2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called admissions yesterday and was told that ranked waitlist letters would "probably" be mailed out today. So letters might be in your mailbox tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Got the letter today and the number was underwhelming, much like this school's admissions process. Deuces Wisco.

(good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those accepted!)

Does it say how many people total there are on the waitlist? Are you IS or OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it say how many people total there are on the waitlist? Are you IS or OOS?

IS. lol no, that'd be too much info to divulge. A few weeks ago I was practically interrogated for inquiring about average Step scores. "Who are you? Why do you want to know?" :laugh:

Yeah, pretty shocked at my wait list rank. No chance I'll be getting off. I guess it's goodbye Madison; as much as I wanted to stay in my home town for 4 more years, I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

C'est la vie

Got the letter today and the number was underwhelming, much like this school's admissions process. Deuces Wisco.

(good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those accepted!)

Are those that have received their rank number letters living in WI? I'm on the east coast so I'm trying to find out when mine will arrive ...

That's really unfortunate that you were on extended review and still got a bad waitlist rank. I didn't get my letter yet (I stared at my mailbox all day and then it wasn't in the mail). I was on extended review too - Now I am extra nervous!

Are those that have received their rank number letters living in WI? I'm on the east coast so I'm trying to find out when mine will arrive ...

Yes, I received mine today as well, and I live in Madison. I called on Wednesday and they said they were sending out letters that day, I hope that helps.

Also, I am IS but the letter said nothing about IS vs OS wait list. I believe that there are two different list. Can anyone confirm that?

Also does anyone have any stats on wait lists in years past. It says they have taken as many as 30 and as few as 0. I am number 14 so I don't know what to think of that.

Yes, I received mine today as well, and I live in Madison. I called on Wednesday and they said they were sending out letters that day, I hope that helps.

Also, I am IS but the letter said nothing about IS vs OS wait list. I believe that there are two different list. Can anyone confirm that?

Also does anyone have any stats on wait lists in years past. It says they have taken as many as 30 and as few as 0. I am number 14 so I don't know what to think of that.

Thanks so much for the info. From what I have gathered, you are in a very good position at number 14.

If you don't mind, could you please share whether or not you were you on extended review prior to getting waitlisted? I went just straight to waitlist without ER first, so I am not expecting to have a great number. Thanks in advance :)

I was also on extended review for months and months. In hindsight, I don't think it stood for anything except indecision and keeping plenty of options. Don't worry too much and good luck! :luck:

Thanks so much for the info. From what I have gathered, you are in a very good position at number 14.

If you don't mind, could you please share whether or not you were you on extended review prior to getting waitlisted? I went just straight to waitlist without ER first, so I am not expecting to have a great number. Thanks in advance :)

Yes, I was on extended review prior to wait list...

Interviewed Mid October.
Entended review early november.
Wait-listed mid January.

I hope that helps. Best of Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are making me nervous. Anxiously waiting for my letter on the east coast...

14 on the IS list is very good; I think there's a high chance you get in. Either last year or the year before 0 OOS got in off the wait list per SDN.

Yeah, pretty shocked at my wait list rank. No chance I'll be getting off. I guess it's goodbye Madison; as much as I wanted to stay in my home town for 4 more years, I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

C'est la vie

Any chance you can tell us approx what your position was? Like the tens digit? I'm not sure how large the list is this year and whats considered "no chance I will make it"

I got 25. I feel that's right at the end of "maybe will get in". Which kinda sucks, well, I mean I guess I should be glad I got 25 and not 45 or whatever, but still, in my position I won't know if I get accepted until like August.

How am I supposed to make plans around that? I guess I should just plan that I won't get in, and then if I do get that phone call just be happy and deal with things from there. 25 seems pretty distant though. That just sounds like an awfully large amount of people to turn down an acceptance and open up a spot for someone on the list.

Last edited:
Any chance you can tell us approx what your position was? Like the tens digit? I'm not sure how large the list is this year and whats considered "no chance I will make it"

I got 25. I feel that's right at the end of "maybe will get in". Which kinda sucks, well, I mean I guess I should be glad I got 25 and not 45 or whatever, but still, in my position I won't know if I get accepted until like August.

