2015-2016 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where can we get a hold of the past Match list for Meharry?
If you have the time, there is a video recording of match day 2015 on YouTube. It's in two parts. For a list, you might have to contact the school. I couldn't find one online that had institution names. Here's an abridged one from 2012, located at the bottom of the page: http://www.mmc.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/school-of-medicine/somadmissionfaqs.html

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Top 10% Waitlist:
AspiringDoc611 (2/1)
Manjoi (2/1)
King Alucard (2/1)
Swaggy P (2/5)
MedicineBoy1 (2/8)
Anthony3887 (2/8)
Sahgee (2/15)
TiSumpMD (2/22)
BlackWarriorPoet1 (2/29)
L'P (2/29)
SuccessisLife (3/21)
InDocWeTrust (3/21)
Camcam3 (?)
LeftyLadyDoc (3/21)
Sand Dude (?)

WaitList:
CSant2525 (2/8)

Members don't see this ad :)
To people who went to the March 21 interviews, were there anymore interview dates?

To people who went to the March 21 interviews, were there anymore interview dates?
I'm pretty sure there should be more interview dates after March 21st. When I was there on that date, they never mentioned nor confirmed that today was the last day for interviews. I didn't even see them say it on the email they sent me for my interview.

at the interview...I was told that interviews will end in march but wasn't told what the last day would be.

Last edited:

Nope, 3/21 was the last interview day (in fact, I was in the afternoon session and actually the last person to be called in and complete my interview haha).

i interviewed on 2/15 and was put on the regular waitlist :(

Top 10% Waitlist:
AspiringDoc611 (2/1)
Manjoi (2/1)
King Alucard (2/1)
Swaggy P (2/5)
MedicineBoy1 (2/8)
Anthony3887 (2/8)
Sahgee (2/15)
TiSumpMD (2/22)
BlackWarriorPoet1 (2/29)
L'P (2/29)
SuccessisLife (3/21)
InDocWeTrust (3/21)
LeftyLadyDoc (3/21)
Camcam3 (?)
Sand Dude (?)

WaitList:
CSant2525 (2/8)
Doctor247 (2/15)

Withdrawing my acceptance here and hoping it goes to one of you. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Top 10% Waitlist:
AspiringDoc611 (2/1)
Manjoi (2/1)
King Alucard (2/1)
Swaggy P (2/5)
MedicineBoy1 (2/8)
Anthony3887 (2/8)
Doctor4393 (2/8)
Sahgee (2/15)
TiSumpMD (2/22)
BlackWarriorPoet1 (2/29)
L'P (2/29)
SuccessisLife (3/21)
InDocWeTrust (3/21)
LeftyLadyDoc (3/21)
Camcam3 (?)
Sand Dude (?)

WaitList:
CSant2525 (2/8)
Doctor247 (2/15)

Just submitted my request to withdraw my acceptance at Meharry. I pray that my acceptance blesses the life of a deserving applicant currently on the wait list.
I am grateful have been accepted into medical and to have choices. To anyone who is currently applying this cycle, preparing to apply next cycle, or in the future, feel free to reach out to me with questions/advice/whatever. Assisting other URM students is what I'm passionate about.

Best wishes to everyone! Keep pushing and do NOT give up.
#WhiteCoatsForBlackLives
:=|:-):

Reactions: 14 users
Does anyone know if Meharry offers deferred enrollment? I can't find any info on it

Does anyone know if Meharry offers deferred enrollment? I can't find any info on it
That could be because they don't. Did you check the catalogue? Maybe you should call and ask. Why do you want to defer? If you don't mind me asking.

Hey there so I can provide just a tad bit of info on this :) meharry really appreciates more of what the person contributes to not only the diversity of the school but their mission of providing to others & the community (the saltwagon has A LOT to do with that). This typically trumps metrics, which do play a part in an applicants overall standing of course, but isn't all that they look at. & where you get into residency wholeheartedly depends on you & how you do in not only your classes but of course your Step. I can speak from first hand experience that people here do not have problems with competitive residencies. My sister could have gone to Harvard for internal medicine but DECIDED not for a variety of her own reasons. On her match day i saw people who matched at john hopkins for orthopedic surgery & at other big name schools for competitive spots. At the same time i knew friends & classmates of hers that didn't match & had to scramble or who didn't match at all that year. It all amounts to what you choose to make of the resources that they provide you because a school can only do so much no matter where it is that you go. The school puts your foot in the door that is becoming a doctor, it is then your decision if you're going to bust that door wide open or if you're going to let it slam shut. All in all, Meharry is an amazing school that values the person you are & the experiences that brought you to this point & they will do all that they can to prepare you but where you go from there is based on your efforts.

