2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats!! Are you going to matriculate here then?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! Well, I am still waiting to hear from OHSU, but I am fairly certain that I will be accepting this over any other option.

You got a phonecall? Is that typical? ahhhhhhhhh nervous now! Congrats to you though!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You got a phonecall? Is that typical? ahhhhhhhhh nervous now! Congrats to you though!!
Thank you, I really appreciate it. Dr. Hansen said that they normally don't call, but since it's getting fairly late in the cycle, they are going to call some (or all, he didn't really specify) applicants since snail mail can take a while. Ill keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Psh, awesome coffee shops are to be found on willy street and a few on state street. Any coffee shop on campus is going to over-charge you for a poorly made cup o' joe.

Drizz, have you ever heard of plans to bring the anatomy lab over to the HSLC?

They were talking about having it in the CSC near the cafeteria but I don't think that's ever materialized. Maybe moving the nursing school will open up room for it there by the HSLC.

It would be nice to get an extended review...to... waitlist count....

So if you have gone from extended review to the waitlist go ahead and post a quick...
...ER to WL # (number in the count, not hash tag lol)

(or if someone more savvy with SDN has an easier way to do this???.... maybe a poll???)

Congrats to those accepted!!! I was accepted on Monday! OOS

For those waiting I hope you get good news from this or another med school. And best of luck to those who haven't been accepted to any medical school. Your hard work will pay off one way or another.

I think that's a great idea, but we'd have to make sure to differentiate between IS and OOS.

So if you have gone from extended review to the waitlist go ahead and post a quick...

(or if someone more savvy with SDN has an easier way to do this???.... maybe a poll???)
i don't think they've ranked the waitlist yet, unless they rank it separately from those who were previously extended review now wait list (which would be strange. because then there would be two wait lists. but since this process seems to be magic half the time anyway, maybe there are...)

i don't think they've ranked the waitlist yet, unless they rank it separately from those who were previously extended review now wait list (which would be strange. because then there would be two wait lists. but since this process seems to be magic half the time anyway, maybe there are...)
called admissions today- was told the rankings should be out by mid april! the way things have been going for me this cycle I expect to be about #31 on the IS waitlist... knowing that typically about 30 ppl get off.

In the meantime, any IS people waitlisted who are planning to withdraw??? just wondering ;)

I'm a WARM applicant, but I recently was placed on the alternate/wait list and am #4. Good luck to all!

Quick question for any current UWSMPH students or anyone who might know the school's academic calendar. I recently got engaged and we are looking to be married sometime in the spring of 2013. Does anyone know the exact dates of when the MS1's have a week long break during the spring of 2013? Maybe a link, so I can see the calendar myself or even a point of contact that I may call and ask. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question for any current UWSMPH students or anyone who might know the school's academic calendar. I recently got engaged and we are looking to be married sometime in the spring of 2013. Does anyone know the exact dates of when the MS1's have a week long break during the spring of 2013? Maybe a link, so I can see the calendar myself or even a point of contact that I may call and ask. Thanks in advance!

The university's spring break is March 23-31.
http://www.secfac.wisc.edu/acadcal/ChooseSemester.asp

I believe the MD program follows the same schedule.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out your exact ranking? Do WARM applicants just get awesome perks like that?
I emailed the assistant director of the WARM program who has been the contact person throughout the application process. I think the fact that WARM applicants are ranked already is a reflection of the small size of the program which results in some awesome perks :) There were only 51 people interviewed for WARM and 25 offers made so far (to the best of my knowledge).

I emailed the assistant director of the WARM program who has been the contact person throughout the application process. I think the fact that WARM applicants are ranked already is a reflection of the small size of the program which results in some awesome perks :) There were only 51 people interviewed for WARM and 25 offers made so far (to the best of my knowledge).

I thought there were a set number of spots in the class for WARM students. Is 25 it? Also, since you are a WARM applicant, I'm assuming you're 4th on the WARM waitlist? As I understand it, the waitlist rankings havent even been set yet for the regular MD program.

I was wondering about the WARM wait list as well. I know that WARM applicants can choose to be considered for the regular MD class; if they aren't accepted into WARM. Therefore I would expect them to be on the same wait list as everyone else. And if a accepted WARM student turns down the acceptance the highest WARM applicant on the list gets it.

I was wondering about the WARM wait list as well. I know that WARM applicants can choose to be considered for the regular MD class; if they aren't accepted into WARM. Therefore I would expect them to be on the same wait list as everyone else. And if a accepted WARM student turns down the acceptance the highest WARM applicant on the list gets it.
As far as I know WARM applicants are only considered for the regular MD class only after they have been completely excluded from consideration for the WARM program (ie. applicants on extended review or wait list are not forwarded on to the the regular class admissions committee). I know that my wait list # is only with regards to the WARM alternate list, and that last year they only went to #3 on the WARM alternate list. Technically once you are on a wait list I'm pretty sure you are on that list until classes begin in Aug. since accepted students can, and do, change their minds right up until classes actually start, and I don't think you can be on more than one list. Personally have not heard anything with regards to my application being reviewed by the review committee for the regular class. I'm pretty sure the situation is very analogous to IS vs OOS applicants in that applicants are review by separate committees and ranked on independent lists.

