2014-2015 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
app put on hold last week...first contact from them since Sept....really hope I get a shot at that interview. but doubtful so late into the cycle =|

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys - I was recently accepted (wooo class of 2019!) and am looking for roommates as well. I just posted a thread on the Housing forum but I figured I'd link it here as I would prefer that my roommates be my AMC classmates and not Albany randos haha. Thanks!

Dude, what's wrong with you? I was specifically talking about my interview experience at Albany Med. It's specific to the school. I compared it to the other interviews I had (some of which were DO). I suggest you get checked… maybe by Dr. Phil! I said Albany Med is a great school. I have no issues with the school. I thought my experience would be helpful to others (wish people had told me to edge on the idealist end before my interview), hence I shared. I have several other acceptances in hand, so I'm not devastated or even mildly sad so I wouldn't know what to cry about (but, for some folks Albany Med is their only shot at med school, so I was trying to help them out). This post really doesn't make you out to be as mature as you claim to be.

Good luck with your other interviews and good luck to all those interviewing at AMC! And congrats to all those accepted, including you Pdoc387!

I'm reading some of these comments on this thread and just seriously rolling my eyes...(1) this thread is about AMC. I don't care about anyone's opinion regarding DO interviews vs. MD interviews. Take that somewhere else. (2) To said person complaining about her experience at AMC, grow up. You state you are a "non-traditional student" yet you act like an immature undergrad. As someone with my Ph.D., which is technically a non-traditional by definition, I enjoyed AMC and I'm happy I got accepted. Go cry on a Dr. Phil thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone wants a true analysis of AMC here you go: 1) I've applied three times in the past. Twice I had LizzyM scores of x<60. I did not receive an interview either time. When my LizzyM score rose to 65>x<75, I received an interview. 2) at first, two weeks post-interview, I received an "on hold status". 1 month post-interview, I received an acceptance with two-four days to respond. The month could have been due to the holiday season and not a delay. 3) my interviewers on that aforementioned interview day were indeed interested in hearing about me despite being told earlier that they wouldn't be. I don't know whether on your day with your interviewers this will be the case. You must judge for yourself. 4) I applied on the first day secondaries came out and received an interview invitation in Sept., 5) the MMI format was much like other institutions I had witnessed. The scenarios, order of scenarios, etc. could change and probably do change so said advice in that area would be irrelevant for any prospective applicant. And finally, based on my experience--and only based on my experience on said day with specific interviewers---AMC values LizzyM scores to a certain degree. That valuation makes no difference once you acquire said interview. I believe, mind you, conjecture, that the LizzyM score is a threshold of an arbitrary number that you must pass. It probably plays a baseline role and the numbers from your interviewers are tacked on. If you hit threshold "x" you are offered a hold, if you are over threshold "y" you are voted on to be offered a place. If you're below a situation where you could pass threshold "x" due to your LizzyM being too low (even assuming you'd receive perfect scores from your interviews), you won't receive an interview. I'm sure they use some other analyzes to bump up or decrease said LizzyM score based on you experienced, race, socioeconomics, etc..

I truly hope that you find some peace in your life and stop bullying others online. Congratulations that you have found success in your medical school application cycle - now please stop spewing negativity across several threads. Your "true analysis" is as true as any other applicant who has interviewed and shared their experience of AMC. You hide behind your unnecessarily wordy responses and need to belittle others to boost your own self-esteem. I hope you can reflect on your motivations and actions on SDN, and understand that the medical field is about positive collaboration to ultimately help patients and the world that we live in. Think before you post and ask yourself whether your comments are positively contributing (including constructive criticism) to the conversation and if not, please do not post anymore.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Or maybe it's the verbosity and wall of run on laden texts.

Seriously, give it a rest. This thread had it's hiccups as many do, but this is the first true major derailment. If you're looking for a soapbox please look elsewhere.

Reactions: 6 users
My interview advice was not so specific that it mattered which person is interviewing you. It was general to MMIs (Albany was my first MMI). And, it's not the word of God. People can choose to ignore it. It's just advice that I wish I was given. Like I said, I didn't know what I was getting into and I wanted to help those whose ONLY shot at med school is AMC. Personally, AMC was not high on my list and I would have only gone there had I been offered an acceptance with aid money (my gf went to SUNY Upstate and the winters in upstate NY are pretty rough). If all remains the same, I'll be either in Miami or in Fort Lauderdale (money will dictate that).

On a different note, being very familiar with the Albany area, I actually agree with your advice that May is the best time to look for housing in Albany (ideally early to mid-May, but you can start identifying places late April). If you decide to have a roommate, best to identify the roommate first and look together.