How am I supposed to make plans around that? I guess I should just plan that I won't get in, and then if I do get that phone call just be happy and deal with things from there. 25 seems pretty distant though. That just sounds like an awfully large amount of people to turn down an acceptance and open up a spot for someone on the list.

I know that last year they went pretty deep. I was told they went between 30-35 deep last year which they said was deeper than normal. But I do think that you might be right in thinking that it might be a little while before you know. Hope that helps.

Best of Luck

I think you're right in making other plans and adjusting accordingly. If you've been accepted somewhere else, it'd probably be a good idea to make living plans and such. I'm not sure if it's possible to get out of a lease (I don't think it is), so that will probably be the major hurdle. I know this is a rough spot to be in, but it's all going to smooth out on its own time. It'll be okay!

Has anybody called/e-mailed Admissions to ask why you were placed on the alternate list? Have they been responsive to these types of inquiries?

Has anybody called/e-mailed Admissions to ask why you were placed on the alternate list? Have they been responsive to these types of inquiries?

I would recommend doing that after the cycle is over. Admissions has other things to deal with at the moment.

I met with Becky Duffy a while ago to ask those types of questions and she was good about answering my questions as best she could. I thought it was very helpful. But I think the above post is correct in saying that they might not be able to give you as much time right now.

I would recommend doing that after the cycle is over. Admissions has other things to deal with at the moment.

Thanks, just wanted to get some feedback now so I could get ready to re-apply. Being a bit presumptuous, though, as I have yet to learn my rank on the OOS alternate list.

I met with Becky Duffy a while ago to ask those types of questions and she was good about answering my questions as best she could. I thought it was very helpful. But I think the above post is correct in saying that they might not be able to give you as much time right now.

Thanks for the positive feedback on getting feedback. I'll wait it out.

received my wait list rank today after being placed on extended review (in state). I am very pleased with my position! :D Good luck to those still waiting!

My interviewer told me how awesome my application was and he "can't wait to mentor me next year" - I interviewed in september, got extended review, got waitlisted, and just got ranked 39th on the IS waitlist. I am into other schools - some ranked higher than UW - but this is super ridiculous. Seems like UW has not been friendly to their own undergrads at UW that want to go right into med school.

My interviewer told me how awesome my application was and he "can't wait to mentor me next year" - I interviewed in september, got extended review, got waitlisted, and just got ranked 39th on the IS waitlist. I am into other schools - some ranked higher than UW - but this is super ridiculous. Seems like UW has not been friendly to their own undergrads at UW that want to go right into med school.
i am a current undergrad as well, i was initially on the bottom of the waitlist but got a message a few weeks back saying that I had been removed from consideration. I've met with Becky several times over the last few months, and she has stressed how it is so difficult for current undergraduates to compete with those applicants who have had time off of school just because of how much more time you have to be engaged in clinical opportunities/post-bacc classwork/etc, i think they have to respect those applicants who are older and have more experience, it doesnt mean that we undergrads are not good applicants, but we just cannot compete with those who've been out of school. sucks.. yes? congrats on your other acceptances, i'm waiting on 2 other waitlists...

i am a current undergrad as well, i was initially on the bottom of the waitlist but got a message a few weeks back saying that I had been removed from consideration. I've met with Becky several times over the last few months, and she has stressed how it is so difficult for current undergraduates to compete with those applicants who have had time off of school just because of how much more time you have to be engaged in clinical opportunities/post-bacc classwork/etc, i think they have to respect those applicants who are older and have more experience, it doesnt mean that we undergrads are not good applicants, but we just cannot compete with those who've been out of school. sucks.. yes? congrats on your other acceptances, i'm waiting on 2 other waitlists...

Goodluck on your other waitlists! I agree with you, but it seems like UW emphasizes post-undergrad experiences significantly more than other schools I've been at. They have created a cycle of not accepting undergrads and then those undergrads reapply later, and they pick them over the new batch of undergrads. This is an expensive process, both financially and emotionally, and I just don't agree with the philosophy of having to do it twice to get into UW.

While a large portion of our students do go directly through UG, Uw tends to value life experiences and those students who go straight through, especially younger ones, tend to be at a disadvantage. There are a significant number of students in my class and other classes that got in on their second try, etc, and many of them are top students now; most of them were Uw undergrads. Keep in mind that a good 1/3 or more of Uw students did undergrad here as it is; we could fill our whole class with qualified Uw undergrads if we chose to, but diversity is obviously a good thing.

