2012-2013 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, the C/O 2017 Facebook group has 35 members right now. Assuming that most people have facebook and have joined the group, there're probably around 35-40 spots filled right now. Perhaps the 92 include people who had been accepted way back and have turned it down by now.
or they just haven't decided yet...i'm hoping you're right though! fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully someone can call tomorrow and make sure I heard the "92 acceptances" correctly. And you can clarify whether those 92 people have actually been notified, or if the decisions have just been made.

And if you're really feeling brave, maybe you can ask why we were all lead to believe that there would still be a significant number of people accepted at the end of March. During my interview they described how the University of Missouri application process allowed everyone a chance to get in the class, and didn't heavily favor those who interviewed early. But apparently they still have TWO interview days this week. How does having 4 remaining spots allow all the people who interviewed in March to have a good chance?

Hopefully someone can call tomorrow and make sure I heard the "92 acceptances" correctly. And you can clarify whether those 92 people have actually been notified, or if the decisions have just been made.

And if you're really feeling brave, maybe you can ask why we were all lead to believe that there would still be a significant number of people accepted at the end of March. During my interview they described how the University of Missouri application process allowed everyone a chance to get in the class, and didn't heavily favor those who interviewed early. But apparently they still have TWO interview days this week. How does having 4 remaining spots allow all the people who interviewed in March to have a good chance?

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the idea that they might have MADE the decisions but HAVE NOT sent them out yet. I don't think anyone would make a statement that they will release the "final decisions" on the 22nd, only to offer 4-5 more acceptances.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the idea that they might have MADE the decisions but HAVE NOT sent them out yet. I don't think anyone would make a statement that they will release the "final decisions" on the 22nd, only to offer 4-5 more acceptances.
i hope youre right!

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... But I called yesterday morning and they said that there are indeed only 5 seats left for acceptances on Friday. That number may go up by a few if people withdraw between now and then. After that, 96 people will be put on the wait list. Everyone else is rejected.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... But I called yesterday morning and they said that there are indeed only 5 seats left for acceptances on Friday. That number may go up by a few if people withdraw between now and then. After that, 96 people will be put on the wait list. Everyone else is rejected.
What did you ask them exactly? I just called and she would not give me a number about how many acceptances had been offered. They also still have 2 interview days remaining as well. I'm so ready for this Friday morning, good or bad! Anyone else know of people receiving acceptances on random dates, like the poster who got one last Wednesday?

What did you ask them exactly? I just called and she would not give me a number about how many acceptances had been offered. They also still have 2 interview days remaining as well. I'm so ready for this Friday morning, good or bad! Anyone else know of people receiving acceptances on random dates, like the poster who got one last Wednesday?
I asked specifically how many acceptances would be sent out on Friday. Also- she did say that acceptances may go out Thursday night or really early Friday so that the people who want to still have a chance to get to Columbia for second look.

Well.....here's hoping for the waitlist then! dang that sucks

when I called she said they still have acceptances to give out, that there are 300 emails going out on friday, and that NO ONE has been rejected yet. She could not release any more information than that. So we never know.

i dont understand how when some people call they give out the entire "only 4 acceptances will be given on friday" thing and then when others call they say "all they said was (blank)" ....seems a little fishy to me. You would think that they would all sit down and discuss what exactly they can and can't tell people over the phone....regardless friday can't come soon enough. All I can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst! Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, that is puzzling. I guess it depends who you talk to. I talked to Alison, the director of admissions. Good luck to all! Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if Mizzou ranks students/does AOA?

i hope thats not a real question...but every accredited medical school (MD) has to have AOA. I personally would not want to go to a med school if AOA didn't have a chapter at that school...just saying

i hope thats not a real question...but every accredited medical school (MD) has to have AOA. I personally would not want to go to a med school if AOA didn't have a chapter at that school...just saying

Not every school uses AOA. Harvard doesn't but I bet you'd still go there lol :naughty:

Not every school uses AOA. Harvard doesn't but I bet you'd still go there lol :naughty:
probably because most residencies think that every harvard student would have been AOA at any other med school...makes sense. haha. but its haaaaaavard..screw them. what a weird school

when I called she said they still have acceptances to give out, that there are 300 emails going out on friday, and that NO ONE has been rejected yet. She could not release any more information than that. So we never know.

How is 300 emails with "NO ONE rejected yet" possible? Only way that would add up is if they over-accept or make a larger waiting list. Something is fishy here with the info you guys/gals have been receiving.

"5 seats left for acceptances" could imply that they haven't decided who to offer those 5 seats to; could be reserved for those two supposedly upcoming interview days. She didn't say that the acceptance offers have been sent to everybody accepted so it still holds that from an applicant perspective, the 50 or so spots we were predicting earlier to be still "open".

My latest theory: They are monitoring this thread and are eating popcorn and nacho cheese, watching us freak out and getting a kick out of us making absurd theories about the admissions process.