Since I've shared everything I can, I won't be on this thread much more (unless I'm quoted). Good luck to all of you attending AMC and I look forward to having you as colleagues in the future!

P.S. I followed a lot of the advice on sdn and ended up with several MD and DO interviews and acceptances all on my first shot at applying to school. So there is definitely some good advice on sdn.

Your arguments are unfounded and unfortunately, misguided. Imprimis, your "experience" whether that be at AMC or any other institution is unique to you. This is due to several factors: a) on that day--of your interview--you had certain said interviewers. Does this mean that the aforementioned interviewers are the same on every day of interviewing? No. Therefore, why would your advice regarding certain interviewers be relevant when on a completely separate day a whole new group of interviews are conducting said interviews? b) even if said interviewers were the same (and in a traditional interview someone defied the odds and obtained the same exact interviewers you did in the same order) what are the chances that the mood of the interviewers would be the same? Maybe you caught the people conducting the interviews on a good or bad day...c) say you were able to standardize this and the interviewers mood on your interview was similar to said mood on the person for whom you are trying to give advice to, aren't your backgrounds different? Aren't you unique? Aren't they unique? Aren't the people before and after the interviews with that interviewer unique? Thus, how could your advice be of any relevance when there are so many variables that could determine how said interview goes? And d) your advice, even though you pretend it to be benign and helpful, actually is your way of venting because things didn't go your way. But, even if I'm wrong on said analysis on why you are placing said opinion, it is indeed, a wrong and detrimental opinion that could, if people took it seriously, serve to hurt them in some way, shape or form. I truly suggest you take said opinions and ask yourself: what service do they provide and why am I sharing it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My interview advice was not so specific that it mattered which person is interviewing you. It was general to MMIs (Albany was my first MMI). And, it's not the word of God. People can choose to ignore it. It's just advice that I wish I was given. Like I said, I didn't know what I was getting into and I wanted to help those whose ONLY shot at med school is AMC. Personally, AMC was not high on my list and I would have only gone there had I been offered an acceptance with aid money (my gf went to SUNY Upstate and the winters in upstate NY are pretty rough). If all remains the same, I'll be either in Miami or in Fort Lauderdale (money will dictate that).

On a different note, being very familiar with the Albany area, I actually agree with your advice that May is the best time to look for housing in Albany (ideally early to mid-May, but you can start identifying places late April). If you decide to have a roommate, best to identify the roommate first and look together.

Since I've shared everything I can, I won't be on this thread much more (unless I'm quoted). Good luck to all of you attending AMC and I look forward to having you as colleagues in the future!

P.S. I followed a lot of the advice on sdn and ended up with several MD and DO interviews and acceptances all on my first shot at applying to school. So there is definitely some good advice on sdn.

We'll agree to disagree. Best wishes to your future endeavors.

Reactions: 1 user
On a lighter note, I know a real estate agent for anyone looking for an apartment. I, personally, would not look now considering unless you are willing to sign the lease/give the security deposit within a week or two. If not, you'd lose the apartment.

Hi...I have a place already :) I go to RPI right now and am super familiar with the AMC area. There's a fabulous rental company that all my older AMC friends have rented with, so I signed a lease for a 3bedroom and am just looking for two roommates. I'll link my post again here if anyone's interested in rooming with me

Interviewed here last week and I am ready to complaint about how none of the other interviewees wanted to share a hotel room and EVERYONE was staying by themselves.
I guess they enjoy spending? What a disgrace to the broke student community.

Had my first interview last week here in AMC. LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!
Except the -6 weather.

This school seems fantastic and I hope they call me ASAP.
The questions were fairly easy. The ratio of men-to-women interviewing was pathetic.
I clicked well with most of the interviewers and think my answers were precise.
But like I have to wait two to three weeks. HOW WILL I SURVIVE?????

Future interviewees feel free to hit me up with questions

Interviewed here last week and I am ready to complaint about how none of the other interviewees wanted to share a hotel room and EVERYONE was staying by themselves.

Except the -6 weather.

The questions were fairly easy. The ratio of men-to-women interviewing was pathetic.

What is your definition of "pathetic"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what the ratios have been each interview day.

During my interview the ratios for male to female were approximately equal. The official ratios at the college have always maintained equal representation over the last 30 years.

Except the -6 weather.

Maybe no one wanted to room with you because you think they're pathetic.

Interview diversity/ratios don't indicate who comes to the school. Refer to the poster above regarding the m/f ratio at the school.

Good luck.

Except the -6 weather.

