2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I'm a current M1 at EVMS (classes just started last week) but I can probably answer a decent amount of questions about the application and general pros/cons of the school. Feel free to message me and hopefully i'll see some of you on interviews (i'll be doing some of the tours)
Hey! I'm interested in knowing what the area around the school is like. Food/shops. What are your impressions of the faculty so far?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
I'm sorry I don't know if this question has been asked but is there a character limit for all these prompts? I read somewhere that the total must be 2000 characters but EVMC didn't really indicate that anywhere. Can anyone please verify this info? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I'm interested in knowing what the area around the school is like. Food/shops. What are your impressions of the faculty so far?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The area around the school is great and really safe. The ghent neighborhood as a lot of restaurants, bars, various shops, etc. There are bad neighborhoods of Norfolk but they are fairly easy to avoid. All good impressions of faculty so far but it is hard to judge so early on. I have no complaints with anything so far. Nice facilities and great lectures so far. Hope that helps
 
another current M1 here, hit me up if you have any questions. school is starting to get tough.....
 
I got a "complete" email more than 2 weeks ago but my portal says they received my payment and I will be notified when my file is complete, anyone else having this issue?
 
Got an email today for proof of in-state residency. Had to break out my ancient scanner! 🙄
Hoping for some good news once I'm complete, they've got all my other stuff. Ahhh the waiting.
 
Hey everyone-

For those still working on their secondary for this school, I found a really helpful resource to help you get a passport style photo: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/photos/photos.html

This website has a sweet tool to help you get the proper spacing and sizing for your image. It will not crop the photo down to 144X144 pixels however. That takes a bit of extra magic. These directions may have already been posted in this forum, but in the event they haven't, I will provide them in the hopes of helping someone out. There may be an easier way, but this is the way I figured out and it worked fine for me.

For a PC:

Once you've created your image using the government's passport picture tool, save the image to your computer.
From there, open Microsoft Paint and paste the image.
Size it down to 144X144 pixels.
Copy your image and paste it into Microsoft Word
In Microsoft Word, right click on the image and select "save as picture."

This will save your image as a 144X144 passport style picture.

Hope this is helpful for someone.
 
II! IS, had a mix up where they didn't mark me complete after receiving my residency paperwork until last Friday so happy to hear from them so quickly.
Congrats! That makes me want to check in with them to make sure that's not what's going on with my app.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Non-trad, SMP, 36 MCAT. I got screened cuz I'm OOS with a <3.4 GPA it looks like.

I have a feeling I'll be keeping you company shortly...

But as a non-trad with a 36, you will have plenty of opportunities as long as you demonstrated "reinvention." Best of luck!
 
3.87 currently.

Interesting. Did you just start it or something? I have a similar SMP GPA, 33-35 MCAT <3.4 uGPA and got past the screening. I wonder what it was? I am technically OOS for a few years but I was born and raised in VA, parents still residents, etc. Maybe they thought you were too good 🙂
 
Last edited:
Interesting. Did you just start it or something? I have a similar SMP GPA, 33-35 MCAT <3.4 uGPA and got past the screening. I wonder what it was?

Oh that is weird. I thought he was talking post-secondary/pre-II, not a pre-secondary screen. I have similar stats as well, but strong ties to Maryland/Chesapeake Bay area/Virginia

Trying to make sense of the application/admission process would be a fools errand
 
Oh that is weird. I thought he was talking post-secondary/pre-II, not a pre-secondary screen. I have similar stats as well, but strong ties to Maryland/Chesapeake Bay area/Virginia

Trying to make sense of the application/admission process would be a fools errand

Ah yeah. I'm also in the same boat. Strong ties and born/raised/family residency in VA.
 
Interesting. Did you just start it or something? I have a similar SMP GPA, 33-35 MCAT <3.4 uGPA and got past the screening. I wonder what it was? I am technically OOS but I was born and raised in VA, parents still residents, etc. Maybe they thought you were too good 🙂

This was a post-secondary screen.

I mean my cGPA and sGPA are both overall hovering around 3.0. I've got 21 graded credits as of now but only 15 of them counted as BCPM (stupid nutrition)
 
This was a post-secondary screen.

I mean my cGPA and sGPA are both overall hovering around 3.0. I've got 21 graded credits as of now but only 15 of them counted as BCPM (stupid nutrition)
From my understanding it is heavily discouraged to apply at the beginning of the SMP. EVMS has an SMP program and knows this. Anyway, they may also think you are over qualified. Or they may reserve their reinvention spots for their own master's students. I'm sure you'll get some looks, with the MCAT, especially at your SMP school (unless it was EVMS).
 
From my understanding it is heavily discouraged to apply at the beginning of the SMP. EVMS has an SMP program and knows this. Anyway, they may also think you are over qualified. Or they may reserve their reinvention spots for their own master's students. I'm sure you'll get some looks, with the MCAT, especially at your SMP school (unless it was EVMS).
Unfortunately, I graduate this December and my SMP is not affiliated with a medical school. sad days.

Thanks for the optimism though! Good luck with all your application shiz
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texas, 3.3 GPA, 3.0 sGPA, 29MCAT! Lots of Leadership, EC and clinical hours. Being from Texas may have something to do with it (or maybe not) because many Texas applicants attend Texas schools due to the tuition.
 
They're giving me a real hard time with in-state residency. I have been complete for one month, but Ms. Jones will not consider me complete until I give her a copy of my lease agreement for this year to prove I will live in Virginia this year. I have lived in Virginia for the past 5 years and filed taxes every year. I am a registered voter, have a VA license, and my car is registered here. I also had my employer send a letter stating I would be working here in Virginia for the next year. The official lease for my apartment was signed on Aug 12th, but I have to wait for the owner of the building to sign it. Pretty much feels like I am getting screwed. Slightly frustrating. :bang:
 
Are IS applicants required to provide them proof of IS residency? I've been complete since 8/4 and have heard nothing since...
 
Filled out secondary on 8/17, still no complete email how long does it take? Have there been II sent out yet?
 
II! IS, 3.5 undergrad cGPA, 3.2 undergrad sGPA, 3.8 SMP, and 30 MCAT. Complete 7/29.

I didn't actually get any kind of paperwork to fill out to prove my in-state residency. I think that maybe if you've applied there before, and you had a VA address on your app before, and you still live in VA, they may not ask you to provide proof? I'm not 100% certain, but that's the situation I'm in, and they haven't asked for any residency proof...
 
II! IS, 3.5 undergrad cGPA, 3.2 undergrad sGPA, 3.8 SMP, and 30 MCAT. Complete 7/29.

I didn't actually get any kind of paperwork to fill out to prove my in-state residency. I think that maybe if you've applied there before, and you had a VA address on your app before, and you still live in VA, they may not ask you to provide proof? I'm not 100% certain, but that's the situation I'm in, and they haven't asked for any residency proof...

I applied last year, as well. Lived in VA the past 5 years.
 
So approximately how long after being complete do they notify of II?
I was complete last Monday (8/17)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied last year, as well. Lived in VA the past 5 years.

I have no idea then. I was actually really surprised to receive an II because I knew they usually asked for in-state documentation first. All I can think of to do in your situation is just keep on working on getting all the documents they need :/
 
I have no idea then. I was actually really surprised to receive an II because I knew they usually asked for in-state documentation first. All I can think of to do in your situation is just keep on working on getting all the documents they need :/

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. It's just annoying seeing these II's going out and I submitted before or at the same time as all of these people :boom: