2012-2013 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
About rec letter from a pastor. We've bounced around between churches since we moved 4 years ago. I am close with the leaders of our neighborhood house church that we attended for over a year, two years ago. They don't have a Letterhead or anything. Do you think that it would be useful to have him write a LOR for me, or should I go to my pastor from 5 years ago? How influential, overall, would it be to have a LOR from a spiritual leader?

Members don't see this ad :)
About rec letter from a pastor. We've bounced around between churches since we moved 4 years ago. I am close with the leaders of our neighborhood house church that we attended for over a year, two years ago. They don't have a Letterhead or anything. Do you think that it would be useful to have him write a LOR for me, or should I go to my pastor from 5 years ago? How influential, overall, would it be to have a LOR from a spiritual leader?

Use the LOR from the one that knows you best and can possibly give testimony to your character and beliefs. I am pretty sure they do not care too much about the letterhead. I was accepted this year and my pastoral LOR came from a high school teacher (not a pastor) that knew me well and he did not use a letterhead. The admissions committee did not say anything about it.

Use the LOR from the one that knows you best and can possibly give testimony to your character and beliefs. I am pretty sure they do not care too much about the letterhead. I was accepted this year and my pastoral LOR came from a high school teacher (not a pastor) that knew me well and he did not use a letterhead. The admissions committee did not say anything about it.

Do you have to have a pastor LOR? I was thinking of just using my research professors one since it is already on record

Thanks for the tip.

Reaction, it's definitely not required, but I know they mention it as a possibility on their website and I have heard that it is a good thing to offer. I wouldn't stress about it.

Thanks for the tip.

Reaction, it's definitely not required, but I know they mention it as a possibility on their website and I have heard that it is a good thing to offer. I wouldn't stress about it.

I mean the thing is my pastor just came from a different country and probably wouldn't be able to write a good letter (with proper grammar etc) thanks though

This is actually one of my dream schools.. I hope I matriculate here

Last edited:
I am planning to apply to Loma Linda in a future application cycle and was wondering what specific documents (if any) they require from you so that they can confirm your affiliation with the seventh-day adventist church. Or does it suffice to simply explain your affiliation in your secondary essays?

They accept students from diverse faiths. To the best of my knowledge, from what I've read, they don't require specific documentation of your religious affiliation.

About the pastor letter, since basically no other school asks for a letter of the sort and I'm going to be sending my letters through my school's system (in a packet), how would I get this one specific letter to Loma Linda without sending it everywhere else?

You can have the writer send it straight to AMCAS, where you then have control over which schools get it. Go to Letters in AMCAS, say Add Another Letter, fill out the form, and send it to your writer. Then your writer mails the letter in with the form and then it will be uploaded to your account. Then you add it to Loma Linda and they are the only ones who see it. Does that make sense? Once you get into AMCAS you will see how it works.

That's perfect!! Didn't know I could do that, awesome :) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
why are there so many short answer questions? ;)

Are they the same as last year? If not, could you please post the questions and character limits? Thanks!

Since I have them handy:

(1) Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)
(2) What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)
(3) What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)
(4) Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)
(5) What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)
(6) As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)
(7) Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)
(8) If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

Since I have them handy:

(1) Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)
(2) What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)
(3) What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)
(4) Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)
(5) What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)
(6) As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)
(7) Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)
(8) If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

There is one more about church involvement too. It's 750 characters.

True:
Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

It lacks the "required" asterisk so I assume it's optional, or "if applicable."

Oh wow I didnt even realize it was optional.

So Loma Linda likes to have letters of recommendations from pastors. How do you think getting my step-father to write letter of recommendation for me work if he is a pastor??

weezynation and bishu, thank you for answering! i would love to go to this school, its taking forever this year for primaries to get verified and i want to have this one ready to send out asap

Just got an email from them saying they received my secondary + payment. I'm pretty sure they received it a while ago, but maybe it's because I'm not a SDA.

Just got an email from them saying they received my secondary + payment. I'm pretty sure they received it a while ago, but maybe it's because I'm not a SDA.

I got the same thing today.

Does Loma Linda screen? AMCAS Verified July 23rd but nothing yet...

I dunno if they screen. anyone have any idea when II's go out for Loma Linda? Im going crazy here as we approach the II season.

z

I dunno if they screen. anyone have any idea when II's go out for Loma Linda? Im going crazy here as we approach the II season.

z

They've been out. I got mine back on July 6th. Maybe try calling them

So the secondary app has been down today and yesterday. Actually, parts of the Loma Linda website have been too.

Is anybody else encountering this? Just want to know if it's my computer or something.

Update: Yeah it's back up.

Last edited:

z

From their site - http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/application-process-and-timeline.page?

"Upon receipt of an AMCAS application (allowing up to 6 weeks after submission of the application to AMCAS), an email is sent inviting the applicant to complete a supplementary application. If this email invitation is not received within two weeks after notification from AMCAS that an application is verified, please call the Office of Admissions at 909.558.4467."

