2011-2012 UC Berkeley - UCSF Joint Medical Program Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerbiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those interested in the 5-year MD/MS program offered through UC Berkeley and UCSF, otherwise known as the Joint Medical Program!

While this program is technically part of the UCSF application process, it is sufficiently different (and goes through a different admissions review system) that I think it deserves it own thread.

Basically, the JMP is a cohort of 16 UCSF students that spends the first three years at Berkeley: students have a 100% case-based preclinical medical curriculum with an emphasis in clinical skills experience. Additionally, students also take classes in a variety of graduate departments and write a thesis towards the completion of an M.S. degree in Health and Medical Sciences. The subject of the thesis is completely up to the student, and can be in any field related to health - from biomedical/basic sciences, to medical anthropology, or health policy/econ to give a few examples.

After graduating with the M.S. from Berkeley, students transfer to UCSF to complete their last two clinical years with the regular M.D. class.

More info below at the Berkeley and UCSF sites below:

http://jmp.berkeley.edu/
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/degrees/curriculum.aspx#mdms

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how many people end applying to this program? I've never heard of it before and nobody seems to talk about it. It sounds like a great program but it doesn't seem to be very popular.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to put up a rough timeline of the JMP application process. I received an invitation to interview last Friday (12/23/11) and was told by Maria Rita that they have been interviewing for a while now and that I'm one of the last to be interviewed.

If anyone's already interviewed I'd love to hear about your experience!

Any news? I was placed on the alternate list - interviewed in November. Are the chances of coming off the list high?

Any news? I was placed on the alternate list - interviewed in November. Are the chances of coming off the list high?

Accepted back in December, interviewed November. Officially enrolled yesterday :)

Congrats mrgadfly! I'm interviewing this week and I heard that interviews go at least until the end of February from a UCSF student who's hosting interviewees. Any advice for those of us still in the application process?

Congrats mrgadfly! I'm interviewing this week and I heard that interviews go at least until the end of February from a UCSF student who's hosting interviewees. Any advice for those of us still in the application process?
Got your PM, check your inbox :)

Hey everyone! I am currently on the alternate list. I think the class must be full by now. Has anyone on the alternate list been accepted yet?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.