You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Tulane University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
got an email!
...telling me my secondary is complete. Fml.
+1 fml
--
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an email!
...telling me my secondary is complete. FML.
+2
so it was sent in batch
+1 It took a while... Submitted everything Sep 10 or so.+2
so it was sent in batch
for people who have interviewed/been accepted here --
how much did they stress/ask about volunteer experience? i'm interviewing here in a week and a half and have very little college/postgrad volunteering (lots in high school). i know this is a huge part of their mission so i was surprised when i actually got an interview and am now worried about how i should respond if they question it.
how much did they stress/ask about volunteer experience? i'm interviewing here in a week and a half and have very little college/postgrad volunteering (lots in high school). i know this is a huge part of their mission so i was surprised when i actually got an interview and am now worried about how i should respond if they question it.
Interview Invite! ~3.75, 34. Also late January date. I'm glad it isn't earlier, or I may have had to reschedule (which I hear they don't easily do). Anyway, I'm happy 🙂
Edit: I was complete 9/12 for those who are interested.
Edit: I was complete 9/12 for those who are interested.
Last edited:
Interviewed in september but didn't hear anything monday night when others from my group were accepted. No email, call, or snailmail. Am I hoping to be waitlisted at this point?
Same here. Interviewed 9/21. In state. Not that that matters really.
ACCEPTED!! Interviewed only last week on 10/8!
Interview invite! Scheduled for January......
ACCEPTED!! Interviewed only last week on 10/8!
Me too! Same interview date, and judging by your username you're one of the girls who went to Cal too! Congrats! Go Bears!
Accepted!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At least you got an interview....
Got placed on the acceptance range aka waitlist. Really upset, Tulane was my top choice :/
Got placed on the acceptance range aka waitlist. Really upset, Tulane was my top choice :/
When did you interview? Sorry to hear, but at least you still have a shot! Don't give up hope 🙂
Me too! Same interview date, and judging by your username you're one of the girls who went to Cal too! Congrats! Go Bears!
haha yes 🙂 congrats to you too!! and GO BEARS!
Whoops. Posted twice somehow. See below.
Last edited:
When did you interview? Sorry to hear, but at least you still have a shot! Don't give up hope 🙂
October 8th. I feel like I'm the only person that hasn't gotten in and now I'm questioning all my other interviews/application :/
October 8th. I feel like I'm the only person that hasn't gotten in and now I'm questioning all my other interviews/application :/
I interviewed in September and haven't heard a thing.
I interviewed in September and haven't heard a thing.
Hmm ok you win. That's strange, I wonder what's causing the wait? Well keep us posted, I'm sure you'll hear soon!!
Hmm ok you win. That's strange, I wonder what's causing the wait? Well keep us posted, I'm sure you'll hear soon!!
I can only guess that maybe one of my interviewers took a long time to turn in my review. It's killing me!
I gave up my acceptance today! Hope it goes to one of you guys!
Thanks 🙂 What school did you decide on instead?
I gave up my acceptance today! Hope it goes to one of you guys!
Thanks Norzy, maybe I can get off that pesky list. I too am wondering where you are electing to go?
Golfguy, How did they let you know, email? Letter? I only ask because I have not heard anything.
I have been stalking the past Tulane threads for the last few months and a good chunk of people are put on the acceptance range and later accepted.
I know of 3 people from around my Sep interview date alone from SDN who were not accepted, there has to more that are not posting.
So don't beat yourself up and let it get to your head, lots of us are and will be in your situation. 😳
I have been stalking the past Tulane threads for the last few months and a good chunk of people are put on the acceptance range and later accepted.
I know of 3 people from around my Sep interview date alone from SDN who were not accepted, there has to more that are not posting.
So don't beat yourself up and let it get to your head, lots of us are and will be in your situation. 😳
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Golfguy, How did they let you know, email? Letter? I only ask because I have not heard anything.
I have been stalking the past Tulane threads for the last few months and a good chunk of people are put on the acceptance range and later accepted.
I know of 3 people from my Sep interview date alone from SDN who were not accepted, there has to more that are not posting.
So don't beat yourself up and let it get to your head, lots of us are and will be in your situation. 😳
Hey Pgons. Thanks for the encouraging words, it seemed like everyone was getting an acceptance so naturally, as a rational premed, I overreact and think I'm worthless haha. I got an email Friday around 6 eastern?
