2012-2013 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else who got accepted excited at that $80k price tag, and won't qualify for need-based aid? If so, do you have any thoughts on outside scholarships? Or current students (who were unable to qualify for need-based aid), how do you feel about graduating with nearly 370k as a first year resident?

AND if any current students who did qualify, I'd love to speak to you about my situation. Please PM me.

If it makes you feel better the reported average indebtness of graduates is 195,000 not 370k so something must be happening.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A) That's reported.
B) That's average, meaning there's above and below.
C) I wanted to ask if anyone was in my BOAT, not qualifying for the need-based aid (institutional loans, scholarships, etc). Did anyone go outside and pursue other scholarships? Are there merit-based scholarships from Tufts? (Though I doubt my 3.5 qualifies=/)

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel better the reported average indebtness of graduates is 195,000 not 370k so something must be happening.

Keep in mind some students have wealthy parents, or are wealthy themselves, and can afford to pay $100,000 or more for school, and thus not have as much indebtedness when they graduate. These students are factored into the average.

C) I wanted to ask if anyone was in my BOAT, not qualifying for the need-based aid (institutional loans, scholarships, etc). Did anyone go outside and pursue other scholarships? Are there merit-based scholarships from Tufts? (Though I doubt my 3.5 qualifies=/)

I believe all institutional aid is need-based. Just curious, how do you know you don't qualify? Have you received notification from Financial Aid already?

got an II today. There are still slots for 3/18, 3/21 and 3/25 in case any of you guys are wondering.
Would you mind sharing some of your stats? I had all but given up hope of getting an II, but the Dean N. said my application would be considered if spots opened up for more IIs...I'm guessing this was a pretty generic response, but I'm interested to know that they actually are still making some II offers!

Would you mind sharing some of your stats? I had all but given up hope of getting an II, but the Dean N. said my application would be considered if spots opened up for more IIs...I'm guessing this was a pretty generic response, but I'm interested to know that they actually are still making some II offers!

It looks like the only day left open for interviews is the 21st as of this morning. Just so you know!

Sure. 36 MCAT, and 3.75 overall and sGPA. Best of luck to you :)

Anyone want to split a cab back to Boston Logan tomorrow after the interview? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gah, I guess it's safe to assume no more interview offers, sadness

Congrats to everyone who has already gotten an acceptance, and good luck to all those who are waiting to hear back.

If anyone has any questions I'm finishing up my first year at Tufts and should hopefully be able to check in every few days.

Tufts sends out pre-interview rejections throughout the application cycle? I am wondering what is taking so long to get an official rejection since I haven't heard anything since getting completed last year.

Tufts sends out pre-interview rejections throughout the application cycle? I am wondering what is taking so long to get an official rejection since I haven't heard anything since getting completed last year.

Tufts actually doesn't send out pre-interview rejections until April.

Just withdrew my seat here. :( It was a tough decision. I was accepted back in early January. I hope one of you deserving people gets to fill it. Good Luck! :)

Any news on Maine Track Acceptances? Seems to be very quiet....I have been deferred decision since interviewing in November. I wonder when we will see another round of acceptances?

Any news on Maine Track Acceptances? Seems to be very quiet....I have been deferred decision since interviewing in November. I wonder when we will see another round of acceptances?

I've heard they're not doing any decisions on the deferred people until the big movement in May when people have to make a decision. There will likely be acceptance calls this week for the last month of interviews, but I'd be surprised if they moved any of the deferred folks, from what I've gathered.

Edit: This may be different for Maine Track though! I'm talking about Regular MD.

Interviewed January, deferred in February and no word yet. It's been killing me waiting since February so I don't know how you've been able to wait since November. Here's hoping to some good Maine Track news soon!!

Congrats to everyone who has already gotten an acceptance, and good luck to all those who are waiting to hear back.

If anyone has any questions I'm finishing up my first year at Tufts and should hopefully be able to check in every few days.

