2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When were you complete? Thanks

Well, I submitted my primary June 2nd, and my secondary was submitted on July 22nd with all materials; however, they questioned my in-state status, and I had to provide all sorts of other documents, so I did not receive a "complete" email until September 1st.
 
II for Wednesday, October 14. Primary received Aug 24, secondary submitted Aug 27, had to clear up some in-state status stuff and did that by Aug. 31, II invite on Sept. 10.

Hope that info helps anyone, and hopefully I run into a few people on the 14th!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How likely am I to get an II if I received a secondary OOS?

I'm not exactly sure how many OOS get secondaries, but I think they do screen before secondary.
According to US News & Review Medical School COmpass:
OOS Applicants: 5574
OOS Interviews: 396
OOS Acceptances: 195

I hope this helps at least a little 🙂
 
Can anyone who interviewed at EVMS last year or this past week comment on your interview experience? It seems like it can range from a relaxed interview to a really awkward/stressful one. Any insights or advice would be very much appreciated!
 
Can anyone who interviewed at EVMS last year or this past week comment on your interview experience? It seems like it can range from a relaxed interview to a really awkward/stressful one. Any insights or advice would be very much appreciated!
Interviewed last week. EVMS exceeded my expectations. The facilities were wonderful and the work they do with standardized patients is top-notch. EVMS teaches communication skills during their 1st/2nd years so that by the time their students reach their clerkships, they are more than capable of performing excellent H&Ps. The school is very intent on producing doctors that are not only intelligent but also able to speak to their patients and adequately explain their illness/disease. Norfolk General was a gorgeous hospital and Norfolk itself seemed very nice. I personally did not feel unsafe while walking alone, even at night. The interview itself was very low-key and almost like a conversation versus an interview. Everyone else thought the same as well. Very standard questions as well (i.e what excites you about medicine, explain your childhood, what interests you at EVMS, basic ethical question, and basic ACA question). Good luck on your interview!
 
Finally got the complete email after issue w/ missing a letter from my grad school advisor saying that I was, in fact, enrolled in my program.

OOS, 3.75cGPA, 3.7sGPA, 511 MCAT. Was really impressed with EVMS when doing my online research before submitting the secondary, hoping for some love
 
Are there any OOS interviewers that have already bought their plane tickets? Any suggestions on which airport to fly into?
 
Submitted my secondary early August. Marked complete early September. Got an II last week and will be interviewing in Norfolk in a few days! Hope I meet some of you.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the MSAR seem to predict that roughly half of the interviewees will get an offer?
 
Submitted my secondary early August. Marked complete early September. Got an II last week and will be interviewing in Norfolk in a few days! Hope I meet some of you.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the MSAR seem to predict that roughly half of the interviewees will get an offer?
Congrats. I guess you can use the MSAR to predict the acceptance rate. From what I've seen or remembered, adcoms say that they usually accept 2 to 2.5 times more than their class capacity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed today here, this school is just amazing. Such a nice environment. The other applicants were also cool to talk to!

This is my first choice school, too bad I am out of state 🙁
 
I interviewed today here, this school is just amazing. Such a nice environment. The other applicants were also cool to talk to!

This is my first choice school, too bad I am out of state 🙁

Hey, you got an interview! According to the MSAR, the matriculation to interview ratio is roughly equal for IS and OOS applicants. Stay optimistic!
 
II today! I missed their phone call for an interview next week so I'm scheduled for mid October. OOS applicant. I just checked my application here last night and it said I still wasn't complete at the school but then I got a II this morning haha. I submitted around July 23rd (I can't remember the exact date).
 
*has at least a 38 MCAT*
*applies to EVMS OOS*

lolwut?
I mean, I've got a 38+ MCAT and I'm applying to EVMS OOS...it makes sense for me as an individual, given the rest of my app and my background. I'm sure it does for them as well!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mind sharing a little bit more about your interview experience? Slightly nervous about the panel interview. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much
Nothing to be nervous about! It was incredibly conversational and laid-back, as others have said. I had two doctors at EVMS and one medical student - they all balanced each other out nicely.
 
Anyone know if we can call the office to inquire about decisions before 10/15?

Both the lady doing our info session and one of my interviewers said we could call two weeks after our interview. I haven't reached the two week point yet so I don't know if it will actually work.
 
Anyone know if we can call the office to inquire about decisions before 10/15?
I was told the same thing when I interviewed on September 9th, but I just called the admissions office and they told me that whoever told me I could call and get a decision gave me false information and they wouldn't release anything until October 15th. So if anyone else calls and actually gets a decision, let me know!
 
Anyone know if we can call the office to inquire about decisions before 10/15?

I was told the same thing when I interviewed on September 9th, but I just called the admissions office and they told me that whoever told me I could call and get a decision gave me false information and they wouldn't release anything until October 15th. So if anyone else calls and actually gets a decision, let me know!

Ugh. I knew it was too good to be true. Lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long time behind the scenes lurker here, I finally decided to join sdn! I recently interviewed at EVMS. I absolutely fell in love with the school and the area. I look forward to hearing from them on Oct. 15!!
 
OOS II just now!!! I was complete mid-August after a big delay for proof that I will indeed be graduating from my master's program this spring haha. Also, they're scheduling for early November at the moment, just fyi!