2012-2013 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting on the secondary as well. This is my last one, so kind of excited and nervous at the same time. It's all up to my application now!

Now come on, NU, give me it so I can be done! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I got the secondary this morning. My AMCAS was verified 7/24 for reference.

Still waiting on the secondary

w0eQi.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Received mine this morning ~9:30. Added NU to my app about a week ago

I think post-secondary turnaround should be "quick-ish" at least at the beginning since FSM does begin interviewing on October 1!

The more I read about the FSM, the deeper I fall in love. Here's to hoping for an interview and an acceptance! Secondary just submitted yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been in since early July... still no secondary. :(

I don't understand why everyone didn't get it immediately... or at least keep it in order if they're stress-testing the system.

+2

2. Stress Management. Describe the coping skills (not problem solving skills) you use when confronted with difficult situations.

For this prompt, do you think they mean ways that you destress in general? or things that you do in the moment to help you deal with a stressful situation? I just am finding it hard to figure out what they mean by "coping skills!"

Submitted! Also officially done with secondaries :)

I would do terrible, terrible things to go to Northwestern... :laugh:

Is it a hard 300 word limit or did anyone go over by 10 or 20 words?

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to save your work constantly... Nothing turns a great secondary session sour faster than losing two hours of work and then cussing out your computer in the middle of a coffee shop. Not like that happened to me or anything...

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to save your work constantly... Nothing turns a great secondary session sour faster than losing two hours of work and then cussing out your computer in the middle of a coffee shop. Not like that happened to me or anything...

It's a good thing that didn't happen to you.

this is why google docs is amazing

I can't believe they JUST released the secondary! If I submit soon, is it appropriate to tell them immediately that I'm heading to Pritzker late October or do I have to give them a few weeks before I can do a "I'll be in the area" email? I can't afford the time and money to keep flying out there so if I can't pair that visit with Pritzker, there a good chance Northwestern is off my list :(

I can't believe they JUST released the secondary! If I submit soon, is it appropriate to tell them immediately that I'm heading to Pritzker late October or do I have to give them a few weeks before I can do a "I'll be in the area" email? I can't afford the time and money to keep flying out there so if I can't pair that visit with Pritzker, there a good chance Northwestern is off my list :(

Way to name drop Pritzker there...:smuggrin:

anyone know how strict they are on the 3 faculty letter requirement? I'm non-trad so my letters don't fit those categories...

Throwing my name in the hat with the rest of you. Just got the secondary request today! :)

Last edited:
Sadly considering not filling this secondary out....I already have 2 interviews and I've only heard from 3 schools out of 19....seems like a waste of time and money at this point, as much as I like their program.

Got the secondary today. I already have a couple of interviews lined up and just can't seem to get myself to write the essays. I think I will hold off on this one.

"Application Status:
Thank you! We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review."

Now the wait....

"Application Status:
Thank you! We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review."

Now the wait....

:thumbup:

Right there with you, bud.

"application status:
thank you! we have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review."

now the wait....

rudy rudy rudy rudy!!!!

Hey guys, I have a question about the 4th question: Describe the type of post-graduate training career that you envision. Be as specific as possible. Post-graduate training means residency not fellowship right?

So I gotta do a quick update after completing Week 2 of this new curriculum... :)

- Every day I am amazed at how well all the courses fit in with this new curriculum!! We learn science in the mornings. We get to see a patient interview on Monday mornings in our lecture room who often has a disease that relates to the science we will be learning that week and hear their experience. The physician conducting this patient interview will also bring in elements of clinical skills we'll be learning that week. We then go to a clinical education center and get to practice that specific skill with standarized patients (had that this week already!) Then we have Problem Based Learning that somehow features the science we have learned (although we haven't gotten around to too much in lecture). We have other stuff too like medical ethics, some elements of public health, and medical decision making courses... but this integrative-ness is incredible and so well thought-out.

- I will admit, our days are a little longer than we had thought. Previous years had 3 afternoons off; we have 2 afternoons off... We have longer afternoon sessions than the previous years. Still we are in session/class far less than schools that still have a 9-to-5 schedule. Also, I was informed that this is a result of the new curriculum trying to wrap up "preclinical years" in 20 months.

- You guys will have a slightly easier time than our class I hope! We are giving lots of feedback already to the administration about how the past 3.5 weeks have gone, and they are taking them into consideration. A big frustration for us was that (1) information wasn't available to us in advance as much as we would have liked since the school is still working on it, (2) we have no upperclassmen who have gone through the new curriculum. However, you guys won't have any of that!

- A plug for FSM is that it's right in downtown Chicago!!! :) AND by the beautiful lake/beach!!!!! Housing can be expensive (though didn't feel like it to me, coming from Boston), but there are cheaper options in surrounding neighborhoods that are easily commute-able by bus. By comparison, Pritzker is located in Hyde Park. Though it's technically "in Chicago," I think one will quickly find that it's pretty isolated from all the on-goings in downtown Chicago... for one, it's 7-9 miles south of downtown Chicago (with no good neighborhoods in between the two) so if you don't have a car, it takes about an hour to get to downtown by bus. By cab it's ~$15-20 per way to downtown. I personally felt that Hyde Park is sorta lacking in restaurants, bars, AND stores. Well, anyway, if anyone has the privilege of gaining admission to Pritzker, it's an awesome school I'm sure ;-)

I highly encourage you all to apply to FSM!!!! The curriculum has really changed a lot and I think it's even more fantastic than ever before.

Hey guys, I have a question about the 4th question: Describe the type of post-graduate training career that you envision. Be as specific as possible. Post-graduate training means residency not fellowship right?

confused here as well

What kind of doctor do you want to be? In what kind of setting?

Medical school is sometimes considered undergraduate medical education. Residency is graduate medical education. Then practicing as a licensed doc is post-graduate training (I think).

I think it's what do you want to do after post-graduate training. Not what kind of training do you want. That's how I read it anyway. So agreed with the post above me. I answered it as what's your ideal future situation as a physician.

aaaaaah i'm so secondaried out...i've already stalled on this one for three days! hope I get over my procrastination soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.