Hi. I'm matriculating this fall and was wondering what the average first year schedule looks like. E.g., how many days/week do we spend in lecture, labs, etc.

Also, we haven't received much information regarding orientation week except a start date for classes. Are there any other activities usually scheduled or do we just jump right in?

Thanks!

Hi. I'm matriculating this fall and was wondering what the average first year schedule looks like. E.g., how many days/week do we spend in lecture, labs, etc.

Also, we haven't received much information regarding orientation week except a start date for classes. Are there any other activities usually scheduled or do we just jump right in?

Thanks!

Congrats on matriculating!

The first few months (until about Thanksgiving) usually features lecture from 8:15 to 12, sometimes with a lecture in the afternoon (maybe once per week). Tuesday afternoons are set aside for Selectives (semi-optional shadowing basically), Thursday afternoons you have patient interviewing, and either Friday or Wednesday you have PBL (small group). Note, that that vast majority of morning lectures are not mandatory, and will be recorded, so you can watch those on your own time as desired. Most things in the afternoon are mandatory except for lectures.

After Thanksgiving you start anatomy. At this point you keep roughly the same lecture schedule (starts at either 8 or 9) but sometimes you will have morning or afternoon lab. Usually you will have 2-3 two hour labs per week. Patient interviewing switches to Physical diagnoses, and instead of being on Thursday afternoon, it is from 5-7 once per week. While there is variability (and stuff changes radically once you hit the end of April), this gives you a rough sense of what your schedule is like. Remember, basically any lecture is recorded and optional, while anything lab or small group based will be mandatory.

Orientation is a ton of fun. During the day you will have a pretty simple stuff scheduled (safety lectures, IT talks, library tours, etc...) and have no class. You will also have one day of "Orientation Olympics" which is like a field day. At night, the second year social chairs will have outings scheduled to local bars, usually with discounted drinks and no cover charge. Basically, orientation is meant to make you familiar with the school, and have time to bond with your classmates and party before class begins.

Just got a rejection email. Good luck to everybody still waiting! :)

Congrats on matriculating!

The first few months (until about Thanksgiving) usually features lecture from 8:15 to 12, sometimes with a lecture in the afternoon (maybe once per week). Tuesday afternoons are set aside for Selectives (semi-optional shadowing basically), Thursday afternoons you have patient interviewing, and either Friday or Wednesday you have PBL (small group). Note, that that vast majority of morning lectures are not mandatory, and will be recorded, so you can watch those on your own time as desired. Most things in the afternoon are mandatory except for lectures.

After Thanksgiving you start anatomy. At this point you keep roughly the same lecture schedule (starts at either 8 or 9) but sometimes you will have morning or afternoon lab. Usually you will have 2-3 two hour labs per week. Patient interviewing switches to Physical diagnoses, and instead of being on Thursday afternoon, it is from 5-7 once per week. While there is variability (and stuff changes radically once you hit the end of April), this gives you a rough sense of what your schedule is like. Remember, basically any lecture is recorded and optional, while anything lab or small group based will be mandatory.

Orientation is a ton of fun. During the day you will have a pretty simple stuff scheduled (safety lectures, IT talks, library tours, etc...) and have no class. You will also have one day of "Orientation Olympics" which is like a field day. At night, the second year social chairs will have outings scheduled to local bars, usually with discounted drinks and no cover charge. Basically, orientation is meant to make you familiar with the school, and have time to bond with your classmates and party before class begins.

Thanks!

This is very helpful.

In your opinion do you think it's feasible to hold a part-time job (10-15 hours/week) during first year? I currently have a great position at BWH with tons of patient contact that if possible I would love to keep.

Does anyone know exactly when they held/will hold their final committee meeting?

A meeting has been held and they have begun calling those who were accepted. Good luck!

Last edited:
it was held. they called people yesterday.

