2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Paid on 7/2 ad didn't get the request. Guess this is the end of the line for me. Good luck to everyone

Same for me. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Also got a LOR request. Does anyone know from past thread what percentage of people who got LOR got interviewed? Is it a strong indication you'll get an interview or not so much?

Referencing the 2013-2014 thread...

"Here's some numbers that have been posted in previous years' threads:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)"

With that, Mayo's last application cycle had about 4700 applicants with 94 acceptances. Seeing as how the ratios seem to stay consistent, I'd bet on about 20% of applicants get LOR requests.

From a previous part of this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Better than being paid 7/2 with no LOR :(

Hopefully if they aren't going to send us a request, we'll get an email soon saying we are no longer being considered. The not knowing is kind of torturous.

Reactions: 1 user
Received LOR Request. Paid 7/6. Lizzy M 72-75...is it true Mayo is less stats driven than some other schools?
Yes, check out the MSAR for their ranges, they really love service and volunteer work.

Yes, check out the MSAR for their ranges, they really love service and volunteer work.

That's what I thought re service, and almost mentioned it, but then convinced myself "no way I would have made the cut." Super strong ECs, research, and clinical; close to no volunteer. Strong GPA, weaker MCAT. Perhaps they will view all my EC involvement as service to my school community (which, imo, it is).

Paid 7/4, LOR this morning.

A) so many people are up at 3am in this forum hhahahaa
B) I'm glad I didn't take a look back at this thread when people first got their LOR requests...I think we should remember to take a second and breathheeeeee. It looks like Mayo's sending LORs out in batches and even if you haven't gotten one yet, don't lose hope and don't stress out!

Hope everyone has an awesome cycle. Hoping to see some of ya'll in interviews ;)

Those of us up at 3:00 am your time probably hail from the west coast ~ these days secondaries have been keeping me up until 12-1 am :sleep:

That's what I thought re service, and almost mentioned it, but then convinced myself "no way I would have made the cut." Super strong ECs, research, and clinical; close to no volunteer. Strong GPA, weaker MCAT. Perhaps they will view all my EC involvement as service to my school community (which, imo, it is).

Similar boat regarding low volunteer hours here.

Just curious, for the LOR request do I need to do anything if they are all in AMCAS?

Just curious, for the LOR request do I need to do anything if they are all in AMCAS?
Nope! The email says something along the lines of, if they're already assigned through AMCAS then Mayo will start to retrieve them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone...incoming first year at Mayo checking in! It's hard to believe that orientation for my class starts in just a few short days (July 20th). It feels like only yesterday that I was frantically finishing up secondaries and waiting for interview invites from my schools. Before you know it, it will be summer 2016 and you will be in the same position!

My biggest piece of advice for you is to be patient. There are periods in the application process where there is nothing to do but wait. This is true of every school, including Mayo. Rest assured that your application will be given a thorough review at each step. Find ways to distract yourself through school, friends, or other activities!

Also, keep an open mind throughout the application cycle. Many of you probably have a few schools in mind that you feel are your absolute top choices. Don't be surprised if the interview process changes your personal ranking of some schools in either direction. You may find that some of the schools which you adored earlier in the summer have fallen to the bottom of your list by late winter. Alternatively, you might find yourself falling in love with a school that you didn't really consider much earlier. This is all part of the process and it will help guide you in the right direction come decision time.

Finally, never count yourself out without trying! I almost didn't apply to Mayo because I was intimidated by how selective the school was. But boy am I glad that I did!

I will try my best to check this thread periodically, but feel free to message me also if you have any questions. Best of luck!

Reactions: 20 users
Has anyone had mayo send them an email asking how they are going to fulfill a prereq?

Yes, I received this email and replied. I submitted my fee on 7/7, the day I got the email..nothing else from Mayo. Hope its not a bad sign.

Haha NVM... just received my LOR request! Fingers crossed.

Don't know. My letter request came in over a week ago, but they still haven't received my letters from AMCAS (which were uploaded on the 13th)

Just received confirmation that they've received my LORs. I received the request 2 days ago. This is exciting.

Reactions: 3 users
Any point in assigning letters before the LOR request email?

