2011-2012 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pick up an MSAR, it'll do you wonders.

Members don't see this ad.

pick up an MSAR, it'll do you wonders.

Hiya, thanks for the response.

I have the book copy of the MSAR as well as online access to their database. The book has nothing on matriculant GPA/MCAT data for each school that I can see (unless I'm missing it?). The online access gives you 10th percentile and 90th percentile for GPA/MCAT at each school but as a reputable SDNer told me, that MSAR data is for accepted students, while the LizzyM data in the spreadsheet is for matriculated students. She told me that accepted student GPA/MCAT is always higher than matriculated student GPA/MCAT, and this makes sense to me.

I'm not allowed to share the exact online MSAR data because that would violate the terms of service, but for Buffalo, for example, if I take the mathematical avg of the 10th and 90th percentile for accepted students then it is significantly higher(I'm talking at least 3 points) than the matriculant avg given in the spreadsheet. All I really want to do is get a rough idea of whether the average Buffalo medical student still only has a 29 on the MCAT. That would be great news if so, but I seriously doubt it.

Hiya, thanks for the response.

I have the book copy of the MSAR as well as online access to their database. The book has nothing on matriculant GPA/MCAT data for each school that I can see (unless I'm missing it?). The online access gives you 10th percentile and 90th percentile for GPA/MCAT at each school but as a reputable SDNer told me, that MSAR data is for accepted students, while the LizzyM data in the spreadsheet is for matriculated students. She told me that accepted student GPA/MCAT is always higher than matriculated student GPA/MCAT, and this makes sense to me.

I'm not allowed to share the exact online MSAR data because that would violate the terms of service, but for Buffalo, for example, if I take the mathematical avg of the 10th and 90th percentile for accepted students then it is significantly higher(I'm talking at least 3 points) than the matriculant avg given in the spreadsheet. All I really want to do is get a rough idea of whether the average Buffalo medical student still only has a 29 on the MCAT. That would be great news if so, but I seriously doubt it.

Ah..not quite the case...my class (2014) had an average of 32 and I believe the class of 2015 had an average of 33. But having said that, UB has accepted people with an MCAT score as low as 26 and as high as 39. There is more to the application than just the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah..not quite the case...my class (2014) had an average of 32 and I believe the class of 2015 had an average of 33. But having said that, UB has accepted people with an MCAT score as low as 26 and as high as 39. There is more to the application than just the MCAT.

Thanks so much for the response. You're a great person to ask this to because you're a current student and seem to be in the know about the data (are you a student member of the ad-com?): any idea of the lowest cGPA they've accepted? I don't think the MCAT is gonna be a problem in my case based on recent practice scores and the fact that the test is a couple months away, but my cGPA is between 3.3 and 3.4 (upward trend) and BCPM near 3.7. Could they overlook it with a 35+ MCAT? I am not a URM, but I am an NY resident (wouldn't even bother applying with my cGPA if I was OOS). Also, is it true that rolling admissions doesn't matter much at Buffalo compared to other schools because they take such a large percentage of their class off the waitlist? So being complete end of August or early September wouldn't hurt as much at Buffalo like it would at the other 3 SUNYs? Thanks so much, and while it's true that there's more to the application than the MCAT, I think the score certainly matters a lot more to my app than it does to other people's. :)

Thanks so much for the response. You're a great person to ask this to because you're a current student and seem to be in the know about the data (are you a student member of the ad-com?): any idea of the lowest cGPA they've accepted? I don't think the MCAT is gonna be a problem in my case based on recent practice scores and the fact that the test is a couple months away, but my cGPA is between 3.3 and 3.4 (upward trend) and BCPM near 3.7. Could they overlook it with a 35+ MCAT? I am not a URM, but I am an NY resident (wouldn't even bother applying with my cGPA if I was OOS). Also, is it true that rolling admissions doesn't matter much at Buffalo compared to other schools because they take such a large percentage of their class off the waitlist? So being complete end of August or early September wouldn't hurt as much at Buffalo like it would at the other 3 SUNYs? Thanks so much, and while it's true that there's more to the application than the MCAT, I think the score certainly matters a lot more to my app than it does to other people's. :)

No I was not a member of the admissions committee but I know a couple of people in class who were. They did mention the fact that the adcom does not like to see any individual score on the MCAT of < 7 (although there are no cutoff's). The great thing about the adcom at UB is that they READ everyone's application and so there have been instances when they have given a nod to people with below average MCAT and GPA.

In your case, an MCAT score of 34+ would help your chances based on your cGPA. Anything less than that would make it harder for you to get into this particular school. Since UB is a heavyweight research hub, they LIKE to invite people who have done some basic science research and/or have publications. If that is something you have in your application, it'll take you a long way.

Lastly, the general consensus is, although no one is entirely sure, that time is not a factor at UB. I was complete at the end of June 2009, got my invite in March 2010 and was straightaway accepted the next day (not waitlisted).

So basically aim for a decent MCAT score and try to do some research if you haven't done already. I am sure there are others on this forum who would be better able to guide you.

Just got accepted this morning top 1/3!!!! Did not get an e-mail yet just happened to check the status page.

I have officially decided on Buffalo. I chose it over VCU and albany medical college. Im SUPER excited!

That is average "accepted" not matriculates- most schools just use the MSAR data for white coat/school & class profiles.

Accepted off the waitlist today. Middle third. Yay!!! Happy Pichu!!!

Just got accepted! I am going to withdraw, I hope it brings luck to one of you!

Interviewed 03/28; Middle Third

Last edited:
Hey there guys, I just got the acceptance call about an hour ago! However, I withdrew from the offer. Hope one of you gets the spot. I was also in the middle third.

Got my call yesterday, I was in the middle third. :)

any acceptance off bottom third yet?

I got the email saying their class was full a couple of weeks ago. Any one else get it?

I just received an acceptance to another school. I am going to withdraw from Buffalo. Good luck to all of you. I hope one of you gets it

Status
Not open for further replies.