2012-2013 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back today!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received the phone call! ACCEPTED!!! SO EXCITED! Love OUWB :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Are you decided on OUWB then?

I'm not sure yet. I liked OUWB in terms of their curriculum, affiliation with the William Beaumont hospital system, and all the new facilities that will be built just in time for us but I'm a little nervous about the fact that it's a new school... we will see though. Are you for sure going to go to OUWB?

I'm not sure yet. I liked OUWB in terms of their curriculum, affiliation with the William Beaumont hospital system, and all the new facilities that will be built just in time for us but I'm a little nervous about the fact that it's a new school... we will see though. Are you for sure going to go to OUWB?
Haven't fully decided. I have some other options but I was definitely REALLY impressed by the school, curriculum, and culture on my interview day. I could definitely see myself there. As far as it being a new school I am not worried because of the Beaumont affiliation (they've been training physicians for 50+ years) and the new merger with Henry Ford is promising (although we do not know how that will work with WSU's strong ties to HF). I think in the end I will make my decision based on a combination of forecasted indebtedness upon graduation and my impression of the school from my interview day.

Haven't fully decided. I have some other options but I was definitely REALLY impressed by the school, curriculum, and culture on my interview day. I could definitely see myself there. As far as it being a new school I am not worried because of the Beaumont affiliation (they've been training physicians for 50+ years) and the new merger with Henry Ford is promising (although we do not know how that will work with WSU's strong ties to HF). I think in the end I will make my decision based on a combination of forecasted indebtedness upon graduation and my impression of the school from my interview day.

To this post, and the one above it, feel free to ask any questions about the school. I currently attend - there are reasons to really want to attend the school or not to attend (as with every school) but I wouldn't let it being a "new" school be one of those reasons to not attend - in fact, I strongly think it's a positive.

There are many reasons but just (very) briefly: 1) Beaumont, 2) Almost all (I add "almost" only to cover my bases...I feel like all have been involved in medical education) of our professors have taught before at other medical schools/been involved with medical education, 3) I have been even more impressed with the clinician professors we've had from Beaumont and the expertise they bring with them from all across the country and having been involved in medical education previously (Beaumont is incredibly excited about OUWB and this is very obvious), 4) two classes will have gone through it before you & we're all not just surviving but in my opinion from talking to peers at other med schools just as prepared, if not more prepared (I've definitely done more clinical stuff already than most of my friends at other med schools at this point of first year), 5) and this upcoming year will be the best yet since all of the construction projects seem set to be complete by Fall 2013.

Rejected today via email, pre-interview. Best of luck to everyone else! Lately, most of my rejections have been countered by ii's haha so let's hope for another ii.

To this post, and the one above it, feel free to ask any questions about the school. I currently attend - there are reasons to really want to attend the school or not to attend (as with every school) but I wouldn't let it being a "new" school be one of those reasons to not attend - in fact, I strongly think it's a positive.

There are many reasons but just (very) briefly: 1) Beaumont, 2) Almost all (I add "almost" only to cover my bases...I feel like all have been involved in medical education) of our professors have taught before at other medical schools/been involved with medical education, 3) I have been even more impressed with the clinician professors we've had from Beaumont and the expertise they bring with them from all across the country and having been involved in medical education previously (Beaumont is incredibly excited about OUWB and this is very obvious), 4) two classes will have gone through it before you & we're all not just surviving but in my opinion from talking to peers at other med schools just as prepared, if not more prepared (I've definitely done more clinical stuff already than most of my friends at other med schools at this point of first year), 5) and this upcoming year will be the best yet since all of the construction projects seem set to be complete by Fall 2013.
Thanks for the insight! Everyone I talk to who currently goes to OUWB seems to love it there...still there has to be some drawbacks to the school. What would you say is a negative aspect(s) of the school? (other than the potential drawbacks that come with a new school, etc, bc we all know what those are or could be and as you previously stated the newness could also be seen as a positive). Also, what is the one thing you wish you had known about OUWB before attending or deciding on a medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight! Everyone I talk to who currently goes to OUWB seems to love it there...still there has to be some drawbacks to the school. What would you say is a negative aspect(s) of the school? (other than the potential drawbacks that come with a new school, etc, bc we all know what those are or could be and as you previously stated the newness could also be seen as a positive). Also, what is the one thing you wish you had known about OUWB before attending or deciding on a medical school?

Rochester Hills and Royal Oak are different and even then, Royal Oak is still no where close to a "city" so if that is the type of environment you like / more urban / public transportation, OUWB is not for you. It's easy to focus on school and I've found this among my classmates. There really are not many distractions in the area. That is more of a "suburban-specific" med school critique, not OUWB-specific. The only times, to be honest, I've felt that suburbia "nothing to do" feeling has been on breaks. But, it definitely is something to consider.

I wish I had known about the specific attendance policy; from what I have gathered this is being made clearly known to the current interviewees (at least I hope so). For us, however, this was not the case and was a surprise to many of us.

