2019-2020 Dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:

Please indicate your plans for the upcoming year

Please share something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application that you feel might be helpful to our Admissions Committee.

Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dartmouth has a pretty high tuition/fees at $65,383. Does anyone know if they include resources like issuing laptops for the incoming class?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Excited to finally get the chance to apply to Geisel! This has been my dream school so hoping to get some love...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Excited to finally get the chance to apply to Geisel! This has been my dream school so hoping to get some love...

Just hope I’m “quirky” enough, as gyngyn says.

They have pretty high tuition, but pretty dope FA system.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic... this paragraph here sucks for married people whose spouse doesn't work.

The financial aid packages of married students are arranged in such a way that the net earnings of the spouse may help to reduce the loan obligation of the student. The spouse's income, less taxes and child care allowance, where applicable, is considered a resource in determining the overall size of the loan portion of the financial aid package. Scholarship eligibility for married students is determined as if the student were single.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic... this paragraph here sucks for married people whose spouse doesn't work.

The financial aid packages of married students are arranged in such a way that the net earnings of the spouse may help to reduce the loan obligation of the student. The spouse's income, less taxes and child care allowance, where applicable, is considered a resource in determining the overall size of the loan portion of the financial aid package. Scholarship eligibility for married students is determined as if the student were single.

Maybe I’m interpreting it wrong, but it sounds like it’s worse for people whose spouse does work because the spouse is expected to contribute financially.

This is giving me CARS flashbacks.

What do you think the author meant by this?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Maybe I’m interpreting it wrong, but it sounds like it’s worse for people whose spouse does work because the spouse is expected to contribute financially.

Well, you get the money from your spouse working. Either way, not ideal... but I won't get divorced over it lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Scholarship eligibility is determined for students as if they were single, as in spouse income does not come in to play for scholarships.

And you are able to request both max COA and and increase in COA. They particularly emphasize that your personal FA is determined by meeting 1:1 with one of their aid officers, so it is much more customizable.

And since their FA above $45kish every year is our scholarship, they can adjust your COA whichever which way you ask.

secondary received, OOS. @PapaGuava

prompts are as follows:

Please share something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application that you feel might be helpful to our Admissions Committee.

Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

Reactions: 5 users
secondary received, OOS. @PapaGuava

prompts are as follows:

Are all 250 words?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like my first instinct for this essay, but it has very little to do with social justice or diversity, any thoughts on this?

I like my first instinct for this essay, but it has very little to do with social justice or diversity, any thoughts on this?

I’ll use my typical diversity essay for the 2nd prompt. My answer to the 3rd prompt is sort of tangentially related. You can PM for specifics if you want.

Just got it. Right when I leave the library to go camping. C’mon, Dartmouth...don’t you know it is a holiday tomorrow?

Application submitted and marked as complete, best of luck everyone!

the first two didn't have a limit on them, just had 0/0 word count, whereas the last one had 0/250 word count. I'm not sure if it's an error or not

IMG_6407.JPG

Here’s some clarification!

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone clarify what is meant by "the other"?

I'm understanding it to be similar to the traditional diversity essay, but reflecting on a certain experience in which you were either discriminated against in any way or a situation in which your *diverse trait* enabled you to have a significant impact(?). Someone please correct me if they are understanding it differently.

I'm understanding it to be similar to the traditional diversity essay, but reflecting on a certain experience in which you were either discriminated against in any way or a situation in which your *diverse trait* enabled you to have a significant impact(?). Someone please correct me if they are understanding it differently.

I think the question is applying to just about anything/any situation where you have been in the minority, and what you learned, etc. The first thing that comes to mind was when I worked on the labor and delivery floor and was one of three male employees - not sure how to discuss that in this light though.

edit: the first sentence of the question does make it seem like you should discuss what makes you diverse... so idk, my example probably doesnt work lol

I am taking it to mean something like the traditional diversity but where you have been a non-majority person. Like, I can (probably will) talk about how I am the same age as all of my classmates more or less (I am 24) but I can’t just up and do stuff because I have a child. And I don’t connect well with my peers because my stories are all about actual adult problems (paying the bills, work life balance, military stuff) as opposed to whatever it is the kids talk about these days...

Reactions: 4 users
I think the question is applying to just about anything/any situation where you have been in the minority, and what you learned, etc. The first thing that comes to mind was when I worked on the labor and delivery floor and was one of three male employees - not sure how to discuss that in this light though.

edit: the first sentence of the question does make it seem like you should discuss what makes you diverse... so idk, my example probably doesnt work lol

I think your broader definition could definitely work too, and like you said it really comes down to how you explain what you learned from the experience!

Last edited:
I am taking it to mean something like the traditional diversity but where you have been a non-majority person. Like, I can (probably will) talk about how I am the same age as all of my classmates more or less (I am 24) but I can’t just up and do stuff because I have a child. And I don’t connect well with my peers because my stories are all about actual adult problems (paying the bills, work life balance, military stuff) as opposed to whatever it is the kids talk about these days...

Oh snap, thanks MemeLord this was very helpful in my brainstorming. <3

I used the "anything else" prompt to talk about being LGBT.
I used the "the other" prompt to talk about when I was an LGBT atheist amongst a sea of conservative Christians.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of topics do you all think would be good to write about for the 2nd prompt?

-- Please share something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application that you feel might be helpful to our Admissions committee.

What kind of topics do you all think would be good to write about for the 2nd prompt?

-- Please share something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application that you feel might be helpful to our Admissions committee.
I treated it like a diversity essay, and just picked a unique experience that I didn't put in my primary.

I discussed my experiences going to camp in the whites and my motivations for attending Dartmouth SOM

anyone else not seeing the "get password" prompt?

I treated it like a diversity essay, and just picked a unique experience that I didn't put in my primary.
Do you think it would be appropriate to fit in an essay about an adversity (growing up without a father then reconnecting later on)

Do you think it would be appropriate to fit in an essay about an adversity (growing up without a father then reconnecting later on)
I think that would be something great to write about if it isn't mentioned or reflected on anywhere else.

So I was a music major, and I'm considering posting a link to my senior recital recording with some kind of description for the second prompt. Would this be inadvisable?

So I was a music major, and I'm considering posting a link to my senior recital recording with some kind of description for the second prompt. Would this be inadvisable?
Music major as well applying to Dartmouth! I would avoid putting any direct links, while cool, better to just talk about it if you think it is worth it. Not sure how multimedia would come through, or what format Adcoms view apps in. It's your risk to take.

Yes, that is inadvisable. “Look at what I did” is not as good as “Listen to this story of how I grew from this.”

Yes. Why not just describe?
As well, I find it far more valuable to describe what you've gotten out of music and how you can contribute that to medicine and the diversity of the school, then just show it.

Submitted 7/4 and complete immediately upon submission.

Secondary submitted 7/7. Now the wait begins!:)

Question about their academic requirements. It says "...one year each (8 semester hours or equivalent)..." for bio and physics. My courses were only 3 semester hours each, so one year = 6 credits. Think that's what they mean by "or equivalent" ???

Question about their academic requirements. It says "...one year each (8 semester hours or equivalent)..." for bio and physics. My courses were only 3 semester hours each, so one year = 6 credits. Think that's what they mean by "or equivalent" ???
That is correct. If your one year was 6 credits, then that is the equivalent.