2015-2016 East Tennessee State University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

WOOHOO! ACCEPTED ALREADY!

...just kidding, I deferred, but I'll stalk this thread to try to help answer questions. I'll see you folks in fall 2016. :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how strict they are with classifying applicants as in-state for consideration? (My parents are divorced, and I live out of state with my mom, but my dad is a TN resident and still claims me on his taxes...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how strict they are with classifying applicants as in-state for consideration? (My parents are divorced, and I live out of state with my mom, but my dad is a TN resident and still claims me on his taxes...)
From my limited experience (incoming ms1) they are pretty strict as far as accepting the majority of the class from instate. Your situation is different from most applicants who are applying as oos though so my best advice is to contact the admissions office and ask them. They are extremely nice and helpful.

Anyone know what MCAT scores QCOM will be looking for?

If I grew up in TN (went to middle school, high school, and college in TN), but am currently living in CA with my parents during my gap year, would that affect my chances of getting in? Would they still consider me as an in-state student?

If I grew up in TN (went to middle school, high school, and college in TN), but am currently living in CA with my parents during my gap year, would that affect my chances of getting in? Would they still consider me as an in-state student?

hk, I would definitely recommend calling or e-mailing admissions to answer this question. I know they give preference to only in-state residents, certain border state residents, and active/prior military. I have heard in previous years that during the supplemental screening they automatically eliminate if any one of these factors is not satisfied. I'm not currently a resident of Tennessee but I was born in the university hospital there and I just happen to be active duty.

Does anyone know about how long it takes to hear about a secondary? I got the email that they received my application on July 1st

I got the same email on the same date as you, and after looking at last year's thread it's going to be any day now. Earliest I saw that someone received a secondary was the 17th of July.

Just got an email today inviting to fill out the secondary. I sent in my initial application day 1 on AMCAS.
Also- The prompt is the same as the year before, just a generic "comprehensive picture of your candidacy" piece. Here is the full prompt:
The AMCAS application is not designed to capture unique, special, or unusual circumstances. With this in mind, what other information would help the Admissions Committee obtain a more comprehensive picture of your candidacy?

Examples of issues that a candidate might address include, but are by no means limited to, such topics as:

· If there have been breaks in your school attendance since high school, or if you ever carried less than a full-time course load in college, or if you took more than four years to finish college, what did you choose to do with the time and why?

· What endeavors other than medicine have you abandoned or postponed in order to pursue your current path, and how did you make those decisions?

· Why would you be a good fit for Quillen?

These are just examples. You may address any topic that you want the admissions committee to consider. However, please remember that the task is to expand thoughtfully upon the AMCAS application, not to repeat it.

The information provided should, to the greatest extent possible, not duplicate information found elsewhere in the AMCAS application and must be limited to 5000 characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Got my secondary today and I sent in my primary June 11th

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received and submitted. I sent in my primary on day 1.

Cali... I received the initial email saying they received my application on the 20th are currently reviewing it. So it looks like a turn around of a couple weeks for them to send out secondaries?? Thanks

Cali... I received the initial email saying they received my application on the 20th are currently reviewing it. So it looks like a turn around of a couple weeks for them to send out secondaries?? Thanks
I'm assuming of this month? It took about 3 weeks for me to receive a secondary, but what I speculate will happen is that secondaries will be sent quicker because the number of applicants submitting their primary starts to go down a bit later in the cycle. This means that the time it takes to review primaries from applicants in a given period (let's say 2 weeks) will be considerably shortened. Again, this is just speculation but hopefully this is the case.

There was a mention of having your LORs and everything in on or before August 13th, so I'm thinking that's when they'll review the pool of applicants who are complete by then, and send out interview invites accordingly. To you and everyone reading this, pre-write your secondaries so that if/when you do receive the notification, you can submit the app the same day.

@IDMT-2-MD, best of luck and if you receive an II but don't want to post your specific date, PM me. If we happen to get interviews for the same day, my stature and the high and tight haircut will be a dead giveaway that it's me.

I'm assuming of this month? It took about 3 weeks for me to receive a secondary, but what I speculate will happen is that secondaries will be sent quicker because the number of applicants submitting their primary starts to go down a bit later in the cycle. This means that the time it takes to review primaries from applicants in a given period (let's say 2 weeks) will be considerably shortened. Again, this is just speculation but hopefully this is the case.

There was a mention of having your LORs and everything in on or before August 13th, so I'm thinking that's when they'll review the pool of applicants who are complete by then, and send out interview invites accordingly. To you and everyone reading this, pre-write your secondaries so that if/when you do receive the notification, you can submit the app the same day.

@IDMT-2-MD, best of luck and if you receive an II but don't want to post your specific date, PM me. If we happen to get interviews for the same day, my stature and the high and tight haircut will be a dead giveaway that it's me.

PM sent

Rejected pre-secondary by snail mail, IS, 28 MCAT, 3.87 GPA. One of my top choices so it hurts, but you win some you lose some! Best of luck to the rest of y'all!

Rejected pre-secondary by snail mail, IS, 28 MCAT, 3.87 GPA. One of my top choices so it hurts, but you win some you lose some! Best of luck to the rest of y'all!

Wow can't believe that, I'm sorry! And now I am nervous.... when did you submit your primary?

Wow can't believe that, I'm sorry! And now I am nervous.... when did you submit your primary?

It's alright, I guess I just wasn't a good fit! I submitted the first day right after it opened, but my LORs just got uploaded today.

Can anyone log into their portal? Mine reads "invalid credentials."

