2014-2015 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know the interviewing format? I heard its only one interview, one on one

1 on 1, with either a physician, PhD, or MS4. Mine was with a physician earlier today. They also give you a bio of your interviewer a little bit before so you can read about them, which was nice I thought.

Anyone know when the earliest interviews at Georgetown are? Have they started already?

I interviewed today.

For everyone interested, I really liked the interview! My interviewer was nice and was very open about the process, what was going to happen, and what the Admissions Committee wants them to ask/rate us on. It was only supposed to be about 30 minutes, but we spoke for more than an hour. Breakfast was not provided (other than granola bars or something like that during check-in), so if you're big on breakfast keep that in mind. Hosts were awesome, I definitely recommend doing that. A lot of students live within walking distance from campus, mine were literally a block away. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the school, and ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Curriculum sounds good, and it seems like Georgetown has a strong reputation among residency program directors for turning out excellent clinicians.
 
1 on 1, with either a physician, PhD, or MS4. Mine was with a physician earlier today. They also give you a bio of your interviewer a little bit before so you can read about them, which was nice I thought.



I interviewed today.

For everyone interested, I really liked the interview! My interviewer was nice and was very open about the process, what was going to happen, and what the Admissions Committee wants them to ask/rate us on. It was only supposed to be about 30 minutes, but we spoke for more than an hour. Breakfast was not provided (other than granola bars or something like that during check-in), so if you're big on breakfast keep that in mind. Hosts were awesome, I definitely recommend doing that. A lot of students live within walking distance from campus, mine were literally a block away. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the school, and ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Curriculum sounds good, and it seems like Georgetown has a strong reputation among residency program directors for turning out excellent clinicians.
Thank you for the description, Sundancing. I particularly like the breakfast advice!! What did you like the best? Was it the people?
 
Thank you for the description, Sundancing. I particularly like the breakfast advice!! What did you like the best? Was it the people?

Honestly, the people were awesome. The hosts I stayed with were down to Earth, normal people--definitely the kind of guys I'd normally be friends with. Same with the M2's we had lunch with and spent some time with. The consensus from them was that Georgetown does a good job of accepting pretty sociable people. I also thought the admissions staff were great. They were helpful, very polite, and Ms. Sullivan's talk was awesome. I can't imagine why someone would have a problem with her or her talk (see SDN interview feedback).

Another thing I liked about Georgetown is its reputation for producing effective clinicians. If you head over to the intern forums, you'll see a lot of posts about interns freaking out in their their first few months about not knowing what to do. At Georgetown, you can do an "acting internship" as an MS4 where you have all the responsibilities of an intern, i.e. manage multiple patients, put in orders, plan, receive first call, etc.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First rejection and one of my top 3 choices- really thought I resonated with their mission and that it showed but what can you do. Decisions these next few months are going to be hard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, the people were awesome. The hosts I stayed with were down to Earth, normal people--definitely the kind of guys I'd normally be friends with. Same with the M2's we had lunch with and spent some time with. The consensus from them was that Georgetown does a good job of accepting pretty sociable people. I also thought the admissions staff were great. They were helpful, very polite, and Ms. Sullivan's talk was awesome. I can't imagine why someone would have a problem with her or her talk (see SDN interview feedback).

Another thing I liked about Georgetown is its reputation for producing effective clinicians. If you head over to the intern forums, you'll see a lot of posts about interns freaking out in their their first few months about not knowing what to do. At Georgetown, you can do an "acting internship" as an MS4 where you have all the responsibilities of an intern, i.e. manage multiple patients, put in orders, plan, receive first call, etc.
Thanks so much for sharing. As a clinician wannabe, I find this description compelling!
 
Jumping on the big fat rejection train! (Submitted 7/21)
crazy-train.jpg

Don't worry. There are many of us already aboard that train 🙂

We're moving on to greener pastures.
 
II! Re-applicant, non-trad, ~3.7,36. Compete 8/4. So stoked to interview here, definitely one of my top choices.
 
II! Re-applicant, non-trad, ~3.7,36. Compete 8/4. So stoked to interview here, definitely one of my top choices.
ahh so exciting to hear that people complete in august getting interviews and hearing back! i was complete between 8/15-8/20 and i would love to interview at georgetown.
 
Sorry to hear that. I just got a rejection yesterday as well...it resulted in lots of Bacardi. Mind if I ask your stats and when you were complete?

It was a reach, for sure. I was complete end of July-ish (can't remember the date right now) and 3.63c/3.57s/32. Non-traditional, tons of clinical and music-related ECs, but my numbers were a tad below what they like.
 
It was a reach, for sure. I was complete end of July-ish (can't remember the date right now) and 3.63c/3.57s/32. Non-traditional, tons of clinical and music-related ECs, but my numbers were a tad below what they like.

I was looking at your mdapps and we have almost the exact same mcat scores lol
 
It was a reach, for sure. I was complete end of July-ish (can't remember the date right now) and 3.63c/3.57s/32. Non-traditional, tons of clinical and music-related ECs, but my numbers were a tad below what they like.

I actually don't think you're too far off!! I have 3.5/30 so I'm sure I'll be joining you soon. Good luck with your other schools man I'm sure you'll rock it somewhere else.
 
I think they really do take a holistic view because I have a 29 and got an interview. I consider my mcat weak but I'm strong everywhere else ... Or maybe I'm just super lucky. Either way I can't believe my luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
will an 8 on the physical sciences section rule me out?

http://som.georgetown.edu/prospectivestudents/degrees/md/guide

As per the Georgetown 2015 Guide to Application, a "highly competitive applicant" scores at least a 10 in each section, while a "non-competitive applicant" scores less than or equal to 8 in the physical or biological sciences section, or a 7 in the verbal reasoning section. It depends- I imagine you wouldn't get ruled out if you scored higher on the biological sciences and verbal reasoning.
 
Is it too late to submit my secondary to Georgetown today? I have 33/3.5sGPA, decent clinical research, physician shadowing, research and lots of community service. Also fall under disadvantaged. Thanks.

I wanted to add more schools but not sure if its worth the 100 dollars.
 
Is it too late to submit my secondary to Georgetown today? I have 33/3.5sGPA, decent clinical research, physician shadowing, research and lots of community service. Also fall under disadvantaged. Thanks.

I wanted to add more schools but not sure if its worth the 100 dollars.
Yeah, I'm wondering about the same thing. Also, if we add more schools, do we have to pay an extra fee?