2013-2014 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 9-4-13, rejected 6-5-14. What a joke. OOS but with strong ties to the school & state; I guess my stats just weren't high enough for them.

Warning to future applicants--don't apply to IU if you're OOS unless you have high stats; the interview/ties to the school/state apparently mean nothing.

I know this comes off strongly of bitterness, but I have other acceptances so it's mostly annoyance at hearing NOTHING for 9 months, only to get a rejection in the end. They could've rejected me in Nov/Dec/Jan and I would've had closure months ago. Their process is ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 9-4-13, rejected 6-5-14. What a joke. OOS but with strong ties to the school & state; I guess my stats just weren't high enough for them.

Warning to future applicants--don't apply to IU if you're OOS unless you have high stats; the interview/ties to the school/state apparently mean nothing.

I know this comes off strongly of bitterness, but I have other acceptances so it's mostly annoyance at hearing NOTHING for 9 months, only to get a rejection in the end. They could've rejected me in Nov/Dec/Jan and I would've had closure months ago. Their process is ridiculous.

Well said. I can't like your message enough so here's another like .
It's true, don't waste your time applying to IUSM if you're not an instate resident. I was there with you at the Sept 4 interview and these nine months have been killing me. You would think an interview offer almost a year ago in July and an early interview in September meant that they were super interested. Totally read that wrong. I share your sentiment. IUSM Admissions Committee should really be ashamed in how slow and unresponsive they are. No matter how many times anyone calls, they redirect you to their online portal, which doesn't answer my questions. I really wish I knew I was rejected right away last year. I am depressed :(

Last edited:
Seriously, f$&@ this. IUSM is extremely frustrating. For rejected applicants notified by June 6, how are they expected to successfully reapply? It's way too late if one needs to take a year off and strengthen their application. I mean, it's already time to submit AMCAS again. This is a complete joke.

Obviously, I was rejected by email today. OOS. A short, brief email probably reflecting a decision made a long time ago. One would think that an admissions committee to a medical school would act more expeditiously but I guess not. Huge disappointment.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Made the waitlist! Received the email about an hour ago.

Stay possitivie! Thats to all of you guys who have been placed on the wait list. My Friend recently withdrew so I hope one of you guys gets the spot and join us this coming fall. Also, there is hope all the way till July and even August. Last year one of my friend's friend got an acceptance letter a week before school started so there is hope! #NeverGiveUp

Hey guys! I know how frustrating it is waiting on schools and all the silence. But don't give in! And I'm sure you guys are all great applicants with great stats, it's just that the pool of candidates is so huge it's hard to stand out. I was rejected twice before finally getting through. I am OOS, had a really low GPA in undergrad but then brought it up with a Master's, average to low MCAT, no ties to IUSM, and still got in. Don't give up!!! It is so worth once you get the call/email, you forget about the application process and leave it all behind. A Dean who rejected me gave me the best advice, "look at your application, figure out what's weak.....and fix it. Simple as that, or at least shine with something else".

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there was an official e-mail sent out regarding immunization documentation?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I found it ;)

Last edited:
I suppose they are taking longer this year than last year.

Has anyone heard anything new about scholarships? I remember hearing that the Financial Aid Committee meets in mid June to discuss awarding need-based scholarship, and was really hoping to hear something back before I accept that huge onslaught of loans...

Got an acceptance letter today! The waitlist is moving!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about registering for classes?

I can't believe I FINALLY get to make this post. I got accepted off the wait list about a week ago. So much to get done in such a short amount of time now!

I GOT THE CALL TODAY! ACCEPTED ONTO THE INDIANAPOLIS CAMPUS! :happy:

Congrats and welcome! :clap:

I got Indy too.

Encouragement for any IUSM SDN'ers who are flipping through the forums from years past :)
Here is my timeline etc.

IS
MCAT: 30
GPA: 3.86

Sent in application mid-October
II mid-January.
Interview mid-February
Waitlisted June 4th
Accepted July 23rd

Things that probably got me in...
Sending in letters of interest/updates every couple months. I also sent one directly to the director of admissions after being placed on the alternate list.
Meeting with the admissions office to discuss my reapplication.
Sending in additional recommendation letters.
Reapplying for the following year as an EDP applicant. I don't know if this helped, but it certainly showed that I was still very interested in IU.

Last edited:
New
My friend told me that IU is a bad medical school because there are so many students. She said that there are 340 medical students + PA students from IU + PA students from Butler + DO students from Marion so the learning services are so packed with students, about 8 students per rotation, that she never gets to do anything except shadow residents. She told me she has been doing that for 4 years and that the PA and DO students are basically doing what she does. Anyone hear different?

New
My friend told me that IU is a bad medical school because there are so many students. She said that there are 340 medical students + PA students from IU + PA students from Butler + DO students from Marion so the learning services are so packed with students, about 8 students per rotation, that she never gets to do anything except shadow residents. She told me she has been doing that for 4 years and that the PA and DO students are basically doing what she does. Anyone hear different?

Last edited: