You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 West Virginia University Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Bruin,
Yes. If you are wait-listed, the best news you can receive is that you will remain on the wait-list. This is essentially telling you that you still have a chance to matriculate in with the Class of 2016. Based on the size of the wait-list this year and upon their statistical assessment of how much a wait-list will tend to move in a given year, those more towards the bottom of the wait-list will be let-go of. It helps both parties, as much as many of us including myself would not like to hear of a rejection.
Honestly, it's a nice gesture by WVU. It gives those more towards the bottom a chance to focus on their plans for the next year or on a different school.
Yes. If you are wait-listed, the best news you can receive is that you will remain on the wait-list. This is essentially telling you that you still have a chance to matriculate in with the Class of 2016. Based on the size of the wait-list this year and upon their statistical assessment of how much a wait-list will tend to move in a given year, those more towards the bottom of the wait-list will be let-go of. It helps both parties, as much as many of us including myself would not like to hear of a rejection.
Honestly, it's a nice gesture by WVU. It gives those more towards the bottom a chance to focus on their plans for the next year or on a different school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bruin,
Yes. If you are wait-listed, the best news you can receive is that you will remain on the wait-list. This is essentially telling you that you still have a chance to matriculate in with the Class of 2016. Based on the size of the wait-list this year and upon their statistical assessment of how much a wait-list will tend to move in a given year, those more towards the bottom of the wait-list will be let-go of. It helps both parties, as much as many of us including myself would not like to hear of a rejection.
Honestly, it's a nice gesture by WVU. It gives those more towards the bottom a chance to focus on their plans for the next year or on a different school.
I agree! I love that WVU does this and wish that all med schools would also implement the same strategy.
Good luck to you Hokie! I'm in the same boat and also hoping to remain on the waitlist!
Are you talking about waitlist updates?
I also called Mrs. McCormick last Thursday and she told me that all waitlisters will hear something within the first part of April... whether they will remain on the waitlist or whether they will not be considered by the adcom anymore. Not sure how to interpret this. Does she mean the best news is that you will remain on the waitlist? Are people getting accepted from this batch of letters?
Yes, it will be more of WL or rejection. WVU does it every year, and as far as I know, most people remain on WL with a very few getting rejected.
really funny, should I laugh too?so she called you Fortress?? HAHA
nope. Hoping no news is good news!Anyone hear anything today .. ?
I want to hear something!! I'm so tired of waiting, I'm working on a graduate school application at the moment just in case :c
I have a DO acceptance, but prefer the allopathic pathway. Agree, all this waiting stinks!I want to hear something!! I'm so tired of waiting, I'm working on a graduate school application at the moment just in case :c
I have a DO acceptance, but prefer the allopathic pathway. Agree, all this waiting stinks!
That's great that you have one at least! I prefer allopathic solely because of the options. It's harder to specialize as a DO. Other than that, if I need a second app cycle, I would definitely apply DO.
I just want one acceptance and I don't care where, although I would prefer WVU.
Actually, DO's can specialize in anything available to MD's. Just check out any of their match lists, they are indistinguishable from match lists from MD schools. However, DO schools tend to attract primary care physicians as the osteopathic philosophy focuses more on treating the patient rather than the disease. At least this is my understanding - for what it's worth!That's great that you have one at least! I prefer allopathic solely because of the options. It's harder to specialize as a DO. Other than that, if I need a second app cycle, I would definitely apply DO.
I just want one acceptance and I don't care where, although I would prefer WVU.
WVU is an hour from my home, so I'm really hoping to get off the WL!!
Actually, DO's can specialize in anything available to MD's. Just check out any of their match lists, they are indistinguishable from match lists from MD schools. However, DO schools tend to attract primary care physicians as the osteopathic philosophy focuses more on treating the patient rather than the disease. At least this is my understanding - for what it's worth!
WVU is an hour from my home, so I'm really hoping to get off the WL!!
I know they specialize but I'm pretty sure hospitals have a lot fewer residency specialty slots for DOs than MDs--hence more competitive.
I know that there was some law/rule passed recently that DO's cant do MD residencies anymore, hence increasing the gap between a DO and an MD.
When I was applying, I've asked many MDs about their feelings towards DO physicians. Their answers were invariably along these lines: "As a DO you will be able to do the same work; you will be paid just as much; and you will get the same amout of respect. However, with a DO it might become a bit more challenging to get into the residency program you want."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the 2011 match for PCOM. 2012 isn't published yet.When I was applying, I've asked many MDs about their feelings towards DO physicians. Their answers were invariably along these lines: "As a DO you will be able to do the same work; you will be paid just as much; and you will get the same amout of respect. However, with a DO it might become a bit more challenging to get into the residency program you want."
http://nucleus.pcom.edu/cps/pcom_content/StdAffairs/Career/DO/Match_List_2011_Philadelphia.pdf
BUT - Still hoping to get in an allopathic program. WL's at several which makes waiting tough. Hoping for a thick envelope soon!Here's the 2011 match for PCOM. 2012 isn't published yet.
http://nucleus.pcom.edu/cps/pcom_content/StdAffairs/Career/DO/Match_List_2011_Philadelphia.pdf
I live in the area .. PCOM is a very good medical school, one of, if not the best DO school around. Keep in mind though that their reputation across the nation is well-known, and will naturally affect their match list. That match list is very good, obviously, but not every DO match list is going to look like that.
