2012-2013 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1... this is the first post-interview news i've heard so it really stung...and is making me very very nervous for the rest of the schools i'm waiting to hear from sigh. this process keeps getting harder to handle :(

Hey, I would not worry too much about Georgetown. They Get too many applications and don't know what to do with them. It is bound to happen that good candidates will get rejected and waitlisted. Don't worry too much about it, and keep your head up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I would not worry too much about Georgetown. They Get too many applications and don't know what to do with them. It is bound to happen that good candidates will get rejected and waitlisted. Don't worry too much about it, and keep your head up.

thanks man... i'm just picturing 7 more rejections and crying inside because i thought the interview went really well and i felt that i was a good fit... sigh oh wells... will try to stay optimistic as you said and am really hoping the next school i hear from is at least a waitlist... otherwise i'll prlly sink into some hole of depression or something haha jk

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-interview rejection. Complete 10th of September.

+1, complete very end of September, stats in MDApps...wish they could have just sent a rejection email instead of a "go check your status!" email. Oh well...good luck to the rest of you!

Pre-interview rejection. Complete 10th of September.

+2 Complete 9/6. Thought I dodged a bullet since they sent out a big round of rejections of people complete around then last month. Guess not. Oh well, good luck to everyone else!

I didn't know admission offices were open on weekends. Rejected this morning, complete early November (although submitted in September). Good luck to everyone else!

Capped a few days ago. Was really hoping to get accepted directly, but I was not surprised as Ms. Sullivan had made it pretty clear on interview day that many of us would have to write an LOI.

For those who have interviewed... Do you remember if Ms. Sullivan specified how long the LOI should be?

I'm having a bit of trouble with mine because although Georgetown is my 1st choice school and I really, really, want to go there, I feel that I expressed myself best with the "Why Georgetown" essay I submitted for the secondary. I don't want to seem like I am simply repeating what I had said before, but at the same time everything I would say I have said already...

So I interviewed a little over a month ago, and am expecting to hear back in a few weeks but I am wondering if I should send an LOI before I hear back to try to help my chances of getting accepted instead of CAP'd or even rejected. Or should I just wait until I hear back and most likely get CAP'd before writing the LOI?

Any help is appreciated! Good luck everyone!

Rejected. Went here for undergrad with a 3.9 gpa, 34 MCAT, and solid extracurriculars. Oh well, wasn't my first choice and I got accepted to a better local school anyways

Good luck to everyone else

So I interviewed a little over a month ago, and am expecting to hear back in a few weeks but I am wondering if I should send an LOI before I hear back to try to help my chances of getting accepted instead of CAP'd or even rejected. Or should I just wait until I hear back and most likely get CAP'd before writing the LOI?

Any help is appreciated! Good luck everyone!

Along with my thank you letter to my interviewer, I sent an email to Mrs. Sullivan thanking her for the interview day and expressing how much I loved Georgetown. She said that she put my email and my thank you letter in my file for when it would be reviewed.

I was straight up accepted, so it might not be a bad idea to send a LOI before your file is reviewed! It seemed to work well for me :)

Along with my thank you letter to my interviewer, I sent an email to Mrs. Sullivan thanking her for the interview day and expressing how much I loved Georgetown. She said that she put my email and my thank you letter in my file for when it would be reviewed.

I was straight up accepted, so it might not be a bad idea to send a LOI before your file is reviewed! It seemed to work well for me :)

I agree with this. I thought the interview went very well and I should have written at least a thank you note. But I got lazy thinking that I was going to get in for sure... Learn from this person and my mistake

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with this. I thought the interview went very well and I should have written at least a thank you note. But I got lazy thinking that I was going to get in for sure... Learn from this person and my mistake

For those of you getting in most recently, when were your interview dates? I interviewed early November and anticipating an admissions email! Thanks

For those of you getting in most recently, when were your interview dates? I interviewed early November and anticipating an admissions email! Thanks

Depending on how early, I believe they are reviewing files from early November on Thursday and we'll hear back by mid-next week.

Does anyone know if Georgetown awards any need-based grants/scholarships and if so, how substantial might they be? Thanks for any and all info...

Does anyone know if Georgetown awards any need-based grants/scholarships and if so, how substantial might they be? Thanks for any and all info...

