You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Any II invites?
Hmm thanks @HarryH00d, I was hoping that would be the case which is fine, but i'll contact them this week to verify. I guess the real concern I overlooked was that I still only have a 1-semester/1-credit inorganic chem lab course on my transcript 🙂.
Neolith, did you ever call and verify this? I'm in the same situation--only 1 semester of organic lab. My university only recommended to take one as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My photo looks silly resized to 144x144
I look 25% wider haha
#pancakelife
My photo looks silly resized to 144x144
I look 25% wider haha
Ahahaha, I didn't resize it to 144x144 for that reason. Since it's a portrait shape, I just made the height 144 and adjusted the width to like 108 or something so that I didn't look so wide.
This actually prompted me to call EVMS, since I have the same stats. Laurie in admissions said that OOS, they screen under 30 MCAT (508?) and 3.4 GPA. I mentioned that others here were not screened out with the same stats, and explained my story. She told me to email the dean of admissions with my story, so I just did. I figured it's worth looking into, in case the person who screened me did not notice that my GPA for my last 140 credits of undergrad is 3.7+...Yea those who have been screened out confuse me. I had 3.2 and 510 on the MCAT. Submitted last night to them and got it this morning. No way they had time to review my application to screen it
In iPhoto I cropped my photo using the "square size" and then I resized it to 144x144. It made me look a little more proportioned hahaMy photo looks silly resized to 144x144
I look 25% wider haha
Hi everyone. Submitted my secondary OOS, hope they give me a shot! I had a question though. I submitted my secondary before my last letter of recommendation was uploaded to AMCAS (it just got uploaded today). Will all my schools automatically get it added despite submitting the secondary first? Thanks and good luck to everyone!!!
Hi everyone. Submitted my secondary OOS, hope they give me a shot! I had a question though. I submitted my secondary before my last letter of recommendation was uploaded to AMCAS (it just got uploaded today). Will all my schools automatically get it added despite submitting the secondary first? Thanks and good luck to everyone!!!
I believe so?? I kind of assumed that once my letter was uploaded to AMCAS, that AMCAS would take care of the rest...pretty passive of me but it's worked so far hehe. I think now it's just a matter of the school downloading the LoR
I had a committee letter so I'm not sure if it's different but I submitted several secondaries before my committee letter was uploaded. I have just recently been marked complete by several schools. If it will give you peace of mind, I would e-mail the schools and tell them to look out for your last letter of recommendation. I'm a re-applicant and that is what I did when my MCAT retake scores were finally uploaded. All the admissions offices I e-mailed were very friendly!Hi everyone. Submitted my secondary OOS, hope they give me a shot! I had a question though. I submitted my secondary before my last letter of recommendation was uploaded to AMCAS (it just got uploaded today). Will all my schools automatically get it added despite submitting the secondary first? Thanks and good luck to everyone!!!
Neolith, did you ever call and verify this? I'm in the same situation--only 1 semester of organic lab. My university only recommended to take one as well.
I gave them a call and explained my situation. They were actually familiar with my schools policies regarding lab requirements and said it would not be an issue. That said, I'm not sure if this differs between different schools so I would recommend giving them a call as well - they are very friendly!
delete
Last edited:
Sooo, the original e-mail with the link to the supplementary also mentions that "the supplemental application materials must be completed within 30 days." Do they mean ALL materials? Because my pre-med committee won't send in the LOR packet until August 15th. And 30 days from the original receipt of this e-mail would be August 10th...
Should I even bother submitting or should I assume that they'll understand that it was out of my control?
I believe they're referring to when you actually submit your application.
I'd call their admissions office if you're worried.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EDIT: Sorry, called and resolved!
Last edited:
Did you get an answer to this? I have not gotten word that I am complete either and everything was submitted to them on 7/21.Definitely. I have no idea if I emailed the right person though since they don't really tell you who to contact
Does anyone know the strengths and weaknesses of this program?
I swear we must have the same stats. You seem to comment on every school I've applied toDoes anyone know the strengths and weaknesses of this program?
My committee letter was sent through AMCAS on 7/27 - if it's been two weeks since, does this warrant a call to the admissions office? Or should I assume they're swamped right now and they'll get to me when they get to me?
This portal is absolute garbage. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated trying to enter courses.
It took me longer to enter my courses than to write the essays :0This portal is absolute garbage. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated trying to enter courses.
Okay maybe that's an exaggeration...
Got an email telling me to let admissions know as soon as my LORs are available to download (ugh prehealth committee is taking forever). I hope that's either a good or neutral sign...