UW doesn't yield protect (for either IS or OOS). Our yields for OOS are quite low and we offer a ton of IS acceptances and realize a lot of them won't come here. The people who're accepted immediately are accepted because we feel they're a good fit for our school. There is more than stats that goes into admissions. After recent events, UW is weighing character and perceived clinical potential more heavily than in the recent past. That being said, we have accepted and will continue to accept many high stat applicants, especially IS ones.

From Wiki: "Yield protection is an alleged admissions practice where a university or academic institution rejects or wait-lists highly qualified students on the grounds that such students are bound to be accepted by more prestigious universities or programs."

Basically, it would mean they're trying to get a better matriculated:accepted ratio. I wouldn't doubt this as I know a few IS people with high stats (3.8+/35+) that have been waitlisted at UW this year. Oddly, I also know a few IS applicants with mediocre ECs and roughly 3.6/31 stats who were accepted outright. Unfortunately for some of the "shoo ins", they haven't been accepted to the likes of Yale and WashU and are now waiting on their state school. UW is a very good state school, don't get me wrong, but it probably isn't in the program's best interests to risk losing such strong IS applicants to other schools for a higher yield. If that really is what's happening, then the whole thing is pretty messed up, IMO.

From Wiki: "Yield protection is an alleged admissions practice where a university or academic institution rejects or wait-lists highly qualified students on the grounds that such students are bound to be accepted by more prestigious universities or programs."

Basically, it would mean they're trying to get a better matriculated:accepted ratio. I wouldn't doubt this as I know a few IS people with high stats (3.8+/35+) that have been waitlisted at UW this year. Oddly, I also know a few IS applicants with mediocre ECs and roughly 3.6/31 stats who were accepted outright. Unfortunately for some of the "shoo ins", they haven't been accepted to the likes of Yale and WashU and are now waiting on their state school. UW is a very good state school, don't get me wrong, but it probably isn't in the program's best interests to risk losing such strong IS applicants to other schools for a higher yield. If that really is what's happening, then the whole thing is pretty messed up, IMO.
I dont think this is true at all. med school application process is the epitome of a holistic review. a perfect mcat score is no guarantee of anything unless you have the communication skills and prior real-world experiences to back it up. There truly is no such thing as a "sure thing."

As far as I know WARM applicants are only considered for the regular MD class only after they have been completely excluded from consideration for the WARM program (ie. applicants on extended review or wait list are not forwarded on to the the regular class admissions committee). I know that my wait list # is only with regards to the WARM alternate list, and that last year they only went to #3 on the WARM alternate list. Technically once you are on a wait list I'm pretty sure you are on that list until classes begin in Aug. since accepted students can, and do, change their minds right up until classes actually start, and I don't think you can be on more than one list. Personally have not heard anything with regards to my application being reviewed by the review committee for the regular class. I'm pretty sure the situation is very analogous to IS vs OOS applicants in that applicants are review by separate committees and ranked on independent lists.

Yeah, this would make sense. I suppose there are different requirements regarding WARM applicants. Nonetheless I wish you the best of luck. Maybe they will be handing out more acceptances in hopes of growing the program; which appears to be the case in years past.

I just got waitlisted via snailmail. I interviewed at the last interview date (March 2nd)

So I think its safe to say they are done reviewing all normal applicants! If you haven't gotten a letter yet you should get one in the next few days.

I am very anxiously awaiting that the letter telling me my waitlist number. I feel like I'm so close to acceptance this year (I'm a repeat applicant), ah what I would do to finally have that acceptance!

I just got waitlisted via snailmail. I interviewed at the last interview date (March 2nd)

So I think its safe to say they are done reviewing all normal applicants! If you haven't gotten a letter yet you should get one in the next few days.

I am very anxiously awaiting that the letter telling me my waitlist number. I feel like I'm so close to acceptance this year (I'm a repeat applicant), ah what I would do to finally have that acceptance!

They review applicants at random, so you could have just been luckily reviewed earlier than others. Unless someone knows if they're done with reviewing applicants yet?

I was on Extended Review and put on the Alternate List... :( (IS)

just withdrew after acceptance OOS. Hope my spot goes to someone wonderful and makes someone's day! Amazing school :)

Did anyone else come home to an amazing surprise in their mailbox today? I'm in utter shock after receiving a completely unexpected and totally amazing scholarship offer.

I hope the good fortune is reaching other people out there as well! :luck:

Did anyone else come home to an amazing surprise in their mailbox today? I'm in utter shock after receiving a completely unexpected and totally amazing scholarship offer.

