2012-2013 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just email them. Was told that there'll be an update "Friday (Gosh darn it!, this coming Friday I hope) and then again in March". So we can all go to back to work and stop refreshing our email (like me!).

Well shoot... Thank you for letting us know!

Members don't see this ad.

well at least now i can stop compulsively checking for a few days...hopefully they come out on friday! I'm just ready to have a conclusion with all of this mess!

So tomorrow is the day. I don't think they are making the wait list or anything yet, but 30 decisions is a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering how many of those students will actually choose to go there? Last year, supposedly they had to pull from the bottom third of their waiting list. Let's hope it's one of us! For me, it'll just be the same old "status unchanged". ;)

I was just wondering how many of those students will actually choose to go there? Last year, supposedly they had to pull from the bottom third of their waiting list. Let's hope it's one of us! For me, it'll just be the same old "status unchanged". ;)
probably not many!! at least for our sake lets hope not many haha

In order to pass the time, does anyone have any idea why there are thirty being sent out this month? High turnover? Something else? (This way we are at least filling the silence somehow, right?)

In order to pass the time, does anyone have any idea why there are thirty being sent out this month? High turnover? Something else? (This way we are at least filling the silence somehow, right?)

Not sure... I think they just changed their policy. Maybe they were losing a lot of good people committing to other schools because Mizzou accepts so few people each month.

Just based on my odds, and the fact that such a large percent of the matriculating class comes off of the wait list, it is unlikely that I hear anything today (even if I do eventually get in). Still, my hopes are sky high regardless and ready to be crushed!

Not sure... I think they just changed their policy. Maybe they were losing a lot of good people committing to other schools because Mizzou accepts so few people each month.
i think theyre just trying it out to see what happens. regardless they will still lose a bunch of the people who get accepted so early. I can't imagine mizzou being at the top of the list for a lot of the really qualified applicants, more like their "safety" if there is such a thing when it comes to med schools haha. And I'm sure more times than not they have already gotten into other schools which they prefer over mizzou by now.

i think theyre just trying it out to see what happens. regardless they will still lose a bunch of the people who get accepted so early. I can't imagine mizzou being at the top of the list for a lot of the really qualified applicants, more like their "safety" if there is such a thing when it comes to med schools haha. And I'm sure more times than not they have already gotten into other schools which they prefer over mizzou by now.
I love how Mizzou's a "safety" for so many people, and yet it's my first choice!

I love how Mizzou's a "safety" for so many people, and yet it's my first choice!

Haha! Same here! I hope it's a "safety" school for a lot more people people accepted so we get a chance to show Mizzou that we are actually proud to go to here, not that we just settled.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha! Same here! I hope it's a "safety" school for a lot more people people accepted so we get a chance to show mizzou that we are actually proud to go to here, not that we just settled.
agreed!

Because they are actively monitoring this thread and get enjoyment out of this. :p

Haha! How freaked out would you be if they told you that they actually did monitor this thread? Our last status update arrived at around 3:00 pm. Same time today?

Haha! How freaked out would you be if they told you that they actually did monitor this thread? Our last status update arrived at around 3:00 pm. Same time today?

Last year when I was rejected (in March), the email came in the morning. But I guess it's too late for that, so 3:00 sounds like a good time to hope for :)

I would have expected to have heard something by now...Mizzou is definitely my first choice, so I hope for good news, expect "status unchanged".

Maybe they just sent out acceptances and not the normal status updates.

Bummer...must be true, though since it's now almost 4:00.

Unchanged, but at least I haven't been rejected! When, this month, do you think we'll hear about the wait list?

I feel like someone just needs to call or email to ask about final decisions since the schedule has been thrown off so much.

unchanged...meh. expected though. I wonder how many people they accepted this month...reports were they accepted ~30 people?? is this true?

unchanged...meh. expected though. I wonder how many people they accepted this month...reports were they accepted ~30 people?? is this true?

That's what I've heard from numerous sources. That should translate to 1/3 of class remaining to be filled. This way the people that would've withdrawn will do it several weeks earlier making the movement on the alternate list a little sooner due to the deposit deadline for accepted students. What do you all think? Maybe this is why Mizzou is trying this out this cycle?

