2014-2015 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an II from here!!!

Interviewing February 18th.
I will most likely be landing in JFK then bus it up to Albany the day prior.
If anyone from that date wants to share a hotel room please PM me and we can arrange it. There's a few hotels around and we can share the cab there in the am.
Also, if anyone has suggestions of better accommodations, let them rain.
 
I got an II from here!!!

Interviewing February 18th.
I will most likely be landing in JFK then bus it up to Albany the day prior.
If anyone from that date wants to share a hotel room please PM me and we can arrange it. There's a few hotels around and we can share the cab there in the am.
Also, if anyone has suggestions of better accommodations, let them rain.
Congrats! When were you complete?
 
I got an II from here!!!

Interviewing February 18th.
I will most likely be landing in JFK then bus it up to Albany the day prior.
If anyone from that date wants to share a hotel room please PM me and we can arrange it. There's a few hotels around and we can share the cab there in the am.
Also, if anyone has suggestions of better accommodations, let them rain.
Hilton Garden Inn has a free shuttle to and from from the Albany International Airport AND it connects directly to the medical building. You don't even have to step outside to get to your interview if you stay there.
 
That is really helpful people. Thank you so much.
It is more money to fly to Albany than it is to fly to NYC then bus. Unfortunately.
Since this is my first interview, I wanted to ask y'all

What do you need to bring to the interview?
What do you need to read? I am so scared....
It's my only interview so far so I better rock it
 
That is really helpful people. Thank you so much.
It is more money to fly to Albany than it is to fly to NYC then bus. Unfortunately.
Since this is my first interview, I wanted to ask y'all

What do you need to bring to the interview?
What do you need to read? I am so scared....
It's my only interview so far so I better rock it

Hey, I've interviewed at Albany so I'll try my best to give some advice.

No need to bring anything, just dress professionally and be genuine on interview day. MMI, which is kind of like "speed dating," is not necessarily something you can prepare for. Timing, I think, is pretty important. Make sure the interviewers have a chance to talk/ask questions. As long as you're able to use logic and be reasonable when you answer questions, you'll be fine. You can read on SDN and on the internet about MMIs. Some people say this is helpful for questions about ethics: https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

@ridethecliche has some really good advice about MMIs.


Good luck! Don't be scared! Being nervous will not help in any way, so just relax and have fun!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If they are starting to accept people from the UC, does that mean that they are done going through the regular pile to hand out IIs? I haven't heard any news since submitting my initial application, and checking the portal, they seem to not have updated since 1/22.
 
Does the portal change once you get an "under consideration" status? Got an email, but no change in my portal. Just curious.

And congrats to all those who got accepted! Would be nice to see some more movement in the UC list in the coming weeks.
 
Does the portal change once you get an "under consideration" status? Got an email, but no change in my portal. Just curious.

And congrats to all those who got accepted! Would be nice to see some more movement in the UC list in the coming weeks.

I was on UC from November - January and was accepted recently. I never had a portal change until I got accepted. Best of luck!
 
Do you guys know if there's a Facebook group yet for this entering class? I couldn't find anything about it on this thread... First post here, sorry it's kind of a lame one!
 
Hey Guys!

What days are interviews held? Also, what month do they end? I tried looking at the website and could not find anything.

I have been in the same "ready for review" status since September......very nerve-wracking!

Thanks!
 
I can't answer too many of your questions, but my interview is on Wednesday (Feb 11). It was the first available when I received the email for an invite back in December.


Hey Guys!

What days are interviews held? Also, what month do they end? I tried looking at the website and could not find anything.

I have been in the same "ready for review" status since September......very nerve-wracking!

