You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For those who have interviewed, would any of you be willing to elaborate on the nature of the interview? ie. what kind of questions were asked, how long it was etc. etc.
OOS II Yesterday....Complete Sept 11. . Lizzy Score ~72.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have interviewed, would any of you be willing to elaborate on the nature of the interview? ie. what kind of questions were asked, how long it was etc. etc.
Hi! You can go to http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/evms. This will provide you with specific questions that applicants have been asked. I hope that helps. Good luck!
For those who have interviewed, would any of you be willing to elaborate on the nature of the interview? ie. what kind of questions were asked, how long it was etc. etc.
You'll be interviewed by 2-3 people, usually a physician, faculty member, and a medical student. One of them is an adcom member and has complete access to your file whereas I think the other ones will just have your activities and personal statement but not your stats. It was impossible for me to tell who was the adcom since they were both asking me questions derived directly from my app. My interview probably lasted 40-45 minutes, but I know there were some people that went for longer.
As for the questions themselves, know your app like the back of your hand. Be prepared to explain even the smallest detail. I got asked ethics questions about one of the activities I did in a shadowing experience like, 4 years ago. They also asked me a lot of questions about US healthcare, how I would change it, etc. I found these to be really tough, but I could tell that they were genuinely interested in picking my mind and pushing me a little past normal interview questions/answers. My interviewers this cycle were nice and conversational; however, I interviewed here 2 cycles ago, and my interviewers then were much less so... Really depends on the luck of the draw.
In my experience, EVMS has been the toughest interview for me in both cycles I've applied. Not to say that it'll be uncomfortable, but definitely brush up on your app, ethics, and healthcare.
I was told the same thing when I interviewed on September 9th, but I just called the admissions office and they told me that whoever told me I could call and get a decision gave me false information and they wouldn't release anything until October 15th. So if anyone else calls and actually gets a decision, let me know!
I interviewed 09/18, and they also said that they could give us an admissions decision before October 15th if we called. I even asked my interviewers about it, and they said give it like 3 weeks or so after the interview date. I wonder if it's worth it to try calling to see if I can get a different person from you who may be more willing to share admissions decisions 😛
I interviewed 09/18, and they also said that they could give us an admissions decision before October 15th if we called. I even asked my interviewers about it, and they said give it like 3 weeks or so after the interview date. I wonder if it's worth it to try calling to see if I can get a different person from you who may be more willing to share admissions decisions 😛
Hey! Same day!
Let us know if you bite the bullet and find out before October 15th 😛
Hey! Same day!
Let us know if you bite the bullet and find out before October 15th 😛
It'll be 3 weeks post-interview for us this Friday, so maybe I'll try then? I haven't had the best of luck with EVMS over the phone, but what have I got to lose? Also, side note, I feel like we've interviewed at a bunch of the same schools, so maybe see you next year? 😀
It'll be 3 weeks post-interview for us this Friday, so maybe I'll try then? I haven't had the best of luck with EVMS over the phone, but what have I got to lose? Also, side note, I feel like we've interviewed at a bunch of the same schools, so maybe see you next year? 😀
If you have any luck, I'll call too! 😛
and maybe we will end up at the same school! I wouldn't be sad to end up at any of the schools I've interviewed at (super excited about EVMS, though!). 🙂
The most confusing thing about that is why they would have such an obnoxiously jerky policy. Sorry :/Hi all,
I called the Admissions Office yesterday to inquire about the status of my application and had a very confusing convo. She said I was on hold, but that I would have to wait until the end of the cycle to be notified. Then I asked if I would be re-reviewed (trying to ask if I should send an update letter) and she said "why would you be re-reviewed? A final decision has already been made." I'm pretty confused by this conversation, since it sounds like I've been rejected, but I haven't received any emails or status updates, and she said explicitly that I would have to wait until the end of the cycle but won't be re-reviewed. Has anyone else experienced this when calling the EVMS Admissions Office? I was complete around 8/17, VA residency, lifelong Hampton Roads resident. If I'm not going to be re-reviewed and have been silently rejected, I think they should just let me know, but if I'm on hold and will be re-reviewed, I would like to send an update letter. Thanks all! Good luck to everyone!
It'll be 3 weeks post-interview for us this Friday, so maybe I'll try then? I haven't had the best of luck with EVMS over the phone, but what have I got to lose? Also, side note, I feel like we've interviewed at a bunch of the same schools, so maybe see you next year? 😀
You can try but I called last week and she was really sweet but said I had been misinformed and that they had been getting a lot of calls lately about that. She said normally the turn around is that time frame but not until after the 15th. She said, "Just hang tight."
