2014-2015 Dartmouth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

me too!!! love this school and this program :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to party with Keggy the Keg...one of my dream schools!

Just got verified today! I'm absolutely PUMPED to be applying. This is a bit of a reach for me, but hopefully they dig the older student underdog ;)

Best of luck, crew!

Reactions: 1 users
Do we know if the schools are actually looking at "verified" applications yet? Because it says on AMCAS that the applications arent sent to schools until 27th of this month... So technically whats the difference in applying the first day or June 26th?

Verified applications are not released until the 27th. So, if you're verified on June 26th, you are in the same boat as someone verified June 3rd. The only difference is people who submitted June 3rd are likely to have the quickest turn around times in getting verified.

Do we know if the schools are actually looking at "verified" applications yet? Because it says on AMCAS that the applications arent sent to schools until 27th of this month... So technically whats the difference in applying the first day or June 26th?

Can current students comment on Dartmouth's rural location and Hanover in general?

Can current students comment on Dartmouth's rural location and Hanover in general?

I'm not a current student but I have been up to that area several times at different times of the year. It is relatively isolated and rural in general. Hanover is nice, but its small and kind of expensive especially in comparison with the surrounding area. A handful of decent restaurants and bars. Not much to say about White River Junction. I think I ate at a Paneras there once :). General consensus from most of my friends though is that if you're into outdoorsy type stuff its pretty sweet. Canoeing and kayaking pretty close by. Last time I was up there I had time to go snowboarding at Mt. Snow in Vermont (couple hours) and hike around Quechee Gorge which was beautiful (bout 20 minutes from Hanover). I also think that Dartmouth has a few cabins that are available to students on Mt. Moosilauke for cheap or free (can't remember).

As an aside Geisel's patient base is not very ethnically diverse but apparently they do have one of the highest case-mix indexes (indexi? Stupid Latin correspondence course).

Not authoritative but I hope this helps.
All from my own impressions and humble intelligence gathering techniques:bow:

Applying to Dartmouth OOS.

My cousin is there for undergrad and absolutely loves the location. It's a bit more "removed" from everything than I'm used to, but it's beautiful and there's actually a fair amount to do. What I want to know is how the opportunities are for someone very interested in emergency medicine. I'm not sure a rural area would be as advantageous as somewhere like NY or Chicago, but perhaps that comes into play more when residency rolls around.

Just got verified today! I'm absolutely PUMPED to be applying. This is a bit of a reach for me, but hopefully they dig the older student underdog ;)

Best of luck, crew!
According to the stats on US NEWS, 85% of medical students at Geisel were non-traditional students. Medical schools also seem to like older applicants as they usually have more life experiences. I personally took 8 years to complete my undergrad and will be matriculating at Geisel SOM this year. I would suggest that you do not view your relative age as a negative, but more as a positive. Goodluck

Applying to Dartmouth OOS.

My cousin is there for undergrad and absolutely loves the location. It's a bit more "removed" from everything than I'm used to, but it's beautiful and there's actually a fair amount to do. What I want to know is how the opportunities are for someone very interested in emergency medicine. I'm not sure a rural area would be as advantageous as somewhere like NY or Chicago, but perhaps that comes into play more when residency rolls around.

The teaching hospital for the Geisel SOM, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, is a level 1 trauma hospital.

According to the stats on US NEWS, 85% of medical students at Geisel were non-traditional students. Medical schools also seem to like older applicants as they usually have more life experiences. I personally took 8 years to complete my undergrad and will be matriculating at Geisel SOM this year. I would suggest that you do not view your relative age as a negative, but more as a positive. Goodluck

Thanks for the insight! I just got my 9th full-length publication acceptance this morning, so I'm hoping that will help bolster my chances.

Congratulations on your acceptance! My husband is about to take his Step I.... you're (we're) in for a wild ride! :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, I noticed this too. Doesn't it seem too high? Or is this the type of student Dartmouth usually accepts? I'm applying as a traditional Canadian, so I'm hoping I can get a chance at this school.

Whoa, yikes. Hopefully my trad-ness won't hold me back too much here!

Thanks for the insight! I just got my 9th full-length publication acceptance this morning, so I'm hoping that will help bolster my chances.

Daaaang. How long have you been in research? I'm still waiting to hear back on my second!

