You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 West Virginia University Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
What would be considered strong ties to West Virginia?
is it significant enough to say i have a family friend that i used to visit a ton during my childhood?
i really want to go to this school, and love everything about it, but im afraid of being rejected for lack of ties...
is it significant enough to say i have a family friend that i used to visit a ton during my childhood?
i really want to go to this school, and love everything about it, but im afraid of being rejected for lack of ties...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LadyRugger, I know you have been really anxiously awaiting a response. I'm really happy for you - Congratulations! 😀
Thanks dra13 and hokiemd1. I am super stoked! I feel like I am more excited about this interview invite than I will be about an acceptance somewhere else.
RanRun - I think they want to see that you have some connection. Don't leave that question blank. Their mission is to train doctors to serve the people of WV or the surrounding states, so I think they try to see that you fit in with this mission. I think a lot of OOS people apply because WVUs numbers are on the lower side, so the admissions has gotten good at filtering these people out!
are they interviews open file and do they have our stats?
Congrats, Duon. What do you mean, your only chance
I applied pretty early in the cycle. This is the only invite I get.
What would be considered strong ties to West Virginia?
is it significant enough to say i have a family friend that i used to visit a ton during my childhood?
i really want to go to this school, and love everything about it, but im afraid of being rejected for lack of ties...
You do NOT have to have strong ties. I got accepted early on and I'm from MD and do not have any significant ties.
Yay! I got an interview! I am very grateful. I can't wait. (OOS).
Does anyone know if there is any possibility of date change for the interview? I thought I would give a call tomorrow to Mrs. McCormick. I happen to be at a conference on the day of the interview. Obviously I would skip the conference to come to an interview, but just wondering if anyone know if this would be considered.
Thanks for any insight.
Does anyone know if there is any possibility of date change for the interview? I thought I would give a call tomorrow to Mrs. McCormick. I happen to be at a conference on the day of the interview. Obviously I would skip the conference to come to an interview, but just wondering if anyone know if this would be considered.
Thanks for any insight.
Furyhelca,
It's worth a shot. However, a couple of weeks back, I called Mrs. McCormick to confirm my interview date and asked if I could be postponed by one week because I would be back home and already had a flight scheduled for that following week.
Unfortunately, she was not able to accommodate me, I believe because of the pre-planned nature of the time slots for interviewing and the manner in which they schedule the interviewers.
The next day though (presumably because someone failed to confirm or withdrew their application), she actually sent me an e-mail telling me that another slot had opened up. Unfortunately I had already bought my plane ticket by then!
Anyways, my answer is that it is probably a slimmer chance, but definitely possible. Hope that helps.
It's worth a shot. However, a couple of weeks back, I called Mrs. McCormick to confirm my interview date and asked if I could be postponed by one week because I would be back home and already had a flight scheduled for that following week.
Unfortunately, she was not able to accommodate me, I believe because of the pre-planned nature of the time slots for interviewing and the manner in which they schedule the interviewers.
The next day though (presumably because someone failed to confirm or withdrew their application), she actually sent me an e-mail telling me that another slot had opened up. Unfortunately I had already bought my plane ticket by then!
Anyways, my answer is that it is probably a slimmer chance, but definitely possible. Hope that helps.
Last edited:
Yay! I got an interview! I am very grateful. I can't wait. (OOS).
Does anyone know if there is any possibility of date change for the interview? I thought I would give a call tomorrow to Mrs. McCormick. I happen to be at a conference on the day of the interview. Obviously I would skip the conference to come to an interview, but just wondering if anyone know if this would be considered.
Thanks for any insight.
You can definitely reschedule... but it may push your date way back into Jan/Feb. If you are really hoping for an outright acceptance to WVU I think early(ier) interviews are a must!
Hello all! Just recieved an acceptance call from Marshall University earlier tonight! For those who applied to Marshall, the AdCom is meeting Nov 1/2...so the first rounds of decisions will be complete later this evening.
Interviewing at WVU Nov. 9th...will anyone else be there?
Interviewing at WVU Nov. 9th...will anyone else be there?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In-State. Interviewed on Sept 8, acceptance notification dated Oct. 15, but my impression is that the ADCOM met and considered the app prior to that, with notification delayed due to the traffic rule.
had an interview today, oos 3.9 gpa and 30+ mcat it only lasted 15 minutes? impressions?
Isn't that annoying?
I personally like the 1 hour+ interviews (no sarcasm).
did you already interview? personally i think its a good sign. the other students were in there for 30 minutes
had an interview today, oos 3.9 gpa and 30+ mcat it only lasted 15 minutes? impressions?
I wouldn't look into the time that much. They got the information they needed. It doesn't matter if it takes an hour or 5 minutes, once they have the information they need there really is no reason to continue an interview.
I wouldn't worry about the length of the interview, short or long. That's probably all dependent on your interviewers and how much you have to say and how the conversation is going.