Yeah I just called again and the lady did actually look up my file, but she told me a decision had not been made yet, which is pretty confusing because I interviewed a month ago. So I don't know if this is just a post-interview hold type of thing, or they still just aren't releasing anything until the 15th.I interviewed 09/18, and they also said that they could give us an admissions decision before October 15th if we called. I even asked my interviewers about it, and they said give it like 3 weeks or so after the interview date. I wonder if it's worth it to try calling to see if I can get a different person from you who may be more willing to share admissions decisions 😛
I called on Wednesday and politely asked for an application status. The secretary asked for my ID number then had me verify my name. She said it looks like you interviewed on September __ and then lowered her voice and said that I had been accepted into their program and gave me instructions on what to do come the following Thursday. Obviously, other people have not had the luck that I have had in calling but I'm just giving my success in my n=1 example. I know that during our admissions/financial aid presentation we were told that we could call after 3 weeks and they would let us know if we were accepted. I'm not sure if I had success since I interviewed very early in September and they had an answer or because I was lucky and got the nice secretary. Other then that, EVMS is a wonderful school and will definitely be very high on my list at which to matriculate. Good luck everyone!
Okay, so I just called, and the secretary I got didn't seem to be fussed about the whole "3 weeks post-interview even if it's before October 15th" thing, but when she looked up my file, she said a decision hadn't been made yet. Ugh, that's so frustrating. I hope it's not some kind of euphemism for "you've been rejected, and I just don't feel like telling you over the phone" 🙁
I interviewed the second week of September and called today to ask my application status (out of curiosity and practicality- don't want to go to fly to an interview Friday OOS if I have luck with IS and top choice EVMS). The woman was very nice, asked for my ID, and the "last contact" I had with EVMS. She also told me something along the lines of "decision hasn't been made yet". Cue the anxiety! Interesting though, because I called at the end of September, and they told me they could not say anything until the 15th. I did word my question differently the first time (very tentatively, "Sooo someone said we could call about our admissions status before Oct 15th...."). Ugh EVMS, let me love you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed the second week of September and called today to ask my application status (out of curiosity and practicality- don't want to go to fly to an interview Friday OOS if I have luck with IS and top choice EVMS). The woman was very nice, asked for my ID, and the "last contact" I had with EVMS. She also told me something along the lines of "decision hasn't been made yet". Cue the anxiety! Interesting though, because I called at the end of September, and they told me they could not say anything until the 15th. I did word my question differently the first time (very tentatively, "Sooo someone said we could call about our admissions status before Oct 15th...."). Ugh EVMS, let me love you!
I interviewed slightly after you, got the same answer, and the only other person to have received an actual decision interviewed early September, so maybe they really haven't gotten around to making decisions? That's really annoying though, if so... To be fair, I've heard that this application cycle has more applicants than ever and it's really wreaking havoc on some schools.
I interviewed slightly after you, got the same answer, and the only other person to have received an actual decision interviewed early September, so maybe they really haven't gotten around to making decisions? That's really annoying though, if so... To be fair, I've heard that this application cycle has more applicants than ever and it's really wreaking havoc on some schools.
This is likely the case!
Stay optimistic, guys!
Yeah, I'm not trying to worry too much about it! Completely out of our hands. Though I will be calling bright and early on the 15th before I get on my flight. Good luck everyone!! 😀
Hmm, I also interviewed on Sept 9th. I'm sure we must have met then, so hi again and congrats!
Accepted! OOS. Interviewed in mid-Sep. Extremely grateful and excited to meet future classmates.
Accepted! OOS. Interviewed in mid-Sep. Extremely grateful and excited to meet future classmates.
Congrats!
Did they call you or email you?
Checked my application status one last time this morning. Still "no decision". She said the next time they meet is Oct 26th and to check back then. Womp womp womp.
Waitlisted.
Bleh. I thought my interview went well. Guess not. =/
Bleh. I thought my interview went well. Guess not. =/
Bummer, email or call?
Via email.
Waitlisted.
Bleh. I thought my interview went well. Guess not. =/
Bleh, I was wait listed too. And I know the IS wait list moves about as fast as molasses in February.
You've got a few other schools to hear from though, so I wouldn't be too upset! 🙂
Looks like we interviewed on the same day, but I haven't heard anything. Hmmm
Don't worry I'm sure you'll hear back soon. They've just started to send out the results and its rather early in the morning!