Any point in assigning letters before the LOR request email?
Yes, if you assign them before the request, they will automatically have access to them and just have to download them once they request them. Otherwise, they will have to wait.

I got the email saying my LOR were received. It also said my app was selected for final committee review. Does everyone get that?

Never even got the complete email - and I called yesterday, but the lady was beyond unfriendly or helpful

It took me a week to go from payment confirmation to LOR. Not sure about status, you could try emailing them.

Has anyone received an email confirming that LORs have been received? It looks like last year they were sending those out.

Application Verified/Processed through AMCAS: July 2nd
Application Rcvd Email: July 2nd
Request for Fee Email: July 2nd
Payment Confirmation Email: July 3rd
Fee Received Email: July 6th
Request for LOR: July 14th
LORs Received: July 17th

Hey, I was wondering if it is worth for me to apply to MAYO. I am Canadian hence I will considered international...

I have a 3.96 GPA however a low mcat (9P,6V,11B) :( and also some great experiences. Some of these include...
  • MD Shadowing
  • President of charity program
  • University Dance Team
  • Volunteered at multiple hospitals
  • Fundraiser founder
  • Multiple club executive positions
  • Leadership program volunteering
  • Dance Awards
  • Hospital Fundraising Award
  • Abroad Medical Volunteer
  • Intramural sports participation
  • And more...

I don't see why not! Shouldn't sell yourself short too soon~ Mayo seems to be a school that values your experiences and ECs much more than your stats ^_^ plus, no secondary essays so as long as you're willing to drop $200-ish, I think it'd be worth a shot?

Hey folks, do you think this section in the fee email "If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS." Implies that you may not get a LOR request email if you already assigned letters?

Fee received email on July 10th but nothing since, I assigned letters when I paid. OOS with 3.85 gpa and 41 MCAT, good ECs (or maybe not?). Seems like I'm getting started on the wrong foot haha.

Hey folks, do you think this section in the fee email "If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS." Implies that you may not get a LOR request email if you already assigned letters?

Fee received email on July 10th but nothing since, I assigned letters when I paid. OOS with 3.85 gpa and 41 MCAT, good ECs (or maybe not?). Seems like I'm getting started on the wrong foot haha.
I asked this question about a week ago, and those who had already added LOR to AMCAS still received an email requesting them

So it takes about a week for them to send out LOR requests?

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Mayo about paying the fee? :( And does getting LOR request mean anything?

So it takes about a week for them to send out LOR requests?

It took me 12 days to get an LOR request. Paid 7/3 LOR 7/15

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Mayo about paying the fee? :( And does getting LOR request mean anything?

According to numbers from previous cycles, only around 20% of applicants receive an LOR request. Hang tight! You never know how backed up an admissions office can be (take the Dell Medical School as an example on nebulous admissions procedures).

It took me 12 days to get an LOR request. Paid 7/3 LOR 7/15

According to numbers from previous cycles, only around 20% of applicants receive an LOR request. Hang tight! You never know how backed up an admissions office can be (take the Dell Medical School as an example on nebulous admissions procedures).
Thanks! Hmm so getting an LOR request means you passed some screening?

Verified and paid (fee waiver) 7/16, LOR request today. LizzyM 71.5ish
W00t!

Anyone know what goes into the screen? I just received a LOR request. Verified 7/14. LizzyM ~70 ORM. do have a lot of research experience though (3 national posters; 1 3rd author pub). While i do have volunteering, its not the highlight of my app and I was under the impression that mayo was service oriented.

Verified 7/13. LOR request received 7/20.
LizzyM 79

Last edited:
I also never got a file complete email from mayo, although I called and they said it was..... Now I'm neurotic there could be a computer glitch >.<

Anyone else feel abandoned at this point?

Received the fee request 7/2, paid 7/2.
For what it's worth, I didn't get the "Fee Received" email until they sent out that duplicate one on 7/13. Though I'm sure that didn't affect their actual receiving of the fee.

*sigh*

Anyone else feel abandoned at this point?

Received the fee request 7/2, paid 7/2.
For what it's worth, I didn't get the "Fee Received" email until they sent out that duplicate one on 7/13. Though I'm sure that didn't affect their actual receiving of the fee.

*sigh*
^^ same