Is there any way for us to check our application status? Or are we just waiting on an e mail regarding the committee's decision once we submit?
I received an email saying:Is there any way for us to check our application status? Or are we just waiting on an e mail regarding the committee's decision once we submit?
Dear Applicant:
We have all the materials necessary to complete your application for admission.
You will be notified as soon as our Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and a decision concerning your candidacy has been made.
Kerry Jones
Office of Admissions
Eastern Virginia Medical School
So I guess now we just wait.
Is it okay to only answer some of these in 400-500 characters? I'm not one for adding unnecessary fluff.
Plz halp
Plz halp
Last edited:
Is it okay to only answer some of these in 400-500 characters? I'm not one for adding unnecessary fluff.
Plz halp
That's completely fine. Actually, I'm sure Adcoms will enjoy the succinctness of your essays. If it also makes you feel any better, mine were about 500 characters.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ahh, thank god. I was stressing hardcoreThat's completely fine. Actually, I'm sure Adcoms will enjoy the succinctness of your essays. If it also makes you feel any better, mine were about 500 characters.
I received an email saying:
Dear Applicant:
We have all the materials necessary to complete your application for admission.
You will be notified as soon as our Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and a decision concerning your candidacy has been made.
Kerry Jones
Office of Admissions
Eastern Virginia Medical School
So I guess now we just wait.
I submitted secondary over two weeks ago, LORs too, and still haven't gotten this kind of email letting me know that my file is complete. Anyone else in the same boat?
Got a question: I took an SMP and my committee letter is from them only. One of the letters that was attached to it was my SMP advisor's.
EVMS wanted a committee letter as well as a letter from a grad school advisor (if you took grad).
I received a completed app email, but am worried that they will still wait for a separate letter submitted to AMCAS. What you guys think?
EVMS wanted a committee letter as well as a letter from a grad school advisor (if you took grad).
I received a completed app email, but am worried that they will still wait for a separate letter submitted to AMCAS. What you guys think?
Call admissions and ask, you'll probably get a solid, reliable answer in a few minutes from themGot a question: I took an SMP and my committee letter is from them only. One of the letters that was attached to it was my SMP advisor's.
EVMS wanted a committee letter as well as a letter from a grad school advisor (if you took grad).
I received a completed app email, but am worried that they will still wait for a separate letter submitted to AMCAS. What you guys think?
I submitted secondary over two weeks ago, LORs too, and still haven't gotten this kind of email letting me know that my file is complete. Anyone else in the same boat?
Check your spam folder. I just did and realized that they sent me a "you are complete" email the day after I submitted my secondary, which was about two weeks ago. It was a [email protected] address that sent it.
I've disabled my spam filter for the application season after it marked EVMS as possible spam
Hey everyone, I'm a current M1 at EVMS (classes just started last week) but I can probably answer a decent amount of questions about the application and general pros/cons of the school. Feel free to message me and hopefully i'll see some of you on interviews (i'll be doing some of the tours)
If anyone wanted to know, they just expunged last year's alternate list.
?
Just received an II today! This is my third, and it's only August!
II received. Non-trad OOS. LizzyM 71
Congrats, you two!
When were you guys complete?
Thanks! Submitted 7/19 and Complete on 7/22.Congrats, you two!
When were you guys complete?
Congrats, you two!
When were you guys complete?
I submitted 7/29, complete on 8/3. Feels amazing because I am a re-applicant this cycle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got a question: I took an SMP and my committee letter is from them only. One of the letters that was attached to it was my SMP advisor's.
EVMS wanted a committee letter as well as a letter from a grad school advisor (if you took grad).
I received a completed app email, but am worried that they will still wait for a separate letter submitted to AMCAS. What you guys think?
Did you figure this out?
Called them up and they said as long as I got the complete email I'm good to goDid you figure this out?
Was on last year's waitlist, they officially discontinued it today.
Called them up and they said as long as I got the complete email I'm good to go
Hey, did you by any chance send EVMS a letter from the MBS office?
"If your school has a premedical advisory committee, we strongly urge you to have a letter sent by that committee. Otherwise, (3) individual letters from two science and one non-science faculty are required. Applicants currently or previously enrolled in a graduate program must also submit a 4th letter of recommendation from their thesis or graduate advisor. (You may submit additional letters other than the required minimum as listed above).
If you have just begun or are planning to begin a 1-year Master's degree program this Fall, you are required to submit a letter from your program advisor verifying your enrollment and the program completion date. (A letter of your progress in the program will be requested at a later date)."
I'm complete too, without submitting this. I can't tell if "just begun" doesn't apply to us.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K