2014-2015 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!! What days does UW interview?

They haven't sent the days for scheduling yet. I'll post it when I find out!
The email reads:
Thank you for your interest in the University of Washington School of Medicine (UWSOM). I am writing to update you on your UWSOM application status as well as to inform you that your application has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your application has passed through this screening and the Committee on Admissions would like to invite you to interview.

You can expect a future invitation to interview with your precise date and time of your interview appointment as well as additional information on the interview day schedule. Currently, we are working to solidify the schedule and our office will follow up with you via e-mail as soon as possible with your interview date.

Congrats!! thats such great news :) When were you complete?
Thank you! I got a complete email on Aug 15th. So...they took about a month to mark me as complete, and then 2 weeks to decide to offer an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The email reads:

Thank you! I got a complete email on Aug 15th. So...they took about a month to mark me as complete, and then 2 weeks to decide to offer an interview.

Ahh! Congrats! Based on that complete time I'm going to have to buckle down and be patient. Thanks again and good luck!!

My secondary just became complete. Crossing fingers now for an II. Anyone know if they do silent rejections (i.e. you're not notified until Spring)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I applied mstp. I don't think it's just an mcat screen though. It took me 8 days to get the secondary

I almost got the secondary immediately (aka preliminary app on their website). When I submitted, I didn't have to pay any fees, and the website notifies my app will undergo preliminary screening for competitiveness. I'm guessing its mcat since they warned to submit only when applicant is confident about his/her mcat

I almost got the secondary immediately (aka preliminary app on their website). When I submitted, I didn't have to pay any fees, and the website notifies my app will undergo preliminary screening for competitiveness. I'm guessing its mcat since they warned to submit only when applicant is confident about his/her mcat
Your app right now says for preliminary screening for competitiveness? Or it said that before your secondary?

After completing 20+ other secondaries and reading through other med school websites, missions, etc. I must say, UW IS STILL THE BEST. Love this school and everything it represents (even though they turned me down the first time).

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!!! What days does UW interview?
UW interviews on weekdays from October 1st to (currently) the 5th of March. The end date may change, but the start date and only interviewing week days will stay the same. UW also gives you the date and says they will only honor major life events to change the date. Otherwise, expect to keep the date they give you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II just now... no date yet.

Reactions: 2 users
WA applicants: how long does it take to get ur residency approved? It has been more than 2 weeks since I turned in all my documents - starting to lose patience..:(

I still have not received anything after the initial letter (i.e. no secondary whatsoever). I am an OOR'er, however unsure of that influence, and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks and good luck all!

I still have not received anything after the initial letter (i.e. no secondary whatsoever). I am an OOR'er, however unsure of that influence, and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

I have not either. I think it just takes a long time. It's tough getting a secondary here I understand, and they do a thorough review before sending you one if they send one. They will reject you if they do not send you one.

I got my email 7/25 and have yet to here anything as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah...i was verified July 9th (though submitted june 22nd so they could have received my app in the initial wave). Received their email on the 11th. Nada since then.

In the same boat as you guys! I received the initial email on 7/15 and nothing since. I guess we should be happy we haven't gotten rejected yet though. I really love this school but I'm OOR as well so it's probably a reach

OOR rejection email today. I thought I had a shot bc I have some ties, but apparently they weren't good enough. At least I'm not in limbo, though. C'est la vie.

Anybody know when the other wwami state people get II's? I know most interviews are set dates much later in the year but I was wondering if their IIs went out later too

Just got a complete email from UW. it also states that other WWAMI state ppl hear back about IIs until Dec. or Jan.

I rec'd an II last application on 9/15. I doubt they would wait 'til December for II's b/c interviews are in January. (ID resident for Boise location)

Last edited:

I got my initial letter on 7/11... the letter says the preliminary review "typically takes a month to six weeks." As of today, it has been 6.6 weeks. I will probably e-mail them if I don't hear from them by week 7.6.

OOR-er, initial letter on 7/15. It's been 6 weeks exactly today, still no word from my dream school! Glad to hear I'm not the only one on hold. #solidarity +pity+

OOR rejection email today. I thought I had a shot bc I have some ties, but apparently they weren't good enough. At least I'm not in limbo, though. C'est la vie.

Sorry to hear that :(. Do you mind sharing when you received the initial email?

II today (IS)! Very excited to get this after a month of silence from all the schools I had applied to.

I got my initial letter on 7/11... the letter says the preliminary review "typically takes a month to six weeks." As of today, it has been 6.6 weeks. I will probably e-mail them if I don't hear from them by week 7.6.

Thanks for the info. Let me (and I'm sure the rest of us!) know if you reach out and how it goes. Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that :(. Do you mind sharing when you received the initial email?

