2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I thought too but they must have changed it because the email I got clearly states that they are now offering regional interviews at two other campuses besides Indy.

Also just making sure, if we have a committee letter we only put one name on our Letter Form, the name of the person writing submitting the packet, right?

Oh that is something new, do you get to choose to do a regional interview or one at the main campus? A regional interview would probably be easier in terms of parking/getting around. I would have done that for sure if I had the choice.

Yeah that is what you should do if you have a committee letter.

Good luck to you and all others in this thread, my interview was pretty laid back, just make sure you read up on the competency based curriculum, and read up on some medical ethics/healthcare reform stuff just in case your interviewers throw some of that your way, other than that just be able to speak intelligently about your application and you should be good.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol wut? Everyone who gets the supplemental has to have a letter from the Dean of Students verifying your discipline history? Or is this if you indicated an infraction?

Congrats on the invites guys!

Thanks! I'm ridiculously excited! :)

All applicants who are invited for an interview have to return the Dean of Students Evaluation prior to an interview being scheduled. The forms are all in the supplemental packet.

Thanks! I'm ridiculously excited! :)

All applicants who are invited for an interview have to return the Dean of Students Evaluation prior to an interview being scheduled. The forms are all in the supplemental packet.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have an invite yet but appreciate the heads up just in case I do get one:xf:

Happy for you buddy. good luck:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so if our school is sending a committee packet, we only have to put one name, and that's it? Whose name do we put? The committee letter writer? And where do we put it? On the first section for the person who has never taught us? Also, I don't see a link for the IU graduate school application. Where is it? I also tried to log in to get my application status, but I don't know how to get a username and password.

An help would be really appreciated.

OK, so if our school is sending a committee packet, we only have to put one name, and that's it? Whose name do we put? The committee letter writer? And where do we put it? On the first section for the person who has never taught us? Also, I don't see a link for the IU graduate school application. Where is it? I also tried to log in to get my application status, but I don't know how to get a username and password.

Not sure about the committee letter. But the link to the graduate school application should be in the e-mail with the supplemental materials. Either way, here it is: http://www.iupui.edu/~gradoff/admissions/. You have to click "Apply now" on the left side, and then just follow directions from there.

I completed the graduate school application, and I still could not get my application status, so maybe they wait until all your other stuff is in before they update that?? I'm not sure though...

Hopefully that helps.

I just called them, and they said that IU will not download an entire committee packet and that we can only send three letters. I think have to have my pre med office send individual letters and now I have to designate new letters in AMCAS. This is so annoying.

Oh that is something new, do you get to choose to do a regional interview or one at the main campus? A regional interview would probably be easier in terms of parking/getting around. I would have done that for sure if I had the choice.

I'm not close enough to any of the interview sites to drive in the morning of, so I'll be staying overnight the night before. I was thinking of just choosing Indy because it will be easier to find close hotels, but then I read your post. Could you give me more details about what an Indy interview is like as far as logistics (parking, how much walking, ease of finding where I'm going)? And also what you feel the benefits of a regional interview would be? I'm very interested in any thoughts on this.

? I also tried to log in to get my application status, but I don't know how to get a username and password.

To log in, go to the applicant portal via the link in the email. Initially, it asks for IU Credentials, but if you look in the instructions on the page, there is a login link for AAMC credentials. Click that and the page will then as for your AAMC ID, last 4 of SSN, and birth date. I got right in, so I hope this helps.

Wait really? it said in the email that they would take committee letters and to just follow the instructions on the letter of evaluation form.. so now im super confused.

Wait really? it said in the email that they would take committee letters and to just follow the instructions on the letter of evaluation form.. so now im super confused.

yeah I saw that too, I'm also confused. I think I'm just going to wait until Monday and figure it out then. I might have to call IU back again to clarify.

Yeah I might call too. I'll post whenever I talk to them and let y'all know what they say

It clearly says that they accept committee letters, don't they? Isn't that why the form has a checklist section for committee letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
It clearly says that they accept committee letters, don't they? Isn't that why the form has a checklist section for committee letters?

So then how do we fill out the form that asks to list three letters?

Oh, I forgot to mention my stats for all IS people who are nervous about getting an interview bc of low numbers.

29 3.58/3.48

From what my friend has told me about IU, they tend to interview a TON of IS students before doing any real accepting. Something like 83% of all IS students that apply are invited for interviews.

From what my friend has told me about IU, they tend to interview a TON of IS students before doing any real accepting. Something like 83% of all IS students that apply are invited for interviews.

Yeah but it is also a very large class so they end up accepting a large amount of interviewees also. I don't have the numbers off hand but I think they accept >50% of those who interview.

Yeah but it is also a very large class so they end up accepting a large amount of interviewees also. I don't have the numbers off hand but I think they accept >50% of those who interview.

According to the MSAR, 689 residents applied last year, 572 were interviewed, and 251 attended. I would assume that this means that somewhere near 300-400 were accepted, if 251 of them attended

According to the MSAR, 689 residents applied last year, 572 were interviewed, and 251 attended. I would assume that this means that somewhere near 300-400 were accepted, if 251 of them attended

Yep my thoughts exactly.