For what it is worth, a friend told me that it depends how quickly your interviewer sat in on the committee and that it could be different for various interviewers - so if you interviewed on the same dates as other people and dont hear that could be why. I interviewed mid-Sept and am also hoping to hear later today!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JK now it says I'm on the waitlist 🙁 via email.
7
723794
Alternate list OOS. interviewed end of sep. to the guy who said "IS waitlist moves like molasses in february" does that mean they take more OOS applicants from the waitlist?
Did you find out via email?Alternate list OOS. interviewed end of sep. to the guy who said "IS waitlist moves like molasses in february" does that mean they take more OOS applicants from the waitlist?
Did anyone who interviewed on 9/23 or after get a status update? I'm not seeing anything in my inbox from EVMS.
First II!
I called today and am in the top third of the alternate list, so that's good news. Have the same question as @Richard_Rooster does the the OOS list move more quickly? I know it's probably mostly speculation at this point.
7
723794
Did you find out via email?
Did anyone who interviewed on 9/23 or after get a status update? I'm not seeing anything in my inbox from EVMS.
yes i found out by email. pretty apathetic email saying im on alternate list
7
723794
I called today and am in the top third of the alternate list, so that's good news. Have the same question as @Richard_Rooster does the the OOS list move more quickly? I know it's probably mostly speculation at this point.
i wonder whether being on top third is a big deal especially at this point since probably a lot more students are going to get added. one of my friends interviewed here last year spring also OOS and she was told she was in top third of waitlist and never got off.
i wonder whether being on top third is a big deal especially at this point since probably a lot more students are going to get added. one of my friends interviewed here last year spring also OOS and she was told she was in top third of waitlist and never got off.
Right, although, looking at threads from last year, it seems like some people have been getting off the alternate list quite early in the season. I'm hoping we both get good news soon!
As for the waitlist moving more slowly for IS than OOS, it's because IS people are more likely to keep their acceptance at EVMS than OOS since OOS can get accepted to their own state schools and will likely withdraw from EVMS for cheaper tuition, closer proximity to home, etc. I'm sure it's a similar situation at all state, public schools.
Feeling so frustrated right now because I'm waitlisted in the middle third again even though I have improved stats, ECs, LORs, and interview skills (imo) than the last time I applied here. I'm not sure what else they want me to do???? This whole process... 🙁 /rant.
As for the waitlist moving more slowly for IS than OOS, it's because IS people are more likely to keep their acceptance at EVMS than OOS since OOS can get accepted to their own state schools and will likely withdraw from EVMS for cheaper tuition, closer proximity to home, etc. I'm sure it's a similar situation at all state, public schools.
I've never thought about it like that, but it makes perfect sense!
7
723794
Feeling so frustrated right now because I'm waitlisted in the middle third again even though I have improved stats, ECs, LORs, and interview skills (imo) than the last time I applied here. I'm not sure what else they want me to do???? This whole process... 🙁 /rant.
ya i would be annoyed with that too. are you IS or OOS? positive part about the waitlist is that they would still be comfortable with having you in their class but youre not their first pick. did EVMS say anything about rejections? i wonder how many people got rejected after interviewing (if any) or whether it was roughly 50/50 accepted/waitlisted
Last edited by a moderator:
ya i would be annoyed with that too. are you IS or OOS? positive part about the waitlist is that they would still be comfortable with having you in their class but youre not their first pic. did EVMS say anything about rejections? i wonder how many people got rejected after interviewing (if any) or whether it was roughly 50/50 accepted/waitlisted
Not really sure about the number of people that are rejected post-interview

I'm IS, and like I said, the IS waitlist moves very slowly, so I'm thinking they're kinda politely rejecting me by sticking me in the middle third of the IS waitlist. Ah well, hoping to hear back from 2 other schools tomorrow, so I'm trying to stay positive.
7
723794
Not really sure about the number of people that are rejected post-interview
I'm IS, and like I said, the IS waitlist moves very slowly, so I'm thinking they're kinda politely rejecting me by sticking me in the middle third of the IS waitlist. Ah well, hoping to hear back from 2 other schools tomorrow, so I'm trying to stay positive.
Im looking forward to tomorrow as well. hearing back from 1 tomorrow and got one more interview in 2 weeks for now. good luck
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if it's worth it to submit the secondary tonight. Was going to withdraw from here to try and save some costs but was considering submitting anyways. Where are they in interviews?
OOS btw
OOS btw
Anyone interviewing on the 21st? 🙂
ACCEPTED!! This is one of my top choices!
I'm interviewing on the 21st!!! 🙂Anyone interviewing on the 21st? 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K