2015-2016 East Tennessee State University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all waiting to hear back/be lifted off the active hold list. Stay strong!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So this means there's a $20,000 scholarship up for grabs?? Also congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
I withdrew my acceptance from here last Friday, and I will be attending another school. Hopefully my spot goes to one of you all. Best of luck everyone! I know how grueling of a process this is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you and best of luck to you in the next step as well!

I guess the committee didn't meet last Friday? Stats on their website still unchanged.

Thank you and best of luck to you in the next step as well!

I guess the committee didn't meet last Friday? Stats on their website still unchanged.
Yea I don't think so. But they usually meet on Mondays. And this next week last year was when a few were accepted off of hold, so we may hear something next week.

Has any accepted student received word other then immunization records? Like from financial aid or anything?

If anyone that knows the Johnson city area well could give me tips on where to live or not to live it would be greatly appreciated!

Has any accepted student received word other then immunization records? Like from financial aid or anything?
I got a small scholarship notification in the mail. That's all I have received though

Does anyone know when the next meeting is? I have a feeling the meeting may be next week after traffic day!

You guys are so lucky this cycle. Looks like this coming application cycle, the school is going to require the CASPer test. Any ideas on how this is going to be used in the admissions process? Debating whethe or not to apply here now :(

You guys are so lucky this cycle. Looks like this coming application cycle, the school is going to require the CASPer test. Any ideas on how this is going to be used in the admissions process? Debating whethe or not to apply here now :(
I saw this. Had to do it this cycle for NYMC. Seems like it could be a good option to see applicant's split second decision making, but the company is such a mess. Not looking forward to it if I have to reapply

Does anyone know when the next meeting is? I have a feeling the meeting may be next week after traffic day!
Last year they met the week before traffic day, but someone else earlier mentioned that they were told the next meeting was in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew from my acceptance offer. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

Accepted from Waitlist today! Cannot believe it, almost wrecked when I got the call!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed in early November, waiting was a beast for sure! Good luck to all of those waiting, Quillen is such an awesome school and group of people! There should be a fair amount of movement in the following weeks so hang in there!

Interviewed in early November, waiting was a beast for sure! Good luck to all of those waiting, Quillen is such an awesome school and group of people! There should be a fair amount of movement in the following weeks so hang in there!
Awesome. I interviewed the last week of October, so I'm super hopeful!

Got the call.... Accepted ... in the process of deciding between UT and ETSU.. Good Luck for others who are waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the call.... Accepted ... in the process of deciding between UT and ETSU.. Good Luck for others who are waiting!
Congrats! Good luck on your decision!

Congratulations! Did you make a decision yet? I'm curious if they specified a time to decide by?

Also, I guess they are not checking if waitlisters already hold acceptances ?

Congratulations! Did you make a decision yet? I'm curious if they specified a time to decide by?

Also, I guess they are not checking if waitlisters already hold acceptances ?
They sent out an email about a month ago to people who were on the waitlist who held an acceptance to other schools. They basically wanted to know if we were still interested in Quillen or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Decided on UT. Withdrew the acceptance here last week.

Stats updated today. It's seems by the numbers that there are 19 that haven't been accepted or withdrawn yet and still on hold. Ugh. I'm one of them.

Stats updated today. It's seems by the numbers that there are 19 that haven't been accepted or withdrawn yet and still on hold. Ugh. I'm one of them.

Wait, are you saying there is just 19 of us on hold?? This makes me feel like I really screwed up my interview

Wait, are you saying there is just 19 of us on hold?? This makes me feel like I really screwed up my interview

Actually that was just for IS applicants, but when I looked at total applicants, it seems like there are only 11 still on hold. Not sure which I like better.

Their numbers have to be off somehow right? It doesn't make sense.

ImageUploadedBySDN1464797797.529057.jpg

Nah, we did well enough to not get rejected like the other people who were cut from the hold list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Their average GPA has gone up from 3.61 to 3.75...that is a pretty large increase for just one year? I know UT also experienced a similar increase in stats across the board.

This actually reflects more accurately the nation wide steady increase in competitive applicants. See here. Every year the amount of students applying rises, and this cycle I'm sure will have yet again a record number. (10,000+ in 5 years). One can easily see that while the mean of applying students' GPA has generally hovered around the same number the # of students applying has risen dramatically, implying that there are larger #s of students on both sides of the applying mean (directly increasing the # of students with around the matriculating mean). ETSU actually favors a lower than average MCAT and GPA if you really want to nit pick.

Edit: It appears looking at the raw numbers suggests a 10% rise in rejected applicants over the past 5 years.

Nature of the business. The admissions process really is the biggest bottleneck to overcome (at least IMHO)

@LeftyLadyDoc After looking at the numbers, I think there are about 63 still on hold. I was including those who were accepted but withdrew along with the total number of rejections or withdrawal. So those people were counted twice in my original calculation. Either way. It sucks.

Yes, it looks like 63 still on hold. So not much change from a few months ago.

I've already given up and accepted the fact I will have to reapply. This just confirms it.

Has anyone done the CASPer test yet? If so how was it? Thanks!

Has anyone done the CASPer test yet? If so how was it? Thanks!

Did it this last cycle. Test isn't bad but the website had a lot of problems and the company never fixed it after multiple test administrations. So we will see if it's any better this next cycle.

Did it this last cycle. Test isn't bad but the website had a lot of problems and the company never fixed it after multiple test administrations. So we will see if it's any better this next cycle.

I heard it was a nightmare with the test crashing on many ppl. Does anyone know of a good prep book for the CASPer test?

I don't think you need to study for it. Check out their practice test. Looks pretty straight forward. You just answer the questions based on your opinions/what actions you would take (which also hopefully align with what is ethically sound).