So then how do we fill out the form that asks to list three letters?
Well, on it it says to list three people. If you are getting a committee packet, but don't know who wrote the letters, then check the first box. If you do, then check the second, and write down the names of those who you want them to download.

The thing their point was that they would not download the WHOLE packet, but they would only download the letters of it that you signified.

Well, on it it says to list three people. If you are getting a committee packet, but don't know who wrote the letters, then check the first box. If you do, then check the second, and write down the names of those who you want them to download.

The thing their point was that they would not download the WHOLE packet, but they would only download the letters of it that you signified.

+1, that's what they told me when I called today. Just put down the names of the letters you want them to evaluate

According to US News, they accepted 333 in-staters. For us out-of-staters: interviewed 296; accepted 183; matriculated 55.

I'm not close enough to any of the interview sites to drive in the morning of, so I'll be staying overnight the night before. I was thinking of just choosing Indy because it will be easier to find close hotels, but then I read your post. Could you give me more details about what an Indy interview is like as far as logistics (parking, how much walking, ease of finding where I'm going)? And also what you feel the benefits of a regional interview would be? I'm very interested in any thoughts on this.

The interview day went like this: walk to the science building(I stayed in a hotel that was about 10 mins away), get your schedule, then walk to wherever your interview is located. I had to walk to Riley Hospital and find the specific room my interviewer was located in. Luckily it wasn't too hard to find (with the help of people along the way), but it could be depending on where they send you. At a regional interview I would guess that you could just park right by the building, walk in and the interview would most likely be in the building instead of having to walk around to another one looking for your interviewers. If you had to fly in and stay overnight, Indy would probably be your best bet, but if someone is close to a regional center a regional interview might be better logistics wise (if everything on the schedule is done in the regional center).

Have any OOS heard nothing yet--good or bad news? I haven't received a rejection or a supplement/interview email. How long do you think we'll have to wait to hear back?

Have any OOS heard nothing yet--good or bad news? I haven't received a rejection or a supplement/interview email. How long do you think we'll have to wait to hear back?

I'm OOS and (to my surprise) received an invite yesterday. I was verified in June.

received acknowledgment email on 7/13, still have not heard anything. OOS

OOS and have not heard anything yet except for the acknowledgement email.

Does anyone here (or any M1s) know what days of the week IU holds their interviews?

The interview day went like this: walk to the science building(I stayed in a hotel that was about 10 mins away), get your schedule, then walk to wherever your interview is located. I had to walk to Riley Hospital and find the specific room my interviewer was located in. Luckily it wasn't too hard to find (with the help of people along the way), but it could be depending on where they send you. At a regional interview I would guess that you could just park right by the building, walk in and the interview would most likely be in the building instead of having to walk around to another one looking for your interviewers. If you had to fly in and stay overnight, Indy would probably be your best bet, but if someone is close to a regional center a regional interview might be better logistics wise (if everything on the schedule is done in the regional center).

Thanks, PCS50! I'm still not sure which option will be best for me, but I really appreciate knowing more about Indy. If I go that route, at least I'll know to pack appropriate shoes. Being a girl can be complicated. :)

Thanks, PCS50! I'm still not sure which option will be best for me, but I really appreciate knowing more about Indy. If I go that route, at least I'll know to pack appropriate shoes. Being a girl can be complicated. :)

I would also like to know more about the interview day at Indianapolis.

My AMCAS app was finally processed this morning. Has IU been pretty quick about sending out the acknowledgement email?

My AMCAS app was finally processed this morning. Has IU been pretty quick about sending out the acknowledgement email?

It took me a few weeks after verification to receive their acknowledgment email, but that may have been because I was verified very early and they may not have started the process on their end yet.

I was verified on 6/19 and received my application receipt notification email on 7/12. My secondary arrived last week on 8/3. Maybe they're moving more quickly since they've processed the first batch of apps, but my guess is that you'll have at least a few weeks to exercise your waiting patiently skills. I'm EDP so I don't have any other schools to compare the processing time to. I've ended up increasing the intensity, duration, and frequency of my workouts to combat the stress of all the waiting. Hopefully soon I'll have an acceptance letter AND abs! :laugh::xf:

I've been busy all morning filling out the LOR form, other forms, sending IU my transcripts, photo, paying fee online, etc.. I was starting to get annoyed at IU for making us do all of this but then I realized that it wasn't all that bad. I'd rather send more information to schools once they decide to interview me rather than fill out secondaries and pay fees to schools that may never even interview me at all.

IU is doing things right!

Sorry to hear about the rejections :(; best of luck with the cycle!

I received the supplemental application materials this morning and immediately thought about how much stuff it was. Then I realized that this is in lieu of a long secondary application. I agree with Irish, Indiana does this right!

Acknowledgement email received today! Hoping for another II here, I love this school. :)

Rejected pre-secondary:

OOS MCAT > 34 GPA >3.5 & <3.8

Good luck everyone! Wish all the interviewees a lot of these :luck: :luck: :luck:

Last edited:
II - received receipt email 7/13

OOS

So for the interview we just send an email back with our name, Amcas number, and location.. Then they will tell us when the interview is? Do we get to choose between options or do they just send us the date? Are they going to wait until they get my transcripts and everything? I want to do my interview soon but I don't know how to tell them.. Can I request a date when I'll be in indiana?

Status
Not open for further replies.