You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Northwestern University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Still waiting on the secondary
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still waiting as well- verified 7/20
Does everyone get a secondary sooner or later?
Does everyone get a secondary sooner or later?
Just got mine today...verified 6/5. Probably just rolling them out in batches, and I don't believe they screen.
Received mine this morning ~9:30. Added NU to my app about a week ago
received mine this morning ~9:30. Added nu to my app about a week ago
+1
I think post-secondary turnaround should be "quick-ish" at least at the beginning since FSM does begin interviewing on October 1!
Still waiting on the secondary
![]()
omg i love this haha! favorite cartoon when i was a kid!
The more I read about the FSM, the deeper I fall in love. Here's to hoping for an interview and an acceptance! Secondary just submitted yesterday.
Submitted secondary.
Submitted secondary.
wheres my secondary... -.-
Been in since early July... still no secondary. 🙁
I don't understand why everyone didn't get it immediately... or at least keep it in order if they're stress-testing the system.
+2
I don't understand why everyone didn't get it immediately... or at least keep it in order if they're stress-testing the system.
+2
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2. Stress Management. Describe the coping skills (not problem solving skills) you use when confronted with difficult situations.
For this prompt, do you think they mean ways that you destress in general? or things that you do in the moment to help you deal with a stressful situation? I just am finding it hard to figure out what they mean by "coping skills!"
For this prompt, do you think they mean ways that you destress in general? or things that you do in the moment to help you deal with a stressful situation? I just am finding it hard to figure out what they mean by "coping skills!"
Submitted! Done with secondaries! Whoop!
Submitted! Done with secondaries! Whoop!
Same! It's a good feeling.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using SDN Mobile
Is it a hard 300 word limit or did anyone go over by 10 or 20 words?
Hard limit. They won't let you submit unless you're within limits.
Hard limit. They won't let you submit unless you're within limits.
Bummer. Thanks
finally got secondary.
finally got secondary.
Same... finally done... now let the waiting game being!

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to save your work constantly... Nothing turns a great secondary session sour faster than losing two hours of work and then cussing out your computer in the middle of a coffee shop. Not like that happened to me or anything...
Just a friendly reminder to everyone to save your work constantly... Nothing turns a great secondary session sour faster than losing two hours of work and then cussing out your computer in the middle of a coffee shop. Not like that happened to me or anything...
It's a good thing that didn't happen to you.
Just a friendly reminder to everyone to save your work constantly... Nothing turns a great secondary session sour faster than losing two hours of work and then cussing out your computer in the middle of a coffee shop. Not like that happened to me or anything...
this is why google docs is amazing
I can't believe they JUST released the secondary! If I submit soon, is it appropriate to tell them immediately that I'm heading to Pritzker late October or do I have to give them a few weeks before I can do a "I'll be in the area" email? I can't afford the time and money to keep flying out there so if I can't pair that visit with Pritzker, there a good chance Northwestern is off my list 🙁
I can't believe they JUST released the secondary! If I submit soon, is it appropriate to tell them immediately that I'm heading to Pritzker late October or do I have to give them a few weeks before I can do a "I'll be in the area" email? I can't afford the time and money to keep flying out there so if I can't pair that visit with Pritzker, there a good chance Northwestern is off my list 🙁
Way to name drop Pritzker there...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone know how strict they are on the 3 faculty letter requirement? I'm non-trad so my letters don't fit those categories...
They have slightly different letter requirements for non-trads. http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/admissions/roles/nontraditional.html I'm a non-trad too, so I feel your frustration trying to get letters from professors we had ages ago!anyone know how strict they are on the 3 faculty letter requirement? I'm non-trad so my letters don't fit those categories...
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
"Application Status:
Thank you! We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review."
Now the wait....
Thank you! We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review."
Now the wait....
"Application Status:
Thank you! We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review."
Now the wait....
👍
Right there with you, bud.
"application status:
thank you! we have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review."
now the wait....
rudy rudy rudy rudy!!!!
rudy rudy rudy rudy!!!!
Aw shucks...
It's that time of year....👍👍
College football is back!!
college football is back!!
go irish!
So I gotta do a quick update after completing Week 2 of this new curriculum... 🙂
- Every day I am amazed at how well all the courses fit in with this new curriculum!! We learn science in the mornings. We get to see a patient interview on Monday mornings in our lecture room who often has a disease that relates to the science we will be learning that week and hear their experience. The physician conducting this patient interview will also bring in elements of clinical skills we'll be learning that week. We then go to a clinical education center and get to practice that specific skill with standarized patients (had that this week already!) Then we have Problem Based Learning that somehow features the science we have learned (although we haven't gotten around to too much in lecture). We have other stuff too like medical ethics, some elements of public health, and medical decision making courses... but this integrative-ness is incredible and so well thought-out.