Seriously? Dang, that's awesome. :D

Does anyone know if Dartmouth focuses on group work in their curriculum? I couldn't really find too much about it on their website.

Daaaang. How long have you been in research? I'm still waiting to hear back on my second!

In orthopedics? Almost 4 years (you know I'm one of them geriatric applicants!). I've run around like a mad woman in that time period: 9 full manuscripts + 4 international supplements (so, 13 publications altogether -- 7 first author, I think), 2 manuscripts pending final decision, two more on my drafting table for submission in the next couple of months, 10+ posters, podium presentations....

Yay, research! :D

Congratulations on your first publication, and good luck on nailin' that second!!! If you've been researching for less than 2 years, I'd say you're doing rather well. My first year, or so, was a lot of learning. When I drafted my first manuscript, and it got published, PIs took notice. Then, more and more people wanted to collaborate, which was awesome. It got to the point where I was asked to co-author a few book chapters for surgical techniques, but I was so swamped with other projects that I had to take it home. But, pulling long nights without pay was noticed and the guy made me the first author (which I was super humbled by). So, once you break past a certain threshold (for me it was about 2 years) you suddenly have an abundance of data AND street cred. You may even have to turn work down!

.........but you'll be in medical school soon.... doesn't apply to you, my man ;)

Last edited:
@BeachBlondie

Very impressive. It seems like most of the orthopedics groups I'm familiar with publish very frequently. I wonder if it's the field or if they just hire top-notch people! If I was part of an admissions committee and I saw an applicant with your academic productivity, I don't think I would really care what their undergrad GPA was. You're not applying to any MD/PhD programs, are you?

After about two years, I'm just hitting the tipping point in productivity. I just submitted a first-author textbook chapter and I have a couple other papers in the works too, so it does seem like the wrong time to jump ship! (Not that I really intend to; I hope to continue in research to some degree for the rest of my life...)

@BeachBlondie

Very impressive. It seems like most of the orthopedics groups I'm familiar with publish very frequently. I wonder if it's the field or if they just hire top-notch people! If I was part of an admissions committee and I saw an applicant with your academic productivity, I don't think I would really care what their undergrad GPA was. You're not applying to any MD/PhD programs, are you?

After about two years, I'm just hitting the tipping point in productivity. I just submitted a first-author textbook chapter and I have a couple other papers in the works too, so it does seem like the wrong time to jump ship! (Not that I really intend to; I hope to continue in research to some degree for the rest of my life...)

No MD/PhD for me! I considered it. Heavily, actually. But, many of my mentors (all researching clinicians) advised against it... especially considering I'll be 29 when (if) I matriculate. Half of them had both degrees, half of them didn't. They said, at the end of the day, I can continue a career in research regardless; the MD/PhD would only really be handy if I wanted to become the Director of a lab.

....I can only hope the admissions committees feel the same way you do regarding GPA! Because mine's uh.....*cough* a couple of standard deviations lower than everyone's average. Not for lack of trying, though! We'll see... I'm a good example of an applicant with amazing aspects to my application (D-1 athlete, lots of unique volunteering, research coming out of my ears, (what will be) a good MCAT score), but a deficit in GPA. I'm going into the cycle hoping for the best, but expecting to get my teeth kicked in.

No dual degree for you either, I assume?

Last edited:
Hi all!

Good luck to everyone applying...I was in your shoes last year and I'm sooo excited to be matriculating at Geisel in the fall. I really do think it is a special place and I hope you get to come for an interview and visit. The one piece of advice I have to give is to try your very best effort on the secondary. I think Geisel is one of those schools that especially cares about how well you will fit in with their specific school and their unique location.

While I was on my interview trail, each school basically said the same thing--that they are supportive, that they collaborate, that they care about the personal touch. However, Geisel was by far the best at actually put of all this into practice.

That's about all I can say. Good luck again~

Reactions: 2 users
No dual degree for you either, I assume?

That's correct. I debated about it for quite a while as well. Aside from earlier and improved R01/R21 funding, there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage to it. I just don't see myself running a lab at this point, so that's not really a strong draw for me.

Your ECs sound awesome. I'm sure you'll get plenty of attention once you crush the MCAT!

That's correct. I debated about it for quite a while as well. Aside from earlier and improved R01/R21 funding, there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage to it. I just don't see myself running a lab at this point, so that's not really a strong draw for me.