Same here - just got ranked #31 on the IS waitlist after Extended Review (fml). IS, undergrad at UW, 34 MCAT, 3.95 GPA with honors, bilingual/double major, neuroscience research, volunteer and work in a hospital and with underserved hispanic community, officer in a student org, etc., with health-related work experience since 16.

While a large portion of our students do go directly through UG, Uw tends to value life experiences and those students who go straight through, especially younger ones, tend to be at a disadvantage. There are a significant number of students in my class and other classes that got in on their second try, etc, and many of them are top students now; most of them were Uw undergrads. Keep in mind that a good 1/3 or more of Uw students did undergrad here as it is; we could fill our whole class with qualified Uw undergrads if we chose to, but diversity is obviously a good thing.

I agree that diversity is a good thing, but rejecting/waitlisting applicants just because they haven't taken a year off to "experience the world," even though they are qualified, is ridiculous. I also thought my interview went extremely well and was told that I was mature and experienced, despite not taking a year off and being one year younger for my class (I completed 4 years of undergrad though). She also told me she hoped to see me next year. I know many applicants similar to myself that are, frankly, overqualified (I am speaking solely MCAT/GPA here of course) with stellar extracurriculars that were rejected or waitlisted. Many people I know who took a year off to do research, volunteer work, health-related work did things I (and others that I know) did WHILE in undergrad and I don't think it's right that those applicants should be penalized for that. I am just puzzled by all of this.

Same here - just got ranked #31 on the IS waitlist after Extended Review (fml). IS, undergrad at UW, 34 MCAT, 3.95 GPA with honors, bilingual/double major, neuroscience research, volunteer and work in a hospital and with underserved hispanic community, officer in a student org, etc., with health-related work experience since 16.

I agree that diversity is a good thing, but rejecting/waitlisting applicants just because they haven't taken a year off to "experience the world," even though they are qualified, is ridiculous. I also thought my interview went extremely well and was told that I was mature and experienced, despite not taking a year off and being one year younger for my class (I completed 4 years of undergrad though). She also told me she hoped to see me next year. I know many applicants similar to myself that are, frankly, overqualified (I am speaking solely MCAT/GPA here of course) with stellar extracurriculars that were rejected or waitlisted. Many people I know who took a year off to do research, volunteer work, health-related work did things I (and others that I know) did WHILE in undergrad and I don't think it's right that those applicants should be penalized for that. I am just puzzled by all of this.
touche my friend. with stats like that I'm sure you got in other places as well? though I understand wanting to stay in Madison.

UW generally doesn't like accepting younger students; that's just something I've noticed. Several of my friends were told by the dean of admissions that their app was fine except they were too young and should have more experiences. That's an institutional bias, but one that is born of observation of outcomes. This isn't to say that we don't accept younger students; there's people in both my class and the class below that were 18-19 when accepted, it's just something that I've noticed.

Like I said earlier, UW could fill its class with high stat UW undergrads if we so chose, but prefer to have diversity in our classes. In general our classes are ~50% Wisconsin residents who went to uw system schools, 25% wi residents who went to non-Uw system schools, 5% md/phd, 5% OOS students who went to Uw, and 15% everyone else. It varies from class to class, but it is what it is.

Keep in mind in 2011 455 Uw undergrads, most of whom are from WI applied to med school, assume 1/3 of them had 3.8+, obv we can't accept them all, although on average ~100 get in per year.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more! Just because "it is what it is" doesn't make it logical or fair.

UW generally doesn't like accepting younger students; that's just something I've noticed. Several of my friends were told by the dean of admissions that their app was fine except they were too young and should have more experiences. That's an institutional bias, but one that is born of observation of outcomes. This isn't to say that we don't accept younger students; there's people in both my class and the class below that were 18-19 when accepted, it's just something that I've noticed.

Like I said earlier, UW could fill its class with high stat UW undergrads if we so chose, but prefer to have diversity in our classes. In general our classes are ~50% Wisconsin residents who went to uw system schools, 25% wi residents who went to non-Uw system schools, 5% md/phd, 5% OOS students who went to Uw, and 15% everyone else. It varies from class to class, but it is what it is.

