2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I interviewed on 10/9. Anybody know when I could potentially hear back? Or call them and get some info? I have a deposit for another school due on 10/30, but I'd rather go here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on 10/9. Anybody know when I could potentially hear back? Or call them and get some info? I have a deposit for another school due on 10/30, but I'd rather go here.

What was the date that the Admissions staff told you during your Financial Aid/Lunch meeting? That's when they told me when I could call. I'm sure with your interviewing close to the deadline though that calling won't be an option. They implied that we could call after 3ish weeks since they technically couldn't give acceptances until 10/15 and they thought that it was "silly" to have to wait over a month for a decision.

For the deposit though, why don't you just pay it? Unless it's nonrefundable, just pay and get your money back if EVMS gives you an acceptance. Never turn down an acceptance unless you have a "better" one in hanf. Better to have an acceptance now then to possibly not have one when class begins. Good luck!
 
What was the date that the Admissions staff told you during your Financial Aid/Lunch meeting? That's when they told me when I could call. I'm sure with your interviewing close to the deadline though that calling won't be an option. They implied that we could call after 3ish weeks since they technically couldn't give acceptances until 10/15 and they thought that it was "silly" to have to wait over a month for a decision.

For the deposit though, why don't you just pay it? Unless it's nonrefundable, just pay and get your money back if EVMS gives you an acceptance. Never turn down an acceptance unless you have a "better" one in hanf. Better to have an acceptance now then to possibly not have one when class begins. Good luck!

I'm planning on paying, but it's $1500, and it's nonrefundable, so it's tough to swallow lol. Also, I don't remember them mentioning a particular date.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, man, that's why I am trying to get something else in the bag!
Isn't there an AAMC rule about deposits being no more than 100$? Could totally be mixing this up, just wasn't sure 🙂 also, if accepted into a top choice school, would you all withdraw from some/most of your interviews? The only reason I can think to keep them is for financial offer consideration down the road.
 
I'm planning on paying, but it's $1500, and it's nonrefundable, so it's tough to swallow lol. Also, I don't remember them mentioning a particular date.
Oh wow. I would wait until the very last day that the deposit is due then call EVMS to see if they have a decision. Other then that, an acceptance at that school is better than no acceptance at schools come August. Hope you get in!
 
Isn't there an AAMC rule about deposits being no more than 100$? Could totally be mixing this up, just wasn't sure 🙂 also, if accepted into a top choice school, would you all withdraw from some/most of your interviews? The only reason I can think to keep them is for financial offer consideration down the road.

I've been dealing with the same issue. I feel like I don't really get a feel for a school until I'm there and unfortunately interviewing is my only chance to see the schools because I didn't do visits. I have cancelled interviews to schools that I definitely wouldn't pick over my current acceptances but other than that I'm going to the interviews I can afford to get to. I didn't have a clear front runner going into the cycle so it makes it more difficult for me to cancel interviews.
 
I'm planning on paying, but it's $1500, and it's nonrefundable, so it's tough to swallow lol. Also, I don't remember them mentioning a particular date.

I looked at MSAR and it reports that the deposit is $100 for OOS and IS people.. are you sure its $1500? That sounds like a DO kind of deposit to me
 
I've been dealing with the same issue. I feel like I don't really get a feel for a school until I'm there and unfortunately interviewing is my only chance to see the schools because I didn't do visits. I have cancelled interviews to schools that I definitely wouldn't pick over my current acceptances but other than that I'm going to the interviews I can afford to get to. I didn't have a clear front runner going into the cycle so it makes it more difficult for me to cancel interviews.
That's really good to know! I had a clear front runner going in and the interview solidified it as my top choice. I don't particularly want to spend money traveling to interviews for schools that I'm very sure I do not want to attend. I feel incredibly fortunate to have gotten my first choice on Oct 15th, but it just feels strange to be done this early. I keyed myself up for a lot of waiting haha
 
It is a DO deposit.

Totally read your post backwards. I thought you had an acceptance from EVMS and were waiting on another school! My bad!

On a side note, I wonder why DO deposits are so much more expensive? I work with someone and she is in the same predicament as you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Totally read your post backwards. I thought you had an acceptance from EVMS and were waiting on another school! My bad!