Congrats to your sister!! It doesn't totally depend on you. Residency programs have to rank you as well and some schools/programs have regional bias. Also, but how did she decide not to go....did you mean she decided not to rank them as #1. I know the match is a computer algorithm.

Congrats to your sister!! It doesn't totally depend on you. Residency programs have to rank you as well and some schools/programs have regional bias. Also, but how did she decide not to go....did you mean she decided not to rank them as #1. I know the match is a computer algorithm.

Thank you! & Yup she decided not to rank it number 1 despite things going very very well & getting quasi love letters from the staff lol. She decided to rank other places higher

For those of you on the 10% wait list, did you already fill out your fafsa? Or are you waiting to hear back first?

For those of you on the 10% wait list, did you already fill out your fafsa? Or are you waiting to hear back first?
I just filled out my fafsa 2 days ago. I was really confused on if it was the best time to do so since I'm still on the 10% waitlist. However, I completed it just to be safe and so the process can be much quicker.

I sent mine in a few weeks after my interview before i knew my status

I just filled out my fafsa 2 days ago. I was really confused on if it was the best time to do so since I'm still on the 10% waitlist. However, I completed it just to be safe and so the process can be much quicker.
Okay, I think I may just do it now then to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know the avg mcat? Online it says 26 ish but i feel like that's sooo low for a MD school... Thoughts? Also for those of you who were accepted - mind sharing stats?

Yeah i know every school looks at everything in your app. But if you look at all the other MD schools - the avg mcat is around 30 ish. But mcm avg is around 26. While i know someone with a 496 who got in. But I'm sure people with 505+ got rejected. Im just curious as to why the avg is a bit low. Haha I'm not complaining, i like the low average! Gives people like me hope! Thoughts? Does anyone happen to know their match list? I cant seem to find it online.

they don't only look at an applicant's mcat...you could have a 30/508 and get rejected.

Yeah i know every school looks at everything in your app. But if you look at all the other MD schools - the avg mcat is around 30 ish. But mcm avg is around 26. While i know someone with a 496 who got in. But I'm sure people with 505+ got rejected. Im just curious as to why the avg is a bit low. Haha I'm not complaining, i like the low average! Gives people like me hope! Thoughts? Does anyone happen to know their match list? I cant seem to find it online.

but thats the problem...you can't just look at the mcat average and think "of course I'm going to get in" they really do look at everything and your application must align with the mission statement of helping the underserved in the future as a physician as well as your responses during the interview. Also being passionate about the school has to be apparent, they really can tell who wants to genuinely go to meharry and who applied bc "it's a med school." actually there are other MD medical schools hbcu and pwi that have averages below a 30.

but thats the problem...you can't just look at the mcat average and think "of course I'm going to get in" they really do look at everything and your application must align with the mission statement of helping the underserved in the future as a physician as well as your responses during the interview. Also being passionate about the school has to be apparent, they really can tell who wants to genuinely go to meharry and who applied bc "it's a med school." actually there are other MD medical schools hbcu and pwi that have averages below a 30.

Preach :clap:

Anyone got any updates? Do you think we will see any waitlist movement before May 1st?

Anyone future Meharry students interested in an apartment? There is a spacious 2 bedroom at Western Hills (415 Watts Circle) that will be going for 1075 a month. It is only 5 minutes drive by car . Inbox me if you are interested for pictures and more info

Hello future doctors,
I am a current MHS student and will be a M1 next year. I'm looking female roommate for next year. I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment on campus in Morena A, the new one campus building. Rent is just $725. Message me if you are interested!!