I'm jealous, it was over 100 and humid when I left my interview there! :O

Reactions: 1 users
I'm jealous, it was over 100 and humid when I left my interview there! :O

Summer/Early fall interviews were totally awesome. I have spent so much time in airports this winter because of delays from winter storms.

Maybe no one wanted to room with you because you think they're pathetic.

Interview diversity/ratios don't indicate who comes to the school. Refer to the poster above regarding the m/f ratio at the school.

Good luck.

i did not say THEY were pathetic. And yes I am well aware the interviewee ratio does not reflect the student body

Summer/Early fall interviews were totally awesome. I have spent so much time in airports this winter because of delays from winter storms.

I had to rebook a flight after interviewing in miami because of a blizzard in NE. That was pretty nice. I still have a tan line.

I was about to send an update to Albany, and then saw this on my secondary application page: "
We do not accept updates or letters of interest sent to us via fax, "regular mail", or email to supplement the required documents to complete your file. Unsolicited updates that are sent to our office will not be added to your file, nor will they be acknowledged. We will contact you if the Admissions Committee requests updated information."

Is this for pre-interview or post-interview? It would be a shame if it's post-interview, since I have been getting a lot done in my gap year lol.
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

When you get an interview, you can put in an update in a prompt that pops up. I think the above means that they don't take anything pre or post interview.

I'd potentially call them to confirm!

Accepted 2/25, Interviewed 2/11
Really liked Albany, the interviews were fun!

Just thought I would reply to my comment yesterday, I found somewhere else on this thread that Albany doesn't seem to accept updates post-interview except for new grades. Too bad! I was still hoping to let them know I was interested and to let them know what else I have been up to this year!

hi guys! I looked back a few pages but didn't see this - does anyone know if Albany is done interviewing? Apologies if this was covered before!

I am almost certain they are not done interviewing

I think they'd reject the people they weren't considering if they're out of interview spots. I've seen some pre II rejections here already.

They may have. We wouldn't know, because not everyone who is rejected pre-interview blogs it. Furthermore, they may be reserving some spots in case people "withdraw" and/or cancel interview dates they set up.

Just a thought. I don't know either way. Best suggestion to all those wondering is to just call and straight up ask.

That doesn't negate anything I said. Do you get off on trying to contradict everything being said here? Your post actually added nothing of substance here.

They have a pretty healthy under consideration roster and they're not going to be hurting to fill up spots. If they're not even remotely considering interviewing people they will reject them. I'm pretty sure pre II rejections have already come out. And by 'not considering' I mean people they don't even see as viable alternatives to current people that might withdraw post II.

Also, you're not a med student. Why does your profile say you are? Getting a bit ahead of ourselves aren't we?

Does anyone know what day of the week they send Post-interview decisions?

Got mine today. UC. Happy about it though. Very.

Hey, at your interview day, did anyone mention when most decisions would be released? I didn't really see a flood of UC acceptances in February as expected on SDN.

Hey, at your interview day, did anyone mention when most decisions would be released? I didn't really see a flood of UC acceptances in February as expected on SDN.

Perhaps a flood of UC acceptances occured but those who were accepted don't use SDN! :lame:

checking last years thread, it looks like most UC movement (not including REAL late in the cycle) occurred on March 10. hoping for something similar this year!

checking last years thread, it looks like most UC movement (not including REAL late in the cycle) occurred on March 10. hoping for something similar this year!

Thanks man! I am also wondering if the heavy snowfall earlier this winter interfered with adcom meetings. But I will stop guessing and wondering after this one post;).

Thanks man! I am also wondering if the heavy snowfall earlier this winter interfered with adcom meetings. But I will stop guessing and wondering after this one post;).

haha no prob! I've been playing "guess and wonder" all cycle. time will tell

No, actually.

They just explained that only 10% of acceptances go out right away, everyone else will be either rejected or listed UC.
The latest you can hear is June though.

No, actually.

They just explained that only 10% of acceptances go out right away, everyone else will be either rejected or listed UC.
The latest you can hear is June though.

I know at least one person who was accepted just a couple of days before orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today!!! Interviewed 2/24

Reactions: 7 users
Just got an interview today after a long wait since July: 35 MCAT 3.5+ GPA... guess there's still hope!

Eh. Smith machine, plenty of dumbbells, a circuit of lever machines, and a few multifunction cable machines. Syou can do a great workout there but no barbells.

You can bench with dumbbells or on the smith machine. Not optimal. There's a powerlifting gym called Albany Strength not too far away.

Hi. I just received an interview invite to Albany. Can anyone tell me about their experience on interview day? What was the interview like? Can any current students tell me anything about the school? Thanks

Reactions: 2 users