2013-2014 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind sharing what day you got your first email from iu saying they got your app? Also, is there an essay prompt?

I got my first email from them saying that they downloaded my AMCAS application on 7-8. There is no essay prompt.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my first email from them saying that they downloaded my AMCAS application on 7-8. There is no essay prompt.

Thanks! I'm IS EDP and got mine about a week later, so I'm hoping to be in the next round.

The first interview invite this cycle.

3.83 / 31 (8 verbal) / OOS with tie.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first interview invite this cycle.

3.83 / 31 (8 verbal) / OOS with tie.

Thanks for posting; I just checked my email and I got an interview invite too!! First MD interview invite for me. :)

3.73, 31, OOS with ties (went to undergrad in the state; worked in a research lab at one of their campuses).

Last edited:
Interview invite!! California resident 3.75 gpa and 34 mcat

Congrats everyone!

Does anyone know if there's a way to find out how many med students are at each of the regional campuses? My luck is horrible so I don't think I should even try for the Indy campus (placement there is through a lottery and you don't find out til May if you got that campus); thinking of interviewing at a different campus.

Congrats everyone!

Does anyone know if there's a way to find out how many med students are at each of the regional campuses? My luck is horrible so I don't think I should even try for the Indy campus (placement there is through a lottery and you don't find out til May if you got that campus); thinking of interviewing at a different campus.

verbatim from the email: "Your interview location does not impact your campus assignment, if accepted."

verbatim from the email: "Your interview location does not impact your campus assignment, if accepted."

I know that; I just would like to see one of the regional campuses while interviewing in case I end up there. Unless they changed the process in the last year, I'm pretty sure you can choose your campus if accepted early in the cycle and you are picking a regional/non-Indy campus.

So after receiving an II, what documents do you have to mail in?

I got an e-mail that just says:

Sincerely,
James J. Brokaw, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Frank C. and Ruby L. Moore
and George T. Lukemeyer Scholar
Co-Chair, Admissions Committee
Associate Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology

Sincerely,
Karen W. West, M.D
Professor of Surgery

That is it..... I am confused. And it is a do not reply e-mail. Probably a rejection letter cut off?

So after receiving an II, what documents do you have to mail in?

http://admissions.medicine.iu.edu/applying-to-the-iu-school-of-medicine/applicant-instructions/

I got an e-mail that just says:

Sincerely,
James J. Brokaw, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Frank C. and Ruby L. Moore
and George T. Lukemeyer Scholar
Associate Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology

Sincerely,
Karen W. West, M.D
Professor of Surgery

That is it..... I am confused. And it is a do not reply e-mail. Probably a rejection letter cut off?

I have no idea what that means..Probably sent it too soon? I would wait and see..

Members don't see this ad :)
Was googling and found an awesome document for all of us interviewing at Indiana:

http://msa.medicine.iu.edu/files/6413/2086/3419/CampusComparisonGRID.pdf

It details how many incoming med students are at each campus (exactly what I was curious about), what type of instruction format they use at each campus, etc. Great IU campus comparison sheet! :)

EDIT: here's another good fact sheet (with the total number of students at each campus, etc) : http://medicine.iu.edu/files/6813/5454/4390/IUSM-Factsheet-12-13.pdf

Was googling and found an awesome document for all of us interviewing at Indiana:

http://msa.medicine.iu.edu/files/6413/2086/3419/CampusComparisonGRID.pdf

It details how many incoming med students are at each campus (exactly what I was curious about), what type of instruction format they use at each campus, etc. Great IU campus comparison sheet! :)

EDIT: here's another good fact sheet (with the total number of students at each campus, etc) : http://medicine.iu.edu/files/6813/5454/4390/IUSM-Factsheet-12-13.pdf

That's great info! Thank you for sharing

Any non EDP in-staters get an interview invite? I submitted AMCAS app June 10th, wondering what's taking so long.

Are interviews conducted the same way at all the IU campuses?

Interview invite received. MCAT: 26, 3.5 GPA, OOS. URM (Spanish).

My AMCAS app was downloaded July 11. Just received the rejection letter. OOS, no ties, 3.7, 30

Plus tons of volunteering, research, and unique ECs. Nontraditional student.

Does anyone know if interviews are conducted any differently at each campus? Or if any are "better" than others?

Question to those who received an II.

I am really struggling with the "Dean of Student Evaluatio" form. I go to a public school with over 26000 students, and it's impossible for the dean to actually know me. I went to the deans office today and ask them, they said they cannot evaluate me based on those questions on the form because they are too personal. They want me to give it to someone who actually knows me to write it, like a faulty.

But on the form, it specifically says to have an official on campus whose office maintains disciplinary records for the entire university.

I don't know what to do....

Question to those who received an II.

I am really struggling with the "Dean of Student Evaluatio" form. I go to a public school with over 26000 students, and it's impossible for the dean to actually know me. I went to the deans office today and ask them, they said they cannot evaluate me based on those questions on the form because they are too personal. They want me to give it to someone who actually knows me to write it, like a faulty.