- I will admit, our days are a little longer than we had thought. Previous years had 3 afternoons off; we have 2 afternoons off... We have longer afternoon sessions than the previous years. Still we are in session/class far less than schools that still have a 9-to-5 schedule. Also, I was informed that this is a result of the new curriculum trying to wrap up "preclinical years" in 20 months.
- You guys will have a slightly easier time than our class I hope! We are giving lots of feedback already to the administration about how the past 3.5 weeks have gone, and they are taking them into consideration. A big frustration for us was that (1) information wasn't available to us in advance as much as we would have liked since the school is still working on it, (2) we have no upperclassmen who have gone through the new curriculum. However, you guys won't have any of that!
- A plug for FSM is that it's right in downtown Chicago!!! 🙂 AND by the beautiful lake/beach!!!!! Housing can be expensive (though didn't feel like it to me, coming from Boston), but there are cheaper options in surrounding neighborhoods that are easily commute-able by bus. By comparison, Pritzker is located in Hyde Park. Though it's technically "in Chicago," I think one will quickly find that it's pretty isolated from all the on-goings in downtown Chicago... for one, it's 7-9 miles south of downtown Chicago (with no good neighborhoods in between the two) so if you don't have a car, it takes about an hour to get to downtown by bus. By cab it's ~$15-20 per way to downtown. I personally felt that Hyde Park is sorta lacking in restaurants, bars, AND stores. Well, anyway, if anyone has the privilege of gaining admission to Pritzker, it's an awesome school I'm sure ;-)
I highly encourage you all to apply to FSM!!!! The curriculum has really changed a lot and I think it's even more fantastic than ever before.
- Every day I am amazed at how well all the courses fit in with this new curriculum!! We learn science in the mornings. We get to see a patient interview on Monday mornings in our lecture room who often has a disease that relates to the science we will be learning that week and hear their experience. The physician conducting this patient interview will also bring in elements of clinical skills we'll be learning that week. We then go to a clinical education center and get to practice that specific skill with standarized patients (had that this week already!) Then we have Problem Based Learning that somehow features the science we have learned (although we haven't gotten around to too much in lecture). We have other stuff too like medical ethics, some elements of public health, and medical decision making courses... but this integrative-ness is incredible and so well thought-out.
- I will admit, our days are a little longer than we had thought. Previous years had 3 afternoons off; we have 2 afternoons off... We have longer afternoon sessions than the previous years. Still we are in session/class far less than schools that still have a 9-to-5 schedule. Also, I was informed that this is a result of the new curriculum trying to wrap up "preclinical years" in 20 months.
- You guys will have a slightly easier time than our class I hope! We are giving lots of feedback already to the administration about how the past 3.5 weeks have gone, and they are taking them into consideration. A big frustration for us was that (1) information wasn't available to us in advance as much as we would have liked since the school is still working on it, (2) we have no upperclassmen who have gone through the new curriculum. However, you guys won't have any of that!
- A plug for FSM is that it's right in downtown Chicago!!! 🙂 AND by the beautiful lake/beach!!!!! Housing can be expensive (though didn't feel like it to me, coming from Boston), but there are cheaper options in surrounding neighborhoods that are easily commute-able by bus. By comparison, Pritzker is located in Hyde Park. Though it's technically "in Chicago," I think one will quickly find that it's pretty isolated from all the on-goings in downtown Chicago... for one, it's 7-9 miles south of downtown Chicago (with no good neighborhoods in between the two) so if you don't have a car, it takes about an hour to get to downtown by bus. By cab it's ~$15-20 per way to downtown. I personally felt that Hyde Park is sorta lacking in restaurants, bars, AND stores. Well, anyway, if anyone has the privilege of gaining admission to Pritzker, it's an awesome school I'm sure ;-)
I highly encourage you all to apply to FSM!!!! The curriculum has really changed a lot and I think it's even more fantastic than ever before.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I have a question about the 4th question: Describe the type of post-graduate training career that you envision. Be as specific as possible. Post-graduate training means residency not fellowship right?
confused here as well
Hey guys, I have a question about the 4th question: Describe the type of post-graduate training career that you envision. Be as specific as possible. Post-graduate training means residency not fellowship right?
What kind of doctor do you want to be? In what kind of setting?
Medical school is sometimes considered undergraduate medical education. Residency is graduate medical education. Then practicing as a licensed doc is post-graduate training (I think).
I think it's what do you want to do after post-graduate training. Not what kind of training do you want. That's how I read it anyway. So agreed with the post above me. I answered it as what's your ideal future situation as a physician.
Anyone know when MSTP interview dates are
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