Hey for you guys who got an acceptance: we wait until AFTER we get the physical letter of acceptance in the mail to notify them that we want to confirm our spot...correct? That is how I interpreted the email, but I wanted to make sure.
Thanks 🙂 What school did you decide on instead?
University of Colorado, my state school and alma mater. Excited beyond belief!
Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster.
I am definitely an atypical applicant, but I got an interview:
Tulane secondary received: 2012.07.13
Tulane secondary submitted: 2012.07.06
MD to PhD interview invite received: 2012.09.20
Regular MD interview invite received: 2012.10.04
Personally, I think what really helped me get my foot in the door was 1) a decent amount of distance (time-wise) from my atrocious undergrad GPA, 2) a (relatively) early secondary submission, 3) my service trip to post-Katrina New Orleans, 4) my research interest in infectious diseases, and 5) my recs and MCAT scores (which are decent and most of which were achieved after my poor undergrad showing).
I saw some people say stuff about stats and what does or doesn't work. More than just the GPA/MCAT assessment, strong post-high school extracurriculars, early secondary submission, and strong MCAT scores (which are the easiest thing in your application to improve in the shortest amount of time) are perhaps more important in a medical school's choice to accept or reject an applicant (if you look only at my MCAT and undergrad GPA, my magic number* is nowhere near 70).
This appears to be the case not just for Tulane either. I interviewed at UIC last Friday (not quite sure how it went, to be honest; guess I'll find out next month).
*For those of you who are unaware of what this "magic number" is, multiply your overall (or just your science) GPA by 10 and add that to your composite MCAT score. The closer you get to 70 (or if you can surpass that number), the more likely you are to get the attention of admissions committees. At least that's what *they* say.
I am definitely an atypical applicant, but I got an interview:
Tulane secondary received: 2012.07.13
Tulane secondary submitted: 2012.07.06
MD to PhD interview invite received: 2012.09.20
Regular MD interview invite received: 2012.10.04
Personally, I think what really helped me get my foot in the door was 1) a decent amount of distance (time-wise) from my atrocious undergrad GPA, 2) a (relatively) early secondary submission, 3) my service trip to post-Katrina New Orleans, 4) my research interest in infectious diseases, and 5) my recs and MCAT scores (which are decent and most of which were achieved after my poor undergrad showing).
I saw some people say stuff about stats and what does or doesn't work. More than just the GPA/MCAT assessment, strong post-high school extracurriculars, early secondary submission, and strong MCAT scores (which are the easiest thing in your application to improve in the shortest amount of time) are perhaps more important in a medical school's choice to accept or reject an applicant (if you look only at my MCAT and undergrad GPA, my magic number* is nowhere near 70).
This appears to be the case not just for Tulane either. I interviewed at UIC last Friday (not quite sure how it went, to be honest; guess I'll find out next month).
*For those of you who are unaware of what this "magic number" is, multiply your overall (or just your science) GPA by 10 and add that to your composite MCAT score. The closer you get to 70 (or if you can surpass that number), the more likely you are to get the attention of admissions committees. At least that's what *they* say.
Last edited:
University of Colorado, my state school and alma mater. Excited beyond belief!
Congratulations!!! 🙂
....Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster (I just registered today because I'm getting prepped for my interview on 10/25).