Thanks, but I've made my peace with it. I never received an initial email from UW, but my primary was verified on 6/23.

Ah, finally. Marked complete today. Received secondary on July 30, submitted a day or two after that.

I've read through the past year's forums a fair amount and feel this is still a question that needs addressing.
I'm a reluctant OOSer. I've lived in Montana for years (went to undergrad and stuck around for a year and a half), have a drivers license from there, and would love to ultimately live and work there. However, I am originally from Chicago and have moved from MT to NYC for the time being. MT has a 2 year full time employee requirement for graduate school residency status so I'm now stateless.
My stats are MCAT 29 and GPA 3.5 I have a fairly good set of ECs with medical exposure, research, plenty of hobbies (some MT specific) and work experience.
I want to keep my options open for specialty etc. (I'm therefore debating whether to apply to DO) but at this point I want to go into family medicine and practice in MT where I have strong relationships and ties to the mountains and culture.
I'm planning to apply to UW. But would you in my shoes? I feel I might be out gunned due to my MCAT and technically-OOS status.

Hello!

I would apply to the program! Do not worry about your stats and worry about your motivation to become a physician, and your motivation to work in the WWAMI region. That will get you a lot farther down the road than you think! I am a perfect example. Good luck and work hard on those essays, and rock your interview!

WA applicants: how long does it take to get ur residency approved? It has been more than 2 weeks since I turned in all my documents - starting to lose patience..:(
I am wondering the same thing. I mailed mine in probably close to a month ago, and I haven't seen or heard any updates about my residency. Everything else has been submitted for literally months. It's kind of frustrating having only my residency verification pending.

Hey guys,
I'm new to SDN... I'm an IS applicant and I sent my secondary application fee via regular mail last Friday and until today I see no update saying that they received my check... Does that seem normal?? should I wait a bit more before I drive down to UW to drop it off in person?

Hey guys,
I'm new to SDN... I'm an IS applicant and I sent my secondary application fee via regular mail last Friday and until today I see no update saying that they received my check... Does that seem normal?? should I wait a bit more before I drive down to UW to drop it off in person?
I wouldn't put it off. I mailed in my fee on a Friday and it was processed by Monday afternoon. I do live in Seattle, so that may be why my turnaround was so quick.

Yeh i live in Seattle too and it seemed unreasonable for them to take that long to acknowledge a payment. Thanks for the reply!

Yeh i live in Seattle too and it seemed unreasonable for them to take that long to acknowledge a payment. Thanks for the reply!
It took mine a couple of weeks for everything to post....but I do live in Montana

I am wondering the same thing. I mailed mine in probably close to a month ago, and I haven't seen or heard any updates about my residency. Everything else has been submitted for literally months. It's kind of frustrating having only my residency verification pending.

Yes Im upset about that. I called them after I waited for 2 weeks (website says it can take up to two weeks) and was told to give them another two weeks???? I submitted everything else like 2 months ago ughhh!

Yes Im upset about that. I called them after I waited for 2 weeks (website says it can take up to two weeks) and was told to give them another two weeks???? I submitted everything else like 2 months ago ughhh!
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I applied really late last year and worked hard to get a my LORs etc in early and have my AMCAS submitted on opening day this year to not be behind, and I'm still sitting here months down the road waiting for my residency verification. Hopefully it all works out but it is frustrating working so hard to get everything early and having it be basically pointless because one set of forms is sitting on someone's desk waiting to be processed.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I applied really late last year and worked hard to get a my LORs etc in early and have my AMCAS submitted on opening day this year to not be behind, and I'm still sitting here months down the road waiting for my residency verification. Hopefully it all works out but it is frustrating working so hard to get everything early and having it be basically pointless because one set of forms is sitting on someone's desk waiting to be processed.

totally feel ya. Please let me know if u hear anything back from the residency office. As of today, I have not..I check my emails frantically hoping to hear something but nope :/

The email reads:

Did you ever get assigned that interview date?

Still waiting in anticipation!

Hello!

I would apply to the program! Do not worry about your stats and worry about your motivation to become a physician, and your motivation to work in the WWAMI region. That will get you a lot farther down the road than you think! I am a perfect example. Good luck and work hard on those essays, and rock your interview!

See that was kind of my fear too. I grew up in a rural part of eastern Washington and really want to go back there to practice. I lived in the state my whole life and left to do undergrad/grad on the East Coast. Now my parents have left WA i am afraid that I won't have a chance, but those little towns need more doctors, so I figured I would apply anyways! Great advice, good luck to everyone!

Finally got my II :) no dates assigned still though :/