2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know whether GW would consider a research publication as an academic accomplishment?

I would definitely consider that academic. Research, in general, is academic. As for what GW thinks, who knows? I honestly don't think this question is all that important, so probably just use your best judgment.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with illinois2012. You should choose the experience which meant the most to you because your writing will sound fresh and genuine. I wrote about something that was already on my primary (just went more in-depth with it) and I got an interview. Not saying this essay sealed the deal, but I know it didn't hurt.

Thanks for the input. It was really between #1 and #3 for me and I went with #1 just because I talked about #3 so much on my primary and I don't want to repeat too much stuff. Mailing out today tomorrow once the post office opens :thumbup:

anyone knows if I can submit my secondary even without verification? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know how long it takes to process secondaries for GW? They probably should have received mine ~1 week ago

I think your fine, I'm submitting tonight and received it on the 20th as well. It's still early in the season, and I think schools with a hard deadline will have it stated in the secondary instructions, such as "the deadline to complete the secondary is 30 calendar days."

I agree- I think the 2 week rule is simply a guideline. I'm submitting mine tomorrow and I received mine on the 17th, it's hard trying to walk that fine line between submitting it in a timely manner and submitting quality essays...:confused:

Put on hold... Dangit! Really hoping for some love from GW.

Sent AMCAS on 07JUL, received reply electronically 11JUL. Check the SPAM box!

Put on hold... Dangit! Really hoping for some love from GW.

By the way they are super fast. I was complete Friday, on hold /rereview today. Hopefully I still have a shot at an interview! :(

Do I have to print out this secondary from their website and PHYSICALLY write out my answers in ink on this stupid paper? SERIOUSLY???

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have to print out this secondary from their website and PHYSICALLY write out my answers in ink on this stupid paper? SERIOUSLY???

No, not seriously - you can type write on the web page and print it out after. Just click on a line and a cursor will appear for you to be able to type.

No, not seriously - you can type write on the web page and print it out after. Just click on a line and a cursor will appear for you to be able to type.

But still they expect the responses to be on that form? I am regretting applying to such archaic medical schools...

But still they expect the responses to be on that form? I am regretting applying to such archaic medical schools...

I know it's an absurd process. Just type your answers on the pdf and fax / scan it to admissions. It's faster than mailing it.

In their defense, they're prompt in their evaluation and you should hear about your status within a days (e.g. hold vs. interview)

Does anyone know anything about the research opportunities at GW med?

Can someone explain how to put your signature in? Do you need to hand-sign it? There doesn't seem to be anyway to write it, anyway.

Is it basically:

1. Print it
2. Hand sign it
3. Scan it
4. E-mail it?

Or is there any way to eliminate the whole scanning/hand-signing thing. Thanks!

Can someone explain how to put your signature in? Do you need to hand-sign it? There doesn't seem to be anyway to write it, anyway.

Is it basically:

1. Print it
2. Hand sign it
3. Scan it
4. E-mail it?

Or is there any way to eliminate the whole scanning/hand-signing thing. Thanks!

Those are the steps. Their instructions state as much.

For the first question..I don't really want to elaborate too much on those activities mentioned in the primary..would having a passion for movie collection be considered an achievement?

For the first question..I don't really want to elaborate too much on those activities mentioned in the primary..would having a passion for movie collection be considered an achievement?

What did you achieve?

In the re-review pool too. Completed on 6/23. From what I gather from last year's applicants, most in the re-review group received rejection letters in October and November. I'm going to chalk this one up as a no go and move on.

fyi to to all....you can reschedule interview dates if need be without much problem with this school.

Based on the super-fast turnaround, I'm starting to wonder how thoroughly admissions is really reviewing our files. I think this is the fastest school out of any allo program in the nation. I wonder if they put a lot of weight on a screen based on GPA/MCAT between upper and lower limits.

Either way, congrats to those who have received interview invites! Best of luck to all others.

Gah on hold again, basically just a repeat of last year.

Based on the super-fast turnaround, I'm starting to wonder how thoroughly admissions is really reviewing our files. I think this is the fastest school out of any allo program in the nation. I wonder if they put a lot of weight on a screen based on GPA/MCAT between upper and lower limits.

Either way, congrats to those who have received interview invites! Best of luck to all others.

I've been complete since 6/29 and still no word. I think a lot of folks are in the same boat. A bunch of folks have been complete for a couple weeks with no status change.

Hey guys/gals! Hopping aboard this thread as I just submitted my primary last night and received secondary email this morning.

Would an achievement in 2006 be considered too long ago? I don't remember seeing a "timeframe" for this question.

Thanks for your input!

So I checked my status on their website and it says everything has been received, but I never got a confirmation email after I sent the secondary 3 weeks ago.

Idk how you guys have heard so quickly, I've been complete for over a week and it still says the same thing on my status site

Idk how you guys have heard so quickly, I've been complete for over a week and it still says the same thing on my status site

That's probably better than being put on immediate re-review to be honest.

Is anyone interviewing september 1st that would like to talk about splitting a hotel for the time there?... Kind of broke ha

Is anyone interviewing september 1st that would like to talk about splitting a hotel for the time there?... Kind of broke ha

Dude, you already paid $155 to apply to GW, you can't pay another $60 haha?

Hey guys/gals! Hopping aboard this thread as I just submitted my primary last night and received secondary email this morning.

Would an achievement in 2006 be considered too long ago? I don't remember seeing a "timeframe" for this question.

Thanks for your input!

I don't really think they care about when it happened. Just make sure it's something that catches their eye!

Dude, you already paid $155 to apply to GW, you can't pay another $60 haha?

So because I could afford a secondary I have infinite funds? ha cheapest thing I am finding in walking distance is over a 100/night and I will prob have to stay 2 nights.... Figured it was worth a shot lol. Maybe Barak will put me up for the night...

So because I could afford a secondary I have infinite funds? ha cheapest thing I am finding in walking distance is over a 100/night and I will prob have to stay 2 nights.... Figured it was worth a shot lol. Maybe Barak will put me up for the night...

i know they receive 10k+ apps but i still feel like they should look at them before placing them in the automatic hold pool especially since we paid $155, most out of any school so far

Last edited:
Why does this school get such an ungodly amount of applicants? I think it may have the most applicants of every school in the MSAR! Anyone care to hypothesize? Thanks!

Why does this school get such an ungodly amount of applicants? I think it may have the most applicants of every school in the MSAR! Anyone care to hypothesize? Thanks!

I think its because their stats of acceptance is the average range. For the people with low stats, its a target/reach, for people with average stats, its a target, and for people with good stats, its a safety/target. In the end, it turns out on everyone's list

I think its because their stats of acceptance is the average range. For the people with low stats, its a target/reach, for people with average stats, its a target, and for people with good stats, its a safety/target. In the end, it turns out on everyone's list

This coupled with the fact that GW is an extremely OOS friendly school (170 of 177 students last cycle were OOS) this encourages applicants from all around the US to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.