But on the form, it specifically says to have an official on campus whose office maintains disciplinary records for the entire university.

I don't know what to do....

Do you have a premed advisor? Perhaps they know where it goes on your campus--mine told me to forward my evaluation to a specific person in the Office of Student Affairs at my campus. My undergrad has roughly only 8,000 undergrads, though...

I didn't send it to my dean or someone who knows me well, though--just whoever is in charge of disciplinary records at my undergrad.

Do you have a premed advisor? Perhaps they know where it goes on your campus--mine told me to forward my evaluation to a specific person in the Office of Student Affairs at my campus. My undergrad has roughly only 8,000 undergrads, though...

I didn't send it to my dean or someone who knows me well, though--just whoever is in charge of disciplinary records at my undergrad.

Thanks! My question is if this person doesn't know you, how would they be able to answer the questions:

Is the applicant addicted to the use of drugs or liquor?
Is the applicant truthful and honest?
Do you believe the applicant is capable of becoming an upright and competent physician?

Thanks! My question is if this person doesn't know you, how would they be able to answer the questions:

Is the applicant addicted to the use of drugs or liquor?
Is the applicant truthful and honest?
Do you believe the applicant is capable of becoming an upright and competent physician?

I'm not sure but I doubt the person who gets my form knows me either. I think they go off your disciplinary record and say things like, "he has followed the honor code and never cheated," "she has no record of alcohol abuse".

Think of your disciplinary record: if you have a clean record, to me it seems like the answers to the questions are pretty straightforward (i.e., no, yes, yes).

I'm not sure but I doubt the person who gets my form knows me either. I think they go off your disciplinary record and say things like, "he has followed the honor code and never cheated," "she has no record of alcohol abuse".

Think of your disciplinary record: if you have a clean record, to me it seems like the answers to the questions are pretty straightforward (i.e., no, yes, yes).

True. So they have to mail out that form to the admissions office, while we mail the two other forms: "legal disclosure form" and "letters of evaluation form" right?

And also, did anyone get a response after mailing IU about their preferred interview location?

True. So they have to mail out that form to the admissions office, while we mail the two other forms: "legal disclosure form" and "letters of evaluation form" right?

And also, did anyone get a response after mailing IU about their preferred interview location?

Yep! I put in a short "cover letter" (in the envelope along with the deans form) to my undergrad office reminding them the form had to mailed on to IU after being filled out and also gave my email/phone number in case they (the college) need to contact me about it (I'm an alum of the school now). And yes the other two forms we mail to IU (I sent mine out yesterday; the legal disclosure form said it needed to be received by IU within 10 days of them sending it to us! :O)

No, and I doubt anyone will--at the end of the interview invite email, it says, "Due to the large volume of emails we receive; we are unable to confirm receipt of emails." The "confirmation" will be when they email you 2-4 weeks before your interview telling you all the details about your interview, the date, etc. (The location should be in there too).

I'm just a fellow applicant, however; anyone is free to correct me on any of this.

Yep! I put in a short "cover letter" to my undergrad office reminding them it had to mailed on to IU after being filled out and gave my email/phone number in case they need to contact me about it (I'm an alum of the school now).

And yes the other two forms we mail to IU (I sent mine out yesterday; the legal disclosure form said it needed to be received by IU within 10 days of them sending it to us! :O)

No, and I doubt anyone will--at the end of the interview invite email, it says, "Due to the large volume of emails we receive; we are unable to confirm receipt of emails."

The "confirmation" will be when they email you 2-4 weeks before your interview telling you all the details about your interview, the date, etc. (The location should be in there too).

I'm just a fellow applicant, however; anyone is free to correct me on any of this.

Oh god seriously?!? I received my II last Friday. Damn!!! That's crazy. I gotta mail it out first thing tomorrow morning then!

Oh god seriously?!? I received my II last Friday. Damn!!! That's crazy. I gotta mail it out first thing tomorrow morning then!

Yeah, I wouldn't have known either had I not read the fine print here in the secondary email:

Legal Disclosure information and form. Among other qualifications, the Admissions Committee considers "character" an important criterion in selecting medical students. In addition, in order to be licensed to practice medicine in Indiana, the law requires that an applicant for licensure "must not have a conviction for a crime that has a direct bearing on the applicant's ability to practice competently." Ind. Code 25-22.5-3-1(b). Please complete and return the Legal Disclosure form within ten days of receipt.

Yeah, I wouldn't have known either had I not read the fine print here in the secondary email:

Legal Disclosure information and form. Among other qualifications, the Admissions Committee considers "character" an important criterion in selecting medical students. In addition, in order to be licensed to practice medicine in Indiana, the law requires that an applicant for licensure "must not have a conviction for a crime that has a direct bearing on the applicant's ability to practice competently." Ind. Code 25-22.5-3-1(b). Please complete and return the Legal Disclosure form within ten days of receipt.

yah. I just saw. thanks for the reminder thou, or else I would never have caught that!!