Keep in mind in 2011 455 Uw undergrads, most of whom are from WI applied to med school, assume 1/3 of them had 3.8+, obv we can't accept them all, although on average ~100 get in per year.

I completely disagree that not attending 4th grade will have any effect on my success as a doctor or what kind of doctor I will ultimately be. I understand wanting applicants that are mature and experienced, but age does not necessarily correlate with maturity. And if they think that I, 20 at the time of my interview, was too immature and young to ultimately be accepted, then they shouldn't have gotten my hopes up with an interview or with comments about my maturity and experience. From this entire process, it seems to me that UWSMPH puts more energy into its own image and the "face" of its students. And if that's the way it is, then deuces. I'll go to a school that's focused on accepting students that they know will make great physicians and leaves it at that.

touche my friend. with stats like that I'm sure you got in other places as well? though I understand wanting to stay in Madison.

Thanks, I did get into other places but really wish to stay in Wisconsin...so here I come MCW :)

Keep in mind that generally interviewers aren't adcom members; they advocate for (or against) you at the meeting via a written report but they don't make the final decision.

Obviously the school liked other candidates more, but liked you enough to grant an interview and you also didn't get rejected; you got ranked at a spot where you have a chance to be admitted; I think we went to >30 two of the last four years so it does happen.

Every school is concerned about its image, building a class, and how each individual applicant fits into all of that. I'm sorry for those of you for whom the cycle here didn't work out as well as you'd hoped but I'm sure you all will be successful regardless of where you end up.

I completely disagree that not attending 4th grade will have any effect on my success as a doctor or what kind of doctor I will ultimately be. I understand wanting applicants that are mature and experienced, but age does not necessarily correlate with maturity. And if they think that I, 20 at the time of my interview, was too immature and young to ultimately be accepted, then they shouldn't have gotten my hopes up with an interview or with comments about my maturity and experience. From this entire process, it seems to me that UWSMPH puts more energy into its own image and the "face" of its students. And if that's the way it is, then deuces. I'll go to a school that's focused on accepting students that they know will make great physicians and leaves it at that.

Thanks, I did get into other places but really wish to stay in Wisconsin...so here I come MCW :)

Keep in mind that generally interviewers aren't adcom members; they advocate for (or against) you at the meeting via a written report but they don't make the final decision.

Obviously the school liked other candidates more, but liked you enough to grant an interview and you also didn't get rejected; you got ranked at a spot where you have a chance to be admitted; I think we went to >30 two of the last four years so it does happen.

Every school is concerned about its image, building a class, and how each individual applicant fits into all of that. I'm sorry for those of you for whom the cycle here didn't work out as well as you'd hoped but I'm sure you all will be successful regardless of where you end up.

If you are trying to argue that Badger08 should be pumped that she/he got ranked 31 on the waitlist with her stats and experiences - you should probably stop.

Hmm. This is odd. I got 25 as well. Okone, are you in-state or out-of-state?

Two things.

1) You SHOULD be glad you at least got waitlisted. Hundreds upon hundreds of highly qualified people got declined, you were at least given a chance. I had a 35 MCAT, an average GPA, many hours in volunteering and I got declined for 2 years in a row from Madison. Not waitlisted, just strait up rejected. My third year applying I finally got accepted (and I am an M1 there now), but you have to realize even with great stats its not easy to get in. So many qualified students for so few spots:scared:

2) I'll agree that UWSMPH puts way too much effort into the wrong thing during interview days.
Here is what the applicants have on their minds when they go to interview day:
-Oh god I hope I get in
-omg will I get in
-Ahhh so nervous I need to get in
-What are my chances? I really hope I get in

... and Here is what UWSMPH spends your time on
-We are the best. You should come here.
-No seriously, we are a great school. PLEASE PICK US.
-Wow, look at these awesome things and new buildings. Choose our school!
-I really hope you choose us, please choose us, please choose us.