I feel like posts like this are just designed to freak people out and discourage them. Tufts makes phone calls over several days, so many more people will get calls than just the people who were called yesterday. If you haven't heard yet, don't worry!

I feel like posts like this are just designed to freak people out and discourage them. Tufts makes phone calls over several days, so many more people will get calls than just the people who were called yesterday. If you haven't heard yet, don't worry!

Do they do rejections slowly as well in general? I'm getting palpitations, here!

Do they do rejections slowly as well in general? I'm getting palpitations, here!
rejections / deferrals usually come out a week or two after the acceptance calls are made via email or snail mail

Any matriculating M17s attending 2nd look or planning to rent an apartment? Contact me! I'm from the west coast and would love to meet and possibly look together!

Does anyone know exactly when they held/will hold their final committee meeting?

They have as needed meetings throughout the summer for deferred/waitlisted applicants now that the final interview meeting has been held though.

Thanks!

This is very helpful.

In your opinion do you think it's feasible to hold a part-time job (10-15 hours/week) during first year? I currently have a great position at BWH with tons of patient contact that if possible I would love to keep.

It really depends on how capable you are at handling the material and how much you value having free time. Personally, I think having an extra 10-15 hours of responsibility would eliminate any real free time I have. It is maybe doable, but I would be very stressed and would miss a lot of social stuff. That being said, there are people here who work as EMTs part-time, or are doing research during the year, so for them it is apparently ok.

Also keep in mind that there are many ways to get patient exposure at med school, whether through clinic work or shadowing. I don't know what kind of job it is, but if possible I would take a month or two to see how you feel about your schedule before adding extra stuff. Also, personally I think the first couple of months are the most important as far as getting to know your class since your work load is the lightest, so I would take advantage of that time to really get to know your peers.

Thanks!
I interviewed on March 21st. The committee met last week for all March interviewers

just checked voicemail and I'm in :)

for those of you that applied md/mba, when did they tell you that you were accepted to the MBA portion?

Last edited:
Annnnnnnnnnnddd...deferred (Interviewed on 3/21)

Any matriculating M17s attending 2nd look or planning to rent an apartment? Contact me! I'm from the west coast and would love to meet and possibly look together!

I'm from west coast too and debating whether or not to go to the second look (pretty set on the school). Think its worth it to fly out to Boston just for that evening?

I'm from west coast too and debating whether or not to go to the second look (pretty set on the school). Think its worth it to fly out to Boston just for that evening?

I think it is, if only to meet other incoming, maybe some current students.... also taking the chance to check out potential apartments.

and i want to see the dorms

check your inbox

I agree with above poster. Coming in to spend a few days in the city and get your living situation arranged would probably take away a few stressors when you actually get here to start school. I moved to Boston from California almost two years ago and love it, hopefully you will too!

sooo i interviewed back on feb 28th.. Still no news.. Does this pretty much mean im rejected??... I'm buggin!!

When is the last time any one heard from the Maine Track in terms of another round of acceptances? Has anyone heard? Or talked to the Maine Track Committee?

When is the last time any one heard from the Maine Track in terms of another round of acceptances? Has anyone heard? Or talked to the Maine Track Committee?
I interviewed for the Maine Track in Feb., then was deferred. I haven't seen anyone post a change in status for the Maine Track on this forum since Feb. I looked at last year's Maine Track forum, and it seems like most folks who were deferred got a waitlist notification after May 15th, and a few folks got accepted off the waitlist right before school started. I'm sure not everyone is on the SDN forum and that every year is different; however, I'm hoping someone will share some good news soon to boost my spirits.

I can't seem to find a breakdown of the 2013 match list on the Tufts website. Anyone have a link?

I can't seem to find a breakdown of the 2013 match list on the Tufts website. Anyone have a link?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=991281

Tufts Match list class of 2013

Anesthesia
UT-Houston
Baystate
Tufts
UCSF
Tufts
Drexel
Beth Israel
Beth Israel
UC- Davis