Just got a complete email this morning, and I don't know what to think of it.

"This is to advise that all of your recommendations have been received and your file is now complete. When your file has been reviewed, you will be notified of our decision by postal mail."

Slow rejection...?

Hey guys,

I recently recieved my secondary like many of you. When I skimming the secondary, I couldn't help but notice the abundance of "this is prohibited, that is forbidden" etc.

The main reason I applied to LL was due to its desirable Cali location. I love Cali! But if that means there is no social life (alcohol, tobacco, etc prohibited) then I don't think there would be that much to do at LL for extracurricular activities. Sure, there must be some, but what about good old fashion going out to a bar with friends? I tried to search around on the internet to get a sense of what LL as a city was like. I couldn't find much...

Also, I'm technically Methodist but not religious at all honestly. The "required" chapel attendance and religious classes kinda averts my interest from going to LL...

Does anyone else have the same feelings as I do??? What have people heard?

Just got a complete email this morning, and I don't know what to think of it.

"This is to advise that all of your recommendations have been received and your file is now complete. When your file has been reviewed, you will be notified of our decision by postal mail."

Slow rejection...?

I got the same e-mail this morning.

Hey guys,

I recently recieved my secondary like many of you. When I skimming the secondary, I couldn't help but notice the abundance of "this is prohibited, that is forbidden" etc.

The main reason I applied to LL was due to its desirable Cali location. I love Cali! But if that means there is no social life (alcohol, tobacco, etc prohibited) then I don't think there would be that much to do at LL for extracurricular activities. Sure, there must be some, but what about good old fashion going out to a bar with friends? I tried to search around on the internet to get a sense of what LL as a city was like. I couldn't find much...

Also, I'm technically Methodist but not religious at all honestly. The "required" chapel attendance and religious classes kinda averts my interest from going to LL...

Does anyone else have the same feelings as I do??? What have people heard?

I was raised as an Adventist and attended an Adventist highschool and college. I can tell you that Loma Linda is known for being progressive, and that their student body is a decent mix of world views. The required chapels are a hoop if you don't buy into it, the classes can be approach like any philosophy class. As long as you respect them (don't be a jerk), they won't as an institution, proselytize you. If you really take issue with it and have another option I would pursue it, but if you can take a deep breath and deal then they are a very valid option. Oh, and for those not raised in the community: you'll score points if you pronounce the name "Add-vint-ist" not Add-vEnt-ist.

I was raised as an Adventist and attended an Adventist highschool and college. I can tell you that Loma Linda is known for being progressive, and that their student body is a decent mix of world views. The required chapels are a hoop if you don't buy into it, the classes can be approach like any philosophy class. As long as you respect them (don't be a jerk), they won't as an institution, proselytize you. If you really take issue with it and have another option I would pursue it, but if you can take a deep breath and deal then they are a very valid option. Oh, and for those not raised in the community: you'll score points if you pronounce the name "Add-vint-ist" not Add-vEnt-ist.

This is pretty much the same thing I sent her/him in a PM, with some additional Cali information. But my response regarding the proselytization and general culture was speculation based on the religious Universities I've attended. (I'm Agnostic.) So it's great to hear that my presumptions are valid. :) Cheers and GL.

Does anyone know if LLU is responsive to letters of intent? Even though I'm not an SDA, it's pretty much my first choice and I would love to attend this school for my medical education.

Got that email today, too...not sure what it means...

It means your file is complete, and they'll let you know whether they want to interview you or not after they've reviewed your application. Pretty much exactly what it says :laugh:

This thread is dead!!!! Hopefully we get some action soon

Anyone know about how gays and lesbians are treated here? I know the above post says they are progressive, but how progressive. Lol. I'm gay and am applying to medical school in 2 years. I'm very active in a (Presbyterian) church, obviously very progressive church. hell I'm even an elder there and in a same sex relationship. So a pastor LOR wouldnt be an issue. My dad went to loma Linda (class of 95) so I had thought about applying there, but not sure how they would feel about gay people.

Anyone know about how gays and lesbians are treated here? I know the above post says they are progressive, but how progressive. Lol. I'm gay and am applying to medical school in 2 years. I'm very active in a (Presbyterian) church, obviously very progressive church. hell I'm even an elder there and in a same sex relationship. So a pastor LOR wouldnt be an issue. My dad went to loma Linda (class of 95) so I had thought about applying there, but not sure how they would feel about gay people.

Cheers for having the courage to ask this question. I know that the religion itself feels it's "unnatural." Although not myself gay, I was raised by a single LGBT parent. So I'd also be interested to hear a current student or alumn comment on this topic.

I received a "your file is now complete" email on 8/21. It told me to wait for their interview decision in the postal mail. Is anybody else at this stage? I am wondering how long it takes to get letter.

Does anyone know how long LLU takes to send a secondary? I have been complete for 2.5 weeks and still nothing from LLU. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.