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On my interview day, I kind of remember the director of admissions telling us that few people are accepted outright, and most people are UC'ed or rejected post-interview. Didn't he also say that most acceptances would roll out in February? I interviewed early in the fall and was UC'ed in November. I enjoyed Albany and upstate NY, and would like to get accepted off the UC list. 🙂
 
On my interview day, I kind of remember the director of admissions telling us that few people are accepted outright, and most people are UC'ed or rejected post-interview. Didn't he also say that most acceptances would roll out in February? I interviewed early in the fall and was UC'ed in November. I enjoyed Albany and upstate NY, and would like to get accepted off the UC list. 🙂

Interesting. I was in the first group to interview so I figured I was awaiting an inevitable rejection. Why do you think they wait? Do you think it has anything to do with waiting to see where candidates have been accepted?
 
Interesting. I was in the first group to interview so I figured I was awaiting an inevitable rejection. Why do you think they wait? Do you think it has anything to do with waiting to see where candidates have been accepted?

Are you UC'ed too? I have seen a lot of schools do similar things with their earlier interviewees. My impression is that this is too balance the playing field for those who interview later. My state school also does this, it waitlists the vast majority post-interview and draws most of the class in from that waitlist.
 
Interesting. I was in the first group to interview so I figured I was awaiting an inevitable rejection. Why do you think they wait? Do you think it has anything to do with waiting to see where candidates have been accepted?

I think they wait because of the large amount of interviews they extend (>1000). They probably want to review a good chunk of the candidates before releasing most of their decisions, hence the UC. Also, some people will withdraw from the UC if they hear back from other schools sooner and don't feel like waiting or if Albany wasn't their top pick among other acceptances. It just helps the process move along more swiftly and ensures that people who are seriously considering Albany get accepted.
 
Interesting. I was in the first group to interview so I figured I was awaiting an inevitable rejection. Why do you think they wait? Do you think it has anything to do with waiting to see where candidates have been accepted?
I was told the same thing at my interview day about very few people being accepted immediately following their interview. They said that they are initially conservative with acceptances because they are very cautious about over-booking the class.
 
Are you UC'ed too? I have seen a lot of schools do similar things with their earlier interviewees. My impression is that this is too balance the playing field for those who interview later. My state school also does this, it waitlists the vast majority post-interview and draws most of the class in from that waitlist.

Yeah, I am. This the only school post-interview I haven't heard back from.

Edit: Just realized that I interviewed 5 months ago today. Quite the wait...
 
Last edited:
Interviewed 1/28, received UC status today. My understanding is that the bar for acceptances has been lowered and will be lowered further this month in order to fill the majority of the class of 2019. Just a realistic look at the chances of being accepted off the UC list, they give 1-2 acceptances every week of interviews according to the last year's thread and observation. 30 to 40 seats are deducted for the students from affiliated schools so out of approx 300 acceptances only approx 260 left. Approximately 40-70 acceptances will be dedicated to students who got an outright acceptance. This leaves 190-220 acceptances for applicants off of the UC list. How many of the acceptances or UC applicants that withdraw will affect the chances of applicants on the UC list as well. Out of an applicant pool of 900-1100, if you are on the UC list there is maybe a 20% chance of being accepted. Of course this may all be bogus, but I like to see things from a quantifiable view.
 
Last edited:
Interviewed 1/28, received UC status today. My understanding is that the bar for acceptances has been lowered and will be lowered further this month in order to fill the majority of the class of 2019. Just a realistic look at the chances of being accepted off the UC list, they give 1-2 acceptances every week of interviews according to the last year's thread and observation. 30 to 40 seats are deducted for the students from affiliated schools so out of approx 300 acceptances only approx 260 left. Approximately 40-70 acceptances will be dedicated to students who got an outright acceptance. This leaves 190-220 acceptances for applicants off of the UC list. How many of the acceptances or UC applicants that withdraw will affect the chances of applicants on the UC list as well. Out of an applicant pool of 900-1100, if you are on the UC list there is maybe a 20% chance of being accepted. Of course this may all be bogus, but I like to see things from a quantifiable view.

I think most of the info in this post isn't accurate.

For one, the bolded bit... I was accepted along with another SDN'er @kthxbai and we were the same MMI session. There were other sessions that day and week and I doubt only the two of us were accepted over the entire week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad