2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same deal. 3.6/34. First rejection. First of many, but not all hopefully. :xf:

Rejected pre-secondary! I'm OOS and have a 3.7/34. This is one of the few schools I wasn't going to send secondaries to, anyway, but I'm just sad that they rejected me before I could reject them.

same herrrrre. 3.74/35. oh well, cant get into them all!

Sorry to hear that guys. Looks like they're rejecting high/specific OOS stats (~3.7/34).
I'll probably be getting my pre-secondary rejection soon. My stats are nowhere close to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

So if we don't get a rejection email today, does that mean we will be getting a secondary? Looking at last year's thread, it seems like all the rejection emails were sent out on the same day. I'm OOS, 3.7/34, so this is perhaps wishful thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its way too early to assume that. They could just be sending out rejections in batches.

Did any IS get any news, good or bad, yet?

No news here. I was getting anxious last week since last year's thread showed secondaries going out on the 18th, but I guess this is just a lesson in patience. It's ok, IU, I will wait for you. :)

has anyone sent in their transcripts? I had a meeting at the admission office and they said to send official transcripts. Do we do that now?

has anyone sent in their transcripts? I had a meeting at the admission office and they said to send official transcripts. Do we do that now?

What? I've always heard "sending in official transcripts to med schools" applied to certain schools for applicants once they've been accepted. Are you sure you are not confusing yourself with this?

Well they must not be that strict about stats because I have a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA as an OOS applicant and I didn't see a rejection yet.

-cj8

Yeah I'm sure they want official transcripts when you apply before you are accepted. But it's part of the secondary app that people get when they're going to get interviewed I guess. So I don't think it's a big deal right now. Have they sent secondaries yet? I'm still waiting for my mcat scores

Wow, Indiana is harsh! I'm OOS c3.6, s3.76, 32 and they haven't dropped the guillotine on me yet.

what is the average admitted in-state student profile like?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected just now. I scheduled an appointment with an admissions officer, because I felt I was really competitive here.

Rejected just now. I scheduled an appointment with an admissions officer, because I felt I was really competitive here.

Sorry to hear. I thought I remember reading in one of your previous posts that you are OOS but lived most of your life in Indiana right? If this is true then maybe you didn't make that point clear enough to IU?

First rejection! You always remember your first.

REEEEJECTED! First one. Whatever Indiana. Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear. I thought I remember reading in one of your previous posts that you are OOS but lived most of your life in Indiana right? If this is true then maybe you didn't make that point clear enough to IU?

I wrote them a multiple page letter explaining my specific ties to the state, which they said to me in phone interview was appropriate. Its a shame that I get love from other places and not from my "home" state. Would love to come back

Sorry about that, I'm expecting the same soon here as well.
When did you submit?

7/6, I think. I'm OOS (WI) as well, so I wasn't exactly surprised by the rejection.

Good luck to everyone else!

just wondering if any fellow IS EDP'ers cared to share whether or not they've heard anything/test scores and gpa? I'm just trying to get a good idea of what is considered competitive!

Interview invite/secondary received.

Got the secondary/interview invite today! So excited!

just wondering if any fellow IS EDP'ers cared to share whether or not they've heard anything/test scores and gpa? I'm just trying to get a good idea of what is considered competitive!

Their stats aren't very high on MSAR. 27-36 MCAT. I think they just favor IS heavily. They have rejected plenty of OOS with MCAT scores in the 90th%.

Haven't hear anything good nor anything bad from the three school's I've applied to that have sent out invites so far. I better get hunkered down for a year of waiting...

Good luck to those of you with IIs!

Called today and spoke to an admissions officer. My feeling from the conversation is if you're OOS this school REALLY emphasizes strong gpa, seems to weigh strong MCATs less heavily. Ties to the state aren't enough to make up for deficiencies in academic profile, and your extracurricular stuff are not super important. FYI

Are you an Indiana resident? You said you lived most of your life in Indiana right, so are they not considering kids that went OOS for college IS even if they're residents?

Are you an Indiana resident? You said you lived most of your life in Indiana right, so are they not considering kids that went OOS for college IS even if they're residents?

Whoa whoa, hold up! I hope that's not true. I went to college OOS but my parents live in Indiana, I came home every summer and vacation. IU will consider me IS right?

If your official state of residency is Indiana then I don't see why they would consider you OOS

If your official state of residency is Indiana then I don't see why they would consider you OOS

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm assuming Pirates1992 listed a different state as legal residence?

Does receiving a supplemental automatically mean interview invite?

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm assuming Pirates1992 listed a different state as legal residence?

Listed as a Michigan resident but lived in Indiana for over 9 years, quite a bit more than I've lived in Michigan. Either way I think the GPA issue holds for most applicants, their matriculant average is 3.72

I didn't think I had any chance of landing an interview as an out-of-stater after reading the comments above, but I just received the secondary/interview invite. They are definitely looking at more than GPA and MCAT.

Just got the secondary/interview invite this morning! IS EDP :)

Another IS EDP here, and I got my interview invite/supplementary materials email today. If anyone was wondering, they offer interviews at Indianapolis, Muncie, and Gary.

Also, no supplemental essays. Pretty quick. I just submitted it.

They do require you to mail in two forms (one about who your 3 LOR writers are [1 personal, 1 science, 1 non-science] and one about legal matters) and you have to have the dean of students verify your discipline history which they mail in.

Just got the Supplemental email! This is my first interview, so excited!

http://medicine.iu.edu/files/9313/1885/4404/Factsheet_11-12.pdf

Another IS EDP here, and I got my interview invite/supplementary materials email today. If anyone was wondering, they offer interviews at Indianapolis, Muncie, and Gary.

All interviews are done in Indy, if you are accepted you will be able to choose which campuses you prefer to be at or go into a lottery to try and get the Indy campus (if you aren't chosen you are randomly assigned).

Also those of you who haven't received interviews yet, don't get down on yourself about it, have some hope. I didn't get an interview invite last year until the last month and ended up getting in a month after my interview. Just stay positive and keep yourself busy.

. and you have to have the dean of students verify your discipline history which they mail in.

Lol wut? Everyone who gets the supplemental has to have a letter from the Dean of Students verifying your discipline history? Or is this if you indicated an infraction?

Congrats on the invites guys!

http://medicine.iu.edu/files/9313/1885/4404/Factsheet_11-12.pdf

All interviews are done in Indy, if you are accepted you will be able to choose which campuses you prefer to be at or go into a lottery to try and get the Indy campus (if you aren't chosen you are randomly assigned).

This is what I thought too but they must have changed it because the email I got clearly states that they are now offering regional interviews at two other campuses besides Indy.

Also just making sure, if we have a committee letter we only put one name on our Letter Form, the name of the person writing submitting the packet, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.