Did it say anywhere when we will be notified of the exact interview date? Until they receive all our documents?

yah. I just saw. thanks for the reminder thou, or else I would never have caught that!!

Did it say anywhere when we will be notified of the exact interview date? Until they receive all our documents?

No problem.

I have no idea about that; all it says is "Approximately 2-4 weeks prior to your interview you will receive information regarding the interview date and time." :confused:

Checking the 2012-2013 thread right now...Here's an example of some posts:

Last year, I got the secondary on 8/6, interviewed on 8/24.

8-16-12:
got my interview date today! we apparently have to respond within a certain number of days and i didn't get an email or anything. just a status update on the status page so i'd check that for sure if you haven't in a while.
+1, 9/5 for me!

8-17-12:
I got the official interview time email today. It did say "If we have not heard from you by 8/17/12 [aka today] the Admissions Office reserves the right to cancel your interview." So, make sure to check your email today! My actual interview time is 9:30 on 9/5, and it also lists time for a financial aid session and an information session.

+1. Interview at 3:00. I talked to a student last year who said the number of people interviewing on his day was 35-40. I hope that's more accurate... much better than 100 or so.

I got my interview date and my official invite, and only one of my forms has been marked as received. So I don't think that having all of your forms in has to do anything with when you get your interview info.

Check page 4 onward of the 2012-2013 thread for more info. :)

do you think it would be fine to use my research advisor for the "personal evaluation"

i'm not working on a graduate degree this is like a paid research position so he's also my boss

No problem.

I have no idea about that; all it says is "Approximately 2-4 weeks prior to your interview you will receive information regarding the interview date and time." :confused:

Checking the 2012-2013 thread right now...Here's an example of some posts:

8-16-12:

8-17-12:

Check page 4 onward of the 2012-2013 thread for more info. :)

Thanks for the info!!

do you think it would be fine to use my research advisor for the "personal evaluation"

i'm not working on a graduate degree this is like a paid research position so he's also my boss

I think that third eval. can come from anyone who's in a "supervisor" position to you. I am picking between either my research mentor/advisor or pre-med advisor.

I think so; that's who I used (it fits considering I was never taught in class by my PI, IU's definition of someone who can fill out a personal evaluation).

Thanks for the info!!

I think that third eval. can come from anyone who's in a "supervisor" position to you. I am picking between either my research mentor/advisor or pre-med advisor.

No problem. :)

Any advice if you have a committee letter? It says they do accept committee letters, but then they don't give any details about how to fill out the Letters of Evaluation form. I have a committee letter packet, with four recommenders and one committee letter. Do I just enter the committee letter as one letter and assume they will understand it is a packet?

When I sent my dean of student evaluation to my undergraduate office, they asked if I would like to pick it up when it was complete or if I wanted them to send it to IU for me. Do I need to include all of my supplementary forms together? or can the office send it separately? thanks!

Anyone invited for interview has something marked as complete on their status page? Or did anyone receive an interview date yet?

Anyone invited for interview has something marked as complete on their status page? Or did anyone receive an interview date yet?

Neither. :( I sent all my materials in last week so I am hoping to be complete and/or hear the interview date soon. I'd also really like to know the date soon because I have another interview to schedule and I hear IU interviews are really hard to reschedule...

Neither. :( I sent all my materials in last week so I am hoping to be complete and/or hear the interview date soon. I'd also really like to know the date soon because I have another interview to schedule and I hear IU interviews are really hard to reschedule...

I feel you. I sent all my materials in last week and the supplemental application. Really hoping to see something get marked complete and hear back about the interview dates!

I feel you. I sent all my materials in last week and the supplemental application. Really hoping to see something get marked complete and hear back about the interview dates!

Oh yeah I forgot about the supplemental app--I did that too and IU charged my credit card on 8-1.

Definitely hope we hear soon! :)

I mailed all the necessary forms a day after my II, but for some reason nothing has been marked complete or received..

Oh yeah I forgot about the supplemental app--I did that too and IU charged my credit card on 8-1.

Definitely hope we hear soon! :)

where do you see that you had to pay money? i haven't done this yet.

also, it says that indiana wants official transcripts? AMCAS isn't enough? has anyone sent their transcripts yet

where do you see that you had to pay money? i haven't done this yet.

also, it says that indiana wants official transcripts? AMCAS isn't enough? has anyone sent their transcripts yet

Go back and read the email. You need to register for an account ontheir graduate website and fill out a supplemental application + payment.

And no I don't believe you need to mail in a transcript unless you are accepted.

On the secondary application concerning our MCAT scores it says "You must have the testing agency send scores directly to IUPUI." So does IUPUI really not use the MCAT scores on our AMCAS application? I can't find anything else in the application instructions about this so I'm wondering if it really is necessary for us to have the testing agency send our scores specifically to IUPUI. Could anyone shed some light on this for me?