On a side note, I wonder why DO deposits are so much more expensive? I work with someone and she is in the same predicament as you

They don't want people hanging on to a seat as a backup... kinda like I might be doing lol.
 
That's really good to know! I had a clear front runner going in and the interview solidified it as my top choice. I don't particularly want to spend money traveling to interviews for schools that I'm very sure I do not want to attend. I feel incredibly fortunate to have gotten my first choice on Oct 15th, but it just feels strange to be done this early. I keyed myself up for a lot of waiting haha

I absolutely know how you feel. Then, I feel guilty about canceling interviews. It's a vicious cycle! Lol
 
To whoever cancelled their interview on 10/23, THANK YOU! EVMS called me today and now I'm interviewing here 10/23, woooohooo! Looking forward to seeing everyone there on Friday!
 
In case anyone missed this information when skimming through EVMS's website.

Doctor of Medicine Program Achievements, 2010-2014
  • USMLE Pass Rates: The pass rate (94%) and mean score (224) for the USMLE Step 1 at EVMS remain above the national pass rate of 93% and mean score of 223, respectively. For the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) examination, the EVMS mean score of 235.8 exceeds the national mean of 235.6, and the pass rate of 97.4 percent is equivalent to the national pass rate.
  • Graduation Surveys: 96% of graduates in the last five years indicated they were well prepared or very well prepared to begin their residency program, and 92% were satisfied or very satisfied with the quality of their medical education. Survey results and unsolicited comments from residency program directors indicate that our students are very well prepared to begin post-graduate training.
  • Residency Match Rates: Extensive career counseling occurs in individual, small group and large group settings. Our students are highly recruited by very competitive residency programs, and over the past five years 99% of our graduates have secured positions in graduate medical education.
  • Enrollment: Program enrollment increased from 118 students per class in 2010 to 150 students by 2014. We have a very large pool of highly qualified applicants, averaging 5,638 per year. In the past five years, the average GPA has increased from 3.53 to 3.71, and MCAT scores have increased from 30.95 to 32.29.
  • Attrition: Student attrition rate remain low at 4%.
  • Continuous Quality Improvement: EVMS faculty and students work to improve the curriculum in all years of the program. The Medical Education Committee, composed of faculty and students, in conjunction with the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs, systematically reviews all courses and clerkships on a regular basis and changes are made based upon a variety of indices including standardized course evaluations and student performance. The program is responsive to the changing environment in medical education, and major changes have focused on developing a curriculum that is student-centered, pedagogically contemporary, horizontally and vertically integrated, and considerate of the broader health needs of the community. To remain effective as an institution, changes are made when necessary based upon data obtained from focus groups, surveys, assessments and evaluations of student or faculty perceptions, knowledge, skills, attitude, and behaviors. In order to ensure that our graduates have acquired the knowledge and skills requisite for success in post graduate training programs, a newly developed course, Successful Transition to Effective Practice, has been implemented. This course encompasses all Entrustable Professional Activities, which is defined as tasks or responsibilities that trainees are entrusted to perform unsupervised once they have attained sufficient specific experience. We have also added service-learning activities to the curriculum that provide students an opportunity to engage in efforts to enhance the health of the community. Completion of projects and studies in service learning will culminate in a capstone presentation in the final year of medical school, and all service learning programs will include conferral of a nationally recognized certificate or other form of distinction.
 
So this is my first interview in a place that I'm not really going to be able to drive to. I've booked my tickets, but I'm still unsure about transport options. For those who interviewed an flied into ORF, did you guys just rent a car? Would there be any public transport options? I was disappointed to see no Uber here, but what can you do!
 
So this is my first interview in a place that I'm not really going to be able to drive to. I've booked my tickets, but I'm still unsure about transport options. For those who interviewed an flied into ORF, did you guys just rent a car? Would there be any public transport options? I was disappointed to see no Uber here, but what can you do!
There is definitely Uber there. I used it to get to and from the airport to where I stayed. I stayed right in the Ghent area near the school so a rental car was unnecessary.
 