How is 300 emails with "NO ONE rejected yet" possible? Only way that would add up is if they over-accept or make a larger waiting list. Something is fishy here with the info you guys/gals have been receiving.

"5 seats left for acceptances" could imply that they haven't decided who to offer those 5 seats to; could be reserved for those two supposedly upcoming interview days. She didn't say that the acceptance offers have been sent to everybody accepted so it still holds that from an applicant perspective, the 50 or so spots we were predicting earlier to be still "open".

My latest theory: They are monitoring this thread and are eating popcorn and nacho cheese, watching us freak out and getting a kick out of us making absurd theories about the admissions process.
I think what they mean by no one rejected yet is that as of today there hasnt been a single applicant that has been sent a "sorry to inform you" email. Out of that 300, a little more than 100 rejections will be sent out. 96 waitlisted and then however many open seats they still have left will be acceptances. Thats my understanding.

And I'm sure your theory on them scanning these threads is accurate haha. It's a good thing, we're all annonymous...i think haha

She made it very clear to me that acceptances had been sent out to all but 5 spots unless some withdraws happen.

I think what they mean by no one rejected yet is that as of today there hasnt been a single applicant that has been sent a "sorry to inform you" email. Out of that 300, a little more than 100 rejections will be sent out. 96 waitlisted and then however many open seats they still have left will be acceptances. Thats my understanding.

from ecr998 and lola3's information together, it seems like most of those 300 will be rejection emails. Since they interview around 400 applicants, and the class size hovers around 96, it seems like info is correct - only 4-5 seats left. I hope all those people selected get into their top choice schools so those of us who actually want Mizzou as our 1st choice get an opportunity.

Last edited:
The conflicting information is strange, but I just interviewed yesterday and was told there are 10 seats still open for which everyone who has interviewed will be considered equally, after that the 96-person waitlist will be crafted according to score from the interview/application. Everyone ranked 97 and over will regretfully be a rejection. So this thursday night/Friday, everyone should know where they stand!

Good luck all!

The conflicting information is strange, but I just interviewed yesterday and was told there are 10 seats still open for which everyone who has interviewed will be considered equally, after that the 96-person waitlist will be crafted according to score from the interview/application. Everyone ranked 97 and over will regretfully be a rejection. So this thursday night/Friday, everyone should know where they stand!

Good luck all!

Great. Thanks for the info. I hope you enjoyed Mizzou! :D

Also, LOVING the username :thumbup:

Random question, but did anyone here interview with Dr. Tharakan? He is the chief of cardiothoracic surgery.

Random question, but did anyone here interview with Dr. Tharakan? He is the chief of cardiothoracic surgery.

I remember a couple of people from my group interviewed with him. I myself interviewed with Dr. Beck.

from ecr998 and lola3's information together, it seems like most of those 300 will be rejection emails. Since they interview around 400 applicants, and the class size hovers around 96, it seems like info is correct - only 4-5 seats left. I hope all those people selected get into their top choice schools so those of us who actually want Mizzou as our 1st choice get an opportunity.
ah yes, you would be right, i dont know why i was thinking they only had 300 interviews. More like 450 or so. so yes, probably 200 of the 300 emails they send out tomorrow will be rejections unfortunately. looks like i have to start getting plan B ready to go...

What I find the most bizarre out of this whole situation is how few people in this thread have mentioned they've been accepted. Are we up to 2 now? Would've thought that if they had accepted ~90 people, we might've heard from a few more of them.

Hoping for a miracle Thursday night/Friday morning, or that maybe this is all a big prank orchestrated by some KU med students...

How are you guys so sure that they already accepted the 90ish students?

If I had to guess, based on the apparent 5-10 acceptances going out this week, they will probably email the lucky few Thursday night with acceptances, and then reject/waitlist everyone else on Friday. If they indeed only send out a few acceptances, that can't take too long to do, and that way the people will have more time to arrange plans for second look day (Saturday). If this is all true, it is kind of frustrating to say the least. I'm just so ready for it to be Thursday night (hopefully!) or Friday morning.

The way I look at it. Even if they sent out acceptances early, guess what...I didn't get one. So in a way, I am rejected early. Not getting any hopes up for the waiting list either. Besides, my stats aren't the greatest, so even if my interview went pretty darn good (at least that's the impression I received from both my interviewers), Mizzou won't be doing me any favors. Even though, I'm in-state, Mizzou undergrad, re-applicant.... LOVE ME MIZZOU!

