2019-2020 Dartmouth

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

According to AAMC, Dartmouth "typically" waitlists 10-30 students and accepts ~20 off the waitlist. I'd say the bodes well for us.


If I remember correctly, Geisel mentioned that they waitlist ~1/3 of their 700ish applicants. I'm guessing the AAMC numbers reflect people who don't withdraw from the waitlist and are then eventually accepted off of it.

Still, the numbers seem a bit funky.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I remember correctly, Geisel mentioned that they waitlist ~1/3 of their 700ish applicants. I'm guessing the AAMC numbers reflect people who don't withdraw from the waitlist and are then eventually accepted off of it.

Still, the numbers seem a bit funky.

Yeah I dug I a little deeper and a previous year’s thread had this same quandary.

Your hypothesis could be correct that only so many people elect to remain on the WL, but either way the numbers are definitely wonky.
 
Anybody know if there has been any movement? Trying to gauge if Dart will not be accepting off the waitlist this year :’(
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It definitely wouldn't hurt to send an email to admissions. I know last year it looked like they were very responsive to people who inquired about movement. It may be helpful to get to know if there will be movement this year.
 
It definitely wouldn't hurt to send an email to admissions. I know last year it looked like they were very responsive to people who inquired about movement. It may be helpful to get to know if there will be movement this year.
I emailed admissions and this was the response: “thank you for reaching out. Currently we are still holding over class size, until we fall below class size we cannot offer admission off the waitlist.”

Not exactly what I wanted to hear ☹️
 
I emailed admissions and this was the response: “thank you for reaching out. Currently we are still holding over class size, until we fall below class size we cannot offer admission off the waitlist.”

Not exactly what I wanted to hear ☹
That's a drag 🙁 Well hopefully we'll see some movement as time goes on.
 
I know this is pure conjecture, but do you guys think there will be any waitlist movement at all given that message?

If I were to guess, probably a few spots will open up towards the end of this month until mid-June. To analogize it, movement at Dartmouth will be more like a small creek compared to a large river at other schools lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering this is the only school i'm WL on... this is extremely demoralizing 🙁
Hang in there guys. Sometimes it takes a while, but if you have the flexibility, wait it out. A couple years ago, a friend of mine got in off the WL super late in the game (I think it was july), but it was an acceptance all the same. Leading up to that, he was a little glum but he held out. If anyone needs any moral support, I understand how tough it can be so please lmk if there's anything I can do to help (might sound cheesy, but it's genuine). It'll work out...even if it's not the way we thought it would/we want it to.

I'm rooting for you guys! (lol sorry I'm so corny, but you got this!)
 
YAY! They just announced in person classes beginning the first day!

I saw this earlier today! I'm so happy!!! I was contemplating how I would even study back at home...

For those who haven't read it yet, the email basically states that the orientation will be online, but small group classes will be in-person while big group meetings will be on Zoom.
 
Does that mean release from MD waitlist is coming soon? 🙁
My best guess is no. The MD/PhD program has like 2 students if I recall correctly. Perhaps a little more. I doubt they are ready to release the entire MD only waitlist..yet. That being said, given what they said about them having more students than seats atm, I wouldn't expect much movement, if any at all.
 
Hey everyone!
Just a heads up that I emailed them earlier this week to ask for any updates that were available. They said that they are still over their class size, but they are hoping for movement in the next week or so. They are very transparent about the process and appreciate continued interest, so if you have not reached out yet, it may be helpful to do so and see where things stand. There may be movement this week!
 
Hey everyone!
Just a heads up that I emailed them earlier this week to ask for any updates that were available. They said that they are still over their class size, but they are hoping for movement in the next week or so. They are very transparent about the process and appreciate continued interest, so if you have not reached out yet, it may be helpful to do so and see where things stand. There may be movement this week!

Hopefully there’s movement!!!
I’d take it with a little grain of salt — I asked almost 3 weeks ago and received a similar response.

Good luck to everyone!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hey everyone!
Just a heads up that I emailed them earlier this week to ask for any updates that were available. They said that they are still over their class size, but they are hoping for movement in the next week or so. They are very transparent about the process and appreciate continued interest, so if you have not reached out yet, it may be helpful to do so and see where things stand. There may be movement this week!
Thank you so much for sharing this update!
 
Hi everyone!

I inquired yesterday about wait list movement and received a similar email to those received by previous posters, but with one critical (I think!) difference.

In their response they said they are "currently holding at exactly class size" and anticipate movement this week. Of course, these things can never be 100% predicted but there is some hope!

Best of luck to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we think they expanded their zoom limits or people who were the overenrolled N dropped? (Sorry for the sarcasm just going out of my mind with waitlist anxiety!)
 
Hi everyone!

I inquired yesterday about wait list movement and received a similar email to those received by previous posters, but with one critical (I think!) difference.

In their response they said they are "currently holding at exactly class size" and anticipate movement this week. Of course, these things can never be 100% predicted but there is some hope!

Best of luck to everyone!
Thanks for sharing with the squad! Thats good news
 
Also received a reply to my email earlier this week. There has been very little movement thus far and they do not expect much movement going forward (although they acknowledged it will be hard to exactly predict what is exactly going to happen).

EDIT: Is it possible they are telling students different things based on their individual chances of getting off the WL?
 
Last edited:
Also received a reply to my email earlier this week. There has been very little movement thus far and they do not expect much movement going forward (although they acknowledged it will be hard to exactly predict what is exactly going to happen).

EDIT: Is it possible they are telling students different things based on their individual chances of getting off the WL?
Hmmm.. I'm inclined to say they wouldn't do that, but you never know! If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like they've indicated to you that they've had some wait list movement. Am I reading you correctly?
 
Hmmm.. I'm inclined to say they wouldn't do that, but you never know! If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like they've indicated to you that they've had some wait list movement. Am I reading you correctly?

Yeah I was not sure how to interpret "very little" movement but I think the way you phrased it is probably accurate.