Ofcourse, this wont mean s*#% to me if I don't even get on the waiting list.

the waiting continues....but the good news is that ITS ALMOST OVER (unless we get placed on the alternate list)

That's what I've heard from numerous sources. That should translate to 1/3 of class remaining to be filled. This way the people that would've withdrawn will do it several weeks earlier making the movement on the alternate list a little sooner due to the deposit deadline for accepted students. What do you all think? Maybe this is why Mizzou is trying this out this cycle?

Ofcourse, this wont mean s*#% to me if I don't even get on the waiting list.
i heard it was a little more than half the seats will be given out. someone earlier posted that theyve only given out ~20 acceptances until todays large pool. so that would make it a total of 50 acceptances. but the deposit deadline doesnt mean jack squat. I know if i get in i'm sending it in either way and then i'll wait and see what happens with the other schools that i got waitlisted at.

i heard it was a little more than half the seats will be given out. someone earlier posted that theyve only given out ~20 acceptances until todays large pool. so that would make it a total of 50 acceptances. but the deposit deadline doesnt mean jack squat. I know if i get in i'm sending it in either way and then i'll wait and see what happens with the other schools that i got waitlisted at.
It had to be more than 20 acceptances prior to today because I interviewed in January and they'd accepted 29 already. So 1/3 remaining would be about accurate.

I know this question has already been answered to some extent in the past, but is it even reasonable to expect an acceptance if you interviewed in October at this stage in the game? I quickly browsed through last year's thread, and it seems as though everyone who interviewed in October was accepted by now. Alas, getting wait listed in March would be better than a straight up rejection. :/

It had to be more than 20 acceptances prior to today because I interviewed in January and they'd accepted 29 already. So 1/3 remaining would be about accurate.
ah okay, i was just going by what someone else had posted earlier...

I know this question has already been answered to some extent in the past, but is it even reasonable to expect an acceptance if you interviewed in October at this stage in the game? I quickly browsed through last year's thread, and it seems as though everyone who interviewed in October was accepted by now. Alas, getting wait listed in March would be better than a straight up rejection. :/
not at all. mizzou is different in how their acceptances go. they only accept the top 5 at that time at the end of every month. So, if you interviewed in october you may have been a top 10 candidate at that point but people who interviewed in nov, dec, and january could have jumped you and you could have moved down the list. i cam eot the conclusion that mizzou is one of those schools where an early interview doesnt mean anything like it does at other schools (the whole youre competing for more spots thing)

not at all. mizzou is different in how their acceptances go. they only accept the top 5 at that time at the end of every month. So, if you interviewed in october you may have been a top 10 candidate at that point but people who interviewed in nov, dec, and january could have jumped you and you could have moved down the list. i cam eot the conclusion that mizzou is one of those schools where an early interview doesnt mean anything like it does at other schools (the whole youre competing for more spots thing)

Soooo it's not reasonable to expect an acceptance? :(

Soooo it's not reasonable to expect an acceptance? :(
no you can still get accepted...it just depends on how many people were better than you. just gotta hope youre in the top 150 or so (they accepted a total number of 152 people last year i think)

This is not meant to offend anyone nor directed at anyone and please forgive me if it comes off that way but I highly doubt Mizzou will offer an acceptance [EDIT: before March] without a 3.7-3.8+ G.P.A. and 30+ MCAT, stellar extracurricular activities combined with a great interview day. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is the general impression I've developed after noticing the people who've been accepted prior to final decision in March.

Last edited:
This is not meant to offend anyone nor directed at anyone and please forgive me if it comes off that way but I highly doubt Mizzou will offer an acceptance without a 3.7-3.8+ G.P.A. and 30+ MCAT, stellar extracurricular activities combined with a great interview day. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is the general impression I've developed after noticing the people who've been accepted prior to final decision in March.
false, stop being so negative! haha. I know someone who was accepted last year with a 3.4 and a 27. Its not all about numbers. SDN only represents probably 10% of the entire applicant pool for any given school. theres some good info threaded in between piles of garbage. take everything you read here with a grain of salt..In general those are the people who get accepted though, yes. You must have stellar numbers to be one of the top 5, but that doesnt mean all those people go there. hence the large movement off the waitlist

false, stop being so negative! haha. I know someone who was accepted last year with a 3.4 and a 27. Its not all about numbers. SDN only represents probably 10% of the entire applicant pool for any given school. theres some good info threaded in between piles of garbage. take everything you read here with a grain of salt..

Sorry :( 3.4 and 27? before March acceptance? That's really something. Lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.