Even the interviews I had were like this. I went in there ready to defend my application and do my damnest to convince them to pick me, but the interviewers seemed less interested in my application and more interested in trying to convince me to come here. In the interviews I never got asked "why do you want to be an MD" but I did get asked "What else can I tell you that will convince you to come here:)"

The interviewers and the people at the interview day are just so kind and really, really make it seem like all of you guys are already accepted. They make it seem like interview day is all about selling you on the school, when really all the applicants care about is just trying to get in.

It was just maddening to sit through 8 hours of admissions people telling you "wow, this application is awesome! You should come here, what more can I tell you to make you convinced to come here!! :) Please come here!!" ...and then 15 days later get that letter in the mail that says REJECTED.

It's like, hey, thanks for getting my hopes up guys. Maybe you should have discussed my application with me and told me my flaws instead of wasting both of our time selling your school to someone that was just going to get declined. :confused:

I mean, don't get me wrong. I really do LOVE this place, Madison is awesome. But I am still a tad sour over my first application cycle here many years ago.

Last edited:
If you are trying to argue that Badger08 should be pumped that she/he got ranked 31 on the waitlist with her stats and experiences - you should probably stop.

My point is that with 450+ premeds from UW for ~100 spots a lot of qualified people aren't going to get in. UW is looking for more than just stats.

Hmm. This is odd. I got 25 as well. Okone, are you in-state or out-of-state?

I am in state. Though I admit my number wasn't exactly 25, my actual number is just a tad higher than 25. But in my head I have rounded it down to 25 since the lower number makes me feel better :laugh:

Two things.

1) You SHOULD be glad you at least got waitlisted. Hundreds upon hundreds of highly qualified people got declined, you were at least given a chance. I had a 35 MCAT, an average GPA, many hours in volunteering and I got declined for 2 years in a row from Madison. Not waitlisted, just strait up rejected. My third year applying I finally got accepted (and I am an M1 there now), but you have to realize even with great stats its not easy to get in. So many qualified students for so few spots:scared:

2) I'll agree that UWSMPH puts way too much effort into the wrong thing during interview days.
Here is what the applicants have on their minds when they go to interview day:
-Oh god I hope I get in
-omg will I get in
-Ahhh so nervous I need to get in
-What are my chances? I really hope I get in

... and Here is what UWSMPH spends your time on
-We are the best. You should come here.
-No seriously, we are a great school. PLEASE PICK US.
-Wow, look at these awesome things and new buildings. Choose our school!
-I really hope you choose us, please choose us, please choose us.

Even the interviews I had were like this. I went in there ready to defend my application and do my damnest to convince them to pick me, but the interviewers seemed less interested in my application and more interested in trying to convince me to come here. In the interviews I never got asked "why do you want to be an MD" but I did get asked "What else can I tell you that will convince you to come here:)"

The interviewers and the people at the interview day are just so kind and really, really make it seem like all of you guys are already accepted. They make it seem like interview day is all about selling you on the school, when really all the applicants care about is just trying to get in.

It was just maddening to sit through 8 hours of admissions people telling you "wow, this application is awesome! You should come here, what more can I tell you to make you convinced to come here!! :) Please come here!!" ...and then 15 days later get that letter in the mail that says REJECTED.

It's like, hey, thanks for getting my hopes up guys. Maybe you should have discussed my application with me and told me my flaws instead of wasting both of our time selling your school to someone that was just going to get declined. :confused:

I mean, don't get me wrong. I really do LOVE this place, Madison is awesome. But I am still a tad sour over my first application cycle here many years ago.

Omg Hahaha that is sooooooo true about the interview day. They should have a separate interview day for anyone who has been living in Madison and or went to Madison for undergrad. Like I know about football games/farmer markets and every other selling point.

Prior to my app cycle (2008) UW interviewed every in state student above a certain low threshold. We've never emphasized the interview like other schools; a large portion of the admissions decision is made prior to the interview, at least for IS students. This kinda sucks to a certain degree because it gets their hopes up, but I mean the alternative (post-secondary rejection) is worse, no?

My point is that with 450+ premeds from UW for ~100 spots a lot of qualified people aren't going to get in. UW is looking for more than just stats.

