just curious since it sounds like it's meant to ease us into medical school and the profession and therefore may be a little less demanding than the others; however, that may be inaccurate.

Last edited:
Could any current UP students comment on what the Becoming a Doctor block is like. It mentions professionalism, population health, intro to medical anatomy, bioethics, etc. Is this block similar in difficulty/time commitment to the other blocks? I'm just curious since it sounds like it's meant to ease us into medical school and the profession and therefore may be a little less demanding than the others; however, that may be inaccurate.

Definitely meant to ease you into med school. The content is more focused on introducing you to terms, epidemiology, statistics, etc. that you will need for the rest of your career. The time commitment is significantly less than the other blocks, but that just means there is more time to adjust to a new city and a new group of peers (whom you will soon rely on).

Anyone know where CCLCM is with the alternate list? If anyone gave up their spot?....hate this waiting game. Hopefully it's worth it :)

Anybody interested in going to see Iron Maiden in Detroit on July 18th? :horns::smuggrin::horns:

So will the UP Alternate List start moving after May 1st? Anyone know from previous years?

Status
Not open for further replies.