There really isn't too much to complain about though - I've never had greater accessibility to professors; peers are nice; tests are fair (pass/fail/honors with no cap on # of students that get honors); safe area; lots of trails in the area; all the facilities are new or about to be new; etc.

The only downside I've felt is very occasionally wishing I wasn't in Rochester Hills but as I said, and I really mean it, it is easy to focus on med school which is a huge plus as I'm sure any student out of college can attest to is sometimes difficult when in a fun or distracting environment.

Thanks for the info on OUWB, chasing5. I'm a little worried about going to school in a suburban location with nothing to do since I've lived in large metropolitan areas my whole life, but how feasible is it to go to Detroit or another city in the area with things to do during weekends with lighter workloads? Do students tend to go out on the weekends, and what do they do? And is a car a necessity? It seems so based on the students I've talked to.

Thanks for the info on OUWB, chasing5. I'm a little worried about going to school in a suburban location with nothing to do since I've lived in large metropolitan areas my whole life, but how feasible is it to go to Detroit or another city in the area with things to do during weekends with lighter workloads? Do students tend to go out on the weekends, and what do they do? And is a car a necessity? It seems so based on the students I've talked to.

I am currently looking at the Ferndale area which is south of Royal Oak. Yes a bit of more commute to school but there are more things to do in Ferndale as compared to the suburban feel of Rochester. It still doesn't compare to being in a city like Chicago or New York, but honestly there isn't a city in Michigan that does.

I am currently looking at the Ferndale area which is south of Royal Oak. Yes a bit of more commute to school but there are more things to do in Ferndale as compared to the suburban feel of Rochester. It still doesn't compare to being in a city like Chicago or New York, but honestly there isn't a city in Michigan that does.

Some people do live near Royal Oak area and they seem fine; I find it more convenient to live close to OU for the first two years and then move. Detroit is very fun and only 25 minutes away.

A car is definitely a necessity, even if you live on campus.

On the weekends people will either do something at someone's apartment, go to a bar in Rochester Hills, or Royal Oak for clubs/bars. I can't tell you about how it changes 3rd/4th year when people move down towards Royal Oak ("going out" opportunities probably open up then since also closer to Detroit).

Anyone rejected after having an interview? does it come via email or snailmail?
still hoping for the best but I want to know just in case

AH accepted this morning!!!! First one and it feels so good :soexcited:

Got a call at 9 am (Cali time). First MD acceptance! Feels awesome!!!!

To those who were accepted today, what day did you interview? Thanks!

Interviewed Jan 25. Keep your hopes up. OUWB reviews every 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month, and they said they might not be able to go through all the apps in one day so Feb 20 is a more realistic date.

Thanks everyone!! I interviewed Nov 9th, so it's definitely been a while. Also OOS. Try to keep your hopes up, it'll happen when you least expect it!

Thanks everyone!! I interviewed Nov 9th, so it's definitely been a while. Also OOS. Try to keep your hopes up, it'll happen when you least expect it!

Congrats! You're the first interviewee I've seen so far (at least on SDN), that was accepted a few months after their interview. It seems like up until now, most of the applicants that received offers of acceptance after each meeting were ones that had just recently interviewed.

Congrats! You're the first interviewee I've seen so far (at least on SDN), that was accepted a few months after their interview. It seems like up until now, most of the applicants that received offers of acceptance after each meeting were ones that had just recently interviewed.
Thanks! I wouldn't say SDN is really the best marker of reality, but either way I think they may be starting to consider past interviewees more now because, according to their website, they have filled nearly all the interview spots for this cycle (http://www.oakland.edu/medicine/admissions/interviews)

Does anyone know if OUWB has organizations working specifically within underserved communities? That's my area of interest. Still deciding if I want to eventually pursue an MPH.

This is a weird request, but could someone post a link to the secondary application? I lost my bookmark/deleted my old emails and I just can not find it anymore. I tried googling it, but couldn't find it this way either.

Thanks in advance!

3rd Wednesday of the month. Anyone get good news?

When did those who were accepted interview?

Anybody know if they call throughout the day or is it just the morning? Seems like it's just the mornings! doh ;(

Interviewed on Feb 1st.

Did they only make 2 phone calls today?

On their twitter (https://twitter.com/OUWBAdmissions), they said, "Adcom has 1 applicant from 2/1 & many from 2/15 to discuss at next meeting. Calls are out for today w/2 students we are trying to reach."

Interviewed on Feb 1st.

Did they only make 2 phone calls today?

On their twitter (https://twitter.com/OUWBAdmissions), they said, "Adcom has 1 applicant from 2/1 & many from 2/15 to discuss at next meeting. Calls are out for today w/2 students we are trying to reach."

No, it just means they can't reach two students out of however many calls they made today.

No, it just means they can't reach two students out of however many calls they made today.
I wonder what that means... Did they lose their contact information, or applicants didn't pick up their phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.