I can assure you, I get your point but I think you're missing mine. As you could tell from my previous posts, I am not basing this solely on stats and discussed in length my experiences. At the interview day, we were told (several times) that statistically and experience-wise, that we were all qualified and at that point would be judged by our interview. During my interview, I was given nothing but positive comments and my interviewer told me she looked forward to seeing me next year. I don't expect you to understand because you have neither reviewed my application nor interviewed me, but I am still puzzled by all of this. If the one person who actually spoke with you at length (who I know is not on the adcom, that's common knowledge) practically welcomed you to the school next year, I would think that you'd be a little frustrated.

I can assure you, I get your point but I think you're missing mine. As you could tell from my previous posts, I am not basing this solely on stats and discussed in length my experiences. At the interview day, we were told (several times) that statistically and experience-wise, that we were all qualified and at that point would be judged by our interview. During my interview, I was given nothing but positive comments and my interviewer told me she looked forward to seeing me next year. I don't expect you to understand because you have neither reviewed my application nor interviewed me, but I am still puzzled by all of this. If the one person who actually spoke with you at length (who I know is not on the adcom, that's common knowledge) practically welcomed you to the school next year, I would think that you'd be a little frustrated.

Yeah I think it sucks that the interview isn't weighed more here; I think it's something we're working on changing but it's a slow process considering 5 years ago it had very little value. As far as the interview day goes, I kinda liked that it was really positive; it was a good recruiting tool, but I can see how it'd give people the wrong impression.

I completely agree with the interview day description above. It's all a bunch of lip service. No one who's went to school here needs to hear how great this place is. We've got it, thanks. :thumbup:

I haven't seen this kind of disgust over a school's admissions on any other forum, and I have a hard time believing Wisconsinites are a more ungrateful bunch than most. UW has their admissions backwards and they're losing a lot of WI's best crop. These uber strong applicants actually want to stay in Madison, so welcome them and build a powerhouse instead of selecting lesser qualified applicants. I also don't buy that UW is selecting almost solely on application strength because we wouldn't be having this conversation right now if they were. There's no way there was 130+ IS applicants with a stronger application than me. I'm sorry, there just wasn't. To quote my family physician, "Wisconsin's admissions is who you know and who you blow."

It seems to me that UW is doing a good (but certainly not perfect, there's def some here) job of filtering out premeds with a strong sense of entitlement.

It seems to me that UW is doing a good (but certainly not perfect, there's def some here) job of filtering out premeds with a strong sense of entitlement.

lol, I knew that'd get a rise out of you.

I'm certainly not entitled to anything. I had actually heard going into this cycle that UW had it backwards, so I wasn't expecting much. I just didn't like being lied to (i.e. being told how great I was, that they wanted me to attend, etc.) when they really weren't interested. No other school did that. The interview was followed by 4 months of extended review where I was still told I was a strong applicant and would have a high waitlist spot if I wasn't accepted outright. And then there was the 3 months of believing I was high waitlisted before finding out that I was, in fact, strung on the entire time. Of course I'm going to be bitter; I worked my butt off to stay here. Now I'll be uprooting my life at the last second to move across the country. I feel very sorry for anyone who went through that mess and didn't get in at all. I'm lucky, not entitled.

Last edited:
Random question: I am #2 on the IS wait list...... is it too optimistic to look at housing?

Im very appreciative of this, it will make for a great class of 2016. I cant wait to get started in August. Anyone here attend the second visit today? I was there and really enjoyed the talks as well as the ice cream. :D

Im very appreciative of this, it will make for a great class of 2016. I cant wait to get started in August. Anyone here attend the second visit today? I was there and really enjoyed the talks as well as the ice cream. :D

I didn't have time to go this year, unfortunately, how was it? I haven't interacted with the '16 class primarily because I won't be in school with them but Jane and Chris seemed really excited about the incoming class! I was on the student panel last year. The ice cream is super good! Was Bucky here this year?

I didn't have time to go this year, unfortunately, how was it? I haven't interacted with the '16 class primarily because I won't be in school with them but Jane and Chris seemed really excited about the incoming class! I was on the student panel last year. The ice cream is super good! Was Bucky here this year?

Well, that's a bummer. Would have been nice to a put a face to the chicken with all the answers :). I found the second visit very informative. I am really interested in TRIUMPH and the Global Health Certificate. I will have to look at this programs a little more closely, but they seem ideal for me. Bucky was definitely there and yes I took advantage of the photo-op :D

Status
Not open for further replies.