Just wanted to give y'all a rundown per my phone call/ experience (or lack thereof)

I was ranked on the top 10% of the waitinglist last year. They said that last year they had to dig deep into their waiting list beyond top 10%, so clearly it didn't mean too much.
I'm on the waiting list this year (it didn't specify to 10%). I called and asked about 2-3 weeks ago if the waiting list was ranked, I was told it is ranked, but they had not officially ranked it. That's a process they are probably doing now (maybe they've completed), as they said they would start ranking after they've interviewed all. So I believe that until they make that final ranked list, people could shift up or down.
It is possible that because the e-mails sent are in fact templates, things get thrown around(the two emails vary by like less than 5 words), or that because it is a working list things could change, and that's why in the e-mail it says they are "recommending" top 10%.
Movement should start May 1. I'm not sure if any will happen beforehand, but that is what I was told.

Either way, best of luck to EVERYONE! Dreams do come true guys!

Just wanted to give y'all a rundown per my phone call/ experience (or lack thereof)

I was ranked on the top 10% of the waitinglist last year. They said that last year they had to dig deep into their waiting list beyond top 10%, so clearly it didn't mean too much.
I'm on the waiting list this year (it didn't specify to 10%). I called and asked about 2-3 weeks ago if the waiting list was ranked, I was told it is ranked, but they had not officially ranked it. That's a process they are probably doing now (maybe they've completed), as they said they would start ranking after they've interviewed all. So I believe that until they make that final ranked list, people could shift up or down.
It is possible that because the e-mails sent are in fact templates, things get thrown around(the two emails vary by like less than 5 words), or that because it is a working list things could change, and that's why in the e-mail it says they are "recommending" top 10%.
Movement should start May 1. I'm not sure if any will happen beforehand, but that is what I was told.

I don't really understand this part...Meharry overall seemed organized and prob wouldn't want to confuse/mislead ppl in this way....

thanks for the info!
So you were placed on the top 10% wait list last year and you did not get accepted?

thanks for the info!
So you were placed on the top 10% wait list last year and you did not get accepted?
Correct.

And that also makes sense why during our interview they told us that they weren't ranking people yet. I'm sure it isn't intentional to mislead. Perhaps there is a miscommunication?

Correct.

And that also makes sense why during our interview they told us that they weren't ranking people yet. I'm sure it isn't intentional to mislead. Perhaps there is a miscommunication?

I agree. Even during my interview they said they weren't ranking people in 10% WL. However, if this was truly a mistake, then wouldn't more people get 10% WL? They have been consistently giving it to 2-3 people/ interview date.

I agree. Even during my interview they said they weren't ranking people in 10% WL. However, if this was truly a mistake, then wouldn't more people get 10% WL? They have been consistently giving it to 2-3 people/ interview date.

can you further explain what this all means bc i was told that the 10% waitlist is ranked...

Waitlist itself is ranked, but I meant to say they wouldn't be assigning top 10% WL. They will just have one big regular waitlist. If that makes sense?

Waitlist itself is ranked, but I meant to say they wouldn't be assigning top 10% WL. They will just have one big regular waitlist. If that makes sense?

oh...there are definitely two separate waitlists was told that they choose from the top 10% list first....over the phone...spoke to one of the admissions managers. why would they say that if they weren't assigning it? I don't believe any emails were mixed up.

Last edited:
All this hubbub means is the top 10% isn't a guaranteed acceptance like some others have alluded to. Who cares what goes on behind the scenes?

Anyone got any updates? Do you think we will see any waitlist movement before May 1st?
Someone in my interview group asked Mr. Cane when we should expect to start seeing movement off of the waiting list, and he mentioned April 15th as an important date and from here on out, we should begin to check our emails very often (as if I don't already!) and have money for the deposit set aside to reserve your spot quickly if accepted. I know in previous years, movement didn't start until May, but this year they interviewed less applicants so maybe they'll speed up the process a bit. I hope we find out real soon; this whole waiting bit is torture!

Someone in my interview group asked Mr. Cane when we should expect to start seeing movement off of the waiting list, and he mentioned April 15th as an important date and from here on out, we should begin to check our emails very often (as if I don't already!) and have money for the deposit set aside to reserve your spot quickly if accepted. I know in previous years, movement didn't start until May, but this year they interviewed less applicants so maybe they'll speed up the process a bit. I hope we find out real soon; this whole waiting bit is torture!
I'm not too sure what you mean by he said it was an important date. Did he specifically say to expect movement after this day?