I am definitely an atypical applicant, and when you read the following, you'll see why:
Legal residence: Illinois native
Education:
BS (Biomedical Engineering), Northwestern University, class of 2006; overall GPA below 2.5 (freshman and sophomore years: below 2.5; junior and senior years: around 2.7/2.8); I was in fact dismissed for poor academic performance from Northwestern and later readmitted
MPH, UMDNJ-School of Public Health, class of 2009; GPA 3.59
incomplete PhD program, Epidemiology, Michigan State University (withdrew in June, partly because I wasn't going to be finished before 2014; this disqualified me for the MD to PhD program interview, to which I was, strangely, invited on 9/20 - I had already let them know that I had withdrawn before I got the invite, so when it happened they must have realized that there was a communication snafu, so they just put me back in the running with the regular MD folks, and I got an interview invite for 10/25 on 10/4)
MCAT: 34R (08/2005: 13 phys, 11 verb, 10 bio sci); 32R (01/2009: 11 phys, 12 verb, 9 biol sci); 34P (07/2010: 12 phys, 11 verb, 11 bio sci)
extracurriculars (non-paid, selected):
undergrad - IM sports, Catholic Undergrads (including a service trip to post-Katrina NO in December 2005; my AMCAS personal statement was about this too), quiz bowl (didn't list this in AMCAS though), elderly home musician (piano and violin),
MPH - student government president, VOICES (student volunteer group), American Mensa (not listed on AMCAS)
PhD - Knights of Columbus, Triple Nine Society (not listed on AMCAS)
beyond - tutoring elderly for citizenship interviews
extracurriculars (paid, selected):
undergrad - U.S. Marine Corps reserves (discharged April 2005), Northwestern University IT, lifeguard (YMCA)
MPH - Kaplan (MCAT, PCAT teacher/tutor)
PhD - grad assistant, temp staffer
beyond - temp staffer
Assorted details:
trilingual (Korean, German, English)
Tulane secondary received: 2012.07.13
Tulane secondary submitted: 2012.07.06
MD to PhD interview invite received: 2012.09.20
Regular MD interview invite received: 2012.10.04
Personally, I think what really helped me get my foot in the door was 1) a decent amount of distance (time-wise) from my atrocious undergrad GPA, 2) a (relatively) early secondary submission, 3) my service trip to post-Katrina New Orleans, 4) my research interest in infectious diseases, and 5) my recs and MCAT scores (which are decent and most of which were achieved after my poor undergrad showing).
I saw some people say stuff about stats and what does or doesn't work. I think I might be the poster child for the case that more than just the GPA/MCAT assessment, strong post-high school extracurriculars (I had a lot in high school too, but those don't really count for much beyond undergrad), early secondary submission (this is crucial because schools tend to send more interview invites early on; only if your stats + extracurriculars are stellar - by which I mean 3.7+ GPA and 33+ MCAT or a magic number* at or above 70 - do you stand a chance of getting one despite submitting later, i.e. beyond late September, in the cycle), and strong MCAT scores (which are the easiest thing in your application to improve in the shortest amount of time) are perhaps more important in a medical school's choice to accept or reject an applicant (if you look only at my undergrad GPA, my magic number* is nowhere near 70).
This appears to be the case not just for Tulane either. I interviewed at UIC last Friday (not quite sure how it went, to be honest; guess I'll find out next month), and while I think my legal residence had a lot to do with my interview invite, it couldn't have just been that (we actually discussed my personal statement, which talked primarily about my service trip to NO in 2005, at the interview).
*For those of you who are unaware of what this "magic number" is, multiply your overall (or just your science) GPA by 10 and add that to your composite MCAT score. The closer you get to 70 (or if you can surpass that number), the more likely you are to get the attention of admissions committees. At least that's what *they* say.
Last edited:
congrats! when were you complete?
Rejected this morning. Pretty disappointed!
OOS, 33S (11, 11, 11), 3.9 GPA
Secondary Submitted: 8/20
Notification of Secondary Complete: 9/18
Good luck to everyone!
OOS, 33S (11, 11, 11), 3.9 GPA
Secondary Submitted: 8/20
Notification of Secondary Complete: 9/18
Good luck to everyone!
congrats! when were you complete?
thanks...got the complete email on september 28
Anybody interview on 10/1 or earlier and still waiting on any word from Tulane? Not sure if silence means "acceptance range."
I also received an II todayf or late February. Do you think if I ask for an earlier interview date they will allow it?
everyone got january interviews today and i got late feb 😕😕😕
Well, they can't have you come the first half of February. That's Mardi Gras!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LoL "Why, I don't know how I managed to walk here with no pants and beads for a tie, Dr. X..."Well, they can't have you come the first half of February. That's Mardi Gras!
II this afternoon (for February 🙄)!! SO excited! Complete 9/18, OOS
thanks...got the complete email on september 28
congrats! I was complete 9/4 and still haven't heard anything. my decision is coming soon
Acceptance range 🙁
Is this a school where we need to update like crazy to get off the wait list?
Did you get in? I really felt like you were gonna get in.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K