Just checked my mailbox... ACCEPTED! Interviewed 10/10, OOS waitlist last week.
congrats!
Just checked my mailbox... ACCEPTED! Interviewed 10/10, OOS waitlist last week.
Congrats!!
Did you say you were waitlisted last week but got accepted this week?
Congrats!!
Did you say you were waitlisted last week but got accepted this week?
Yes, that is correct. I wasnt expecting to hear so soon. No ties either.
Hello all! Just recieved an acceptance call from Marshall University earlier tonight! For those who applied to Marshall, the AdCom is meeting Nov 1/2...so the first rounds of decisions will be complete later this evening.
Interviewing at WVU Nov. 9th...will anyone else be there?
I am!
Just got my interview invite for Jan. 20th. 3.89 SGPA, 3.69CGPA, 31R. I'm OOS but was born and raised in WV, just haven't lived there for several years. I'm hoping this isn't too late for me to get an acceptance. I was late getting my applications submitted and this is the first school I've heard back from.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just interviewed on 11/11 and was told the same. This could be great news!
However .. DocMan -- I presume you are a WV resident?
I am. I was told by the lady from the admissions office that the admissions committee meets every Thursday but they were weeks behind on reviewing. She also told us everyone gets waitlisted first and they don't start accepting people until the end of November. Looking back at all the people who have been accepted in Oct, I don't think she really knows whats going on.
Interviewed Monday, 11/7 - received acceptance in mail Saturday, 11/12. They had told us at the interview that we would not be reviewed by the admissions committee for several weeks.
I am so jealous.
I was interviewed on 11/9 and I am oos.
More i think back to my interview, more regrets I have.
Duon, what do you mean? I'm sure that you did better than you think.
Thinking back to my interview, I just think my answers were not thorough enough.
It is God's work, if I get in lol.
Interviewed Monday, 11/7 - received acceptance in mail Saturday, 11/12. They had told us at the interview that we would not be reviewed by the admissions committee for several weeks.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?
32M oGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.7
Thinking back to my interview, I just think my answers were not thorough enough.
I felt that same way, like they were always waiting for me to say more.
Thinking back to my interview, I just think my answers were not thorough enough.
It is God's work, if I get in lol.
After my first interview which was at this school, I dwelled on it for a long time. We gotta stop thinking about our interviews which will make the waiting faster. I know I am trying.
Hey Duon, it was my first interview as well. I think my interview actually went quite well, but as for me, I feel that I had significant ground to make up because of a poor VR section (which ironically is my strength) and overall rather lackluster MCAT performance compared to my practice exams.
The point is, we each probably have one or two components of our application that could use some shaping up. Most Adcoms are probably more focused on the bigger picture.
If it makes you feel any better, I bet you that in the scheme of this application cycle, you are in a much better position than I am currently 🙂 -- You're going to make it! This will probably be my only interview this cycle, and if I don't get accepted, it's time to crack those dreaded MCAT book again.
An interview invitation is such a great sign that you have something to contribute. Whatever happens, I think we should all be thankful for the opportunity to have experienced the medical school interview process. I know I am.
** By the way, for those of you who interviewed and have not posted -- How long was your interview itself?
The point is, we each probably have one or two components of our application that could use some shaping up. Most Adcoms are probably more focused on the bigger picture.
If it makes you feel any better, I bet you that in the scheme of this application cycle, you are in a much better position than I am currently 🙂 -- You're going to make it! This will probably be my only interview this cycle, and if I don't get accepted, it's time to crack those dreaded MCAT book again.
An interview invitation is such a great sign that you have something to contribute. Whatever happens, I think we should all be thankful for the opportunity to have experienced the medical school interview process. I know I am.
** By the way, for those of you who interviewed and have not posted -- How long was your interview itself?
** By the way, for those of you who interviewed and have not posted -- How long was your interview itself?
~30-35 minutes, very conversational and relaxed - supposedly adcom is meeting for people on my interview day this week so

Chances I would hear back before Thanksgiving?
~30-35 minutes, very conversational and relaxed - supposedly adcom is meeting for people on my interview day this week so
Chances I would hear back before Thanksgiving?
Ahh. My interview was ~ 45 min. On what date did you interview?
I interviewed on 11/9. Does the WVU AdCom meet every Thursday?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed the 4th...and they told us that the committee meets on Tuesdays
I interviewed the 4th...and they told us that the committee meets on Tuesdays
i interviewed the 2nd and they told us three weeks
i interviewed the 2nd and they told us three weeks
Think they'll let us know before Thanksgiving?
Ahh. My interview was ~ 45 min. On what date did you interview?
I interviewed on 11/9. Does the WVU AdCom meet every Thursday?
In-state. Interviewed 9/8, accepted 10/15. Interview was about an hour, but as a non-traditional applicant, I had a long-ish story to explain. In general, it was conversational and pleasant considering that it might otherwise have been very tense. I felt fortunate when I left.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.