I asked this question a lot during my interview day and the general answer was "good luck." I know they give out a number of small scholarships/grants, but they don't typically amount to more than a couple thousand dollars per semester. If you are from a background that might be considered "financially disadvantaged" you will probably have a better shot at getting some good financial aid.

Does anyone know when the next round of IIs are going out? It seems like its been ages since the last batch.

I just withdrew from the "competitive applicant pool." Hopefully this will make the waitlist a little less competitive for the rest of you. :) I simply do not have the desire to initiate a letter writing campaign when I'm already happy with the places I've been accepted. Ms. Sullivan herself said in most circumstances we should choose our state school over Georgetown.

I still have the notes I took from Ms. Sullivan's lecture, and they might be helpful to those of you who are writing letters of interest. PM me if you'd like me to send them your way.

I did the same thing, thank you to my interviewer and to Ms. Sullivan and was straight up rejected lol

Did the same and I was waitlisted, so guess it might not mean much

i sent sullivan a letter and was accepted. three similar tactics with three different outcomes. looks like it doesn't matter if you send thank yous.

If I interviewed the first week in November, should I have received an email by now?

I got an email telling me my decision was available but I can't find any links on my secondary application.

Interviewed Nov. 8th, and just received news today that I have been CAP'ed.

How many dates do they review at each adcom meeting? I know it's 80 applications, but how many dates of interviews is that from?

Anyone keeping a running list of everyone who's been accepted?

Anyone keeping a running list of everyone who's been accepted?

I quickly looked through and here's the names I saw

Espagueti
Justanthrpremed
Cjc71
Ajs08029
Desphil
AFER

Hi guys I was recently placed on the cap list can someone refresh my memory about the LOI we need to send in? How long should it be? Who should it be addressed to? Who do we email it to? Thanks for your help!

I just withdrew from the "competitive applicant pool." Hopefully this will make the waitlist a little less competitive for the rest of you. :) I simply do not have the desire to initiate a letter writing campaign when I'm already happy with the places I've been accepted. Ms. Sullivan herself said in most circumstances we should choose our state school over Georgetown.

I still have the notes I took from Ms. Sullivan's lecture, and they might be helpful to those of you who are writing letters of interest. PM me if you'd like me to send them your way.

especially when your state school is UNC, one of the best in the country.. congrats on your acceptance!

Hi guys I was recently placed on the cap list can someone refresh my memory about the LOI we need to send in? How long should it be? Who should it be addressed to? Who do we email it to? Thanks for your help!

Address the letter to Anne O'Donnell, MD (chair of the adcom) and email it to Mrs. Sullivan as a pdf attachment and she will make sure it gets to Dr. O'Donnell. I'm not sure if length is critical but a lot of people here are saying 3 paragraphs, I think any more than 2 pages isn't necessary. Mrs. Sullivan will get back to you after you send the LOI, saying you're in a "letter writer pool" where all remaining acceptances will be issued.

I'm interviewing on Jan. 22nd, does anyone have any advice?! Was the interview formal or relaxed? Conversational? Did they ask any healthcare or ethical questions? Any info will be great, thank you!!

does anyone who interviewed here remember the process -- like for example...we're supposed to WAIT for Georgetown's decision before sending an LOI, correct?

I went back through the threads to try to figure this out but I'm still not sure...

Is the "optional breakfast" that people keep mentioning at 8:30am or does the official interview day begin at 8:30 with the breakfast taking place beforehand? I definitely want to attend the breakfast, but the email didn't give any details.

Also, anyone interviewing next monday (1/7)? :)

Happy New Year everyone!!

Anyone know when the next decision day is? Interviewed mid-Nov and they said they'd let us know early Jan

Anyone know if sending UPDATE letters, not letters of interest/intent, post-interview but pre-decision is acceptable?

For current students, I recall a MS2 that said she lives in Alexandria by the guts bus line. She said it was considerably cheaper to live out there. What are "cheaper" places that med students live (that are reasonably safe locations)? I'm assuming these are apartment buildings. any idea of the monthly rates of these places?

Also, how many students actually spend $1650 on books? In college I always bought text books but I never used them so I'm curious if there are med students that don't ever use the books either.

Status
Not open for further replies.