2014-2015 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where's my secondary Case!?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Found it in my spam folder, as well. Thanks to SDN for alerting me to this!!

Reactions: 1 user
This may be a rather dumb question, but why does the university track ask for a detailed essay on research when the college track is more research focused?

This may be a rather dumb question, but why does the university track ask for a detailed essay on research when the college track is more research focused?

I am under the assumption that College Track can see all essays, except for the additional info that explicitely states it is only used for UT.

Is there a word/character limit on the optional essay?

No secondary yet on my end, but actually kind of grateful. Hopefully I'll get to play the catchup/pre-write game this weekend... :yeahright: Really looking forward to being free from secondaries.

Reactions: 3 users
No secondary yet on my end, but actually kind of grateful. Hopefully I'll get to play the catchup/pre-write game this weekend... :yeahright: Really looking forward to being free from secondaries.

+1 lol. Case is the last one I'm waiting to receive but I still have to finish a couple others this weekend that I've been putting off like crazy :/ So they can take their time :D

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted both college & university! might be my biggest reach school, but worth a shot :)

Submitted!! I love how it's 2 secondaries for the price of one.

Reactions: 1 users
Prompts for university track:

The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself as a result. (3500 char.)

Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below. (3500 char)

If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it? (300-1000 char)

Optional additional info essay.

College track prompts:

Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it. (500-1000 char)

Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do? (500-1000 char)

How do you see your career ten years from now? (500-1000 char)

EDIT: one more for the college track: When were you challenged to teach, coach, or mentor someone to learn a new skill or improve an old one? Please describe how it went and what you learned from the experience. (500-1000 characters)
How many characters is the Additional Info Essay for University Track?

I've done a lot of research, but the second prompt asks us to begin talking about a research project. I am stressing a little bit, because I am unsure, if they mean any project, one that was meaningful to me, the most recent one, etc. Any directions, or suggestions for this one would be great!!!

I've done a lot of research, but the second prompt asks us to begin talking about a research project. I am stressing a little bit, because I am unsure, if they mean any project, one that was meaningful to me, the most recent one, etc. Any directions, or suggestions for this one would be great!!!
Agreed, I have several very different projects, so I'm not sure if I should write a little about each or what.

yeah, as an intern/technician I was never really given my own thing to design from head to toe, just tons of small tasks... urgh :[

Finally got the secondary this morning! Was in the spam folder as well.

Complete this morning via status change!

Agreed, I have several very different projects, so I'm not sure if I should write a little about each or what.

I'm speaking for the College track here, but the goal of the essay is to see how you approach research. As such, I would go with the most meaningful/impactful one, and explain your specific involvement in detail along with the scientific reasoning that guided your experimental design (hit all the points in the prompt). If you have several research projects, you can certainly mention it in the essay as well if you have space, but that should already be in the AMCAS activities section regardless. The number one error to avoid is writing it as a scientific abstract, where it is not clear what your actual role was.

I'm speaking for the College track here, but the goal of the essay is to see how you approach research. As such, I would go with the most meaningful/impactful one, and explain your specific involvement in detail along with the scientific reasoning that guided your experimental design (hit all the points in the prompt). If you have several research projects, you can certainly mention it in the essay as well if you have space, but that should already be in the AMCAS activities section regardless. The number one error to avoid is writing it as a scientific abstract, where it is not clear what your actual role was.

I didn't even think to qualify what my role was because it was my research project and I did it all. I did say things like "I chose this method over that method because...." and other indicators that it was me doing the thinking and man hours behind the project. Am I totally screwed for College Track?

I didn't even think to qualify what my role was because it was my research project and I did it all. I did say things like "I chose this method over that method because...." and other indicators that it was me doing the thinking and man hours behind the project. Am I totally screwed for College Track?

It should be perfectly fine given that you wrote in a style that showed that you were the one doing the thinking and driving the project.

It should be perfectly fine given that you wrote in a style that showed that you were the one doing the thinking and driving the project.

Okay thank you! I hope they can tell that from my writing. We'll see!

What email address did you guys get your secondaries from?

^ one of my only schools to be sent to spam

If Case gave you one dollar per secondary essay you complete for them, you could go to McDonalds and buy more calories worth of food than a lot of people in the world get to eat in an entire week.

Just some motivation in case you're upset about having eight essays and needed someone to make you feel like a total d*** for thinking these are difficult.

If Case gave you one dollar per secondary essay you complete for them, you could go to McDonalds and buy more calories worth of food than a lot of people in the world get to eat in an entire week.

Just some motivation in case you're upset about having eight essays and needed someone to make you feel like a total d*** for thinking these are difficult.
Not only do I still feel like complaining, but now I'm hungry...

Any opinions on how optional the university track research essay is? I already talked about my research experiences on my primary (2 most meaningful), so I kind of don't want to talk about them again here.

how do you indicate no affiliation (section 3) in the secondary. It would not let you put "none" and consider the section completed

Any opinions on how optional the university track research essay is? I already talked about my research experiences on my primary (2 most meaningful), so I kind of don't want to talk about them again here.

On mine it says the essay is required? The only way out is if you haven't done any research. The prompt is fairly specific in what they want you to include, unlike the most meaningful sections, so I would err on the side of caution and write the essay.

"Required Essay: Research

Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below."

...and I'm halfway done with this thing. :dead: Goodness gracious, this is one marathon of a secondary.

On mine it says the essay is required? The only way out is if you haven't done any research. The prompt is fairly specific in what they want you to include, unlike the most meaningful sections, so I would err on the side of caution and write the essay.

...and I'm halfway done with this thing. :dead: Goodness gracious, this is one marathon of a secondary.

I think people are confused because in the past it WAS optional, even with research experience.

If you have research experience, you should write that essay. Even though you've already talked about it, the prompt is quite specific about what they want you to include.

If you have research experience, you should write that essay. Even though you've already talked about it, the prompt is quite specific about what they want you to include.
What are your thoughts on multiple research projects that are very different from each other. Like let's say bench research and then public health research. Should I just pick one? Or write about both?

I think people are confused because in the past it WAS optional, even with research experience.

It says "Optional Scholarly Essay" for University Track for me.

Haha fine fine, I should stop being lazy.

I've worked in several types of research, all long term, but I chose one specific project because the prompt asked about pretty specific stuff.

What are your thoughts on multiple research projects that are very different from each other. Like let's say bench research and then public health research. Should I just pick one? Or write about both?

I concur with @juliuspepperwood

I'm just choosing the project I was the most involved in ...and I can barely even describe its premise in 3500 characters. Oh, the woes of my absurdly narrow, comically specific research area. T___T

I concur with @juliuspepperwood

I'm just choosing the project I was the most involved in ...and I can barely even describe its premise in 3500 characters. Oh, the woes of my absurdly narrow, comically specific research area. T___T
Fair enough, agreed. These questions are tough! The improvement one is throwing me for a loop too... I'm obviously perfect. :laugh:

Btw, has anyone else not received a secondary? I know Case Western doesn't screen, but I'm just not sure at what point I should maybe send an e-mail to ask.

Edit: I checked my spam folder, and it's not there either :C

Last edited:
Wow thank goodness I checked this thread out, turns out mine was sitting in my spam folder all along as well!