And with all due to respect to each and every medical school in the United States, a DO match list would in some cases be distinguishable from an MD match list. It's going to be very heavy on family medicine, pediatrics, and ob-gyn. That's not to say that being a DO student prevents you from getting a residency that you might want. It doesn't! But if you look at simple statistics, depending on what residency you may want, an MD program, from a numbers perspective ONLY, is often more likely to get you there.
And with all due to respect to each and every medical school in the United States, a DO match list would in some cases be distinguishable from an MD match list. It's going to be very heavy on family medicine, pediatrics, and ob-gyn. That's not to say that being a DO student prevents you from getting a residency that you might want. It doesn't! But if you look at simple statistics, depending on what residency you may want, an MD program, from a numbers perspective ONLY, is often more likely to get you there.
Hey guys I heard some interesting news yesterday. I was interviewing at Hershey yesterday and I spoke to a girl (from my school no less!) who got accepted to WVU recently. She claimed that she received a phone call and that she was told she was in the "last batch" of people accepted into the initial class. This was two weeks ago.
This is odd because it directly contradicts what Mrs. McCormick emailed me with, saying we would receive letters of status and last week, too. Quite odd.
This is odd because it directly contradicts what Mrs. McCormick emailed me with, saying we would receive letters of status and last week, too. Quite odd.
Hey guys I heard some interesting news yesterday. I was interviewing at Hershey yesterday and I spoke to a girl (from my school no less!) who got accepted to WVU recently. She claimed that she received a phone call and that she was told she was in the "last batch" of people accepted into the initial class. This was two weeks ago.
This is odd because it directly contradicts what Mrs. McCormick emailed me with, saying we would receive letters of status and last week, too. Quite odd.
Are you sure that by saying "WVU" she meant "WVU SOM" and nothing else? Because from my experience some people use the word "medical" quite loosely. For some "medical" = "nursing", or something else. In addition, even if it is true, the key words here would be "initial class", which means "preliminary". So, I wouldn't worry, yet.
This girl was interviewing for Hershey medical school like I was, and I'm assuming that Mrs. McCormick meant SOM.
Also, I'm worried because I wanted to be accepted into the initial class. I didn't want to have to wait another 2 months to hear :c But if I have to, then I will! (And WVU will be hearing from me about my continued interest!)
Also, I'm worried because I wanted to be accepted into the initial class. I didn't want to have to wait another 2 months to hear :c But if I have to, then I will! (And WVU will be hearing from me about my continued interest!)
Are you a PA or WV resident?This girl was interviewing for Hershey medical school like I was, and I'm assuming that Mrs. McCormick meant SOM.
Also, I'm worried because I wanted to be accepted into the initial class. I didn't want to have to wait another 2 months to hear :c But if I have to, then I will! (And WVU will be hearing from me about my continued interest!)
Neither! I'm a NJ resident going to school at Penn State
I'm at Penn State too knifeNeither! I'm a NJ resident going to school at Penn State
Hey guys I heard some interesting news yesterday. I was interviewing at Hershey yesterday and I spoke to a girl (from my school no less!) who got accepted to WVU recently. She claimed that she received a phone call and that she was told she was in the "last batch" of people accepted into the initial class. This was two weeks ago.
This is odd because it directly contradicts what Mrs. McCormick emailed me with, saying we would receive letters of status and last week, too. Quite odd.
This is true. I talked to Mrs. McCormick last week and she told me the initial class had been filled for "AMCAS purposes". Not sure what the last part means exactly. And she said of course the initial class is never the same class that actually starts in August, meaning waitlist movement. She also told me that the waitlist does not get ranked. She didn't mention anything about the letter that others on here have mentioned about either staying on the waitlist or getting rejected.
I submitted an update letter in early March. The admissions office replied to me the next day via email and stated "letters of status should be going out by the end of the month." My guess is the initial class is filled but those of us still on the waitlist will be getting letters letting us know that we either remain on the waitlist or are no longer being considered.This is true. I talked to Mrs. McCormick last week and she told me the initial class had been filled for "AMCAS purposes". Not sure what the last part means exactly. And she said of course the initial class is never the same class that actually starts in August, meaning waitlist movement. She also told me that the waitlist does not get ranked. She didn't mention anything about the letter that others on here have mentioned about either staying on the waitlist or getting rejected.
I submitted an update letter in early March. The admissions office replied to me the next day via email and stated "letters of status should be going out by the end of the month." My guess is the initial class is filled but those of us still on the waitlist will be getting letters letting us know that we either remain on the waitlist or are no longer being considered.