I hope the good fortune is reaching other people out there as well! :luck:

Congrats!!! That's so exciting! Are you in state or out of state?

in past years UW gave either 15k or a full scholarship.

well just got a letter from UW (i was alternate listed IS after interviewing in December) saying that based on the number of people who have already commit to UW, plus the number who have been waitlisted, that I am too far down to ultimately gain acceptance off the alternate list and have been removed from consideration. :( ouch . I dont even know how to classify this? post-interview post-waitlist pre-May 15th rejection. damn.

well just got a letter from UW (i was alternate listed IS after interviewing in December) saying that based on the number of people who have already commit to UW, plus the number who have been waitlisted, that I am too far down to ultimately gain acceptance off the alternate list and have been removed from consideration. :( ouch . I dont even know how to classify this? post-interview post-waitlist pre-May 15th rejection. damn.
Same here. :(

Same here. :(

Welp, my pre-May, post-interview, post-waitlist rejection letter must be at the post office.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad news you received. Does anybody know if they've done this in previous years? With how selective they have seemed to have been, I highly doubt they over accepted students, so why would they waitlist so many people to only notify them that they're rejecting them instead of giving them a ranking on the list.

On a related note, has anybody that's been rejected yet spoken with UW and found out why they were rejected? Are they changing their emphasis/ what they're looking for in applicants? ( I know during my interview they stressed the research rankings quite a bit, might they be trying to accept more very high stat, heavy research background applicants over the more public health, community service based applicants they had seemed to prefer in years past)

I spoke to the director a while ago. It seems to me that the following two scenarios explain what is going on:

Extended Review: If you were given this status immediately after your intervew, they informed you that you were going to be either admitted or waitlisted, but high up on the waitlist.

Waitlist: If you were given this status immediately after your interview, this means that you will be lower on the waitlist than those that come on from Extended Review.

I think what has happened to the folks that had been waitlisted is that once they piled all of the extended review applicants at the top of the waitlist, those that were initially waitlisted were essentially bumped off. It sucks, yes, but this is how I understand it.

My question: How much movement do you really think there is going to be? The director told me that last year was no movement whatsoever on the OOS WL, but lots on the IS. She also said that the year before there was lots of movement on both. That being said, how do people know that they have been conservative with their admission numbers this year?

Last edited:
I spoke to the director a while ago. It seems to me that the following two scenarios explain what is going on:

Extended Review: If you were given this status immediately after your intervew, they informed you that you were going to be either admitted or waitlisted, but high up on the waitlist.

Waitlist: If you were given this status immediately after your interview, this means that you will be lower on the waitlist than those that come on from Extended Review.

I think what has happened to the folks that had been waitlisted is that once they piled all of the extended review applicants at the top of the waitlist, those that were initially waitlisted were essentially bumped off. It sucks, yes, but this is how I understand it.

My question: How much movement do you really think there is going to be? The director told me that last year was no movement whatsoever on the OOS WL, but lots on the IS. She also said that the year before there was lots of movement on both. That being said, how do people know that they have been conservative with their admission numbers this year?

I'm OOS and just withdrew yesterday - hopefully that opens up a spot for someone from the OOS waitlist! :)

I'm not sure about the conservative acceptance part, however what I'm wondering about is how can they be absolutely sure that they won't need the entire IS waitlist? The letter said "based on the number who have already commit" - how do we know these people aren't waiting to hear from several waitlisted schools and may end up withdrawing if they get off at one? similarly, how do we know the people who were on extended review aren't also waiting to hear from other schools where they were waitlisted? while I do appreciate the transparency on their part and wasn't too set on UW anyway, I just think it's a bold move to dismiss the lower part of the waitlist already.. you never know what's gonna happen?

I'm not sure about the conservative acceptance part, however what I'm wondering about is how can they be absolutely sure that they won't need the entire IS waitlist? The letter said "based on the number who have already commit" - how do we know these people aren't waiting to hear from several waitlisted schools and may end up withdrawing if they get off at one? similarly, how do we know the people who were on extended review aren't also waiting to hear from other schools where they were waitlisted? while I do appreciate the transparency on their part and wasn't too set on UW anyway, I just think it's a bold move to dismiss the lower part of the waitlist already.. you never know what's gonna happen?

I think it's fair to say that they've been playing the admissions game long enough to have reliable statistics informing their decisions.

To those on the IS waitlist, I'm withdrawing my acceptance and scholarship, I hope they make someone else very happy! :)

Well last year they went ~30 deep on the IS waitlist. So I'd hazard a guess that they can be reasonable in saying they wouldn't need more that 75 people on that list...

I honestly think they're all about yield protection.

except we're not. UW is very focused on fit. I've never heard anything mentioned at any adcom meetings about yield whatsoever.

Has anyone besides the merit scholarship person heard anything about when financial aid awards are going to be released?

I love Wisconsin, but I love Minnesota-Twin Cities too, and finances will probably be the tie-breaker. Minnesota offered me a merit scholarship with my acceptance, but they also have higher tuition, so for now it's still a draw.

Fun fact: I am from neither Wisconsin nor Minnesota.

Does anyone know if everyone in the class of 2012 at Madison matched, or if there were people who did not get into residency?

What does "transitional year" mean?

Please do help.

There were 3 people who aren't doing residency next year; two of them are doing research and I don't know what the other person is doing.

I'm going to withdraw. It's a great school, but looks like they're not about to give me any free money. Hopefully that'll open up one of those coveted OOS spots.

I'm going to withdraw. It's a great school, but looks like they're not about to give me any free money. Hopefully that'll open up one of those coveted OOS spots.

Dibs?

Status
Not open for further replies.