Your ECs sound awesome. I'm sure you'll get plenty of attention once you crush the MCAT!

Just following your lead ;)

Non-trad Canadian applying. Just added the school to round out my list! Good luck everyone.

Any word on secondaries so far?

Does anyone know last years secondary prompts?

Does anyone know last years secondary prompts?
Please indicate your plans for the 2013-14 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Almost 4 years (you know I'm one of them geriatric applicants!).

The average age of last year's entering class (2013) was 28. So as someone who is matriculating this year and lets just say a 'few' years older than you :whistle:, if you're geriatric than I'm the crypt keeper LOL

Needless to say, at Geisel it seems to be that. . . being an interesting human being >>>> than numbers alone

Best of luck ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I noticed this too. Doesn't it seem too high? Or is this the type of student Dartmouth usually accepts? I'm applying as a traditional Canadian, so I'm hoping I can get a chance at this school.
I looked at other schools and they also have really high percentages. If the numbers are that high I don't thing non-trads are non-traditional anymore... Kinda makes me feel like its not worth dropping $130 on this secondary. But maybe its inflated because there are many more non-trad applicants?

The average age of last year's entering class (2013) was 28. So as someone who is matriculating this year and lets just say a 'few' years older than you :whistle:, if you're geriatric than I'm the crypt keeper LOL

Needless to say, at Geisel it seems to be that. . . being an interesting human being >>>> than numbers alone

Best of luck ;)

Boom. Hopefully we can race our walkers through the halls, then :D

Congrats!

(Also, help me out here: how do you pronounce "Geisel"? Guy-zul? Gee-zul? Jee-zul?)

Best of luck ;)

Sounds like my kind of school :).

Congrats!

(Also, help me out here: how do you pronounce "Geisel"? Guy-zul? Gee-zul? Jee-zul?)

Guy - Zul (Uh sound in Zul)

Congrats!

When people ask where I'm going, I just say Dartmouth. . . Ain't nobody got time to explain why it's Dr. Seuss Med School.

With that said, the title of this group is off . . .Dartmouth University doesn't exist?? It should be Dartmouth College or Geisel.

Question for anyone who goes to Geisel at dartmouth or knows anyone who does:
could you tell me about some opportunities that you really enjoyed being a part of at Dartmouth medical school and would recommend to anyone who is going there? What opportunities at Dartmouth really influenced your perception of medicine and the medical speciality you're considering?
How close are the faculty to students? is it relatively easy to talk to faculty members and get involved with their research? I know there's a good faculty to student ratio so ideally each student will be able to work with and get to know faculty members. What are some research opportunities you have explored?
Could you tell me about the way the curriculum is structured at Dartmouth and how that affected your education?

Reapplicant here! Interviewed last fall and was waitlisted. Still waiting to hear a decision, but I would love to go here. It's a great school!

Anyone get a secondary yet?

When did the secondary come out last year?

First secondary received post on last years thread was June 28th.

Last edited:
When did the secondary come out last year?

It was out on the 28th of June... Hope that doesn't mean big changes to the application in terms of what the essays are.

But if nobody is getting them I feel better. I had a couple secondaries get caught in my spam filter so I figured I would check here before I badger the admissions office to resend the email

Got a secondary this morning! I went here for undergrad though, if it matters!

Secondary just arrived. This is probably my top choice among schools that aren't enormous reaches for me.

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2014-15 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Also received secondary.

Unsure what to say for question #2 since a lot of the new stuff I'd be sharing would be mentioned as part of #1 :(

Also received secondary.

Unsure what to say for question #2 since a lot of the new stuff I'd be sharing would be mentioned as part of #1 :(

My impression is that you can share something kind of qwirky if you want to. Professional type things are most likely going to be on your application somewhere already.

I think I'll use my diversity essay for #2, since I don't really talk about that experience elsewhere in my application. Are you guys doing something like that too?

I think I'll use my diversity essay for #2, since I don't really talk about that experience elsewhere in my application. Are you guys doing something like that too?

Yeah, I wasn't sure either. I think I recall seeing people from last year put their diversity statement in, so I think that'll be more than acceptable.

I wrote an essay that is sort of a combo diversity/greatest challenge, but I'm not 100% certain if I want to use it. If I'm going to drop a whopping $130 on a secondary, I want to feel happy with what I put down.