That's precisely what I did, and I was told the week of March 19th :\
Yep, I wonder what happened to the early April notifications of continued WL or over and out.The silence in here is killing me!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe silence means still on the WL??
I dont think people on the wait list get rejected..........not until very late in the game...like july.
Has anyone heard anything from Ms. McCormick? I emailed her asking about my status but got no response. She might be just tired of applicants by now......this wait is atrocious!
Was perusing around online and found this (see below link). These are the AAMC's "recommendations," but are they mandatory?
See #9, regarding individuals notifying schools of where they will be matriculating, by May 15. I could be wrong here, but I'm just wondering how many people actually notify schools if this "requirement" is not mandatory and is instead an unwritten rule. In the latter instance, it seems that the wait for us WL'ers could be slightly longer.
Someone who's in the know, brief me on this ..
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/
See #9, regarding individuals notifying schools of where they will be matriculating, by May 15. I could be wrong here, but I'm just wondering how many people actually notify schools if this "requirement" is not mandatory and is instead an unwritten rule. In the latter instance, it seems that the wait for us WL'ers could be slightly longer.
Someone who's in the know, brief me on this ..
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/
Was perusing around online and found this (see below link). These are the AAMC's "recommendations," but are they mandatory?
See #9, regarding individuals notifying schools of where they will be matriculating, by May 15. I could be wrong here, but I'm just wondering how many people actually notify schools if this "requirement" is not mandatory and is instead an unwritten rule. In the latter instance, it seems that the wait for us WL'ers could be slightly longer.
Someone who's in the know, brief me on this ..
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/
I had always gotten the impression that that's the universal "deadline" and that you can actually get in trouble if a school finds out you're holding on to other acceptances...But also it's just not a nice move to hold on to multiple acceptances that late to both people on the WL and the schools that need full classes.
Was perusing around online and found this (see below link). These are the AAMC's "recommendations," but are they mandatory?
See #9, regarding individuals notifying schools of where they will be matriculating, by May 15. I could be wrong here, but I'm just wondering how many people actually notify schools if this "requirement" is not mandatory and is instead an unwritten rule. In the latter instance, it seems that the wait for us WL'ers could be slightly longer.
Someone who's in the know, brief me on this ..
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/
Yea, that's a definite rule.
I had emailed Ms. McCormick a couple weeks ago and she got back to me this morning. This is what the email said:
" Unfortunately, I can't tell you when an update will be sent out as I am awaiting information from the committee before I can do anything. Hopefully something should be sent out soon."
Doesnt really help but thought id let you guys know......
" Unfortunately, I can't tell you when an update will be sent out as I am awaiting information from the committee before I can do anything. Hopefully something should be sent out soon."
Doesnt really help but thought id let you guys know......
actually just received another update,.anybody else get an email from ms. McCormick?
actually just received another update,.anybody else get an email from ms. Mccormick?
+1
So after reading this e-mail -- will others be snail mailing updates instead of e-mailing?
It would suck to get rejected after this super long wait ( i was waitlisted in december.....)
So after reading this e-mail -- will others be snail mailing updates instead of e-mailing?
I found it a little odd that she gave a postal address as well. Anything we had sent earlier I'm sure is fine. I actually had received an email from her earlier this morning saying she would print out my latest update and add it to my file. Maybe she's just getting swamped with emails these days and figures its easier for snail mail..? Who knows, never said you couldn't keep emailing either.
+1...wondering if I should have official transcripts mailed to her instead of unofficial ones e-mailed...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got the status update too, indicating that I will remail on the waiting list until further notice.
I also saw in the update that additional materials (e.g., transcripts) are now to be snail mailed to Ms. M for disseminated to the committee.
But what about last-minute, additional letter(s) of recommendation? At this point, would an LOR be sent to Ms. M directly via snail mail, or would it still need to officially go through AMCAS?
Any advice/insight would be much appreciated.
I also saw in the update that additional materials (e.g., transcripts) are now to be snail mailed to Ms. M for disseminated to the committee.
But what about last-minute, additional letter(s) of recommendation? At this point, would an LOR be sent to Ms. M directly via snail mail, or would it still need to officially go through AMCAS?
Any advice/insight would be much appreciated.
Spoke with and then e-mailed Ms. McCormick yesterday to give up my in-state acceptance. She thanked me for contacting her since "the admission committee was planning on meeting tomorrow or Thursday to fill holes in the class ...". I thought those of you anxious to hear WL news may find that interesting.
Good luck to all!
Good luck to all!
Spoke with and then e-mailed Ms. McCormick yesterday to give up my in-state acceptance. She thanked me for contacting her since "the admission committee was planning on meeting tomorrow or Thursday to fill holes in the class ...". I thought those of you anxious to hear WL news may find that interesting.
Good luck to all!
WOW that is very exciting news! Thank you for the insight! Best of luck on your other endeavors.
Thanks for the update usarmyguy! Good luck with everything
- Status
- Not open for further replies.