And they were explicitly told that the class was filled?
not filled. theyve given out about 90 acceptances. meaning theyre only going to give ~6 more acceptances this thursday or friday which ever day it may be. that doesnt mean 90 people have accepted their seat. i think someone said the facebook group has about 35 members (so assuming most people have facebook) there are still 60 seats that still havent been filled....yet

not filled. theyve given out about 90 acceptances. meaning theyre only going to give ~6 more acceptances this thursday or friday which ever day it may be. that doesnt mean 90 people have accepted their seat. i think someone said the facebook group has about 35 members (so assuming most people have facebook) there are still 60 seats that still havent been filled....yet

That's what I meant. Applicants were explicitly told by mizzou that 90 people had already been accepted?

That's what I meant. Applicants were explicitly told by mizzou that 90 people had already been accepted?

Please refer to the last page or two of this thread for the details of what people have heard from the admissions office.

I asked specifically how many acceptances would be sent out on Friday. Also- she did say that acceptances may go out Thursday night or really early Friday so that the people who want to still have a chance to get to Columbia for second look.
Please refer to the last page or two of this thread for the details of what people have heard from the admissions office.

Are you referring to the quoted posts?

All that means is status quo.. Same as the last several months.

Those quotes and a couple others, like this one:

Good luck all!

I mean, even though the number seems to be float ambiguously between 5 and 10, it seems pretty explicitly stated that the class is "full"-5 or 10. Maybe I didn't understand your question- sorry if I got confused!

Given that about half of the currently accepted class will withdraw, I think everyone ITT should hold out hope!

Those quotes and a couple others, like this one:

I mean, even though the number seems to be float ambiguously between 5 and 10, it seems pretty explicitly stated that the class is "full"-5 or 10. Maybe I didn't understand your question- sorry if I got confused!

Given that about half of the currently accepted class will withdraw, I think everyone ITT should hold out hope!
if we make the waitlist that is! haha

we're all Schrodinger's Cat... the box should open either late tonight or most likely tomorrow morning lol.

I did! I think it went well but it was really hard to gauge his interest.

Same here. It was very short, and he didn't seem very talkative. Asked me questions about my application that he should have already known (MCAT, GPA, etc.). I left the interview wondering if he liked me or hated me. It was very different from my other interview, which seemed to go very well.

Same here. It was very short, and he didn't seem very talkative. Asked me questions about my application that he should have already known (MCAT, GPA, etc.). I left the interview wondering if he liked me or hated me. It was very different from my other interview, which seemed to go very well.

I would be nervous about that as well. But they do a 3rd interview in the case that your original 2 interviewers scored you more than 3 points apart, so as long as you only had 2, either A) he scored you better than you may have thought, or B) your other interview didn't go as well as you believe it did ;)

I have that same worry, though. One of my interviewers was more serious, and the other and I talked for a while rather casually about mutual hobbies. But no 3rd interview, so they must not have been too far apart on what they thought of me.

I interviewed with him last year, and he seemed nice and we had a fairly relaxed interview. I was rejected (no waitlist)... which may have been due to my other interview.

I would be nervous about that as well. But they do a 3rd interview in the case that your original 2 interviewers scored you more than 3 points apart, so as long as you only had 2, either A) he scored you better than you may have thought, or B) your other interview didn't go as well as you believe it did ;)

I have that same worry, though. One of my interviewers was more serious, and the other and I talked for a while rather casually about mutual hobbies. But no 3rd interview, so they must not have been too far apart on what they thought of me.
It seems as if some people this year had interview experiences somewhat similar to this. One interview was very friendly and conversational, and one was less talkative. The whole 3-point differential was the thing that comforted/alarmed me after my interview. Either both scored me poorly or both scored me pretty well. I feel more confident that the first interview went very well than I am that the second one went poorly. I didn't necessarily feel like it went bad, but rather had no idea whatsoever what his thoughts on me were. Who knows though. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Also, about the second interviewer, Dr. Tharakan, they mentioned during the group session that one of the interviewers was a cardiothoracic surgeon and had had to leave interviews in the past to go to surgery. I'm hoping that he was just a very busy surgeon who wanted to get the interview over and get back to work. At least, that's what helps me sleep at night LOL

Today is rough. I keep yo-yoing between, "I'm proud of my accomplishments and I think I had a strong application" and, "Oh god, what if I don't even make the wait list?"

I was a lot more confident of my chances after a great interview day. As time goes by since then I'm just second guessing myself more and more. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Good luck everyone.

Today is rough. I keep yo-yoing between, "I'm proud of my accomplishments and I think I had a strong application" and, "Oh god, what if I don't even make the wait list?"

I was a lot more confident of my chances after a great interview day. As time goes by since then I'm just second guessing myself more and more. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Good luck everyone.

Lol. I'm going through exactly the same thing. It's hard to guage what the reason for rejection is because even if your interviews went perfect, if the rest of the committee finds problems with some other parts of your application and don't vote for you, you're screwed either way.

Since your score is based on the primary/secondary and the interviews, if your primary/secondary scores were poor, there is little that the interview can do for you since most of the people accepted will have good in both areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.