Pre-secondary rejection here as well (IS Nontrad. 3.3 GPA. 32 MCAT.). Good luck to everyone still in the running here!

Last edited:
What?! your stats are great compared to their averages.. I know its all about the right fit, but how are they determining fit off of just the primary!!
Pre-secondary rejection here as well (IS Nontrad. 3.3 GPA. 32 MCAT). Good luck to everyone still in the running here!

Pre-secondary rejection as well - 3.2 sGPA, 3.9 cGPA, 30 MCAT IS. No clue honestly what happened. Feels like I didn't get a real chance at ETSU. My whole personal statement was about rural community service even. Pretty bummed, really liked ETSU and what they stand for.

Hoping for a secondary soon. I submitted almost a month ago.

Pre-secondary rejection as well - 3.2 sGPA, 3.9 cGPA, 30 MCAT IS. No clue honestly what happened. Feels like I didn't get a real chance at ETSU. My whole personal statement was about rural community service even. Pretty bummed, really liked ETSU and what they stand for.
I understand your frustrations. I have similar stats to you along with being a non-traditional student. I received a rejection last year after my secondary. I felt like they didn't really give me a chance and I was pretty bitter about it. I had even toured the school and the like. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in feeling like you deserved a chance to interview at least. Nothing we can do but try again if we don't find somewhere else. Don't let it get you down too much, take it with stride- you've come this far.

I submitted my secondary that was due on the 13th. Any ideas when we will hear if we get interviews?

How long do they usually take to give out secondaries?

It took me about 3 weeks to get a secondary

I am hoping interviews should come relatively quick since they put a return time frame on the secondary

It took me about 3 weeks to get a secondary

I am hoping interviews should come relatively quick since they put a return time frame on the secondary

Cool. I'm at about that point so hopefully I hear something.

Secondary received and submitted today. Good luck everyone!

Email with a schedule date and instructions to either reply to confirm or call their office to reschedule. Says their interview dates are irregular.
Do they send a confirmation after they receive your secondary? What about an application complete notification?

Do they send a confirmation after they receive your secondary? What about an application complete notification?
I got a confirmation after I submitted and an application complete notice about a week later. Then didn't hear anything until today. It's been about a month since the complete notice.

II received Friday as well for the September 14th date! I'm not military

I'm interviewing the week before, but my comment was just a joke because the only other person that said he got an II at the time was also military. Also, congrats on the II!

Patiently waiting for II..... :whistle::corny:

Holy residency requirements! I've been a legal TN resident for 3.5 years (born and raised in Connecticut and Maine), own a home in Tennessee, married to a TN resident, TN vehicle registration, and I vote in Davidson County...yet they ruled last week that I was "out-of-state" for application and fee purposes.
They had sent me an inquiry a couple weeks ago and I submitted every document I have that confirmed my residency, and they still ruled this way. I know that being a resident isn't the same as being considered a resident for "application purposes," but does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Edwin told me I could write an appeal and I had called to ask where my shortcoming was so I would know what area to concentrate on; however, I got the impression that they were upset by phone calls and would prefer to just read an email from me.

I'm unfamiliar with the TN residency requirements for education, but what I would suggest is maybe looking into the TN Board of Regents; or whatever governing body dictates who is a resident for educational purposes and who is not. Referencing specific parts of the laws that have been established, and providing evidence that you meet them might be your best bet in overturning Quillen's initial residency decision. And you're not alone, I'm having a similar issue with my home state as well. Best of luck!

I'm unfamiliar with the TN residency requirements for education, but what I would suggest is maybe looking into the TN Board of Regents; or whatever governing body dictates who is a resident for educational purposes and who is not. Referencing specific parts of the laws that have been established, and providing evidence that you meet them might be your best bet in overturning Quillen's initial residency decision. And you're not alone, I'm having a similar issue with my home state as well. Best of luck!
Thanks! I checked the TBR site and I'm just very confused because I meet all of the requirements. I've heard that if you are considered as "in state" by your local community college then they also have to consider you as in state, so I'm applying at a CC in Nashville just to get on record. It may be the same for your home state although I'm not sure. I also don't know how long the CC application will take to process.

I plan on calling back because I find it very bizarre that I would be placed in the "out of state" applicant pool. I don't know if that's what they mean by out of state or if they would process my application like a TN resident and then consider me OOS for fees and tuition. I didn't get the impression that UTHSC was this strict on residency requirements, I had no issues with them.

I'm just afraid they'll consider me as OOS and discount my application based on residency before they even give it a glance, since they're not very OOS-friendly :(

Holy residency requirements! I've been a legal TN resident for 3.5 years (born and raised in Connecticut and Maine), own a home in Tennessee, married to a TN resident, TN vehicle registration, and I vote in Davidson County...yet they ruled last week that I was "out-of-state" for application and fee purposes.
They had sent me an inquiry a couple weeks ago and I submitted every document I have that confirmed my residency, and they still ruled this way. I know that being a resident isn't the same as being considered a resident for "application purposes," but does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Edwin told me I could write an appeal and I had called to ask where my shortcoming was so I would know what area to concentrate on; however, I got the impression that they were upset by phone calls and would prefer to just read an email from me.

I feel like this has to be erroneous.

https://policies.tbr.edu/policies/r...ate-paying-college-or-university-fees-tuition

You should be eligible under section A or section F. I feel like section E is for someone who has residency in another state, but has gone to a high school in TN and wants to attend a university in TN. To impose the requirements in section E as additional requirements on A conflicts with a plain reading of A. I would talk to an attorney about this.

Has anyone else received interviews? Were the September ones for early decision?