Has anyone moved from being put on hold (no rejection but no interview at this time) to getting an interview invite in the last few cycles?
 
Heads up (or reminder) that EVMS is receptive to requests for status updates! I've been complete since 9/11 and was feeling a tad antsy, so I just called and the woman kindly informed me that I will be invited to interview. They send IIs out in batches and the next batch is supposedly going out next week.

Edit: and they're currently scheduling for December.
 
Last edited:
Heads up (or reminder) that EVMS is receptive to requests for status updates! I've been complete since 9/11 and was feeling a tad antsy, so I just called and the woman kindly informed me that I will be invited to interview. They send IIs out in batches and the next batch is supposedly going out next week.

Edit: and they're currently scheduling for December.

Thanks for the reminder. Just got told the same thing. Been a day of ups and downs.
 
Heads up (or reminder) that EVMS is receptive to requests for status updates! I've been complete since 9/11 and was feeling a tad antsy, so I just called and the woman kindly informed me that I will be invited to interview. They send IIs out in batches and the next batch is supposedly going out next week.

Edit: and they're currently scheduling for December.
Oh boy. I'll do that right after work. Fingers crossed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone moved from being put on hold (no rejection but no interview at this time) to getting an interview invite in the last few cycles?
I just got that info and tried to look at last years thread. I would say it happens because there were many people who were complete in the summer sometime and received interviews in January and February. So I'd say it's possible. Really hoping for an invite here.

Though I'm OOS, my entire family is in Hampton roads area and I'd love to go here.
 
Well. Placed on hold. But she said that I can send a letter of interest and that may help.

Hey so did she say the words "on hold"? When I called she said they looked at my app and I haven't been offered an interview yet but I'm not rejected. Same thing as hold you think?
 
Hey so did she say the words "on hold"? When I called she said they looked at my app and I haven't been offered an interview yet but I'm not rejected. Same thing as hold you think?
She said " the good news is that your app has been reviewed but has not been invited for an interview. You're in sort of a hold pattern and it'll be reviewed again later."
 
Heads up (or reminder) that EVMS is receptive to requests for status updates! I've been complete since 9/11 and was feeling a tad antsy, so I just called and the woman kindly informed me that I will be invited to interview. They send IIs out in batches and the next batch is supposedly going out next week.

Edit: and they're currently scheduling for December.
what'd you say when you called? Just asked for an application update? congrats on the interview btw!!
 
what'd you say when you called? Just asked for an application update? congrats on the interview btw!!

Yep, as @mheard92 said!

Though I'm OOS, my entire family is in Hampton roads area and I'd love to go here.

Sorry you got placed on hold. :/ Did you mention that your family's in the area in your secondary? Because they explicitly state that they give preference to people from that area.
 
Yep, as @mheard92 said!



Sorry you got placed on hold. :/ Did you mention that your family's in the area in your secondary? Because they explicitly state that they give preference to people from that area.
Oh yes I did. It was the whole theme of my why evms essay. So I'm trying to think of a new way to make my interest clear because she said that if I'm still interested I can just send something to them and they'll add it to my file. Not sure how to go about it though.
 
Oh yes I did. It was the whole theme of my why evms essay. So I'm trying to think of a new way to make my interest clear because she said that if I'm still interested I can just send something to them and they'll add it to my file. Not sure how to go about it though.

Aw man, that's a huge bummer, I'm sorry.
 
Aw man, that's a huge bummer, I'm sorry.
It's alright. From what it seems there were many that received the same thing and ended up getting interviews later on last year and eventually got accepted. And these people were complete even before I was, so I'm sure that there were plenty who didn't even know they had received that status and eventually got an interview. Im not too worried.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Crap. I interviewed about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back yet, but people from 10/14 seem to be hearing back...
Trying not to read into it too much...
I was going to wait until the 3 week mark to call but maybe I should call earlier...eh?
 
I got pulled off the waitlist earlier today! I'm so excited! 🙂

Edit: OOS, interviewed 9/18, waitlisted 10/15
Wow theyre doing this right away i didnt know that. im also OOS and got placed on the wl oct 15 after my 9/30 interview. im guessing you were on the top third?